Debian Bug report logs - #721845
ITP: flashproxy -- ephemeral browser-based pluggable transport for Tor

Package: wnpp; Maintainer for wnpp is wnpp@debian.org;

Reported by: Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 14:45:04 UTC

Owned by: Ximin Luo <infinity0@pwned.gg>

Severity: wishlist

Fix blocked by 737944: RFS: flashproxy/1.5-1 [ITP]

Reply or subscribe to this bug.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, debian-devel@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org:
Bug#721845; Package wnpp. (Wed, 04 Sep 2013 14:45:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to debian-devel@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org. (Wed, 04 Sep 2013 14:45:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: ITP: flashproxy -- ephemeral browser-based pluggable transport for Tor
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 15:44:28 +0100
Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist
Owner: Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>

* Package name    : flashproxy
  Version         : 1.2
  Upstream Author : David Fifield <david@bamsoftware.com>
* URL             : http://crypto.stanford.edu/flashproxy/
* License         : MIT
  Programming Lang: Python, JavaScript, Go, Shell
  Description     : ephemeral browser-based pluggable transport for Tor

Flash proxies are a new way of providing access to a censorship circumvention system such as Tor. A flash proxy is a miniature proxy that runs in a web browser. It checks for clients that need access, then conveys data between them and a Tor relay.

Tor has bridge relays, but in some cases even these can be blocked despite the fact that their addresses are handed out only a few at a time. The purpose of this project is to create many, generally ephemeral bridge IP addresses, with the goal of outpacing a censor's ability to block them. Rather than increasing the number of bridges at static addresses, we aim to make existing bridges reachable by a larger and changing pool of addresses.



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>:
Bug#721845; Package wnpp. (Wed, 04 Sep 2013 15:09:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to intrigeri <intrigeri@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>. (Wed, 04 Sep 2013 15:09:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 721845@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: intrigeri <intrigeri@debian.org>
To: Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>
Cc: 721845@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#721845: ITP: flashproxy -- ephemeral browser-based pluggable transport for Tor
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 17:05:57 +0200
Ximin Luo wrote (04 Sep 2013 14:44:28 GMT) :
> Package: wnpp
> Severity: wishlist
> Owner: Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>

> * Package name    : flashproxy
>   Version         : 1.2
>   Upstream Author : David Fifield <david@bamsoftware.com>

I'm glad flashproxy is making its way into Debian!
Thanks :)

Cheers!
-- 
  intrigeri
  | GnuPG key @ https://gaffer.ptitcanardnoir.org/intrigeri/intrigeri.asc
  | OTR fingerprint @ https://gaffer.ptitcanardnoir.org/intrigeri/otr.asc



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org:
Bug#721845; Package wnpp. (Tue, 03 Dec 2013 01:00:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org. (Tue, 03 Dec 2013 01:00:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 721845@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>
To: intrigeri <intrigeri@debian.org>, 721845@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#721845: ITP: flashproxy -- ephemeral browser-based pluggable transport for Tor
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 00:56:57 +0000
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On 04/09/13 16:05, intrigeri wrote:
> Ximin Luo wrote (04 Sep 2013 14:44:28 GMT) :
>> Package: wnpp
>> Severity: wishlist
>> Owner: Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>
> 
>> * Package name    : flashproxy
>>   Version         : 1.2
>>   Upstream Author : David Fifield <david@bamsoftware.com>
> 
> I'm glad flashproxy is making its way into Debian!
> Thanks :)
> 
> Cheers!
> 

I have some preliminary packages here:

http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/f/flashproxy/flashproxy_1.4+debitp-1.dsc

This is not yet suitable for distribution since it uses a bogus upstream version number. This is because I had to make some changes upstream to make it suitable for Debian packaging, and they are not yet released. Also, the repo mentioned in the Vcs-Git field, https://gitweb.torproject.org/debian/flashproxy.git, is currently empty. I will fix these issues before release, when I have managed to get a more sane upstream version.

