Debian Bug report logs - #708132
ITP: bcache-tools -- These are the userspace tools required for bcache.

Package: wnpp; Maintainer for wnpp is wnpp@debian.org;

Reported by: tstrickx@rootcu.be

Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 12:33:02 UTC

Owned by: tstrickx@rootcu.be

Severity: wishlist

Reply or subscribe to this bug.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, debian-devel@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org:
Bug#708132; Package wnpp. (Mon, 13 May 2013 12:33:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to tstrickx@rootcu.be:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to debian-devel@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org. (Mon, 13 May 2013 12:33:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: tstrickx@rootcu.be
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: ITP: bcache-tools -- These are the userspace tools required for bcache.
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 14:43:34 +0200
Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist
Owner: tstrickx@rootcu.be


* Package name    : bcache-tools
  Version         : 1.0
  Upstream Author : Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet@gmail.com>
* URL             : http://bcache.evilpiepirate.org/
* License         : GPL
  Programming Lang: C
  Description     : These are the userspace tools required for bcache.

Bcache is a patch for the Linux kernel to use SSDs to cache other block
devices. For more information, see http://bcache.evilpiepirate.org.
Documentation for the run time interface is included in the kernel tree, in
Documentantion/bcache.txt.

Included tools:

make-bcache
Formats a block device for use with bcache. A device can be formatted for use
as a cache or as a backing device (requires yet to be implemented kernel
support). The most important option is for specifying the bucket size.
Allocation is done in terms of buckets, and cache hits are counted per bucket;
thus a smaller bucket size will give better cache utilization, but poorer write
performance. The bucket size is intended to be equal to the size of your SSD's
erase blocks, which seems to be 128k-512k for most SSDs; feel free to
experiment.

probe-bcache
Only necessary until support for the bcache superblock is included
in blkid; in the meantime, provides just enough functionality for a udev script
to create the /dev/disk/by-uuid symlink. The arguments it does support are the
same as for blkid.

bcache-super-show
Prints the bcache superblock of a cache device or a backing device.



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, tstrickx@rootcu.be:
Bug#708132; Package wnpp. (Mon, 13 May 2013 14:03:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, tstrickx@rootcu.be. (Mon, 13 May 2013 14:03:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 708132@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
To: tstrickx@rootcu.be, 708132@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#708132: ITP: bcache-tools -- These are the userspace tools required for bcache.
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 14:59:22 +0100
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Mon, 2013-05-13 at 14:43 +0200, tstrickx@rootcu.be wrote:
> Package: wnpp
> Severity: wishlist
> Owner: tstrickx@rootcu.be
> 
> 
> * Package name    : bcache-tools
>   Version         : 1.0
>   Upstream Author : Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet@gmail.com>
> * URL             : http://bcache.evilpiepirate.org/
> * License         : GPL
>   Programming Lang: C
>   Description     : These are the userspace tools required for bcache.
> 
> Bcache is a patch for the Linux kernel to use SSDs to cache other block
> devices. For more information, see http://bcache.evilpiepirate.org.
> Documentation for the run time interface is included in the kernel tree, in
> Documentantion/bcache.txt.
[...]

The description should not refer to 'a patch for the Linux kernel',
because bcache support is now included in Linux 3.10-rc1.

Ben.

-- 
Ben Hutchings
Make three consecutive correct guesses and you will be considered an expert.
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, tstrickx@rootcu.be:
Bug#708132; Package wnpp. (Tue, 14 May 2013 13:00:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Tom Strickx <tom.strickx@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, tstrickx@rootcu.be. (Tue, 14 May 2013 13:00:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 708132@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Tom Strickx <tom.strickx@gmail.com>
To: 708132@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#708132: ITP: bcache-tools -- These are the userspace tools required for bcache.
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 14:57:15 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
The first initial upload has been made:
http://mentors.debian.net/package/bcache-tools

On 13 May 2013, at 17:38, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:

> On Mon, 13 May 2013 22:43:34 tstrickx@rootcu.be wrote:
>> * Package name    : bcache-tools
>>  Version         : 1.0
>>  Upstream Author : Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet@gmail.com>
>> * URL             : http://bcache.evilpiepirate.org/
>> * License         : GPL
>>  Programming Lang: C
>>  Description     : These are the userspace tools required for bcache.
> 
> In 2011-2012 I was playing with bcache and did some immature packaging
> of bcache-tools. For what's it worth please find my old packaging
> attached -- it could be a starting point if you don't have a draft
> packaging yet. Please feel free to do whatever you like with it.
> 
> All the best,
> Dmitry Smirnov
> GPG key : 4096R/53968D1B
> <bcache-tools.tar.xz>

