Debian Bug report logs - #732360
ITP: ismrmrd -- ISMRM Raw Data Format

Package: wnpp; Maintainer for wnpp is wnpp@debian.org;

Reported by: Ghislain Vaillant <ghisvail@gmail.com>

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 08:45:02 UTC

Owned by: Ghislain Vaillant <ghisvail@gmail.com>

Severity: wishlist

Reply or subscribe to this bug.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, debian-devel@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org:
Bug#732360; Package wnpp. (Tue, 17 Dec 2013 08:45:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ghislain Vaillant <ghisvail@gmail.com>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to debian-devel@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org. (Tue, 17 Dec 2013 08:45:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ghislain Vaillant <ghisvail@gmail.com>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: ITP: ismrmrd -- ISMRM Raw Data Format
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 08:41:07 +0000
Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist
Owner: Ghislain Vaillant <ghisvail@gmail.com>

* Package name    : ismrmrd
  Version         : 2013.20130706
  Upstream Author : Michael S. Hansen <michael.hansen@nih.gov>
* URL             : http://ismrmrd.sourceforge.net/
* License         : MIT
  Programming Lang: C++
  Description     : ISMRM Raw Data Format

A prerequisite for sharing magnetic resonance (imaging) reconstruction
algorithms and code is a common raw data format. This standard was developed by
a subcommittee of the ISMRM Sedona 2013 workshop.



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Ghislain Vaillant <ghisvail@gmail.com>:
Bug#732360; Package wnpp. (Sun, 16 Mar 2014 20:09:15 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Andreas Tille <andreas@fam-tille.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Ghislain Vaillant <ghisvail@gmail.com>. (Sun, 16 Mar 2014 20:09:15 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 732360@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Andreas Tille <andreas@fam-tille.de>
To: 732360@bugs.debian.org
Cc: Debian Science Maintainers <debian-science-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Subject: Please privide pristine-tar branch
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 21:04:09 +0100
Hi Ghislain,

I would like to sponsor ismrmrd but there are some issues with the
packaging.

  1. The pristine-tar branch is missing.  Please use
         git import-orig --pristine-tar <origtarball>
     as it is explained in the team policy

  2. Please set the Science team mailing list as Maintainer and
     yourself as Uploader (as explained in team policy)

  3. If you have good reasons to stick to debhelper compat
     level 8 please mention them in debian/README.source
     otherwise please use level 9

Kind regards

        Andreas.

-- 
http://fam-tille.de



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org:
Bug#732360; Package wnpp. (Sun, 16 Mar 2014 21:15:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ghislain Vaillant <ghisvail@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org. (Sun, 16 Mar 2014 21:15:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 732360@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ghislain Vaillant <ghisvail@gmail.com>
To: 732360@bugs.debian.org
Cc: Debian Science Maintainers <debian-science-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Subject: Re: Bug#732360: Please privide pristine-tar branch
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 21:11:12 +0000
Hi Andreas,

On Sun, 2014-03-16 at 21:04 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi Ghislain,
> 
> I would like to sponsor ismrmrd but there are some issues with the
> packaging.
> 
Thank you for stepping-up again to mentor one of my packages.

>   1. The pristine-tar branch is missing.  Please use
>          git import-orig --pristine-tar <origtarball>
>      as it is explained in the team policy
> 
The source distribution is a zip file that certainly needs a repack to a
suitable tarball format. I have been doing it manually so far. 

>   2. Please set the Science team mailing list as Maintainer and
>      yourself as Uploader (as explained in team policy)
> 
Done

>   3. If you have good reasons to stick to debhelper compat
>      level 8 please mention them in debian/README.source
>      otherwise please use level 9
Reason is that I tested the package on Ubuntu LTS before (personal PPA),
where setting debhelper to v9 was not possible.


The ultimate goal is to have the package accepted in Debian, but
upstream would also like to support the current Ubuntu LTS. I wanted to
avoid duplicating my packaging effort, hence some of the choices above.
If you can suggest better pieces of advice regarding this issue, I'd be
keen on hearing from them. 

> 
> Kind regards
> 
>         Andreas.
> 

Cheers,

Ghislain





Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Ghislain Vaillant <ghisvail@gmail.com>:
Bug#732360; Package wnpp. (Mon, 17 Mar 2014 12:18:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Ghislain Vaillant <ghisvail@gmail.com>. (Mon, 17 Mar 2014 12:18:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 732360@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu>
To: Ghislain Vaillant <ghisvail@gmail.com>
Cc: 732360@bugs.debian.org, Debian Science Maintainers <debian-science-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Subject: Re: Bug#732360: Please privide pristine-tar branch
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 13:14:52 +0100
Hi Ghislain,

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 09:11:12PM +0000, Ghislain Vaillant wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-03-16 at 21:04 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > I would like to sponsor ismrmrd but there are some issues with the
> > packaging.
> > 
> Thank you for stepping-up again to mentor one of my packages.

Sure, that's fine.  I was aware of some "rush" of sponsees when I
started SoB. :-)
 
> >   1. The pristine-tar branch is missing.  Please use
> >          git import-orig --pristine-tar <origtarball>
> >      as it is explained in the team policy
> > 
> The source distribution is a zip file that certainly needs a repack to a
> suitable tarball format. I have been doing it manually so far. 

