Debian Bug report logs - #711484
Composer support

version graph

Package: pkg-php-tools; Maintainer for pkg-php-tools is Debian PHP PEAR Maintainers <pkg-php-pear@lists.alioth.debian.org>; Source for pkg-php-tools is src:pkg-php-tools.

Reported by: Mathieu Parent <math.parent@gmail.com>

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 08:12:02 UTC

Severity: normal

Found in version pkg-php-tools/1.6

Fixed in version pkg-php-tools/1.7

Done: Mathieu Parent <sathieu@debian.org>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian PHP PEAR Maintainers <pkg-php-pear@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#711484; Package pkg-php-tools. (Fri, 07 Jun 2013 08:12:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Mathieu Parent <math.parent@gmail.com>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to Debian PHP PEAR Maintainers <pkg-php-pear@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Fri, 07 Jun 2013 08:12:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Mathieu Parent <math.parent@gmail.com>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: Composer support
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 10:08:51 +0200
Package: pkg-php-tools
Version: 1.6

As discussed on the ML [1], Composer "Dependency Manager for PHP " [2]
seems to get some audience, pkg-php-tools can be improved to support
its format.

Two different solutions:
- use Composer API [3] (this requires packaging it)
- parse the composer.json file directly

Then:
- add a dh_phpcomposer translating included infos to substvars
(name, description, converting composer dependencies to Debian ones, ...)
- add a debhelper buildsystem "phpcomposer.pm"

[1]: http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-php-pear/2013-June/001167.html
[2]: http://getcomposer.org/
[3]: http://getcomposer.org/apidoc/master/index.html

Regards
--
Mathieu Parent



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian PHP PEAR Maintainers <pkg-php-pear@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#711484; Package pkg-php-tools. (Sat, 08 Jun 2013 12:15:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to a@xelera.eu:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian PHP PEAR Maintainers <pkg-php-pear@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Sat, 08 Jun 2013 12:15:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 711484@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: andrea rota <a@xelera.eu>
To: 711484@bugs.debian.org
Cc: Mathieu Parent <math.parent@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Composer support
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 13:07:59 +0100
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
hi Mathieu,

On Fri, Jun 07, 2013 at 10:08:51AM +0200, Mathieu Parent wrote:
> Package: pkg-php-tools
> Version: 1.6
> 
> As discussed on the ML [1], Composer "Dependency Manager for PHP " [2]
> seems to get some audience, pkg-php-tools can be improved to support
> its format.
> 
> Two different solutions:
> - use Composer API [3] (this requires packaging it)
> - parse the composer.json file directly

i can try packaging it, although i haven't done much PHP packaging work
at all before except for initial work on wp-cli.

as far as i can see, composer itself is a self-contained
phar file, which can be downloaded directly
(http://getcomposer.org/composer.phar for the latest snapshot, or a
specific version listed on http://getcomposer.org/download/) or via a
PHP script which checks local PHP setup and a few other settings before
retrieving the phar via curl and saving it locally.

in terms of Debian packaging (at least as a starting point), would it be
ok to simply package the upstream phar file or would it be necessary for
debian/rules to actually include the full source tree
(git://github.com/composer/composer.git), run phpunit tests, build the
phar file from scratch, etc?

any pointers to best practices or examples would be very helpful.
(i am looking at pkg-php packages in anonscm.debian.org but i'm not sure
which packages there would be closest in terms of layout to a possible
composer Debian package... perhaps pkg-php/debpear.git?)

[...]

thanks
andrea

-- 
andrea rota

Xelera - IT infrastructures
http://xelera.eu/contact-us/
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian PHP PEAR Maintainers <pkg-php-pear@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#711484; Package pkg-php-tools. (Mon, 10 Jun 2013 13:36:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Mathieu Parent <math.parent@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian PHP PEAR Maintainers <pkg-php-pear@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Mon, 10 Jun 2013 13:36:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 711484@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Mathieu Parent <math.parent@gmail.com>
To: Andrea Rota <a@xelera.eu>
Cc: 711484@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Composer support
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 15:34:22 +0200
2013/6/8 andrea rota <a@xelera.eu>:
> hi Mathieu,

Hello,

> On Fri, Jun 07, 2013 at 10:08:51AM +0200, Mathieu Parent wrote:
>> Package: pkg-php-tools
>> Version: 1.6
>>
>> As discussed on the ML [1], Composer "Dependency Manager for PHP " [2]
>> seems to get some audience, pkg-php-tools can be improved to support
>> its format.
>>
>> Two different solutions:
>> - use Composer API [3] (this requires packaging it)
>> - parse the composer.json file directly
>
> i can try packaging it, although i haven't done much PHP packaging work
> at all before except for initial work on wp-cli.

We can review it on this ML.

> as far as i can see, composer itself is a self-contained
> phar file, which can be downloaded directly
> (http://getcomposer.org/composer.phar for the latest snapshot, or a
> specific version listed on http://getcomposer.org/download/) or via a
> PHP script which checks local PHP setup and a few other settings before
> retrieving the phar via curl and saving it locally.
>
> in terms of Debian packaging (at least as a starting point), would it be
> ok to simply package the upstream phar file or would it be necessary for
> debian/rules to actually include the full source tree
> (git://github.com/composer/composer.git), run phpunit tests, build the
> phar file from scratch, etc?