[Message part 2 (text/html, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, tstrickx@rootcu.be:
Bug#708132; Package wnpp. (Wed, 19 Jun 2013 03:39:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Liang Guo <bluestonechina@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, tstrickx@rootcu.be. (Wed, 19 Jun 2013 03:39:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 708132@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Liang Guo <bluestonechina@gmail.com>
To: 708132@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#708132: ITP: bcache-tools -- These are the userspace tools required for bcache.
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:35:55 +0800
On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 8:43 PM,  <tstrickx@rootcu.be> wrote:
> Package: wnpp
> Severity: wishlist
> Owner: tstrickx@rootcu.be
>
>
> * Package name    : bcache-tools
>   Version         : 1.0
>   Upstream Author : Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet@gmail.com>
> * URL             : http://bcache.evilpiepirate.org/
> * License         : GPL
>   Programming Lang: C
>   Description     : These are the userspace tools required for bcache.
>
> Bcache is a patch for the Linux kernel to use SSDs to cache other block
> devices. For more information, see http://bcache.evilpiepirate.org.
> Documentation for the run time interface is included in the kernel tree, in
> Documentantion/bcache.txt.
>
> Included tools:
>
> make-bcache
> Formats a block device for use with bcache. A device can be formatted for use
> as a cache or as a backing device (requires yet to be implemented kernel
> support). The most important option is for specifying the bucket size.
> Allocation is done in terms of buckets, and cache hits are counted per bucket;
> thus a smaller bucket size will give better cache utilization, but poorer write
> performance. The bucket size is intended to be equal to the size of your SSD's
> erase blocks, which seems to be 128k-512k for most SSDs; feel free to
> experiment.
>
> probe-bcache
> Only necessary until support for the bcache superblock is included
> in blkid; in the meantime, provides just enough functionality for a udev script
> to create the /dev/disk/by-uuid symlink. The arguments it does support are the
> same as for blkid.
>
> bcache-super-show
> Prints the bcache superblock of a cache device or a backing device.
>
Hi,

Any progress on this ITP? bcache is enabled in linux-image-3.10-rc5-amd64.

Thanks,
--
Liang Guo
http://bluestone.cublog.cn



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, tstrickx@rootcu.be:
Bug#708132; Package wnpp. (Wed, 19 Jun 2013 06:00:28 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Liang Guo <bluestonechina@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, tstrickx@rootcu.be. (Wed, 19 Jun 2013 06:00:28 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #25 received at 708132@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Liang Guo <bluestonechina@gmail.com>
To: 708132@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#708132: ITP: bcache-tools -- These are the userspace tools required for bcache.
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 13:57:53 +0800
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Liang Guo <bluestonechina@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 8:43 PM,  <tstrickx@rootcu.be> wrote:
>> Package: wnpp
>> Severity: wishlist
>> Owner: tstrickx@rootcu.be
>>
>>
>> * Package name    : bcache-tools
>>   Version         : 1.0
>>   Upstream Author : Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet@gmail.com>
>> * URL             : http://bcache.evilpiepirate.org/
>> * License         : GPL
>>   Programming Lang: C
>>   Description     : These are the userspace tools required for bcache.
>>
>> Bcache is a patch for the Linux kernel to use SSDs to cache other block
>> devices. For more information, see http://bcache.evilpiepirate.org.
>> Documentation for the run time interface is included in the kernel tree, in
>> Documentantion/bcache.txt.
>>
>> Included tools:
>>
>> make-bcache
>> Formats a block device for use with bcache. A device can be formatted for use
>> as a cache or as a backing device (requires yet to be implemented kernel
>> support). The most important option is for specifying the bucket size.
>> Allocation is done in terms of buckets, and cache hits are counted per bucket;
>> thus a smaller bucket size will give better cache utilization, but poorer write
>> performance. The bucket size is intended to be equal to the size of your SSD's
>> erase blocks, which seems to be 128k-512k for most SSDs; feel free to
>> experiment.
>>
>> probe-bcache
>> Only necessary until support for the bcache superblock is included
>> in blkid; in the meantime, provides just enough functionality for a udev script
>> to create the /dev/disk/by-uuid symlink. The arguments it does support are the
>> same as for blkid.
>>
>> bcache-super-show
>> Prints the bcache superblock of a cache device or a backing device.
>>
> Hi,
>
> Any progress on this ITP? bcache is enabled in linux-image-3.10-rc5-amd64.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Liang Guo
> http://bluestone.cublog.cn
Hi,

I find you uploaded bcache-tools to mentors.d.n, it works, this is an
simple review:

1 linux-image-3.10-rc5-* is still in experimental, so I advice upload
to experimental

2 Standards-Version should be 3.9.4

3 bcache is only available in linux world, so please set Architecture
to linux-any

4 Description is a little long, please try to make it shorter.

5 Please rewrite debian/copyright to compliance DEP-5[1]

6 upstream file don't have copyright header, you'd better ask upstream to add a
copyright header.

