Debian Bug report logs - #692984
ITP: sogo-connector -- full DAV client for Thunderbird/IceDove

Package: wnpp; Maintainer for wnpp is wnpp@debian.org;

Reported by: Joseph Nahmias <joe@nahmias.net>

Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 17:45:02 UTC

Owned by: c.schoenert@t-online.de

Severity: wishlist

Reply or subscribe to this bug.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, joe@nahmias.net, debian-devel@lists.debian.org, users@sogo.nu, wnpp@debian.org:
Bug#692984; Package wnpp. (Sun, 11 Nov 2012 17:45:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Joseph Nahmias <joe@nahmias.net>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to joe@nahmias.net, debian-devel@lists.debian.org, users@sogo.nu, wnpp@debian.org. (Sun, 11 Nov 2012 17:45:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Joseph Nahmias <joe@nahmias.net>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: ITP: sogo-connector -- full DAV client for Thunderbird/IceDove
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 12:41:14 -0500
Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist
Owner: Joseph Nahmias <joe@nahmias.net>

* Package name    : sogo-connector
  Version         : 10.0.3
  Upstream Author : Inverse, Inc
* URL             : http://sogo.nu/
* License         : GPL2
  Programming Lang: XUL/Javascriopt
  Description     : full DAV client for Thunderbird/IceDove

 This extension enables Thunderbird/IceDove as a full DAV client for use
 with groupware servers (such as SOGo).  Features include:
 .
  * Event organizers
  * CardDAV support that is generic, so you can use it with any
    address book service (eg. fruux)
  * Support for WebDAV access control lists (ACL)



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Joseph Nahmias <joe@nahmias.net>:
Bug#692984; Package wnpp. (Wed, 21 Aug 2013 11:06:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Carsten Schoenert <c.schoenert@t-online.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Joseph Nahmias <joe@nahmias.net>. (Wed, 21 Aug 2013 11:06:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 692984@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Carsten Schoenert <c.schoenert@t-online.de>
To: Joseph Nahmias <joe@nahmias.net>, 692984@bugs.debian.org, 705488@busg.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#692984: ITP: sogo-connector -- full DAV client for Thunderbird/IceDove
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 13:03:14 +0200
Hello Joseph,

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 12:41:14PM -0500, Joseph Nahmias wrote:
> Package: wnpp
> Severity: wishlist
> Owner: Joseph Nahmias <joe@nahmias.net>
> 
> * Package name    : sogo-connector
>   Version         : 10.0.3
>   Upstream Author : Inverse, Inc
> * URL             : http://sogo.nu/
> * License         : GPL2
>   Programming Lang: XUL/Javascriopt
>   Description     : full DAV client for Thunderbird/IceDove
> 
>  This extension enables Thunderbird/IceDove as a full DAV client for use
>  with groupware servers (such as SOGo).  Features include:
>  .
>   * Event organizers
>   * CardDAV support that is generic, so you can use it with any
>     address book service (eg. fruux)
>   * Support for WebDAV access control lists (ACL)

what about your ITP for the sogo-connector?
I worked locally with the packaging for this plugin and would like to do
the packaging for Debian because the have since a few weeks a user wish
for for the sogo-connector addon (see #705488).
I have talked to Jeroen about some possible problems with the
sogo-connector. He can provide me/us a personal login to the sogo
instance on the servers on inversa.ca for a better testing of the
package.

Regards
Carsten



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Joseph Nahmias <joe@nahmias.net>:
Bug#692984; Package wnpp. (Thu, 29 Aug 2013 12:24:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.com.au>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Joseph Nahmias <joe@nahmias.net>. (Thu, 29 Aug 2013 12:24:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 692984@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.com.au>
To: 692984@bugs.debian.org
Cc: c.schoenert@t-online.de, joe@nahmias.net
Subject: upstream binary / DAViCal / CardDAV problems on wheezy
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 14:21:20 +0200
I have a Debian wheezy server running the DAViCal package

On the desktop, I have icedove and iceowl-extension (Calendar).  They
work fine with the DAViCal server for calendar/tasks.  I've also tested
the Evolution client using DAViCal for contacts, that works fine too.

