Debian Bug report logs - #733743
ITP: libnih.la -- portable libnih implementation

Package: wnpp; Maintainer for wnpp is wnpp@debian.org;

Reported by: Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org>

Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 14:51:02 UTC

Owned by: Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org>

Severity: wishlist

Reply or subscribe to this bug.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, xnox@debian.org, debian-devel@lists.debian.org, debian-ctte@lists.debian.org, debian-bsd@lists.debian.org, scott@netsplit.com, rra@debian.org, wnpp@debian.org:
Bug#733743; Package wnpp. (Tue, 31 Dec 2013 14:51:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to xnox@debian.org, debian-devel@lists.debian.org, debian-ctte@lists.debian.org, debian-bsd@lists.debian.org, scott@netsplit.com, rra@debian.org, wnpp@debian.org. (Tue, 31 Dec 2013 14:51:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: ITP: libnih.la -- portable libnih implementation
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 14:46:38 +0000
Package: wnpp
Owner: Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org>
Severity: wishlist

* Package name    : libnih.la
  Version         : 1.0.4 (git snapshot)
  Upstream Author : Dimitri John Ledkov (DD), Scott James Remnant (DD)
* URL or Web page : https://github.com/xnox/libnih/tree/kfreebsd http://libnih.la/
* License         : GPL v2
  Architecture    : kfreebsd-any (hurd-any - maybe later)
  Description     : portable libnih implementation


I would like to package a temporary fork of libnih, which has been
ported to kFreeBSD/eglibc platform. My plan for this package is to
provide same packages as the src:libnih, but for non-Linux ports
only. At the moment I have a port to kFreeBSD/eglibc.

This is separate source package as the supported set of APIs is not yet
fully same as of the Linux port of libnih. For example kqueue/kevent
technology is not yet used to provide, e.g. file level notification as
done with inotify in the linux port.

Some of my patches have already been accepted upstream
(https://github.com/keybuk/libnih), others are under review and some are
not ready for submission yet.

All libnih test-suite passes on kFreeBSD for those components that have
been ported.

Together with this effort, I am staging patches for Upstart itself for
kFreeBSD/eglibc https://code.launchpad.net/~xnox/upstart/kfreebsd. It
compiles, but at the moment is still incomplete. The test-suite does not
pass yet and there are no kFreeBSD specific bridges yet (e.g. devd
events, instead of udev, etc.). I'm hoping to have a bootable
kFreeBSD/eglibc port soon, with full support ahead of Jessie freeze on
5th of November 2014.

The requirements for libnih/kfreebsd, at the moment are, eglibc 2.18 &
kFreeBSD kernels with fixed waitid/wait6 syscalls. These are all present
in Debian experimental. Alternatively, if lower eglibc versions are
required I could easily use wait6 syscall directely, without eglibc
wrapper. In that case only requirements would be patched kFreeBSD
kernels for the kern/184002
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=184002&cat= bug which I
discovered in FreeBSD. It's fixed in current/11, and is on track to be
fixed in 9.2, 10 stable updates. I believe patch for that issue is
already in debian packaging of FreeBSD kernels.

I haven't started HURD port just yet, as I'm more familiar with
FreeBSD.

Regards,

Dimitri.



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org>:
Bug#733743; Package wnpp. (Tue, 31 Dec 2013 15:27:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to cameron <camerontnorman@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org>. (Tue, 31 Dec 2013 15:27:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: cameron <camerontnorman@gmail.com>
To: Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org>, 733743@bugs.debian.org
Cc: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: Re: Bug#733743: ITP: libnih.la -- portable libnih implementation
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 15:17:16 -0008
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Dmitri,

Why do you not use libinotify-kqueue? I know you mentioned not wanting 
to have a lot of external dependencies, but I think using that library 
will allow other linux applications to more easily port to kFreeBSD.

