Debian Bug report logs - #687901
unable to use gtk2-engines

Package: gtk2-engines-oxygen; Maintainer for gtk2-engines-oxygen is Debian KDE Extras Team <pkg-kde-extras@lists.alioth.debian.org>; Source for gtk2-engines-oxygen is src:gtk2-engines-oxygen.

Reported by: Sam Protsenko <joe.skb7@gmail.com>

Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 22:45:02 UTC

Severity: normal

Reply or subscribe to this bug.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Qt/KDE Maintainers <debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#687901; Package kde-standard. (Sun, 16 Sep 2012 22:45:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Sam Protsenko <joe.skb7@gmail.com>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to Debian Qt/KDE Maintainers <debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org>. (Sun, 16 Sep 2012 22:45:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Sam Protsenko <joe.skb7@gmail.com>
To: submit@bugs.debian.org
Subject: unable to use gtk2-engines
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 15:40:29 -0700
Package: kde-standard
Version: 5:77
Severity: normal

Dear Maintainer,

When "gtk2-engines-oxygen" package installed, GTK2 applications (like
"iceweasel" etc.) don't use GTK2 engines for look'n'feel like KDE apps.
I have found workaround -- to create symbolic link at home directory:

$ ln -s .gtkrc-2.0-kde .gtkrc-2.0

It's related to /usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-2.0/gtkrc file.

With this link GTK2-engines work fine (GTK2 apps looks like KDE ones).
I don't know why this is so, and I really don't know if this issue 
related to
KDE or Debian, but I think "user doesn't care" -- we need to
keep this feature easy to use, w/o doing some weird actions like this.

So there is an objective:
GTK2 engines must work at once if one of gtk2-engines-* package is 
installed.

Also there is propose (but it's optional) to add gtk2-engines-oxygen 
package
to kde-standard, kde-minimal and kde-full packages, because user uses KDE
usually wants to use GTK2 applications (iceweasel, gimp, icedove and 
many other
good GTK2 stuff).

-- System Information:
Debian Release: wheezy/sid
  APT prefers testing
  APT policy: (500, 'testing')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)
Foreign Architectures: i386

Kernel: Linux 3.2.0-3-amd64 (SMP w/4 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash




Message sent on to Sam Protsenko <joe.skb7@gmail.com>:
Bug#687901. (Sun, 16 Sep 2012 23:51:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #8 received at 687901-submitter@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <perezmeyer@gmail.com>
To: 687901-submitter@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#687901: unable to use gtk2-engines
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 20:46:41 -0300
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Control: reassign -1 gtk2-engines-oxygen

On Sun 16 Sep 2012 19:40:29 Sam Protsenko escribió:
[snip]
> When "gtk2-engines-oxygen" package installed, GTK2 applications (like
> "iceweasel" etc.) don't use GTK2 engines for look'n'feel like KDE apps.
> I have found workaround -- to create symbolic link at home directory:
> 
> $ ln -s .gtkrc-2.0-kde .gtkrc-2.0
> 
> It's related to /usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-2.0/gtkrc file.

This seems a bug in gtk2-engines-oxygen, so I'm reassigning it.

Kinds regards, Lisandro.

-- 
Antiguo proverbio del Viejo Machi: "Prefiero que mi cerebro esté en la
cresta de la ola, y mi PC un paso atrás sirviéndolo y no tener mi PC en
el 'estado del arte' y mi cerebro un paso atrás asistiéndola."
  http://www.grulic.org.ar/lurker/message/20090507.020516.ffda0441.es.html

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Bug reassigned from package 'kde-standard' to 'gtk2-engines-oxygen'. Request was from Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <perezmeyer@gmail.com> to 687901-submitter@bugs.debian.org. (Sun, 16 Sep 2012 23:51:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

No longer marked as found in versions meta-kde/5:77. Request was from Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <perezmeyer@gmail.com> to 687901-submitter@bugs.debian.org. (Sun, 16 Sep 2012 23:51:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message sent on to Sam Protsenko <joe.skb7@gmail.com>:
Bug#687901. (Mon, 17 Sep 2012 00:00:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 687901-submitter@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <perezmeyer@gmail.com>
To: 687901-submitter@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#687901: unable to use gtk2-engines
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 20:57:49 -0300
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Sun 16 Sep 2012 20:46:41 Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer escribió:
> Control: reassign -1 gtk2-engines-oxygen
> 
> On Sun 16 Sep 2012 19:40:29 Sam Protsenko escribió:
> [snip]
> 
> > When "gtk2-engines-oxygen" package installed, GTK2 applications (like
> > "iceweasel" etc.) don't use GTK2 engines for look'n'feel like KDE apps.
> > I have found workaround -- to create symbolic link at home directory:
> > 
> > $ ln -s .gtkrc-2.0-kde .gtkrc-2.0
> > 
> > It's related to /usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-2.0/gtkrc file.
> 
> This seems a bug in gtk2-engines-oxygen, so I'm reassigning it.

