Debian Bug report logs - #658664
iceowl does not include awesome icy owl icons

version graph

Package: iceowl; Maintainer for iceowl is Alexander Sack <asac@debian.org>;

Reported by: Benjamin Mako Hill <mako@debian.org>

Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 23:57:02 UTC

Severity: wishlist

Tags: help

Found in version iceowl/1.0~b2-7

Fixed in version iceowl/1.9-3

Done: Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org>:
Bug#658664; Package iceowl. (Sat, 04 Feb 2012 23:57:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Benjamin Mako Hill <mako@debian.org>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org>. (Sat, 04 Feb 2012 23:57:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Benjamin Mako Hill <mako@debian.org>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: iceowl does not include awesome icy owl icons
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 18:45:11 -0500
Package: iceowl
Version: 1.0~b2-7
Severity: wishlist

I was extremely disappointed when I installed Iceowl and discovered that
it does not ship with an awesome logo or icons showing a picture of an
"IceOwl." Instead, it seems to be represented by picture of a (boring)
paper calendar which is very generic and not awesome at all.

IceWeasel, IceDove, and IceApe each include extremely awesome
logos/icons that have really cool looking white illustrations of "icy"
weasels, doves, and apes.  IceOwl needs a similarly awesome logo to use
as its icon.

This bug seems particularly egregious because owls actually live in icy
climates and come in white versions! For example:

  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Snowy_Owl_-_Schnee-Eule.jpg

While illustrators need to imagine what an "ice ape" or "ice weasel"
might look like, there is no such need for imagination in the case of
an ice owl!

As far as I'm concerned, this bug should be release critical. Hopefully,
someone will upload a patch quickly!

-- System Information:
Debian Release: wheezy/sid
  APT prefers testing
  APT policy: (990, 'testing'), (500, 'unstable'), (1, 'experimental')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 3.1.0-1-amd64 (SMP w/4 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=C (charmap=UTF-8) (ignored: LC_ALL set to en_US.UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash

Versions of packages iceowl depends on:
ii  calendar-timezones  8.0-2
ii  libasound2          1.0.24.1-4
ii  libatk1.0-0         2.2.0-2
ii  libc6               2.13-24
ii  libcairo2           1.10.2-6.2
ii  libdbus-1-3         1.4.16-1
ii  libdbus-glib-1-2    0.98-1
ii  libfontconfig1      2.8.0-3
ii  libfreetype6        2.4.8-1
ii  libgcc1             1:4.6.2-12
ii  libgconf2-4         2.32.4-1
ii  libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0  2.24.0-2
ii  libglib2.0-0        2.30.2-4
ii  libgnomevfs2-0      1:2.24.4-1
ii  libgtk2.0-0         2.24.8-3
ii  libjpeg8            8c-2
ii  libnotify4          0.7.4-1
ii  libnspr4-0d         4.8.9-1
ii  libnss3-1d          3.13.1.with.ckbi.1.88-1
ii  libpango1.0-0       1.29.4-2
ii  libsqlite3-0        3.7.9-2
ii  libstdc++6          4.6.2-12
ii  libx11-6            2:1.4.4-4
ii  libxrender1         1:0.9.6-2
ii  libxt6              1:1.1.1-2
ii  zlib1g              1:1.2.3.4.dfsg-3

Versions of packages iceowl recommends:
ii  calendar-google-provider  1.0~b2-6

iceowl suggests no packages.

-- no debconf information




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org:
Bug#658664; Package iceowl. (Sat, 13 Apr 2013 18:42:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. (Sat, 13 Apr 2013 18:42:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 658664@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org>
To: Benjamin Mako Hill <mako@debian.org>, 658664@bugs.debian.org
Cc: control@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#658664: iceowl does not include awesome icy owl icons
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 20:40:07 +0200
tags 658664 +help
thanks

On Sat, Feb 04, 2012 at 06:45:11PM -0500, Benjamin Mako Hill wrote:
> Package: iceowl
> Version: 1.0~b2-7
> Severity: wishlist
> 
> I was extremely disappointed when I installed Iceowl and discovered that
> it does not ship with an awesome logo or icons showing a picture of an
> "IceOwl." Instead, it seems to be represented by picture of a (boring)
> paper calendar which is very generic and not awesome at all.
> 
> IceWeasel, IceDove, and IceApe each include extremely awesome
> logos/icons that have really cool looking white illustrations of "icy"
> weasels, doves, and apes.  IceOwl needs a similarly awesome logo to use
> as its icon.
> 
> This bug seems particularly egregious because owls actually live in icy
> climates and come in white versions! For example:
> 
>   https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Snowy_Owl_-_Schnee-Eule.jpg
> 
> While illustrators need to imagine what an "ice ape" or "ice weasel"
> might look like, there is no such need for imagination in the case of
> an ice owl!
> 
> As far as I'm concerned, this bug should be release critical. Hopefully,
> someone will upload a patch quickly!