In the mean time, I thought I'd ask for a packaging code review. You can view the Debian packaging commits here:

https://github.com/infinity0/flashproxy/compare/_volatile_debian-base..._volatile_debian

-- 
GPG: 4096R/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
git://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git

[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, attachment)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org:
Bug#721845; Package wnpp. (Thu, 12 Dec 2013 13:15:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org. (Thu, 12 Dec 2013 13:15:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 721845@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>
To: intrigeri <intrigeri@debian.org>
Cc: 721845@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#721845: ITP: flashproxy -- ephemeral browser-based pluggable transport for Tor
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 13:12:07 +0000
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On 03/12/13 00:56, Ximin Luo wrote:
> I have some preliminary packages here:
> 
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/f/flashproxy/flashproxy_1.4+debitp-1.dsc
> 
> This is not yet suitable for distribution since it uses a bogus upstream version number. This is because I had to make some changes upstream to make it suitable for Debian packaging, and they are not yet released. Also, the repo mentioned in the Vcs-Git field, https://gitweb.torproject.org/debian/flashproxy.git, is currently empty. I will fix these issues before release, when I have managed to get a more sane upstream version.
> 

This is now (pretty much) ready for upload:

http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/f/flashproxy/flashproxy_1.5-1.dsc

(I didn't bump the distribution to "unstable" yet because I assume you will
find some things I have to change.)

> In the mean time, I thought I'd ask for a packaging code review. You can view the Debian packaging commits here:
> 
> https://github.com/infinity0/flashproxy/compare/_volatile_debian-base..._volatile_debian
> 

The commits are now here:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/debian/flashproxy.git

-- 
GPG: 4096R/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
git://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git

[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, attachment)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>:
Bug#721845; Package wnpp. (Thu, 12 Dec 2013 13:30:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to intrigeri <intrigeri@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>. (Thu, 12 Dec 2013 13:30:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #25 received at 721845@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: intrigeri <intrigeri@debian.org>
To: Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>
Cc: 721845@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#721845: ITP: flashproxy -- ephemeral browser-based pluggable transport for Tor
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 14:26:50 +0100
Hi,

Ximin Luo wrote (12 Dec 2013 13:12:07 GMT) :
> The commits are now here:
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/debian/flashproxy.git

$ git clone https://gitweb.torproject.org/debian/flashproxy.git git                  
Cloning into 'git'...
fatal: https://gitweb.torproject.org/debian/flashproxy.git/info/refs not valid: is this a git repository?
zsh: exit 128   git clone https://gitweb.torproject.org/debian/flashproxy.git git

?

Cheers,
-- 
  intrigeri
  | GnuPG key @ https://gaffer.ptitcanardnoir.org/intrigeri/intrigeri.asc
  | OTR fingerprint @ https://gaffer.ptitcanardnoir.org/intrigeri/otr.asc



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org:
Bug#721845; Package wnpp. (Thu, 12 Dec 2013 13:54:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org. (Thu, 12 Dec 2013 13:54:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #30 received at 721845@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>
To: intrigeri <intrigeri@debian.org>
Cc: 721845@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#721845: ITP: flashproxy -- ephemeral browser-based pluggable transport for Tor
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 13:50:39 +0000
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On 12/12/13 13:26, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> Ximin Luo wrote (12 Dec 2013 13:12:07 GMT) :
>> The commits are now here:
>> https://gitweb.torproject.org/debian/flashproxy.git
> 
> $ git clone https://gitweb.torproject.org/debian/flashproxy.git git                  
> Cloning into 'git'...
> fatal: https://gitweb.torproject.org/debian/flashproxy.git/info/refs not valid: is this a git repository?
> zsh: exit 128   git clone https://gitweb.torproject.org/debian/flashproxy.git git
> 
> ?
> 
> Cheers,
> 

Try:

https://git.torproject.org/flashproxy.git

-- 
GPG: 4096R/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
git://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git

[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, attachment)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>:
Bug#721845; Package wnpp. (Thu, 12 Dec 2013 14:27:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to intrigeri <intrigeri@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>. (Thu, 12 Dec 2013 14:27:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #35 received at 721845@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: intrigeri <intrigeri@debian.org>
To: Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>
Cc: 721845@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#721845: ITP: flashproxy -- ephemeral browser-based pluggable transport for Tor
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 15:24:11 +0100
Ximin Luo wrote (12 Dec 2013 13:50:39 GMT) :
> https://git.torproject.org/flashproxy.git

Thanks, I can clone from there... but I can find no debian/ directory
in there. Where does the packaging bits live?

