Debian Bug report logs - #680626
Squeeze->Wheezy: dist-upgrade fails, /usr/bin/python unable to load libssl.so.1.0.0

Package: upgrade-reports; Maintainer for upgrade-reports is Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>;

Reported by: bertagaz <bertagaz@ptitcanardnoir.org>

Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 13:03:01 UTC

Severity: serious

Tags: wheezy-ignore

Fix blocked by 701047: octave-tsa: squeeze->wheezy upgrades broken: error while loading shared libraries: liblapack.so.3gf: cannot open shared object file, 671711: dpkg: runs trigger processing even if depedencies are not satisfied, 678848: liblapack3: octave has upgrade problems: liblapack.so.3gf: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Reply or subscribe to this bug.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#680626; Package upgrade-reports. (Sat, 07 Jul 2012 13:03:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to bertagaz <bertagaz@ptitcanardnoir.org>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>. (Sat, 07 Jul 2012 13:03:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: bertagaz <bertagaz@ptitcanardnoir.org>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: Squeeze->Wheezy: dist-upgrade fails, /usr/bin/python unable to load libssl.so.1.0.0
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 14:51:32 +0200
Package: upgrade-reports
Severity: normal

Hi,

In an attempt to test upgrading Squeeze to Wheezy now that the Big Wheezy
Freeze has come, it failed at the dist-upgrade step.

I installed a fresh Debian Squeeze and tested from it.

I wanted first to see if it would be possible to upgrade with a simple and
graphical method (using update-manager and synaptic), as it was quite
complicated for the Lenny->Squeeze upgrade.

Ended up with this result, so I also tested using plain apt-get upgrade
and dist-upgrade.

Same result, dist-upgrade fails on python-support postintallation script
with the following error:

Processing triggers for python-support ...
/usr/bin/python: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing python-support (--unpack):  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127

I noticed that the python2.7 transition is supposed to be "almost"
finished, might be related.

Attached is the transcript of the full upgrade session, including several
`dpkg -l` at different steps.

bert.




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#680626; Package upgrade-reports. (Sat, 07 Jul 2012 13:21:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to bertagaz@ptitcanardnoir.org:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>. (Sat, 07 Jul 2012 13:21:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 680626@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: bertagaz@ptitcanardnoir.org
To: 680626@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Squeeze->Wheezy: dist-upgrade fails, /usr/bin/python unable to load libssl.so.1.0.0
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 15:07:29 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Here's the forgotten attachment, sorry.
[upgrade-report.tgz (application/x-gtar-compressed, attachment)]

Severity set to 'serious' from 'normal' Request was from Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Thu, 12 Jul 2012 17:45:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#680626; Package upgrade-reports. (Sun, 15 Jul 2012 15:24:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>. (Sun, 15 Jul 2012 15:24:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #17 received at 680626@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>
To: bertagaz <bertagaz@ptitcanardnoir.org>, 680626@bugs.debian.org, dpkg@packages.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#680626: Squeeze->Wheezy: dist-upgrade fails, /usr/bin/python unable to load libssl.so.1.0.0
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 17:14:26 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Sat, Jul  7, 2012 at 14:51:32 +0200, bertagaz wrote:

> In an attempt to test upgrading Squeeze to Wheezy now that the Big Wheezy
> Freeze has come, it failed at the dist-upgrade step.
> 
> I installed a fresh Debian Squeeze and tested from it.
> 
> I wanted first to see if it would be possible to upgrade with a simple and
> graphical method (using update-manager and synaptic), as it was quite
> complicated for the Lenny->Squeeze upgrade.
> 
> Ended up with this result, so I also tested using plain apt-get upgrade
> and dist-upgrade.
> 
> Same result, dist-upgrade fails on python-support postintallation script
> with the following error:
> 
> Processing triggers for python-support ...
> /usr/bin/python: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> dpkg: error processing python-support (--unpack):  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127
> 
Looks like dpkg is running triggers from packages that aren't
configured.  Can dpkg folks have a look at this?  Bug#680626 has the
details.