I downloaded upstream's SOGo Connector plugin for ThunderBird 10 and
installed it in icedove.  It appears to install successfully and I can
define a "Remote Address Book", but I can't see any of the contacts in
DAViCal and I can't create any either.

Is the ThunderBird 17 variant of this plugin more likely to work
successfully?

Is the TB10 or TB17 variant unsupported on icedove in any way?  If
upstream only supports Thunderbird and not icedove, is it a problem for
packaging?

Has anybody started a VCS for packaging this?  I would be happy to try
it further and provide feedback.





Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Joseph Nahmias <joe@nahmias.net>:
Bug#692984; Package wnpp. (Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:00:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Jeroen Dekkers <jeroen@dekkers.ch>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Joseph Nahmias <joe@nahmias.net>. (Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:00:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 692984@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Jeroen Dekkers <jeroen@dekkers.ch>
To: Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.com.au>, 692984@bugs.debian.org
Cc: c.schoenert@t-online.de, joe@nahmias.net
Subject: Re: Bug#692984: upstream binary / DAViCal / CardDAV problems on wheezy
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 14:57:21 +0200
At Thu, 29 Aug 2013 14:21:20 +0200,
Daniel Pocock wrote:
> I have a Debian wheezy server running the DAViCal package
> 
> On the desktop, I have icedove and iceowl-extension (Calendar).  They
> work fine with the DAViCal server for calendar/tasks.  I've also tested
> the Evolution client using DAViCal for contacts, that works fine too.
> 
> I downloaded upstream's SOGo Connector plugin for ThunderBird 10 and
> installed it in icedove.  It appears to install successfully and I can
> define a "Remote Address Book", but I can't see any of the contacts in
> DAViCal and I can't create any either.
> 
> Is the ThunderBird 17 variant of this plugin more likely to work
> successfully?

The plugin is developed for SOGo and only tested on SOGo, so I don't
think the newer version is more likely to work than the older
version...


Kind regards,

Jeroen Dekkers





Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Joseph Nahmias <joe@nahmias.net>:
Bug#692984; Package wnpp. (Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:03:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.com.au>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Joseph Nahmias <joe@nahmias.net>. (Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:03:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #25 received at 692984@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.com.au>
To: Jeroen Dekkers <jeroen@dekkers.ch>
Cc: 692984@bugs.debian.org, c.schoenert@t-online.de, joe@nahmias.net
Subject: Re: Bug#692984: upstream binary / DAViCal / CardDAV problems on wheezy
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 15:00:58 +0200
On 29/08/13 14:57, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> At Thu, 29 Aug 2013 14:21:20 +0200,
> Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> I have a Debian wheezy server running the DAViCal package
>>
>> On the desktop, I have icedove and iceowl-extension (Calendar).  They
>> work fine with the DAViCal server for calendar/tasks.  I've also tested
>> the Evolution client using DAViCal for contacts, that works fine too.
>>
>> I downloaded upstream's SOGo Connector plugin for ThunderBird 10 and
>> installed it in icedove.  It appears to install successfully and I can
>> define a "Remote Address Book", but I can't see any of the contacts in
>> DAViCal and I can't create any either.
>>
>> Is the ThunderBird 17 variant of this plugin more likely to work
>> successfully?
> The plugin is developed for SOGo and only tested on SOGo, so I don't
> think the newer version is more likely to work than the older
> version...
>

The way it is described on their web site:

SOGo "connector" plugin: suitable for "horizontal" deployment - generic
CalDAV/CardDAV for any server

SOGo "integrator" plugin: suitable for "vertical" deployment - uses
features specific to SOGo servers

There are many online forum discussions suggesting it works with DAViCal
and others.