Cheers,
-- 
  intrigeri
  | GnuPG key @ https://gaffer.ptitcanardnoir.org/intrigeri/intrigeri.asc
  | OTR fingerprint @ https://gaffer.ptitcanardnoir.org/intrigeri/otr.asc



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org:
Bug#721845; Package wnpp. (Thu, 12 Dec 2013 14:27:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org. (Thu, 12 Dec 2013 14:27:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #40 received at 721845@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>
To: intrigeri <intrigeri@debian.org>
Cc: 721845@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#721845: ITP: flashproxy -- ephemeral browser-based pluggable transport for Tor
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 14:25:19 +0000
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On 12/12/13 14:24, intrigeri wrote:
> Ximin Luo wrote (12 Dec 2013 13:50:39 GMT) :
>> https://git.torproject.org/flashproxy.git
> 
> Thanks, I can clone from there... but I can find no debian/ directory
> in there. Where does the packaging bits live?
> 
> Cheers,
> 

Sorry, I meant this one:

https://git.torproject.org/debian/flashproxy.git

-- 
GPG: 4096R/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
git://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git

[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, attachment)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>:
Bug#721845; Package wnpp. (Thu, 12 Dec 2013 14:36:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to intrigeri <intrigeri@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>. (Thu, 12 Dec 2013 14:36:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #45 received at 721845@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: intrigeri <intrigeri@debian.org>
To: Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>
Cc: 721845@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#721845: ITP: flashproxy -- ephemeral browser-based pluggable transport for Tor
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 15:32:51 +0100
Ximin Luo wrote (12 Dec 2013 14:25:19 GMT) :
> Sorry, I meant this one:
> https://git.torproject.org/debian/flashproxy.git

OK, now I only need to fine time to review this :)

Cheers,
-- 
  intrigeri
  | GnuPG key @ https://gaffer.ptitcanardnoir.org/intrigeri/intrigeri.asc
  | OTR fingerprint @ https://gaffer.ptitcanardnoir.org/intrigeri/otr.asc



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>:
Bug#721845; Package wnpp. (Wed, 18 Dec 2013 21:45:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to intrigeri <intrigeri@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>. (Wed, 18 Dec 2013 21:45:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #50 received at 721845@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: intrigeri <intrigeri@debian.org>
To: Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>
Cc: 721845@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#721845: ITP: flashproxy -- ephemeral browser-based pluggable transport for Tor
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 22:42:49 +0100
Hi,

here's a quick initial review of the 1.5-1 packaging. Note that I've
not looked at the upstream code, assuming some people better skilled
than me in this area, in the Tor Project, have done this already.
If this is not the case, please tell me.

First of all, if this is your first serious packaging task, this is
a high-quality result, and I'm impressed.

1. debian/copyright gives copyright 2011-2013 to David Fifield, while
   the upstream source only mentions 2012. The correct place to fix
   upstream copyright information, if that was the intent, is upstream
   sources: we're merely relaying it in debian/copyright.

2. Please upgrade to the latest available standards-version.

3. Please make the package Lintian -clean, if possible in pedantic
   mode, e.g. like this:

     lintian --info --display-info --pedantic --color auto *.changes

   Lintian has good advices for you, e.g. using DEP-3 for the
   Debian-specific patch to indicate it should not be forwarded
   upstream :)

4. Is the flashproxy-facilitator's dependency on python really needed?
   I have nearly no experience in Python software packaging, but isn't
   the role of ${python:Depends} to do just that?