Thanks,
Julien
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#680626; Package upgrade-reports. (Sun, 15 Jul 2012 16:36:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>. (Sun, 15 Jul 2012 16:36:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #22 received at 680626@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>
To: Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>
Cc: bertagaz <bertagaz@ptitcanardnoir.org>, 680626@bugs.debian.org, dpkg@packages.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#680626: Squeeze->Wheezy: dist-upgrade fails, /usr/bin/python unable to load libssl.so.1.0.0
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 18:26:50 +0200
On Sun, 2012-07-15 at 17:14:26 +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Sat, Jul  7, 2012 at 14:51:32 +0200, bertagaz wrote:
> > In an attempt to test upgrading Squeeze to Wheezy now that the Big Wheezy
> > Freeze has come, it failed at the dist-upgrade step.
> > 
> > I installed a fresh Debian Squeeze and tested from it.
> > 
> > I wanted first to see if it would be possible to upgrade with a simple and
> > graphical method (using update-manager and synaptic), as it was quite
> > complicated for the Lenny->Squeeze upgrade.
> > 
> > Ended up with this result, so I also tested using plain apt-get upgrade
> > and dist-upgrade.
> > 
> > Same result, dist-upgrade fails on python-support postintallation script
> > with the following error:
> > 
> > Processing triggers for python-support ...
> > /usr/bin/python: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> > dpkg: error processing python-support (--unpack):  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127

> Looks like dpkg is running triggers from packages that aren't
> configured.  Can dpkg folks have a look at this?  Bug#680626 has the
> details.

W/o having looked yet at the details I'd say this *seems* like #671711,
which I'm not planning on fixing for wheezy as it would introduce
regressions on other situations, and given that this behaviour has
been around since the introduction of triggers, and while quite
unfortunate it's something that will have to be worked around on the
affected packages because older dpkg will not be able to handle this
correctly anyway.

Going to look now, to make sure the above is the case.

regards,
guillem



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#680626; Package upgrade-reports. (Mon, 16 Jul 2012 12:21:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>. (Mon, 16 Jul 2012 12:21:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #27 received at 680626@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>
To: Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>
Cc: bertagaz <bertagaz@ptitcanardnoir.org>, 680626@bugs.debian.org, dpkg@packages.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#680626: Squeeze->Wheezy: dist-upgrade fails, /usr/bin/python unable to load libssl.so.1.0.0
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 14:19:03 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 18:26:50 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:

> W/o having looked yet at the details I'd say this *seems* like #671711,
> which I'm not planning on fixing for wheezy as it would introduce
> regressions on other situations, and given that this behaviour has
> been around since the introduction of triggers, and while quite
> unfortunate it's something that will have to be worked around on the
> affected packages because older dpkg will not be able to handle this
> correctly anyway.
> 
> Going to look now, to make sure the above is the case.
> 
That seems likely.  What is the recommended workaround here?  Should
package postinsts just ignore failures when called with 'triggered', or
is there a better way?

Thanks,
Julien
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#680626; Package upgrade-reports. (Tue, 31 Jul 2012 22:27:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 31 Jul 2012 22:27:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #32 received at 680626@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>
To: Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>
Cc: bertagaz <bertagaz@ptitcanardnoir.org>, 680626@bugs.debian.org, dpkg@packages.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#680626: Squeeze->Wheezy: dist-upgrade fails, /usr/bin/python unable to load libssl.so.1.0.0
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 00:22:22 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 14:19:03 +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 18:26:50 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> 
> > W/o having looked yet at the details I'd say this *seems* like #671711,
> > which I'm not planning on fixing for wheezy as it would introduce
> > regressions on other situations, and given that this behaviour has
> > been around since the introduction of triggers, and while quite
> > unfortunate it's something that will have to be worked around on the
> > affected packages because older dpkg will not be able to handle this
> > correctly anyway.
> > 
> > Going to look now, to make sure the above is the case.
> > 
> That seems likely.  What is the recommended workaround here?  Should
> package postinsts just ignore failures when called with 'triggered', or
> is there a better way?
> 
Ping?  Any ideas?