I think the phar format is not "the preferred form for modification"
(it is not unarchivable with common tools). One more example of PHP
guys reinventing the wheel (at least Java's jar files are zip file
with a manifest). We can create the orig source from a git tag
(example: [1]).

Building the phar is not necessary (but it is possible).

Reading [2], I hope there won't be bootstrap problem.

[1]: http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-samba/ctdb.git;a=blob;f=debian/uupdate-wrapper;h=51262b61d223b9b15b89a1ad14206338ad2a6d38;hb=HEAD

[2]: https://github.com/composer/composer#installation-from-source

>
> any pointers to best practices or examples would be very helpful.
> (i am looking at pkg-php packages in anonscm.debian.org but i'm not sure
> which packages there would be closest in terms of layout to a possible
> composer Debian package... perhaps pkg-php/debpear.git?)

Composer is not a PEAR package, so you have to take inspiration from
php-sabredav (I have not looked deeply).

> [...]
>
> thanks
> andrea
>
> --
> andrea rota
>
> Xelera - IT infrastructures
> http://xelera.eu/contact-us/



--
Mathieu



Added tag(s) pending. Request was from Mathieu Parent <math.parent@gmail.com> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sat, 15 Jun 2013 20:51:17 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Reply sent to Mathieu Parent <sathieu@debian.org>:
You have taken responsibility. (Mon, 17 Jun 2013 21:24:17 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to Mathieu Parent <math.parent@gmail.com>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. (Mon, 17 Jun 2013 21:24:18 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #22 received at 711484-close@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Mathieu Parent <sathieu@debian.org>
To: 711484-close@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Bug#711484: fixed in pkg-php-tools 1.7
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 21:21:47 +0000
Source: pkg-php-tools
Source-Version: 1.7

We believe that the bug you reported is fixed in the latest version of
pkg-php-tools, which is due to be installed in the Debian FTP archive.

A summary of the changes between this version and the previous one is
attached.

Thank you for reporting the bug, which will now be closed.  If you
have further comments please address them to 711484@bugs.debian.org,
and the maintainer will reopen the bug report if appropriate.

Debian distribution maintenance software
pp.
Mathieu Parent <sathieu@debian.org> (supplier of updated pkg-php-tools package)

(This message was generated automatically at their request; if you
believe that there is a problem with it please contact the archive
administrators by mailing ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org)


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Format: 1.8
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 21:39:16 +0200
Source: pkg-php-tools
Binary: pkg-php-tools
Architecture: source all
Version: 1.7
Distribution: unstable
Urgency: low
Maintainer: Debian PHP PEAR Maintainers <pkg-php-pear@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Changed-By: Mathieu Parent <sathieu@debian.org>
Description: 
 pkg-php-tools - various packaging tools and scripts for PHP packages
Closes: 711484
Changes: 
 pkg-php-tools (1.7) unstable; urgency=low
 .
   * Set env NO_INTERATION=1 before 'make test'
   * Remove /usr/share/php/.registry/.channel.pecl.php.net only if empty
     (needed for PECL packages coming from pecl.php.net)
   * Composer support (Closes: #711484)
     - Enhance phppkginfo with composer_* commands (simple commands)
     - Enhance phppkginfo with composer_substvars command translating package
       links to Debian dependencies
     - dh_phpcomposer: Fill substvars (name, description, and dependencies)
     - test for dh_phpcomposer
     - Build-depend on php5-json | php5-cli (<< 5.5.0~rc1+dfsg-1) as json has
       been moved to an external extension
   * phppkginfo: remove mhash and json from builtin extensions (json is
     removed since php5 5.5.0~rc1+dfsg-1, mhash is "provided")
Checksums-Sha1: 
 35066a736f58e0df48623bfeccd908f661a927fb 1104 pkg-php-tools_1.7.dsc
 422ba191082b74589517b098c2d261d525fcc929 21757 pkg-php-tools_1.7.tar.gz
 d4716f08a8a239b5068e4ec447f79a86f41314b4 23744 pkg-php-tools_1.7_all.deb
Checksums-Sha256: 
 01328ed4728a89f5cc3e77d9fde7bfb15c17ec0f656bd74c551a549e5dda8956 1104 pkg-php-tools_1.7.dsc
 9d4c848af8878b4fb322a1d6eec904baa67f6440821afd202393f9932a6ff073 21757 pkg-php-tools_1.7.tar.gz
 3b4fef966f145ca8df975a51978f4feaa3882cd1f31483c2ef278593ae6ad3aa 23744 pkg-php-tools_1.7_all.deb
Files: 
 3eb1f23851bb1b23476eb580ff2c2062 1104 php extra pkg-php-tools_1.7.dsc
 2d47302e6e1b7f62900ff8154fe0e99a 21757 php extra pkg-php-tools_1.7.tar.gz
 02450cf7f15ec882ccdde3b7b1fb3006 23744 php extra pkg-php-tools_1.7_all.deb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.12 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAlG/aMwACgkQOW2jYf5fHX/JlwCggODrfklaqplp6Neex4+1VVa9
O2sAmgJHVjHQWewBnNTXA0l30eyV4OVG
=3p+5
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----




Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Tue, 16 Jul 2013 07:33:51 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Fri Apr 18 05:51:14 2014; Machine Name: buxtehude.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.