5. We don't ship software in Debian that has dependencies outside
   Debian to be useful at all. So, in the current state of things, the
   node-flashproxy binary package (and its README.Debian) is a no-no.
   Time to ping Mike Gabriel on #721558 (and offer your help if you
   wish), perhaps.

6. A the facilitator's postinst depends on /usr/share/doc to be
   available. This is a violation of Policy 12.3: "Packages must not
   require the existence of any files in /usr/share/doc/ in order to
   function." These files must be moved to /usr/share/$PACKAGE and may
   be symlinked from /usr/share/doc/$PACKAGE.

7. In the facilator's postinst, instead of install + cat, you could
   just use install to copy reg-email.pass where it belongs.

8. Why install symlinks in the facilitator's postinst, instead of ship
   them in the package (e.g. with dh_link(1))? This would avoid the
   need to remove them in postrm (and having to handle the case when
   the administrator changed these files).

9. This comment leaves me thinking:

    # NOTE: debian/rules build (which runs tests) must be run outside of fakeroot
    # since the tests open sockets, which fakeroot stubs out.

   It could be worth supporting fakeroot environments, no?
   Can't you detect fakeroot and (loudly) skip tests if applicable?

10. What does this mean, exactly?

     # TODO(infinity0): handle setup.py better

    Any potential issue you foresee?

11. I find it a bit scary not to install the upstream LICENSE file,
    and to rely on Debian's copyright instead. As soon at the Debian
    packaging misses an upstream update (and they are *already* in
    mismatch, actually), then we're violating the upstream license.
    I recommend installing the upstream LICENSE file.

12. I have not tested the resulting binary packages with piuparts.
    I suggest you do it if you can afford it: discovering issues
    before the QA team knocks at the door is nicer both for them, and
    for you :)

Great work!

Cheers,
-- 
  intrigeri
  | GnuPG key @ https://gaffer.ptitcanardnoir.org/intrigeri/intrigeri.asc
  | OTR fingerprint @ https://gaffer.ptitcanardnoir.org/intrigeri/otr.asc



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org:
Bug#721845; Package wnpp. (Tue, 07 Jan 2014 17:12:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org. (Tue, 07 Jan 2014 17:12:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #55 received at 721845@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>
To: intrigeri <intrigeri@debian.org>
Cc: 721845@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#721845: ITP: flashproxy -- ephemeral browser-based pluggable transport for Tor
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 17:08:33 +0000
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Thanks for the review!

On 18/12/13 21:42, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> here's a quick initial review of the 1.5-1 packaging. Note that I've
> not looked at the upstream code, assuming some people better skilled
> than me in this area, in the Tor Project, have done this already.
> If this is not the case, please tell me.
> 
> First of all, if this is your first serious packaging task, this is
> a high-quality result, and I'm impressed.
> 
> 1. debian/copyright gives copyright 2011-2013 to David Fifield, while
>    the upstream source only mentions 2012. The correct place to fix
>    upstream copyright information, if that was the intent, is upstream
>    sources: we're merely relaying it in debian/copyright.
> 
> 2. Please upgrade to the latest available standards-version.
> 
> 4. Is the flashproxy-facilitator's dependency on python really needed?
>    I have nearly no experience in Python software packaging, but isn't
>    the role of ${python:Depends} to do just that?
> 
> 6. A the facilitator's postinst depends on /usr/share/doc to be
>    available. This is a violation of Policy 12.3: "Packages must not
>    require the existence of any files in /usr/share/doc/ in order to
>    function." These files must be moved to /usr/share/$PACKAGE and may
>    be symlinked from /usr/share/doc/$PACKAGE.
> 
> 7. In the facilator's postinst, instead of install + cat, you could
>    just use install to copy reg-email.pass where it belongs.
> 
> 8. Why install symlinks in the facilitator's postinst, instead of ship
>    them in the package (e.g. with dh_link(1))? This would avoid the
>    need to remove them in postrm (and having to handle the case when
>    the administrator changed these files).
> 

Fixed and pushed to git.