Cheers,
Julien
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#680626; Package upgrade-reports. (Thu, 02 Aug 2012 09:33:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to bertagaz@ptitcanardnoir.org:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>. (Thu, 02 Aug 2012 09:33:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #37 received at 680626@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: bertagaz@ptitcanardnoir.org
To: Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>
Cc: Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>, 680626@bugs.debian.org, dpkg@packages.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#680626: Squeeze->Wheezy: dist-upgrade fails, /usr/bin/python unable to load libssl.so.1.0.0
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 11:19:43 +0200
On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 12:22:22AM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 14:19:03 +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> 
> > On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 18:26:50 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > 
> > > W/o having looked yet at the details I'd say this *seems* like #671711,
> > > which I'm not planning on fixing for wheezy as it would introduce
> > > regressions on other situations, and given that this behaviour has
> > > been around since the introduction of triggers, and while quite
> > > unfortunate it's something that will have to be worked around on the
> > > affected packages because older dpkg will not be able to handle this
> > > correctly anyway.
> > > 
> > > Going to look now, to make sure the above is the case.
> > > 
> > That seems likely.  What is the recommended workaround here?  Should
> > package postinsts just ignore failures when called with 'triggered', or
> > is there a better way?
> > 
> Ping?  Any ideas?

I can understand the reasons not to fix the trigger bug, sounds like
something not that tricky.

However, given how it actually break the upgrade process, and will like
likely in the future, it would probably be a good idea to document
somewhere for package maintainers how to work around it.

I can commit to test further during the freeze if the upgrade process goes
well, and having this kind of documentation to point maintainers at would
help. If it already exists, please share the link.

bert.



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#680626; Package upgrade-reports. (Fri, 03 Aug 2012 00:36:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>. (Fri, 03 Aug 2012 00:36:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #42 received at 680626@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com>
To: bertagaz@ptitcanardnoir.org
Cc: Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>, Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>, 680626@bugs.debian.org, dpkg@packages.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#680626: Squeeze->Wheezy: dist-upgrade fails, /usr/bin/python unable to load libssl.so.1.0.0
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 17:33:11 -0700
Hi,

bertagaz@ptitcanardnoir.org wrote:

> I can understand the reasons not to fix the trigger bug, sounds like
> something not that tricky.
>
> However, given how it actually break the upgrade process, and will like
> likely in the future, it would probably be a good idea to document
> somewhere for package maintainers how to work around it.

I suspect the answer is some combination of "use noawait where possible"
and "do such-and-such in your postinst scripts, which after a careful
analysis of different upgrade paths I can guarantee will cause the
intended effect of the trigger to happen at some point in the
upgrade".

Unfortunately I have not done that careful analysis, so I can't give
the appropriate advice, but hopefully someone else will be able to
(using triggers.txt for reference and letting us know if they run into
any questions).

Thanks and sorry I have nothing better to offer,
Jonathan



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#680626; Package upgrade-reports. (Fri, 03 Aug 2012 09:09:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Bill Allombert <Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux1.fr>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>. (Fri, 03 Aug 2012 09:09:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #47 received at 680626@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Bill Allombert <Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux1.fr>
To: Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>, 680626@bugs.debian.org
Cc: Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>, bertagaz <bertagaz@ptitcanardnoir.org>, dpkg@packages.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#680626: Squeeze->Wheezy: dist-upgrade fails, /usr/bin/python unable to load libssl.so.1.0.0
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 11:04:25 +0200
On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 12:22:22AM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 14:19:03 +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> 
> > On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 18:26:50 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > 
> > > W/o having looked yet at the details I'd say this *seems* like #671711,
> > > which I'm not planning on fixing for wheezy as it would introduce
> > > regressions on other situations, and given that this behaviour has
> > > been around since the introduction of triggers, and while quite
> > > unfortunate it's something that will have to be worked around on the
> > > affected packages because older dpkg will not be able to handle this
> > > correctly anyway.
> > > 
> > > Going to look now, to make sure the above is the case.
> > > 
> > That seems likely.  What is the recommended workaround here?  Should
> > package postinsts just ignore failures when called with 'triggered', or
> > is there a better way?
> > 
> Ping?  Any ideas?