[1] http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/




--
Liang Guo
http://bluestone.cublog.cn



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, tstrickx@rootcu.be:
Bug#708132; Package wnpp. (Thu, 20 Jun 2013 08:51:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Tom Strickx <tom.strickx@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, tstrickx@rootcu.be. (Thu, 20 Jun 2013 08:51:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #30 received at 708132@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Tom Strickx <tom.strickx@gmail.com>
To: Liang Guo <bluestonechina@gmail.com>, 708132@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#708132: ITP: bcache-tools -- These are the userspace tools required for bcache.
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 10:48:05 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Thank you for the feedback. I’ll update my package and contact the upstream owner this weekend.

On 19 Jun 2013, at 07:57, Liang Guo <bluestonechina@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Liang Guo <bluestonechina@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 8:43 PM,  <tstrickx@rootcu.be> wrote:
>>> Package: wnpp
>>> Severity: wishlist
>>> Owner: tstrickx@rootcu.be
>>> 
>>> 
>>> * Package name    : bcache-tools
>>>  Version         : 1.0
>>>  Upstream Author : Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet@gmail.com>
>>> * URL             : http://bcache.evilpiepirate.org/
>>> * License         : GPL
>>>  Programming Lang: C
>>>  Description     : These are the userspace tools required for bcache.
>>> 
>>> Bcache is a patch for the Linux kernel to use SSDs to cache other block
>>> devices. For more information, see http://bcache.evilpiepirate.org.
>>> Documentation for the run time interface is included in the kernel tree, in
>>> Documentantion/bcache.txt.
>>> 
>>> Included tools:
>>> 
>>> make-bcache
>>> Formats a block device for use with bcache. A device can be formatted for use
>>> as a cache or as a backing device (requires yet to be implemented kernel
>>> support). The most important option is for specifying the bucket size.
>>> Allocation is done in terms of buckets, and cache hits are counted per bucket;
>>> thus a smaller bucket size will give better cache utilization, but poorer write
>>> performance. The bucket size is intended to be equal to the size of your SSD's
>>> erase blocks, which seems to be 128k-512k for most SSDs; feel free to
>>> experiment.
>>> 
>>> probe-bcache
>>> Only necessary until support for the bcache superblock is included
>>> in blkid; in the meantime, provides just enough functionality for a udev script
>>> to create the /dev/disk/by-uuid symlink. The arguments it does support are the
>>> same as for blkid.
>>> 
>>> bcache-super-show
>>> Prints the bcache superblock of a cache device or a backing device.
>>> 
>> Hi,
>> 
>> Any progress on this ITP? bcache is enabled in linux-image-3.10-rc5-amd64.
>> 
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Liang Guo
>> http://bluestone.cublog.cn
> Hi,
> 
> I find you uploaded bcache-tools to mentors.d.n, it works, this is an
> simple review:
> 
> 1 linux-image-3.10-rc5-* is still in experimental, so I advice upload
> to experimental
> 
> 2 Standards-Version should be 3.9.4
> 
> 3 bcache is only available in linux world, so please set Architecture
> to linux-any
> 
> 4 Description is a little long, please try to make it shorter.
> 
> 5 Please rewrite debian/copyright to compliance DEP-5[1]
> 
> 6 upstream file don't have copyright header, you'd better ask upstream to add a
> copyright header.
> 
> [1] http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/
> 
> 
> 
> 
> --
> Liang Guo
> http://bluestone.cublog.cn

[Message part 2 (text/html, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, tstrickx@rootcu.be:
Bug#708132; Package wnpp. (Wed, 17 Jul 2013 20:21:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Kent Overstreet <kmo@daterainc.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, tstrickx@rootcu.be. (Wed, 17 Jul 2013 20:21:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #35 received at 708132@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Kent Overstreet <kmo@daterainc.com>
To: 708132@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#708132: ITP: bcache-tools -- These are the userspace tools required for bcache.
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 13:18:25 -0700
On 19 Jun 2013, at 07:57, Liang Guo <bluestonechina@gmail.com> wrote:
> 6 upstream file don't have copyright header, you'd better ask upstream
> to add a
> copyright header.