> 9. This comment leaves me thinking:
> 
>     # NOTE: debian/rules build (which runs tests) must be run outside of fakeroot
>     # since the tests open sockets, which fakeroot stubs out.
> 
>    It could be worth supporting fakeroot environments, no?
>    Can't you detect fakeroot and (loudly) skip tests if applicable?
> 
> 10. What does this mean, exactly?
> 
>      # TODO(infinity0): handle setup.py better
> 
>     Any potential issue you foresee?
> 

I've elaborated the comments, neither are a problem. For (9), you are supposed to run `debian/rules build` separately outside of fakeroot anyways, and dpkg-buildpackage does this automatically. (As opposed to relying on `make` to automatically run (build) when you call `fakeroot debian/rules binary`, which would run it inside the fakeroot.)

> 3. Please make the package Lintian -clean, if possible in pedantic
>    mode, e.g. like this:
> 
>      lintian --info --display-info --pedantic --color auto *.changes
> 
>    Lintian has good advices for you, e.g. using DEP-3 for the
>    Debian-specific patch to indicate it should not be forwarded
>    upstream :)
> 

Fixed - The only two left IMO are false positives:

- debian-watch-file-is-missing: currently N/A, upstream does not release the tarballs separately outside of git tags. I work closely enough with upstream that it's not so important anyways.
- using-first-person-in-description: does not exactly apply, "we" used here is descriptive and neutral rather than instructive.

> 11. I find it a bit scary not to install the upstream LICENSE file,
>     and to rely on Debian's copyright instead. As soon at the Debian
>     packaging misses an upstream update (and they are *already* in
>     mismatch, actually), then we're violating the upstream license.
>     I recommend installing the upstream LICENSE file.
> 

Unfortunately that results in a lintian warning: http://lintian.debian.org/tags/extra-license-file.html

I've fixed LICENSE in a patch anyways, which has also been applied upstream.

> 5. We don't ship software in Debian that has dependencies outside
>    Debian to be useful at all. So, in the current state of things, the
>    node-flashproxy binary package (and its README.Debian) is a no-no.
>    Time to ping Mike Gabriel on #721558 (and offer your help if you
>    wish), perhaps.
> 
> 12. I have not tested the resulting binary packages with piuparts.
>     I suggest you do it if you can afford it: discovering issues
>     before the QA team knocks at the door is nicer both for them, and
>     for you :)
> 

I'll deal with these last two points and follow-up to this email.

Thanks again!

X

-- 
GPG: 4096R/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
git://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git

[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, attachment)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>:
Bug#721845; Package wnpp. (Tue, 07 Jan 2014 17:42:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to intrigeri <intrigeri@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>. (Tue, 07 Jan 2014 17:42:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #60 received at 721845@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: intrigeri <intrigeri@debian.org>
To: Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>
Cc: 721845@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#721845: ITP: flashproxy -- ephemeral browser-based pluggable transport for Tor
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 18:39:06 +0100
Hi,

Ximin Luo wrote (07 Jan 2014 17:08:33 GMT) :
> Thanks for the review!

Thank you for packaging flashproxy!

Great that you added DEP-3 headers. I'm not sure if the "This patch
header follows DEP-3" notice is useful, though.

> On 18/12/13 21:42, intrigeri wrote:
>> 3. Please make the package Lintian -clean, if possible in pedantic
>>    mode, e.g. like this:
>> 
>>      lintian --info --display-info --pedantic --color auto *.changes
>> 
>>    Lintian has good advices for you, e.g. using DEP-3 for the
>>    Debian-specific patch to indicate it should not be forwarded
>>    upstream :)
>> 

> Fixed -

Great!

> The only two left IMO are false positives:

> - debian-watch-file-is-missing: currently N/A, upstream does not release the tarballs
> separately outside of git tags. I work closely enough with upstream that it's not so
> important anyways.

> - using-first-person-in-description: does not exactly apply, "we" used here is descriptive and neutral rather than instructive.

Fair enough. Please add overrides that explain this as
a comment, then.