Is icedove 17 likely to appear in backports any time soon?  I might try
building it on wheezy and run it with the SOGo connector 17 plugin to
see if it is more successful




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Joseph Nahmias <joe@nahmias.net>:
Bug#692984; Package wnpp. (Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:42:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Carsten Schoenert <c.schoenert@t-online.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Joseph Nahmias <joe@nahmias.net>. (Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:42:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #30 received at 692984@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Carsten Schoenert <c.schoenert@t-online.de>
To: Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.com.au>, 692984@bugs.debian.org
Cc: Jeroen Dekkers <jeroen@dekkers.ch>, joe@nahmias.net
Subject: Re: Bug#692984: upstream binary / DAViCal / CardDAV problems on wheezy
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 15:37:49 +0200
Hello Daniel,

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 03:00:58PM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> Is icedove 17 likely to appear in backports any time soon?  I might try
> building it on wheezy and run it with the SOGo connector 17 plugin to
> see if it is more successful

I don't think we will spend much time on getting ID17 in
wheezy-backports. Christoph has uploaded Icedove 17.0.8-1 yesterday to
stable-security. So shortly the latest version of Thunderbird will be
landing in Wheezy thrue stable-security.
The differences between stable-security and sid are quite marginal. We
have to work more on the current build problems for soem platforms.

Localy I have the sogo-connector packaged for Icedove 17, but until now
I don't have it installed yet. For testing surpose I use the 10.0.12 in
on my laptopt with testing.
Right now I'm sitting in front of a Wheezy installation with a Icedove
17 from stable security. Maybe later I can install the sogo-connector
here, right now I'm trying to get the next ESR release of Thunderbird
(until now just 24.0b1) packaged.

If there are no greater problems with my sogo-connector package I can
provide you a download.

Regrads
Carsten



Message sent on to Joseph Nahmias <joe@nahmias.net>:
Bug#692984. (Fri, 30 Aug 2013 19:00:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #33 received at 692984-submitter@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Carsten Schoenert <c.schoenert@t-online.de>
To: 692984-submitter@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#692984: upstream binary / DAViCal / CardDAV problems on wheezy
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 20:57:41 +0200
Hello,

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 03:37:49PM +0200, Carsten Schoenert wrote:
> Localy I have the sogo-connector packaged for Icedove 17, but until now
> I don't have it installed yet. For testing surpose I use the 10.0.12 in
> on my laptopt with testing.

I have worked again on the packaging of the sogo-connector. My work can
be found on:
https://github.com/tijuca/sogo-connector

I have installed the package xul-ext-sogo-connector*.deb on a Wheezy
installation with the current Icedove 17.0.8-1 from stable-security.
But until now I don't have done any integration into OwnCloud for
example or something else.

So far I can see there seems to be a little problem in the preferences
menu for SoGo connector with some entity problems within the file
/usr/share/xul-ext/sogo-connector/chrome/content/sogo-connector/preferences/edit-category.xul
and the line
<label value="&pref.categories.name.label;" control="categoryName"/>
but I doesn't have investigate this thery much.

The deb package and related files cann be found on:
http://openmct.org/misc/sogo-connector/

If someone found some error or solution, please let me know!
I know that the packaging isn't perfect, but it's for now o.k. I think. ;)

Regards
Carsten



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, Joseph Nahmias <joe@nahmias.net>:
Bug#692984; Package wnpp. (Sat, 31 Aug 2013 15:39:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.com.au>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, Joseph Nahmias <joe@nahmias.net>. (Sat, 31 Aug 2013 15:39:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #38 received at 692984@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.com.au>
To: Carsten Schoenert <c.schoenert@t-online.de>
Cc: 692984@bugs.debian.org, Jeroen Dekkers <jeroen@dekkers.ch>, joe@nahmias.net
Subject: Re: Bug#692984: upstream binary / DAViCal / CardDAV problems on wheezy
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 17:36:18 +0200

On 29/08/13 15:37, Carsten Schoenert wrote:
> Hello Daniel,
> 
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 03:00:58PM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> Is icedove 17 likely to appear in backports any time soon?  I might try
>> building it on wheezy and run it with the SOGo connector 17 plugin to
>> see if it is more successful
> 
> I don't think we will spend much time on getting ID17 in
> wheezy-backports. Christoph has uploaded Icedove 17.0.8-1 yesterday to
> stable-security. So shortly the latest version of Thunderbird will be
> landing in Wheezy thrue stable-security.

Great, thanks for making that available, I've tried 17 and I've filed a
couple of bug reports about upgrade experience but otherwise it works
for me although I haven't yet tried all features I normally use.

