Debian Bug report logs - #677230
RFP: adhcp -- DHCP implementation in Ada

Package: wnpp; Maintainer for wnpp is wnpp@debian.org;

Reported by: Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger <ken@codelabs.ch>

Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 13:39:02 UTC

Severity: wishlist

Reply or subscribe to this bug.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, debian-devel@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, "Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger" <ken@codelabs.ch>:
Bug#677230; Package wnpp. (Tue, 12 Jun 2012 13:39:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger <ken@codelabs.ch>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to debian-devel@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, "Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger" <ken@codelabs.ch>. (Tue, 12 Jun 2012 13:39:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger <ken@codelabs.ch>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: ITP: adhcp -- DHCP implementation in Ada
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 14:16:37 +0200
Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist
Owner: "Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger" <ken@codelabs.ch>

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

* Package name    : adhcp
  Version         : 0.3
  Upstream Author : codelabs.ch
* URL             : http://www.codelabs.ch/adhcp/
* License         : GPL-2+
  Programming Lang: Ada
  Description     : DHCP implementation in Ada

ADHCP is an implementation of the DHCP protocol in Ada. Currently the project
provides client and relay services for DHCPv4.

The ADHCP DHCPv4 client (adhcp_client) is D-Bus aware and can be used on most
modern Linux distributions as replacement for other clients such as ISC’s
dhclient or busybox’s udhcpc.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.12 (GNU/Linux)
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=jhkj
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, "Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger" <ken@codelabs.ch>:
Bug#677230; Package wnpp. (Tue, 12 Jun 2012 14:15:22 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, "Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger" <ken@codelabs.ch>. (Tue, 12 Jun 2012 14:15:23 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 677230@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com>
To: ken@codelabs.ch
Cc: debian-devel@lists.debian.org, 677230@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#677230: ITP: adhcp -- DHCP implementation in Ada
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 14:45:02 +0100
ken@codelabs.ch wrote:
>Package: wnpp
>Severity: wishlist
>Owner: "Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger" <ken@codelabs.ch>
>
>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>Hash: SHA256
>
>* Package name    : adhcp
>  Version         : 0.3
>  Upstream Author : codelabs.ch
>* URL             : http://www.codelabs.ch/adhcp/
>* License         : GPL-2+
>  Programming Lang: Ada
>  Description     : DHCP implementation in Ada
>
>ADHCP is an implementation of the DHCP protocol in Ada. Currently the project
>provides client and relay services for DHCPv4.
>
>The ADHCP DHCPv4 client (adhcp_client) is D-Bus aware and can be used on most
>modern Linux distributions as replacement for other clients such as ISC’s
>dhclient or busybox’s udhcpc.

One question: why?

-- 
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                steve@einval.com
Google-bait:       http://www.debian.org/CD/free-linux-cd
  Debian does NOT ship free CDs. Please do NOT contact the mailing
  lists asking us to send them to you.




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, "Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger" <ken@codelabs.ch>:
Bug#677230; Package wnpp. (Tue, 12 Jun 2012 14:48:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger <ken@codelabs.ch>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, "Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger" <ken@codelabs.ch>. (Tue, 12 Jun 2012 14:48:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 677230@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger <ken@codelabs.ch>
To: Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com>, 677230@bugs.debian.org
Cc: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#677230: ITP: adhcp -- DHCP implementation in Ada
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 16:33:00 +0200
Hi,

On 06/12/2012 03:45 PM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> ken@codelabs.ch wrote:
>> Package: wnpp
>> Severity: wishlist
>> Owner: "Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger" <ken@codelabs.ch>
>>
>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>> Hash: SHA256
>>
>> * Package name    : adhcp
>>  Version         : 0.3
>>  Upstream Author : codelabs.ch
>> * URL             : http://www.codelabs.ch/adhcp/
>> * License         : GPL-2+
>>  Programming Lang: Ada
>>  Description     : DHCP implementation in Ada
>>
>> ADHCP is an implementation of the DHCP protocol in Ada. Currently the project
>> provides client and relay services for DHCPv4.
>>
>> The ADHCP DHCPv4 client (adhcp_client) is D-Bus aware and can be used on most
>> modern Linux distributions as replacement for other clients such as ISC’s
>> dhclient or busybox’s udhcpc.
> 
> One question: why?

Is the question about why ADHCP in general or why ADHCP in Debian?

If it is the former: the initial motivation for the development of ADHCP
was the need for a simple and robust implementation of the DHCP protocol.

If it is the latter: I believe having a simple and robust DHCP
implementation would be beneficial for the Debian project in general.

Regards,
Adrian




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, "Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger" <ken@codelabs.ch>:
Bug#677230; Package wnpp. (Tue, 12 Jun 2012 15:03:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, "Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger" <ken@codelabs.ch>. (Tue, 12 Jun 2012 15:03:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 677230@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com>
To: Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger <ken@codelabs.ch>
Cc: 677230@bugs.debian.org, debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#677230: ITP: adhcp -- DHCP implementation in Ada
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 15:59:24 +0100
On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 04:33:00PM +0200, Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On 06/12/2012 03:45 PM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> 
>> One question: why?
>
>Is the question about why ADHCP in general or why ADHCP in Debian?
>
>If it is the former: the initial motivation for the development of ADHCP
>was the need for a simple and robust implementation of the DHCP protocol.