>> 11. I find it a bit scary not to install the upstream LICENSE file,
>>     and to rely on Debian's copyright instead. As soon at the Debian
>>     packaging misses an upstream update (and they are *already* in
>>     mismatch, actually), then we're violating the upstream license.
>>     I recommend installing the upstream LICENSE file.
>> 

> Unfortunately that results in a lintian warning: http://lintian.debian.org/tags/extra-license-file.html

> I've fixed LICENSE in a patch anyways, which has also been
> applied upstream.

OK. I've just learnt something, actually. Thanks :)

>> 5. We don't ship software in Debian that has dependencies outside
>>    Debian to be useful at all. So, in the current state of things, the
>>    node-flashproxy binary package (and its README.Debian) is a no-no.
>>    Time to ping Mike Gabriel on #721558 (and offer your help if you
>>    wish), perhaps.
>> 
>> 12. I have not tested the resulting binary packages with piuparts.
>>     I suggest you do it if you can afford it: discovering issues
>>     before the QA team knocks at the door is nicer both for them, and
>>     for you :)
>> 

> I'll deal with these last two points and follow-up to this email.

Cool.

Cheers,
-- 
  intrigeri
  | GnuPG key @ https://gaffer.ptitcanardnoir.org/intrigeri/intrigeri.asc
  | OTR fingerprint @ https://gaffer.ptitcanardnoir.org/intrigeri/otr.asc



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>:
Bug#721845; Package wnpp. (Sat, 18 Jan 2014 01:33:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to "Ximin Luo" <infinity0@gmx.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>. (Sat, 18 Jan 2014 01:33:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #65 received at 721845@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: "Ximin Luo" <infinity0@gmx.com>
To: "intrigeri" <intrigeri@debian.org>
Cc: 721845@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#721845: ITP: flashproxy -- ephemeral browser-based pluggable transport for Tor
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 02:31:39 +0100
On 01/07/14 17:39, intrigeri wrote:
> Great that you added DEP-3 headers. I'm not sure if the "This patch
> header follows DEP-3" notice is useful, though.

This is automatically added by `dquilt header --dep3` so I stuck with it.

>> The only two left IMO are false positives:
> 
>> - debian-watch-file-is-missing: currently N/A, upstream does not release the tarballs
>> separately outside of git tags. I work closely enough with upstream that it's not so
>> important anyways.
> 
>> - using-first-person-in-description: does not exactly apply, "we" used here is descriptive and neutral rather than instructive.
> 
> Fair enough. Please add overrides that explain this as
> a comment, then.
> 

I eventually decided to just add the watch file, but overriding the first-person would require 5 override files.

>>> 5. We don't ship software in Debian that has dependencies outside
>>> Debian to be useful at all. So, in the current state of things, the
>>> node-flashproxy binary package (and its README.Debian) is a no-no.
>>> Time to ping Mike Gabriel on #721558 (and offer your help if you
>>> wish), perhaps.
>>> 

This is now in NEW: https://ftp-master.debian.org/new/node-ws_0.4.30-1.html

>>> 12. I have not tested the resulting binary packages with piuparts.
>>> I suggest you do it if you can afford it: discovering issues
>>> before the QA team knocks at the door is nicer both for them, and
>>> for you :)
>>> 

I've now verified everything with both piuparts and pbuilder and everything is OK. Though piuparts should actually be failing since node-ws is not installable yet, they have a bug for that already: #718544.

Package built here:




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>:
Bug#721845; Package wnpp. (Sat, 18 Jan 2014 01:36:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to "Ximin Luo" <infinity0@gmx.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>. (Sat, 18 Jan 2014 01:36:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #70 received at 721845@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: "Ximin Luo" <infinity0@gmx.com>
To: "intrigeri" <intrigeri@debian.org>
Cc: 721845@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#721845: ITP: flashproxy -- ephemeral browser-based pluggable transport for Tor
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 02:33:15 +0100
> Package built here.