Well, but finally you *have* created some orig.tar.gz which is the basis
of your packaging.  Specifically if you can not use the download from
upstream you should inject this into Git to make sure we will use the
very same tarball.
 
> >   2. Please set the Science team mailing list as Maintainer and
> >      yourself as Uploader (as explained in team policy)
> > 
> Done

OK.
 
> >   3. If you have good reasons to stick to debhelper compat
> >      level 8 please mention them in debian/README.source
> >      otherwise please use level 9
> Reason is that I tested the package on Ubuntu LTS before (personal PPA),
> where setting debhelper to v9 was not possible.
> 
> 
> The ultimate goal is to have the package accepted in Debian, but
> upstream would also like to support the current Ubuntu LTS. I wanted to
> avoid duplicating my packaging effort, hence some of the choices above.
> If you can suggest better pieces of advice regarding this issue, I'd be
> keen on hearing from them. 

Well, this is somehow a reason.  I was not aware that Ubuntu LTS is
lagging behind that much.  I do not want to spoil your final target but
in this case you should make sure manually that the test suite will be
run in the build process.  In my eyes this is the most important feature
of debhelper compat 9 and I do not really care about the version number
but the functionality of running a test if it is available.  So I would
like you to

  1. Put the paragraph above as explanation for using debhelper 8 in
     debian/README.source (just to make sure that we will not forget
     and also put the exact LTS version in since the next LTS version
     will surely have debhelper 9)

  2. Make sure the test suite will be run successfully in the build
     process.
 
BTW, when speaking about the test suite:  An autopkgtest control file
would be also a very welcome feature.  I think if we are talking about
science we should test our packages as best as possible.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

-- 
http://fam-tille.de



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org:
Bug#732360; Package wnpp. (Thu, 03 Apr 2014 14:09:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ghislain Vaillant <ghisvail@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org. (Thu, 03 Apr 2014 14:09:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #25 received at 732360@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ghislain Vaillant <ghisvail@gmail.com>
To: 732360@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#732360: Please privide pristine-tar branch
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 15:06:51 +0100
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Hi Andreas,

Quick update on this:

- I have provided the upstream source tarball for v0.5.0,

- I have dropped the idea of packaging for Ubuntu for now, so I am now on
Debhelper and compat v9,

- The package is now lintian-free.

Cheers,

Ghislain


2014-03-17 12:14 GMT+00:00 Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu>:

> Hi Ghislain,
>
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 09:11:12PM +0000, Ghislain Vaillant wrote:
> > On Sun, 2014-03-16 at 21:04 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > > I would like to sponsor ismrmrd but there are some issues with the
> > > packaging.
> > >
> > Thank you for stepping-up again to mentor one of my packages.
>
> Sure, that's fine.  I was aware of some "rush" of sponsees when I
> started SoB. :-)
>
> > >   1. The pristine-tar branch is missing.  Please use
> > >          git import-orig --pristine-tar <origtarball>
> > >      as it is explained in the team policy
> > >
> > The source distribution is a zip file that certainly needs a repack to a
> > suitable tarball format. I have been doing it manually so far.
>
> Well, but finally you *have* created some orig.tar.gz which is the basis
> of your packaging.  Specifically if you can not use the download from
> upstream you should inject this into Git to make sure we will use the
> very same tarball.
>
> > >   2. Please set the Science team mailing list as Maintainer and
> > >      yourself as Uploader (as explained in team policy)
> > >
> > Done
>
> OK.
>
> > >   3. If you have good reasons to stick to debhelper compat
> > >      level 8 please mention them in debian/README.source
> > >      otherwise please use level 9
> > Reason is that I tested the package on Ubuntu LTS before (personal PPA),
> > where setting debhelper to v9 was not possible.
> >
> >
> > The ultimate goal is to have the package accepted in Debian, but
> > upstream would also like to support the current Ubuntu LTS. I wanted to
> > avoid duplicating my packaging effort, hence some of the choices above.
> > If you can suggest better pieces of advice regarding this issue, I'd be
> > keen on hearing from them.
>
> Well, this is somehow a reason.  I was not aware that Ubuntu LTS is
> lagging behind that much.  I do not want to spoil your final target but
> in this case you should make sure manually that the test suite will be
> run in the build process.  In my eyes this is the most important feature
> of debhelper compat 9 and I do not really care about the version number
> but the functionality of running a test if it is available.  So I would
> like you to
>
>   1. Put the paragraph above as explanation for using debhelper 8 in
>      debian/README.source (just to make sure that we will not forget
>      and also put the exact LTS version in since the next LTS version
>      will surely have debhelper 9)
>
>   2. Make sure the test suite will be run successfully in the build
>      process.
>
> BTW, when speaking about the test suite:  An autopkgtest control file
> would be also a very welcome feature.  I think if we are talking about
> science we should test our packages as best as possible.
>
> Kind regards
>
>        Andreas.
>
> --
> http://fam-tille.de
>
[Message part 2 (text/html, inline)]

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Sat Apr 19 12:39:19 2014; Machine Name: beach.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.