The current behaviour of triggers is well documented.
Packagers should not use triggers in situation when they need more than what
the trigger interface offer. This is why menu do not use triggers (see #556104).

Cheers,
-- 
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here. 



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#680626; Package upgrade-reports. (Fri, 03 Aug 2012 09:33:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>. (Fri, 03 Aug 2012 09:33:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #52 received at 680626@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>
To: Bill Allombert <Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux1.fr>
Cc: 680626@bugs.debian.org, Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>, bertagaz <bertagaz@ptitcanardnoir.org>, dpkg@packages.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#680626: Squeeze->Wheezy: dist-upgrade fails, /usr/bin/python unable to load libssl.so.1.0.0
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 11:29:22 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Fri, Aug  3, 2012 at 11:04:25 +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:

> The current behaviour of triggers is well documented.

triggers.txt.gz says "Packages in t-awaited and t-pending demand
satisfaction of their dependencies just like package in installed".  The
current behaviour doesn't seem to satisfy that at least for t-pending,
unless I'm missing something.

Either way, we need a fix for this in the squeeze to wheezy upgrade,
which means not involving dpkg or squeeze packages, and probably not
involving rewriting 10 packages to not use triggers (though I guess that
would be an option if there's no better idea).

Cheers,
Julien
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#680626; Package upgrade-reports. (Fri, 03 Aug 2012 13:48:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Julien Cristau <julien.cristau@logilab.fr>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>. (Fri, 03 Aug 2012 13:48:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #57 received at 680626@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Julien Cristau <julien.cristau@logilab.fr>
To: bertagaz <bertagaz@ptitcanardnoir.org>, 680626@bugs.debian.org
Cc: dpkg@packages.debian.org, python-support@packages.debian.org, doc-base@packages.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#680626: Squeeze->Wheezy: dist-upgrade fails, /usr/bin/python unable to load libssl.so.1.0.0
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 15:39:58 +0200
On Sat, Jul  7, 2012 at 14:51:32 +0200, bertagaz wrote:

> In an attempt to test upgrading Squeeze to Wheezy now that the Big Wheezy
> Freeze has come, it failed at the dist-upgrade step.
> 
> I installed a fresh Debian Squeeze and tested from it.
> 
> I wanted first to see if it would be possible to upgrade with a simple and
> graphical method (using update-manager and synaptic), as it was quite
> complicated for the Lenny->Squeeze upgrade.
> 
> Ended up with this result, so I also tested using plain apt-get upgrade
> and dist-upgrade.
> 
> Same result, dist-upgrade fails on python-support postintallation script
> with the following error:
> 
> Processing triggers for python-support ...
> /usr/bin/python: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> dpkg: error processing python-support (--unpack):  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127
> 
As a variation on this theme (triggers being run when the triggered
package is unconfigured in the middle of an upgrade from squeeze to
wheezy), I just got the following:

Processing triggers for doc-base ...
/usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/perl5/auto/UUID/UUID.so: undefined symbol: Perl_xs_apiversion_bootcheck
dpkg: error processing doc-base (--unpack):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127
Processing triggers for install-info ...
configured to not write apport reports
                                      Errors were encountered while processing:
 doc-base
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

With:
$ dpkg -l libuuid-perl perl-base perl doc-base
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                              Version                           Description
+++-=================================-=================================-==================================================================================
iF  doc-base                          0.9.5                             utilities to manage online documentation
iU  libuuid-perl                      0.02-4+b2                         Perl extension for using UUID interfaces as defined in e2fsprogs
ii  perl                              5.10.1-17squeeze2                 Larry Wall's Practical Extraction and Report Language
ii  perl-base                         5.10.1-17squeeze2                 minimal Perl system

i.e. new libuuid-perl is unpacked, while dpkg, perl and doc-base are still the squeeze version.