> The differences between stable-security and sid are quite marginal. We
> have to work more on the current build problems for soem platforms.
> 
> Localy I have the sogo-connector packaged for Icedove 17, but until now
> I don't have it installed yet. For testing surpose I use the 10.0.12 in
> on my laptopt with testing.
> Right now I'm sitting in front of a Wheezy installation with a Icedove
> 17 from stable security. Maybe later I can install the sogo-connector
> here, right now I'm trying to get the next ESR release of Thunderbird
> (until now just 24.0b1) packaged.
> 
> If there are no greater problems with my sogo-connector package I can
> provide you a download.

I found the solution to my problem using the connector

I can confirm that both the TB10 and TB17 connectors from upstream work
with the respective icedove versions in wheezy against a DAViCal server
on wheezy.

The reason it didn't work for me in the beginning is because the default
config in DAViCal is for a calendar-only resource.

Somehow, Evolution was able to use the calendar-only resource to store
vCards: that seems like a bug in both DAViCal and Evolution, they
shouldn't allow that.  However, that left me thinking there was
something wrong with the SOGo Connector because it couldn't see the
contacts the Evolution could create and retrieve.

When I started looking around in the DAViCal settings, I realised I had
to create another resource for my address book and DAViCal creates a
different URL for that.  I put that new address book URL in the SOGo
Connector and it is working.

It would be useful if the connector could give users a helpful error if
they misconfigure it like that, I had no useful error to help me and I
was just guessing what was wrong.

One minor problem left, Icedove address book only allows up to 2 email
addresses per contact but Evolution and Android allow more than 2.  It
is not clear to me whether changing those contacts in Icedove's address
book will result in the loss of the extra email addresses when they sync.





Owner changed from Joseph Nahmias <joe@nahmias.net> to c.schoenert@t-online.de. Request was from Carsten Schoenert <c.schoenert@t-online.de> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sun, 01 Sep 2013 18:33:16 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, c.schoenert@t-online.de:
Bug#692984; Package wnpp. (Tue, 11 Feb 2014 22:21:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Carsten Schoenert <c.schoenert@t-online.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, c.schoenert@t-online.de. (Tue, 11 Feb 2014 22:21:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #45 received at 692984@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Carsten Schoenert <c.schoenert@t-online.de>
To: Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.com.au>, 692984@bugs.debian.org
Cc: Jeroen Dekkers <jeroen@dekkers.ch>, joe@nahmias.net
Subject: Re: Bug#692984: upstream binary / DAViCal / CardDAV problems on wheezy
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 23:18:06 +0100
Hello Daniel,

I imported the latest upstream version 24 of the sogo-connector and
rebuild the package. The current output of git-buildpackage will be
found on the links I posted earlier.

On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 05:36:18PM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> I found the solution to my problem using the connector
> 
> I can confirm that both the TB10 and TB17 connectors from upstream work
> with the respective icedove versions in wheezy against a DAViCal server
> on wheezy.
> 
> The reason it didn't work for me in the beginning is because the default
> config in DAViCal is for a calendar-only resource.
> 
> Somehow, Evolution was able to use the calendar-only resource to store
> vCards: that seems like a bug in both DAViCal and Evolution, they
> shouldn't allow that.  However, that left me thinking there was
> something wrong with the SOGo Connector because it couldn't see the
> contacts the Evolution could create and retrieve.
> 
> When I started looking around in the DAViCal settings, I realised I had
> to create another resource for my address book and DAViCal creates a
> different URL for that.  I put that new address book URL in the SOGo
> Connector and it is working.

I plan to write a wiki page if the package is once available thrue the
repositorys. Your summary above would be good to place then there.

> It would be useful if the connector could give users a helpful error if
> they misconfigure it like that, I had no useful error to help me and I
> was just guessing what was wrong.

Sadly true, maybe I can talk about that with Jeroen in the near future.

> One minor problem left, Icedove address book only allows up to 2 email
> addresses per contact but Evolution and Android allow more than 2.  It
> is not clear to me whether changing those contacts in Icedove's address
> book will result in the loss of the extra email addresses when they sync.

I don't believe Mozilla will work on such "minor" issues. We can be
happy if Mozilla is making some housekeeping inside the code and
implements some more core requirements like the TLS 1.2 implementation
in the near past.
We will see. :)

Regards
Carsten



Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Fri Apr 18 08:24:46 2014; Machine Name: buxtehude.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.