Indeed. Please somebody with graphical skills help out!
 -- Guido



Added tag(s) help. Request was from Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sat, 13 Apr 2013 18:42:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org>:
Bug#658664; Package iceowl. (Thu, 02 May 2013 00:33:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org>. (Thu, 02 May 2013 00:33:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #17 received at 658664@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie@gmail.com>
To: 658664@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#658664: iceowl does not include awesome icy owl icons
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 01:30:51 +0100
Tags: patch

I noticed Guido's groupware post on the Debian Planet earlier and
thought I'd have a go at putting something together for the Iceowl
icon request. Note: I am not an artist, so this icon is unlikely to
meet the extremely awesome criterion.

My mockup (svg + png bitmap) is here:

https://github.com/knowledgejunkie/iceowl-icon

Wing outlines are taken from a PD image at
http://openclipart.org/detail/146869/cartoon-owl-by-printerkiller.
Other common bits and pieces from the Icedove icon in Wheezy.

Cheers,
Nick



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org:
Bug#658664; Package iceowl. (Thu, 02 May 2013 15:33:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. (Thu, 02 May 2013 15:33:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #22 received at 658664@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org>
To: Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie@gmail.com>, 658664@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#658664: iceowl does not include awesome icy owl icons
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 17:31:03 +0200
Hi Nick,
On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 01:30:51AM +0100, Nick Morrott wrote:
> Tags: patch
> 
> I noticed Guido's groupware post on the Debian Planet earlier and
> thought I'd have a go at putting something together for the Iceowl
> icon request. Note: I am not an artist, so this icon is unlikely to
> meet the extremely awesome criterion.

Awesome! I like it.

> 
> My mockup (svg + png bitmap) is here:
> 
> https://github.com/knowledgejunkie/iceowl-icon
> 
> Wing outlines are taken from a PD image at
> http://openclipart.org/detail/146869/cartoon-owl-by-printerkiller.
> Other common bits and pieces from the Icedove icon in Wheezy.

Great. Any chance you have a look at the other sizes needed? We do have
the following files in the source tree:

debian/iceowl.svg 				(48x48)
debian/iceowl.xpm 				(32x32)
debian/iceow-branding/mozicon128.png		(128x128)
debian/iceow-branding/content/icon48.png	(48x48)
debian/iceow-branding/content/icon64.png	(64x64)
debian/iceow-branding/content/about.png		(300 x 236 with text)

Could you have a look into creating these, this would give us the chance
to reduce the level of detail in the SVG for different sizes but it's
probably o.k. to skip that in a first version.

Thanks for your great work!
 -- Guido



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org>:
Bug#658664; Package iceowl. (Fri, 03 May 2013 01:00:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org>. (Fri, 03 May 2013 01:00:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #27 received at 658664@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie@gmail.com>
To: Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org>
Cc: 658664@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#658664: iceowl does not include awesome icy owl icons
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 01:57:43 +0100
Hi Guido,

On 2 May 2013 16:31, Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org> wrote:
> Hi Nick,
> On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 01:30:51AM +0100, Nick Morrott wrote:
>> Tags: patch
>>
>> I noticed Guido's groupware post on the Debian Planet earlier and
>> thought I'd have a go at putting something together for the Iceowl
>> icon request. Note: I am not an artist, so this icon is unlikely to
>> meet the extremely awesome criterion.
>
> Awesome! I like it.

Thanks so much for your quick feedback

>> My mockup (svg + png bitmap) is here:
>>
>> https://github.com/knowledgejunkie/iceowl-icon
>>
>> Wing outlines are taken from a PD image at
>> http://openclipart.org/detail/146869/cartoon-owl-by-printerkiller.
>> Other common bits and pieces from the Icedove icon in Wheezy.
>
> Great. Any chance you have a look at the other sizes needed? We do have
> the following files in the source tree:
>
> debian/iceowl.svg                               (48x48)
> debian/iceowl.xpm                               (32x32)
> debian/iceow-branding/mozicon128.png            (128x128)
> debian/iceow-branding/content/icon48.png        (48x48)
> debian/iceow-branding/content/icon64.png        (64x64)
> debian/iceow-branding/content/about.png         (300 x 236 with text)
>
> Could you have a look into creating these, this would give us the chance
> to reduce the level of detail in the SVG for different sizes but it's
> probably o.k. to skip that in a first version.

I have updated the repo with icon files in PNG format of sizes 16, 32,
48, 64, 128 and 256 pixels. I have also added a 32x32 XPM as requested
above.

Currently all icons are generated from the same SVG file - I noted
that the icedove branding uses a simpler logo for icon with sizes <=
32x32. The logo SVG is currently at a nominal resolution of 128x128
(the same as that for icedove).