Fixed this in the version I just pushed - there's a COPYING file (that I
added a few weeks ago), and I just added copyright information to the
source files.



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, tstrickx@rootcu.be:
Bug#708132; Package wnpp. (Sun, 11 Aug 2013 16:15:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Luk Claes <luk@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, tstrickx@rootcu.be. (Sun, 11 Aug 2013 16:15:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #40 received at 708132@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Luk Claes <luk@debian.org>
To: 708132@bugs.debian.org, Tom Strickx <tom.strickx@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Bug#708132: ITP: bcache-tools -- These are the userspace tools required for bcache.
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 18:14:10 +0200
Hi

What's the status of this ITP?

Can you upload a fixed package to mentors and let me know?

Cheers

Luk



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, tstrickx@rootcu.be:
Bug#708132; Package wnpp. (Sun, 01 Sep 2013 20:57:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Gabriel de Perthuis <g2p.code@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, tstrickx@rootcu.be. (Sun, 01 Sep 2013 20:57:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #45 received at 708132@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Gabriel de Perthuis <g2p.code@gmail.com>
To: 708132@bugs.debian.org
Cc: Kent Overstreet <kmo@daterainc.com>
Subject: [ITP] bcache-tools
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 22:56:03 +0200
Hello,
I've imported the packaging work to https://github.com/g2p/bcache-tools/commits/debian ,
build instructions (with git buildpackage) are in the current top commit.
I may rebase the debian branch to stay on top of upstream changes.



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, tstrickx@rootcu.be:
Bug#708132; Package wnpp. (Mon, 02 Sep 2013 08:39:10 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Tom Strickx <tom.strickx@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, tstrickx@rootcu.be. (Mon, 02 Sep 2013 08:39:10 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #50 received at 708132@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Tom Strickx <tom.strickx@gmail.com>
To: Gabriel de Perthuis <g2p.code@gmail.com>, 708132@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#708132: [ITP] bcache-tools
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 10:35:51 +0200
I apologise sincerely for the complete and utter lack of comments on my part. I had failure on the build machine, and after that a much needed vacation.
Work on this should resume on wednesday.

Again, I apologise for the delay.

On 01 Sep 2013, at 22:56, Gabriel de Perthuis <g2p.code@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I've imported the packaging work to https://github.com/g2p/bcache-tools/commits/debian ,
> build instructions (with git buildpackage) are in the current top commit.
> I may rebase the debian branch to stay on top of upstream changes.




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, tstrickx@rootcu.be:
Bug#708132; Package wnpp. (Wed, 16 Oct 2013 13:03:10 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Gabriel de Perthuis <g2p.code@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, tstrickx@rootcu.be. (Wed, 16 Oct 2013 13:03:10 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #55 received at 708132@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Gabriel de Perthuis <g2p.code@gmail.com>
To: 708132@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Updated bcache-tools package
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 15:01:53 +0200
Hello,
I've uploaded the package here:
https://mentors.debian.net/package/bcache-tools
The source is here as before:
https://github.com/g2p/bcache-tools

There's been a lot of upstream changes since last time, mostly around
udev rules.  I've also changed the packaging so that the initramfs hook
gets installed to /usr/share instead of /etc.
Lintian should be pretty happy with it.

I'd like to get sponsored so that this is available in unstable.



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, tstrickx@rootcu.be:
Bug#708132; Package wnpp. (Tue, 21 Jan 2014 23:15:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, tstrickx@rootcu.be. (Tue, 21 Jan 2014 23:15:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #60 received at 708132@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de>
To: 708132@bugs.debian.org, Gabriel de Perthuis <g2p.code@gmail.com>
Subject: Review on mentors
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 00:12:43 +0100
Hi,

I've added a short review on the last version on mentors. I'll happily sponsor
the package as soon as it is in a good shape, feel free to contact me directly,
either on irc or by mail (please CC: b.zeimetz@conova.com so I can keep track of
it at work).

Thanks!

Bernd
-- 
 Bernd Zeimetz                            Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 http://bzed.de                                http://www.debian.org
 GPG Fingerprint: ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485  DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F



Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Thu Apr 17 01:23:24 2014; Machine Name: buxtehude.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.