Webmail client screwed up, the link is:


 

 



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>:
Bug#721845; Package wnpp. (Sat, 18 Jan 2014 01:39:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to "Ximin Luo" <infinity0@gmx.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>. (Sat, 18 Jan 2014 01:39:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #75 received at 721845@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: "Ximin Luo" <infinity0@gmx.com>
To: "intrigeri" <intrigeri@debian.org>
Cc: 721845@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#721845: ITP: flashproxy -- ephemeral browser-based pluggable transport for Tor
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 02:34:25 +0100
> Package built here:

sigh, I am going to switch my email provider very soon... here are the packages:

https://mentors.debian.net/package/flashproxy



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>:
Bug#721845; Package wnpp. (Thu, 30 Jan 2014 13:45:12 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to intrigeri <intrigeri@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>. (Thu, 30 Jan 2014 13:45:12 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #80 received at 721845@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: intrigeri <intrigeri@debian.org>
To: "Ximin Luo" <infinity0@gmx.com>
Cc: 721845@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#721845: ITP: flashproxy -- ephemeral browser-based pluggable transport for Tor
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 14:11:47 +0100
Hi,

Ximin Luo wrote (18 Jan 2014 01:31:39 GMT) :
> [...] but overriding the first-person would require
> 5 override files.

I think it's worth adding it. Adding the overrides allows you to start
from a Lintian-clean state, and in the future, to easily notice "oh,
the package is not Lintian-clean anymore, what happened?", instead of
getting used to ignoring Lintian warnings since, oh well, we already
know there're here. Your call anyway.

> This is now in NEW: https://ftp-master.debian.org/new/node-ws_0.4.30-1.html

Cool. Hopefully it will come out of NEW soon :)

> I've now verified everything with both piuparts and pbuilder and
> everything is OK.

\o/

Cheers,
-- 
  intrigeri
  | GnuPG key @ https://gaffer.ptitcanardnoir.org/intrigeri/intrigeri.asc
  | OTR fingerprint @ https://gaffer.ptitcanardnoir.org/intrigeri/otr.asc



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>:
Bug#721845; Package wnpp. (Thu, 30 Jan 2014 13:54:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to intrigeri <intrigeri@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>. (Thu, 30 Jan 2014 13:54:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #85 received at 721845@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: intrigeri <intrigeri@debian.org>
To: "Ximin Luo" <infinity0@gmx.com>
Cc: 721845@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#721845: ITP: flashproxy -- ephemeral browser-based pluggable transport for Tor
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 14:51:19 +0100
Hi,

Ximin Luo wrote (18 Jan 2014 01:34:25 GMT) :
> https://mentors.debian.net/package/flashproxy

Assuming all my previous concerns were deal with (which I believe is
the case, unless something was dropped when replying), the package now
seems to be in pretty good shape.

If you need any further review or anything, feel free to ask :)

Cheers,
-- 
  intrigeri
  | GnuPG key @ https://gaffer.ptitcanardnoir.org/intrigeri/intrigeri.asc
  | OTR fingerprint @ https://gaffer.ptitcanardnoir.org/intrigeri/otr.asc



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>:
Bug#721845; Package wnpp. (Tue, 04 Feb 2014 15:24:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ximin Luo <infinity0@pwned.gg>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com>. (Tue, 04 Feb 2014 15:24:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #90 received at 721845@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ximin Luo <infinity0@pwned.gg>
To: 721845@bugs.debian.org
Subject: re-own and future steps
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 15:14:31 +0000
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Control: owner -1 !
thanks

Thanks for the review! As discussed elsewhere, I will write up a guide-to-testing all the packages and look for another sponsor.

X

-- 
GPG: 4096R/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
git://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git

[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, attachment)]

Owner changed from Ximin Luo <infinity0@gmx.com> to Ximin Luo <infinity0@pwned.gg>. Request was from Ximin Luo <infinity0@pwned.gg> to 721845-submit@bugs.debian.org. (Tue, 04 Feb 2014 15:24:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Added blocking bug(s) of 721845: 737944 Request was from Bart Martens <bartm@quantz.debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Fri, 07 Feb 2014 04:33:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Sat Apr 19 00:27:43 2014; Machine Name: beach.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.