Cheers,
Julien
-- 
Julien Cristau          <julien.cristau@logilab.fr>
Logilab		        http://www.logilab.fr/
Informatique scientifique & gestion de connaissances



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#680626; Package upgrade-reports. (Sun, 05 Aug 2012 20:21:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Robert Luberda <robert@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>. (Sun, 05 Aug 2012 20:21:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #62 received at 680626@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Robert Luberda <robert@debian.org>
To: Julien Cristau <julien.cristau@logilab.fr>
Cc: bertagaz <bertagaz@ptitcanardnoir.org>, 680626@bugs.debian.org, dpkg@packages.debian.org, python-support@packages.debian.org, doc-base@packages.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#680626: Squeeze->Wheezy: dist-upgrade fails, /usr/bin/python unable to load libssl.so.1.0.0
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2012 22:16:46 +0200
Julien Cristau wrote:

>>
> As a variation on this theme (triggers being run when the triggered
> package is unconfigured in the middle of an upgrade from squeeze to
> wheezy), I just got the following:
> 
> Processing triggers for doc-base ...
> /usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/perl5/auto/UUID/UUID.so: undefined symbol: Perl_xs_apiversion_bootcheck
> dpkg: error processing doc-base (--unpack):
>  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127

This has been already reported as #673913. But to be honest I have no
idea what to do with this bug. From doc-base point of view it has been
fixed in doc-base 0.10.3, but you are still running 0.9.5.

I believe the doc-base trigger was activated because some package
providing /usr/share/doc-base file was upgraded during the dpkg run,
and the doc-base trigger failed because system was not in consistent
state. I've just learn about `interest-noawait' flag. Would using the
flag in doc-base's triggers file help? Probably not, because still the
flag won't be available in doc-base 0.9.5. So maybe making libuuuid-perl
to conflict with doc-base << 0.10.3 as suggested in  #652638 will be a
better idea? Honestly, I don't know.

Regards,
robert



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#680626; Package upgrade-reports. (Mon, 06 Aug 2012 06:45:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>. (Mon, 06 Aug 2012 06:45:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #67 received at 680626@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>
To: Robert Luberda <robert@debian.org>
Cc: Julien Cristau <julien.cristau@logilab.fr>, bertagaz <bertagaz@ptitcanardnoir.org>, 680626@bugs.debian.org, dpkg@packages.debian.org, python-support@packages.debian.org, doc-base@packages.debian.org, debian-deity@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#680626: Squeeze->Wheezy: dist-upgrade fails, /usr/bin/python unable to load libssl.so.1.0.0
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 08:43:57 +0200
Hello,

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012, Robert Luberda wrote:
> > Processing triggers for doc-base ...
> > /usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/perl5/auto/UUID/UUID.so: undefined symbol: Perl_xs_apiversion_bootcheck
> > dpkg: error processing doc-base (--unpack):
> >  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127
> 
> This has been already reported as #673913. But to be honest I have no
> idea what to do with this bug. From doc-base point of view it has been
> fixed in doc-base 0.10.3, but you are still running 0.9.5.
> 
> I believe the doc-base trigger was activated because some package
> providing /usr/share/doc-base file was upgraded during the dpkg run,
> and the doc-base trigger failed because system was not in consistent
> state. I've just learn about `interest-noawait' flag. Would using the
> flag in doc-base's triggers file help? Probably not, because still the
> flag won't be available in doc-base 0.9.5.

It won't help for this upgrade. But it might help for the next one
between wheezy and jessie. So it might still be a good idea to switch
to interest-noawait for packages like doc-base and man-db which trigger
for many packages.

> So maybe making libuuuid-perl to conflict with doc-base << 0.10.3 as
> suggested in  #652638 will be a better idea? Honestly, I don't know.

That would be a klumsy work-around.

Another thing that we should be considering is changing APT's default
to avoid running the triggers so often. I filed
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=626599 some time ago
but it's not been activated yet :-(

I did a test-upgrade this weekend on my laptop's wife and I enabled
those APT's options:
DPkg::NoTriggers "true";
PackageManager::Configure "smart";
DPkg::ConfigurePending "true";
DPkg::TriggersPending "true";

And the upgrade went fine. I clearly saw the part of the upgrade where
libuuid-perl was unpacked before perl-base but no doc-base trigger was
activated in between IIRC.