I have also added a separate SVG with an initial about.png graphic,
taking inspiration and typography from the iceweasel and icedove
Debian branding files - please let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Nick



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org:
Bug#658664; Package iceowl. (Sun, 05 May 2013 11:36:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. (Sun, 05 May 2013 11:36:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #32 received at 658664@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org>
To: Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie@gmail.com>, 658664@bugs.debian.org
Cc: control@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#658664: iceowl does not include awesome icy owl icons
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 13:33:56 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
tag 658664 +pending
thanks

Hi Nick,
On Fri, May 03, 2013 at 01:57:43AM +0100, Nick Morrott wrote:
[..snip..] 
> I have updated the repo with icon files in PNG format of sizes 16, 32,
> 48, 64, 128 and 256 pixels. I have also added a 32x32 XPM as requested
> above.
> 
> Currently all icons are generated from the same SVG file - I noted
> that the icedove branding uses a simpler logo for icon with sizes <=
> 32x32. The logo SVG is currently at a nominal resolution of 128x128
> (the same as that for icedove).
> 
> I have also added a separate SVG with an initial about.png graphic,
> taking inspiration and typography from the iceweasel and icedove
> Debian branding files - please let me know what you think.

I've pushed these here and it will be part of the next upload.

	http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-mozilla/iceowl.git;a=commit;h=5112dd2c7bf0fe959e56c3e0e9fc340f94df42a5

A screenshot of then new about dialog is attached.
Thanks a lot!
 -- Guido

[iceowl.png (image/png, attachment)]

Added tag(s) pending. Request was from Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sun, 05 May 2013 11:36:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Reply sent to Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org>:
You have taken responsibility. (Mon, 06 May 2013 18:51:13 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to Benjamin Mako Hill <mako@debian.org>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. (Mon, 06 May 2013 18:51:13 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #39 received at 658664-close@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org>
To: 658664-close@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Bug#658664: fixed in iceowl 1.9-3
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 18:50:24 +0000
Source: iceowl
Source-Version: 1.9-3

We believe that the bug you reported is fixed in the latest version of
iceowl, which is due to be installed in the Debian FTP archive.

A summary of the changes between this version and the previous one is
attached.

Thank you for reporting the bug, which will now be closed.  If you
have further comments please address them to 658664@bugs.debian.org,
and the maintainer will reopen the bug report if appropriate.

Debian distribution maintenance software
pp.
Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org> (supplier of updated iceowl package)

(This message was generated automatically at their request; if you
believe that there is a problem with it please contact the archive
administrators by mailing ftpmaster@debian.org)


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Format: 1.8
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 11:53:12 +0200
Source: iceowl
Binary: iceowl iceowl-dbg
Architecture: source i386
Version: 1.9-3
Distribution: unstable
Urgency: low
Maintainer: Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org>
Changed-By: Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org>
Description: 
 iceowl     - Standalone Calendar Application
 iceowl-dbg - Standalone Calendar Application
Closes: 658664
Changes: 
 iceowl (1.9-3) unstable; urgency=low
 .
   * Wheezy is released! Upload to unstable
   * [f389e63] Pull more porting patches from Icedove
   * [5112dd2] Add new iceowl icons.
     May thanks to Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie@gmail.com> (Closes: #658664)
   * [89781de] Use unapply-patches
Checksums-Sha1: 
 2b2f524edc8ee993d242024236f93a9e1edbf4bf 1837 iceowl_1.9-3.dsc
 de027504a81b3f2f2a82441dcc509e11baabbd95 238839 iceowl_1.9-3.debian.tar.gz
 91ad5afd8e4358781ab28cbcbae777b42f940e4c 14765922 iceowl_1.9-3_i386.deb
 abf2c23c631e44f6025833b98e188fa1574cb5ef 191543132 iceowl-dbg_1.9-3_i386.deb
Checksums-Sha256: 
 9920d444bcf4a8b9a3f4dccffda5cc44e81ecdc213d9f2e3ca6831fbefcacc68 1837 iceowl_1.9-3.dsc
 8d88e23b612f44ce36749fe567594c898184048823e740a2d972b7de186e20a7 238839 iceowl_1.9-3.debian.tar.gz
 2d687d20f5647409d5c63720fbd637df3a1e2b09a82778164680c8c464488ec0 14765922 iceowl_1.9-3_i386.deb
 d47c8b183e04ec85967c22744d7969054f46b37a5037eb9b9c4c750d8c29b493 191543132 iceowl-dbg_1.9-3_i386.deb
Files: 
 b1b5c0281ee0fcb9a904d846a0eaa359 1837 web optional iceowl_1.9-3.dsc
 7ba97c8ad817bc079b44a329dcf29e2a 238839 web optional iceowl_1.9-3.debian.tar.gz
 c668ea0ee8b108ef1ac5fdf1eb39c598 14765922 web optional iceowl_1.9-3_i386.deb
 06fadb08d4d2ea14fade82ada1ea4984 191543132 debug extra iceowl-dbg_1.9-3_i386.deb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.12 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFRh/Qgn88szT8+ZCYRAoAcAJwJG/s6AGXNxl7T+WtcDxAlNcN/OACeNgkz
Tq52HIAWUYcK4aThQvBiQjA=
=dHuc
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----




Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Wed, 05 Jun 2013 07:37:28 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Fri Apr 18 11:34:47 2014; Machine Name: beach.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.