Debian Bug report logs - #684485
thunar: No icon for some pdf documents shown

Package: tumbler; Maintainer for tumbler is Debian Xfce Maintainers <pkg-xfce-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>; Source for tumbler is src:tumbler.

Reported by: Boris Hollas <borish@gmx.de>

Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 12:24:02 UTC

Severity: normal

Reply or subscribe to this bug.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Xfce Maintainers <pkg-xfce-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#684485; Package thunar. (Fri, 10 Aug 2012 12:24:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Boris Hollas <borish@gmx.de>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to Debian Xfce Maintainers <pkg-xfce-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Fri, 10 Aug 2012 12:24:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Boris Hollas <borish@gmx.de>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: thunar: No icon for some pdf documents shown
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 14:20:14 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Package: thunar
Version: 1.2.3-4+b1
Severity: normal

For some pdf documents, thunar shows no icons, but just the name of the
documents in the default view.

For the document attached, I verified this on a fresh install of wheezy and
xfce 4.8.



-- System Information:
Debian Release: wheezy/sid
  APT prefers testing
  APT policy: (500, 'testing')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 3.2.0-3-amd64 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=de_DE.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash

Versions of packages thunar depends on:
ii  desktop-file-utils  0.20-0.1
ii  exo-utils           0.6.2-5
ii  libatk1.0-0         2.4.0-2
ii  libc6               2.13-33
ii  libcairo2           1.12.2-2
ii  libdbus-1-3         1.6.0-1
ii  libdbus-glib-1-2    0.100-1
ii  libexo-1-0          0.6.2-5
ii  libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0  2.26.1-1
ii  libglib2.0-0        2.32.3-1
ii  libgtk2.0-0         2.24.10-1
ii  libgudev-1.0-0      175-3.1
ii  libice6             2:1.0.8-2
ii  libnotify4          0.7.5-1
ii  libpango1.0-0       1.30.0-1
ii  libsm6              2:1.2.1-2
ii  libthunarx-2-0      1.2.3-4+b1
ii  libxfce4ui-1-0      4.8.1-1
ii  libxfce4util4       4.8.2-1
ii  shared-mime-info    1.0-1
ii  thunar-data         1.2.3-4

Versions of packages thunar recommends:
ii  dbus-x11        1.6.0-1
ii  gvfs            1.12.3-1+b1
ii  libfontconfig1  2.9.0-6
ii  libfreetype6    2.4.9-1
ii  thunar-volman   0.6.1-1
ii  tumbler         0.1.25-1+b1
ii  xdg-user-dirs   0.14-1
ii  xfce4-panel     4.8.6-3

Versions of packages thunar suggests:
ii  thunar-archive-plugin     0.3.0-4
ii  thunar-media-tags-plugin  0.2.0-1

-- no debconf information
[Functional dependencies of C functions via wp.pdf (application/pdf, attachment)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Xfce Maintainers <pkg-xfce-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#684485; Package thunar. (Fri, 10 Aug 2012 14:18:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Xfce Maintainers <pkg-xfce-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Fri, 10 Aug 2012 14:18:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 684485@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@debian.org>
To: Boris Hollas <borish@gmx.de>, 684485@bugs.debian.org
Cc: control@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: [Pkg-xfce-devel] Bug#684485: thunar: No icon for some pdf documents shown
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 07:14:25 -0700
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
reassign 684485 tumbler
thanks
On ven., 2012-08-10 at 14:20 +0200, Boris Hollas wrote:
> Package: thunar
> Version: 1.2.3-4+b1
> Severity: normal
> 
> For some pdf documents, thunar shows no icons, but just the name of
> the
> documents in the default view.
> 
That's because the tumbler thumbnailer generates an empty icon or
something. Tumbler uses poppler, and in your case doesn't really see any
error, as far as I can tell. The poppler thumbnailer is supposed to make
a thumbnail of the first page, so I'm unsure what happens, it'll need
some more investigation.