Cheers,
-- 
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#680626; Package upgrade-reports. (Tue, 07 Aug 2012 12:48:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to bertagaz@ptitcanardnoir.org:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 07 Aug 2012 12:48:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #72 received at 680626@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: bertagaz@ptitcanardnoir.org
To: Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>, Robert Luberda <robert@debian.org>, Julien Cristau <julien.cristau@logilab.fr>, 680626@bugs.debian.org, dpkg@packages.debian.org, python-support@packages.debian.org, doc-base@packages.debian.org, debian-deity@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#680626: Squeeze->Wheezy: dist-upgrade fails, /usr/bin/python unable to load libssl.so.1.0.0
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 14:37:10 +0200
On Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 08:43:57AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> On Sun, 05 Aug 2012, Robert Luberda wrote:
> > > Processing triggers for doc-base ...
> > > /usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/perl5/auto/UUID/UUID.so: undefined symbol: Perl_xs_apiversion_bootcheck
> > > dpkg: error processing doc-base (--unpack):
> > >  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127
> > 
> > This has been already reported as #673913. But to be honest I have no
> > idea what to do with this bug. From doc-base point of view it has been
> > fixed in doc-base 0.10.3, but you are still running 0.9.5.
> > 
> > I believe the doc-base trigger was activated because some package
> > providing /usr/share/doc-base file was upgraded during the dpkg run,
> > and the doc-base trigger failed because system was not in consistent
> > state. I've just learn about `interest-noawait' flag. Would using the
> > flag in doc-base's triggers file help? Probably not, because still the
> > flag won't be available in doc-base 0.9.5.
> 
> It won't help for this upgrade. But it might help for the next one
> between wheezy and jessie. So it might still be a good idea to switch
> to interest-noawait for packages like doc-base and man-db which trigger
> for many packages.
> 
> > So maybe making libuuuid-perl to conflict with doc-base << 0.10.3 as
> > suggested in  #652638 will be a better idea? Honestly, I don't know.
> 
> That would be a klumsy work-around.
> 
> Another thing that we should be considering is changing APT's default
> to avoid running the triggers so often. I filed
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=626599 some time ago
> but it's not been activated yet :-(
> 
> I did a test-upgrade this weekend on my laptop's wife and I enabled
> those APT's options:
> DPkg::NoTriggers "true";
> PackageManager::Configure "smart";
> DPkg::ConfigurePending "true";
> DPkg::TriggersPending "true";
> 
> And the upgrade went fine. I clearly saw the part of the upgrade where
> libuuid-perl was unpacked before perl-base but no doc-base trigger was
> activated in between IIRC.

I just tested several time following Raphael's advice on APT
configuration, and I'm afraid it doesn't close this #680626 bug I reported. :/

However, when I ldd /usr/bin/python, it seems to be linked against libssl,
so I'm wondering if this bug isn't related to the python package missing a
dependency against libssl. It also seem to be linked against libcrypto,
which is also missing when the dist-upgrade fails.

I can test another time and send more informations if you tell me what
output you might want to see included.

bert.



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#680626; Package upgrade-reports. (Tue, 07 Aug 2012 13:21:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Julien Cristau <julien.cristau@logilab.fr>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 07 Aug 2012 13:21:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #77 received at 680626@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Julien Cristau <julien.cristau@logilab.fr>
To: bertagaz@ptitcanardnoir.org
Cc: Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>, Robert Luberda <robert@debian.org>, 680626@bugs.debian.org, dpkg@packages.debian.org, python-support@packages.debian.org, doc-base@packages.debian.org, deity@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#680626: Squeeze->Wheezy: dist-upgrade fails, /usr/bin/python unable to load libssl.so.1.0.0
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 15:19:16 +0200
On Tue, Aug  7, 2012 at 14:37:10 +0200, bertagaz@ptitcanardnoir.org wrote:

> However, when I ldd /usr/bin/python, it seems to be linked against libssl,
> so I'm wondering if this bug isn't related to the python package missing a
> dependency against libssl. It also seem to be linked against libcrypto,
> which is also missing when the dist-upgrade fails.
> 
python2.7-minimal in wheezy does depend on libssl1.0.0.  However that's
not enough to ensure unpack ordering.

