Debian Bug report logs - #676822
dpkg: needs error message / help for 'Multi-Arch: allowed' packages on un-multiarched systems

version graph

Package: dpkg; Maintainer for dpkg is Dpkg Developers <debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org>; Source for dpkg is src:dpkg.

Reported by: Michael Gilbert <mgilbert@debian.org>

Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 16:42:02 UTC

Severity: important

Found in version dpkg/1.16.4.1

Done: Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Dpkg Developers <debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#676822; Package dpkg. (Sat, 09 Jun 2012 16:42:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Michael Gilbert <mgilbert@debian.org>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to Dpkg Developers <debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org>. (Sat, 09 Jun 2012 16:42:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Michael Gilbert <mgilbert@debian.org>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>, pkg-wine-party@lists.alioth.debian.org
Subject: dpkg: needs error message / help for 'Multi-Arch: allowed' packages on un-multiarched systems
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 12:39:15 -0400
package: dpkg
version: 1.16.4.1
severity: important
user: multiarch-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
usertags: multiarch

Hi,

wine is now making use of the 'Multi-Arch: allowed' feature to provide
i386 dependencies for an amd64 virtual package.  Unfortunately, this
setup is leading to a lot of bug reports from users that don't realize
that they need to manually enable multiarch support first:
http://bugs.debian.org/676457
http://bugs.debian.org/676635

I wonder if most of this confusion could be avoided if dpkg were a bit
more informative in cases where the user was trying to install
'Multi-Arch: allowed' packages, but hadn't yet enabled multiarch?

A useful error message / help would include some of the info on the
apt and dpkg configuration steps in the multiarch user howto:
http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO

Best wishes,
Mike




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Dpkg Developers <debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#676822; Package dpkg. (Wed, 13 Jun 2012 10:33:20 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Dpkg Developers <debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org>. (Wed, 13 Jun 2012 10:33:22 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 676822@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de>
To: Michael Gilbert <mgilbert@debian.org>
Cc: 676822@bugs.debian.org, pkg-wine-party@lists.alioth.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#676822: dpkg: needs error message / help for 'Multi-Arch: allowed' packages on un-multiarched systems
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 12:31:31 +0200
On 2012-06-09 18:39 +0200, Michael Gilbert wrote:

> package: dpkg
> version: 1.16.4.1
> severity: important
> user: multiarch-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
> usertags: multiarch
>
> Hi,
>
> wine is now making use of the 'Multi-Arch: allowed' feature to provide
> i386 dependencies for an amd64 virtual package.  Unfortunately, this
> setup is leading to a lot of bug reports from users that don't realize
> that they need to manually enable multiarch support first:
> http://bugs.debian.org/676457
> http://bugs.debian.org/676635
>
> I wonder if most of this confusion could be avoided if dpkg were a bit
> more informative in cases where the user was trying to install
> 'Multi-Arch: allowed' packages, but hadn't yet enabled multiarch?

My bet is that it almost surely would not, because without multiarch
enabled apt does not consider these packages as installable, so the user
is not going to download them and run dpkg in the first place.

In high-level package managers such messages might make sense, but I
don't think they do in dpkg.

Cheers,
       Sven




Reply sent to Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>:
You have taken responsibility. (Wed, 13 Jun 2012 10:59:42 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to Michael Gilbert <mgilbert@debian.org>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. (Wed, 13 Jun 2012 10:59:48 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 676822-done@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>
To: Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de>, 676822-done@bugs.debian.org
Cc: Michael Gilbert <mgilbert@debian.org>, pkg-wine-party@lists.alioth.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#676822: dpkg: needs error message / help for 'Multi-Arch: allowed' packages on un-multiarched systems
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 12:56:24 +0200
Hi!

On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 12:31:31 +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2012-06-09 18:39 +0200, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> > package: dpkg
> > version: 1.16.4.1
> > severity: important
> > user: multiarch-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
> > usertags: multiarch

> > wine is now making use of the 'Multi-Arch: allowed' feature to provide
> > i386 dependencies for an amd64 virtual package.  Unfortunately, this
> > setup is leading to a lot of bug reports from users that don't realize
> > that they need to manually enable multiarch support first:
> > http://bugs.debian.org/676457
> > http://bugs.debian.org/676635
> >
> > I wonder if most of this confusion could be avoided if dpkg were a bit
> > more informative in cases where the user was trying to install
> > 'Multi-Arch: allowed' packages, but hadn't yet enabled multiarch?
> 
> My bet is that it almost surely would not, because without multiarch
> enabled apt does not consider these packages as installable, so the user
> is not going to download them and run dpkg in the first place.

Right, in addition to what has been said elsewhere about M-A:allowed
being misused here, I don't think it would make sense for dpkg to warn
on unsatisfiable dependencies in this case, as that would trip on lots
of false-positives.

> In high-level package managers such messages might make sense, but I
> don't think they do in dpkg.

Indeed. Closing this now.

thanks,
guillem




Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Thu, 12 Jul 2012 07:35:37 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Sat Apr 19 23:35:56 2014; Machine Name: buxtehude.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.