Great work,
Cameron Norman

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 6:46 AM, Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org> 
wrote:
> Package: wnpp
> Owner: Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org>
> Severity: wishlist
> 
> * Package name    : libnih.la
>   Version         : 1.0.4 (git snapshot)
>   Upstream Author : Dimitri John Ledkov (DD), Scott James Remnant (DD)
> * URL or Web page : https://github.com/xnox/libnih/tree/kfreebsd 
> http://libnih.la/
> * License         : GPL v2
>   Architecture    : kfreebsd-any (hurd-any - maybe later)
>   Description     : portable libnih implementation
> 
> 
> I would like to package a temporary fork of libnih, which has been
> ported to kFreeBSD/eglibc platform. My plan for this package is to
> provide same packages as the src:libnih, but for non-Linux ports
> only. At the moment I have a port to kFreeBSD/eglibc.
> 
> This is separate source package as the supported set of APIs is not 
> yet
> fully same as of the Linux port of libnih. For example kqueue/kevent
> technology is not yet used to provide, e.g. file level notification as
> done with inotify in the linux port.
> 
> Some of my patches have already been accepted upstream
> (https://github.com/keybuk/libnih), others are under review and some 
> are
> not ready for submission yet.
> 
> All libnih test-suite passes on kFreeBSD for those components that 
> have
> been ported.
> 
> Together with this effort, I am staging patches for Upstart itself for
> kFreeBSD/eglibc https://code.launchpad.net/~xnox/upstart/kfreebsd. It
> compiles, but at the moment is still incomplete. The test-suite does 
> not
> pass yet and there are no kFreeBSD specific bridges yet (e.g. devd
> events, instead of udev, etc.). I'm hoping to have a bootable
> kFreeBSD/eglibc port soon, with full support ahead of Jessie freeze on
> 5th of November 2014.
> 
> The requirements for libnih/kfreebsd, at the moment are, eglibc 2.18 &
> kFreeBSD kernels with fixed waitid/wait6 syscalls. These are all 
> present
> in Debian experimental. Alternatively, if lower eglibc versions are
> required I could easily use wait6 syscall directely, without eglibc
> wrapper. In that case only requirements would be patched kFreeBSD
> kernels for the kern/184002
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=184002&cat= bug which I
> discovered in FreeBSD. It's fixed in current/11, and is on track to be
> fixed in 9.2, 10 stable updates. I believe patch for that issue is
> already in debian packaging of FreeBSD kernels.
> 
> I haven't started HURD port just yet, as I'm more familiar with
> FreeBSD.
> 
> Regards,
> 
> Dimitri.
> 
> 
> -- 
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact 
> listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/87wqil13jl.fsf@ubuntu.com
> 
> 
[Message part 2 (text/html, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org>:
Bug#733743; Package wnpp. (Tue, 31 Dec 2013 15:27:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to cameron <camerontnorman@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org>. (Tue, 31 Dec 2013 15:27:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org:
Bug#733743; Package wnpp. (Tue, 31 Dec 2013 16:09:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org. (Tue, 31 Dec 2013 16:09:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 733743@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org>
To: cameron <camerontnorman@gmail.com>
Cc: 733743@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#733743: ITP: libnih.la -- portable libnih implementation
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 16:04:53 +0000
On 31 December 2013 15:25, cameron <camerontnorman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dmitri,
>
> Why do you not use libinotify-kqueue? I know you mentioned not wanting to
> have a lot of external dependencies, but I think using that library will
> allow other linux applications to more easily port to kFreeBSD.
>

I have packaged it and attempted to use it. [1] Unfortunately it
doesn't provide sufficient compatibility and I see a lot of unit-test
failures.
Instead of enabling something partially broken, i'd rather not provide
the facility full stop and instead implement a native kqueue/kevent.
Granted I could spend time improving libinotify-kqueue. At the moment
I'm focusing on booting a kFreeBSD/eglibc system with upstart, since
file notifications are optional in upstart (well to be precise, they
may fail / raise errors at runtime and upstart handles that
gracefully)

[1] http://packages.qa.debian.org/libi/libinotify-kqueue.html

Regards,

Dimitri.



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org>:
Bug#733743; Package wnpp. (Tue, 31 Dec 2013 18:09:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org>. (Tue, 31 Dec 2013 18:09:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #25 received at 733743@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
To: Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org>, 733743@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#733743: ITP: libnih.la -- portable libnih implementation
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 18:07:20 +0000
Dimitri John Ledkov writes ("Bug#733743: ITP: libnih.la -- portable libnih implementation"):
> I would like to package a temporary fork of libnih, which has been
> ported to kFreeBSD/eglibc platform. My plan for this package is to
> provide same packages as the src:libnih, but for non-Linux ports
> only. At the moment I have a port to kFreeBSD/eglibc.