Cheers,
Julien
-- 
Julien Cristau          <julien.cristau@logilab.fr>
Logilab		        http://www.logilab.fr/
Informatique scientifique & gestion de connaissances



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#680626; Package upgrade-reports. (Mon, 18 Mar 2013 14:15:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>. (Mon, 18 Mar 2013 14:15:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #82 received at 680626@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To: 680626@bugs.debian.org
Subject: update report on python wheezy upgrade problems?
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 10:11:00 -0400
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
This bug is blocking release, is it still happening?

This has been opened more than 6 months ago...

A.

-- 
Si Dieu existe, j'espère qu'Il a une excuse valable
                        - Daniel Pennac
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#680626; Package upgrade-reports. (Mon, 18 Mar 2013 14:24:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to "Adam D. Barratt" <adam@adam-barratt.org.uk>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>. (Mon, 18 Mar 2013 14:24:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #87 received at 680626@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: "Adam D. Barratt" <adam@adam-barratt.org.uk>
To: anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>, <680626@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: Re: Bug#680626: update report on python wheezy upgrade problems?
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 14:21:09 +0000
On 18.03.2013 14:11, anarcat wrote:
> This bug is blocking release, is it still happening?
>
> This has been opened more than 6 months ago...

Were you intending to ask the original submitter? If so you need to 
actually CC them (or know they're subscribed, but CCing seems safer).

Regards,

Adam



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#680626; Package upgrade-reports. (Mon, 18 Mar 2013 20:51:12 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>. (Mon, 18 Mar 2013 20:51:12 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #92 received at 680626@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>
To: anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>, 680626@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#680626: update report on python wheezy upgrade problems?
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 21:49:33 +0100
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 10:11:00 -0400, anarcat wrote:

> This bug is blocking release, is it still happening?
> 
> This has been opened more than 6 months ago...
> 
This specific bug with python and libssl doesn't, AIUI, since #680930.
But nothing prevents other incarnation of the same issue (triggers
running without their dependencies unpacked/configured).

Cheers,
Julien
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#680626; Package upgrade-reports. (Wed, 24 Apr 2013 19:00:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to "Adam D. Barratt" <adam@adam-barratt.org.uk>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Testing Group <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>. (Wed, 24 Apr 2013 19:00:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #97 received at 680626@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: "Adam D. Barratt" <adam@adam-barratt.org.uk>
To: Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>, 680626@bugs.debian.org
Cc: anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
Subject: Re: Bug#680626: update report on python wheezy upgrade problems?
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 19:58:19 +0100
user release.debian.org@packages.debian.org
usertags 680626 + wheezy-can-defer
tags 680626 + wheezy-ignore
thanks

On Mon, 2013-03-18 at 21:49 +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 10:11:00 -0400, anarcat wrote:
> 
> > This bug is blocking release, is it still happening?
> > 
> > This has been opened more than 6 months ago...
> > 
> This specific bug with python and libssl doesn't, AIUI, since #680930.
> But nothing prevents other incarnation of the same issue (triggers
> running without their dependencies unpacked/configured).

There doesn't seem to be an easy way to trigger (no pun intended) this
currently, which makes either resolving specific instances or
documenting them difficult. I'm therefore tagging this as not being a
release blocker.

Regards,

Adam




Added tag(s) wheezy-ignore. Request was from "Adam D. Barratt" <adam@adam-barratt.org.uk> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Wed, 24 Apr 2013 19:00:13 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Added blocking bug(s) of 680626: 701047, 671711, and 678848 Request was from Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sun, 28 Apr 2013 12:15:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Sat Apr 19 08:13:33 2014; Machine Name: beach.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.