Fair enough.

>If it is the latter: I believe having a simple and robust DHCP
>implementation would be beneficial for the Debian project in general.

How does Debian gain by including yet another implementation of a
common low-level system networking tool, written in a rarely-used (in
Debian) language? In fact, a tool that (according to your own upstream
web page at http://www.codelabs.ch/adhcp/) hasn't even been formally
released yet.

Apart from not being written in your language of choice, is there
anything wrong with the existing implementations that would cause a
Debian user to want to switch?

-- 
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                steve@einval.com
Google-bait:       http://www.debian.org/CD/free-linux-cd
  Debian does NOT ship free CDs. Please do NOT contact the mailing
  lists asking us to send them to you.





Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, "Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger" <ken@codelabs.ch>:
Bug#677230; Package wnpp. (Wed, 13 Jun 2012 10:18:46 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger <ken@codelabs.ch>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, "Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger" <ken@codelabs.ch>. (Wed, 13 Jun 2012 10:18:49 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #25 received at 677230@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger <ken@codelabs.ch>
To: Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com>, 677230@bugs.debian.org
Cc: debian-devel@lists.debian.org, debian-ada@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#677230: ITP: adhcp -- DHCP implementation in Ada
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 12:15:33 +0200
Hi Steve,

On 06/12/2012 04:59 PM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 04:33:00PM +0200, Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger wrote:
[snip]
>> If it is the latter: I believe having a simple and robust DHCP
>> implementation would be beneficial for the Debian project in general.
> 
> How does Debian gain by including yet another implementation of a
> common low-level system networking tool, written in a rarely-used (in
> Debian) language? In fact, a tool that (according to your own upstream
> web page at http://www.codelabs.ch/adhcp/) hasn't even been formally
> released yet.

The intention is to coordinate the first official public release with
the Debian package so there are no differences between the upstream
release code and the one packaged in Debian.

I would like to add that Ada support in Debian is excellent thanks to
the efforts of Ludovic Brenta and the growing number of Ada enthusiasts.
There is also an offical Debian mailing list (added to CC), where
Ada-related topics are discussed.

> Apart from not being written in your language of choice, is there
> anything wrong with the existing implementations that would cause a
> Debian user to want to switch?

The decision to write a DHCP implementation from scratch was based on
the fact that the existing projects were not deemed to be robust
enough. The ADHCP implementation is designed to be simple and only
support essential features while still conforming to the related DHCP
RFCs. A small text file documenting the RFC compliance of ADHCP is part
of the project documentation.

Ada is a general purpose programming language, which helps design and
implement safe and reliable code. That's why Ada was the language of
choice for this project.

The software was developed for an IT-Security company and has been in
use for more than a year.

I think that ADHCP is of interest for users which want a minimal DHCP
implementation with a focus on robustness and reliability.

Regards,
Adrian




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, wnpp@debian.org, "Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger" <ken@codelabs.ch>:
Bug#677230; Package wnpp. (Fri, 16 Aug 2013 17:07:45 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to wnpp@debian.org, "Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger" <ken@codelabs.ch>. (Fri, 16 Aug 2013 17:07:45 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #30 received at 677230@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@debian.org>
To: 677230@bugs.debian.org
Cc: control@bugs.debian.org
Subject: adhcp: changing back from ITP to RFP
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 18:58:53 +0200
retitle 677230 RFP: adhcp -- DHCP implementation in Ada
noowner 677230
tag 677230 - pending
thanks

Hi,

A long time ago, you expressed interest in packaging adhcp. Unfortunately,
it seems that it did not happen. In Debian, we try not to keep ITP bugs open
for a too long time, as it might cause other prospective maintainers to
refrain from packaging the software.

This is an automatic email to change the status of adhcp back from ITP
(Intent to Package) to RFP (Request for Package), because this bug hasn't seen
any activity during the last 14 months.

If you are still interested in packaging adhcp, please send a mail to
<control@bugs.debian.org> with:

 retitle 677230 ITP: adhcp -- DHCP implementation in Ada
 owner 677230 !
 thanks

It is also a good idea to document your progress on this ITP from time to
time, by mailing <677230@bugs.debian.org>.  If you need guidance on how to
package this software, please reply to this email, and/or contact the
debian-mentors@lists.debian.org mailing list.

Thank you for your interest in Debian,
-- 
Lucas, for the QA team <debian-qa@lists.debian.org>



Changed Bug title to 'RFP: adhcp -- DHCP implementation in Ada' from 'ITP: adhcp -- DHCP implementation in Ada' Request was from Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Fri, 16 Aug 2013 17:13:11 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Removed annotation that Bug was owned by "Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger" <ken@codelabs.ch>. Request was from Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Fri, 16 Aug 2013 17:13:12 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Thu Apr 17 12:38:40 2014; Machine Name: buxtehude.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.