By the way, have you configured the GTK theme to use in systemsettings? (you 
need kde-config-gtk-style). It will probably default to standar Gnome stuff 
until confgured. And maybe that's when the file get's created.

Kinds regards, Lisandro.

-- 
Quizá, para muchos, ahora que lo pienso, Wikipedia tiene
ciertamente un defecto imperdonable. No adorna.
  Ariel Torres, "Probablemente, la Wikipedia esté bien"
  La Nación Tecnología, Sábado 25 de agosto de 2007
  http://www.lanacion.com.ar/tecnologia/nota.asp?nota_id=937889

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information stored :
Bug#687901; Package gtk2-engines-oxygen. (Mon, 17 Sep 2012 04:39:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Sam Protsenko <joe.skb7@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and filed, but not forwarded. (Mon, 17 Sep 2012 04:39:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 687901-quiet@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Sam Protsenko <joe.skb7@gmail.com>
To: Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <perezmeyer@gmail.com>, 687901-quiet@bugs.debian.org
Cc: 687901-submitter@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#687901: unable to use gtk2-engines
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 21:35:52 -0700
On 09/16/2012 04:57 PM, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> On Sun 16 Sep 2012 20:46:41 Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer escribió:
>> Control: reassign -1 gtk2-engines-oxygen
>>
>> On Sun 16 Sep 2012 19:40:29 Sam Protsenko escribió:
>> [snip]
>>
>>> When "gtk2-engines-oxygen" package installed, GTK2 applications (like
>>> "iceweasel" etc.) don't use GTK2 engines for look'n'feel like KDE apps.
>>> I have found workaround -- to create symbolic link at home directory:
>>>
>>> $ ln -s .gtkrc-2.0-kde .gtkrc-2.0
>>>
>>> It's related to /usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-2.0/gtkrc file.
>> This seems a bug in gtk2-engines-oxygen, so I'm reassigning it.
> By the way, have you configured the GTK theme to use in systemsettings? (you
> need kde-config-gtk-style). It will probably default to standar Gnome stuff
> until confgured. And maybe that's when the file get's created.
>
> Kinds regards, Lisandro.
>
There is no such package in repository (kde-config-gtk-style), at least 
at testing branch. Even if we will have such package, we should to put 
it to "gtk2-engines-*" dependencies list.

-- 
Best regards,
  Sam Protsenko




Message sent on to Sam Protsenko <joe.skb7@gmail.com>:
Bug#687901. (Mon, 17 Sep 2012 04:39:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian KDE Extras Team <pkg-kde-extras@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#687901; Package gtk2-engines-oxygen. (Mon, 17 Sep 2012 07:18:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Boris Pek <Tehnick-8@yandex.ru>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian KDE Extras Team <pkg-kde-extras@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Mon, 17 Sep 2012 07:18:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #28 received at 687901@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Boris Pek <Tehnick-8@yandex.ru>
To: Sam Protsenko <joe.skb7@gmail.com>,Lisandro Damian Nicanor Perez Meyer <perezmeyer@gmail.com>
Cc: 687901@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#687901: unable to use gtk2-engines
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 10:16:17 +0300
Hi,

> There is no such package in repository (kde-config-gtk-style), at least 
> at testing branch.

You could help Release Team to make decision about including it into Wheezy:
http://bugs.debian.org/685456

> Even if we will have such package, we should to put 
> it to "gtk2-engines-*" dependencies list.

This is bad idea. But gtk2-engines-oxygen may recommend kde-config-gtk-style
I think.

Best regards,
Boris



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian KDE Extras Team <pkg-kde-extras@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#687901; Package gtk2-engines-oxygen. (Mon, 17 Sep 2012 22:18:16 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Joe <joe.skb7@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian KDE Extras Team <pkg-kde-extras@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Mon, 17 Sep 2012 22:18:16 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #33 received at 687901@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Joe <joe.skb7@gmail.com>
To: Boris Pek <Tehnick-8@yandex.ru>
Cc: Lisandro Damian Nicanor Perez Meyer <perezmeyer@gmail.com>, 687901@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#687901: unable to use gtk2-engines
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:17:41 -0700
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Boris,

Thanks a lot for pointing me to bug #685456, these two are really related.

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 12:16 AM, Boris Pek <Tehnick-8@yandex.ru> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > There is no such package in repository (kde-config-gtk-style), at least
> > at testing branch.
>
> You could help Release Team to make decision about including it into
> Wheezy:
> http://bugs.debian.org/685456
>
> > Even if we will have such package, we should to put
> > it to "gtk2-engines-*" dependencies list.
>
> This is bad idea. But gtk2-engines-oxygen may recommend
> kde-config-gtk-style
> I think.
>
> Best regards,
> Boris
>



-- 
Best regards,
  Sam Protsenko
[Message part 2 (text/html, inline)]

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Fri Apr 25 08:49:09 2014; Machine Name: beach.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.