Regards,
-- 
Yves-Alexis
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Bug reassigned from package 'thunar' to 'tumbler'. Request was from Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Fri, 10 Aug 2012 14:18:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

No longer marked as found in versions thunar/1.2.3-4. Request was from Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Fri, 10 Aug 2012 14:18:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Xfce Maintainers <pkg-xfce-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#684485; Package tumbler. (Fri, 10 Aug 2012 15:00:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Xfce Maintainers <pkg-xfce-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Fri, 10 Aug 2012 15:00:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #19 received at 684485@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@debian.org>
To: 684485@bugs.debian.org
Cc: Boris Hollas <borish@gmx.de>
Subject: Re: [Pkg-xfce-devel] Bug#684485: Bug#684485: thunar: No icon for some pdf documents shown
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 07:57:46 -0700
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On ven., 2012-08-10 at 07:14 -0700, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> reassign 684485 tumbler
> thanks
> On ven., 2012-08-10 at 14:20 +0200, Boris Hollas wrote:
> > Package: thunar
> > Version: 1.2.3-4+b1
> > Severity: normal
> > 
> > For some pdf documents, thunar shows no icons, but just the name of
> > the
> > documents in the default view.
> > 
> That's because the tumbler thumbnailer generates an empty icon or
> something. Tumbler uses poppler, and in your case doesn't really see any
> error, as far as I can tell. The poppler thumbnailer is supposed to make
> a thumbnail of the first page, so I'm unsure what happens, it'll need
> some more investigation.
> 

Ok, I found the bug. Your pdf embeds a thumbnail, so by default that's
what's used by tumbler. In your case, the thumbnail is broken or empty,
I'm not too sure. If you have control over the pdf generation, than try
not to produce a thumbnail or make sure it's valid.

Other than that, there's not much we can do.

Regards,
-- 
Yves-Alexis
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Xfce Maintainers <pkg-xfce-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#684485; Package tumbler. (Fri, 10 Aug 2012 18:48:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to borish <borish@gmx.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Xfce Maintainers <pkg-xfce-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Fri, 10 Aug 2012 18:48:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #24 received at 684485@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: borish <borish@gmx.de>
To: Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@debian.org>
Cc: 684485@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: [Pkg-xfce-devel] Bug#684485: Bug#684485: thunar: No icon for some pdf documents shown
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 20:45:44 +0200
On 10.08.2012 16:57, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> Ok, I found the bug. Your pdf embeds a thumbnail, so by default that's
> what's used by tumbler. In your case, the thumbnail is broken or empty,
> I'm not too sure. If you have control over the pdf generation, than try
> not to produce a thumbnail or make sure it's valid.

No, I didn't produce this pdf. I have a couple of pdfs like this.

But if the thumbnail is empty, shouldn't thunar at least show a frame 
and a shadow?

Regards,
Boris



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Xfce Maintainers <pkg-xfce-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#684485; Package tumbler. (Fri, 10 Aug 2012 18:51:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Xfce Maintainers <pkg-xfce-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Fri, 10 Aug 2012 18:51:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #29 received at 684485@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@debian.org>
To: borish <borish@gmx.de>
Cc: 684485@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: [Pkg-xfce-devel] Bug#684485: Bug#684485: thunar: No icon for some pdf documents shown
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 11:47:07 -0700
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On ven., 2012-08-10 at 20:45 +0200, borish wrote:
> On 10.08.2012 16:57, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
>  > Ok, I found the bug. Your pdf embeds a thumbnail, so by default that's
>  > what's used by tumbler. In your case, the thumbnail is broken or empty,
>  > I'm not too sure. If you have control over the pdf generation, than try
>  > not to produce a thumbnail or make sure it's valid.
> 
> No, I didn't produce this pdf. I have a couple of pdfs like this.
> 
> But if the thumbnail is empty, shouldn't thunar at least show a frame 
> and a shadow?
> 
I have no idea what the tumbnail looks like, I just managed to find
there was an embedded thumbnail.

Regards,
-- 
Yves-Alexis
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Wed Apr 23 18:55:00 2014; Machine Name: beach.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.