Thanks for this work.

I don't have an opinion on whether this temporary fork is the right
way to manage the code here.

Ian.



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org>:
Bug#733743; Package wnpp. (Wed, 01 Jan 2014 20:57:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Robert Millan <rmh@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org>. (Wed, 01 Jan 2014 20:57:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #30 received at 733743@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Robert Millan <rmh@debian.org>
To: Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org>, 733743@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#733743: ITP: libnih.la -- portable libnih implementation
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2014 21:52:27 +0100
Hi Dimitri,

On 31/12/2013 15:46, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
> I would like to package a temporary fork of libnih, which has been
> ported to kFreeBSD/eglibc platform. My plan for this package is to
> provide same packages as the src:libnih, but for non-Linux ports
> only. At the moment I have a port to kFreeBSD/eglibc.
> 
> This is separate source package as the supported set of APIs is not yet
> fully same as of the Linux port of libnih. For example kqueue/kevent
> technology is not yet used to provide, e.g. file level notification as
> done with inotify in the linux port.
> 
> Some of my patches have already been accepted upstream
> (https://github.com/keybuk/libnih), others are under review and some are
> not ready for submission yet.
> 
> All libnih test-suite passes on kFreeBSD for those components that have
> been ported.
> 
> Together with this effort, I am staging patches for Upstart itself for
> kFreeBSD/eglibc https://code.launchpad.net/~xnox/upstart/kfreebsd. It
> compiles, but at the moment is still incomplete. The test-suite does not
> pass yet and there are no kFreeBSD specific bridges yet (e.g. devd
> events, instead of udev, etc.). I'm hoping to have a bootable
> kFreeBSD/eglibc port soon, with full support ahead of Jessie freeze on
> 5th of November 2014.

I assume porting Upstart is the whole reason you've ported libnih?

I haven't been following the discussion about Upstart vs Systemd vs OpenRC
debate. Are you doing this because you expect that Upstart will be adopted?

> The requirements for libnih/kfreebsd, at the moment are, eglibc 2.18 &
> kFreeBSD kernels with fixed waitid/wait6 syscalls. These are all present
> in Debian experimental.

Note the waitid/wait6 fix is in unstable, too (since 10.0~svn258623-1).

> Alternatively, if lower eglibc versions are
> required I could easily use wait6 syscall directely, without eglibc
> wrapper. In that case only requirements would be patched kFreeBSD
> kernels for the kern/184002
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=184002&cat= bug which I
> discovered in FreeBSD.

If I had to choose, I think I'd rather break old libc than break old
kernels. The former is readily fixed by proper use of Depends field,
while the later breaks kfreebsd-downloader and all sort of chroot/jail
environments.

> It's fixed in current/11, and is on track to be
> fixed in 9.2, 10 stable updates.

Uhm doesn't seem so. Nobody MFCed it to stable/10 yet. I think we can
take 10.1 support for granted. 10.0 is probably difficult (but I will
try anyway).

-- 
Robert Millan



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org>:
Bug#733743; Package wnpp. (Tue, 21 Jan 2014 03:24:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Dmitry Matveev <me@dmitrymatveev.co.uk>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org>. (Tue, 21 Jan 2014 03:24:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #35 received at 733743@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Dmitry Matveev <me@dmitrymatveev.co.uk>
To: Dmitrijs Ledkovs <xnox@debian.org>, <733743@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: Re: Bug#733743: ITP: libnih.la -- portable libnih implementation
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 07:21:20 +0400
Hi Dimitri,

Thanks for packaging libinotify-kqueue for Debian.

> I have packaged it and attempted to use it. [1] Unfortunately it
> doesn't provide sufficient compatibility and I see a lot of unit-test
> failures.

Could you please specify which tests fail on Debian/kFreeBSD?

IN_OPEN, IN_CLOSE_WRITE, IN_CLOSE_NOWRITE will always fail because 
there seems no way to implement it with a stock kqueue().
Does Upstart really need it for work?

Other notifications are implemented and working.

With best regards,
Dmitry



Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Sun Apr 20 19:22:41 2014; Machine Name: beach.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.