Debian Bug report logs - #657297
www.debian.org: please show more type of events, e.g. talks/sprints/IRC-meetings

Package: www.debian.org; Maintainer for www.debian.org is Debian WWW Team <debian-www@lists.debian.org>;

Reported by: Luca Capello <luca@pca.it>

Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 12:28:10 UTC

Severity: wishlist

Tags: patch, wontfix

Done: Luca Capello <luca@pca.it>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, luca@pca.it, events@debian.org, debian-publicity@lists.debian.org, Debian WWW Team <debian-www@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#657297; Package www.debian.org. (Wed, 25 Jan 2012 12:28:14 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Luca Capello <luca@pca.it>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to luca@pca.it, events@debian.org, debian-publicity@lists.debian.org, Debian WWW Team <debian-www@lists.debian.org>. (Wed, 25 Jan 2012 12:28:42 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Luca Capello <luca@pca.it>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: www.debian.org: please show more type of events, e.g. talks/sprints/IRC-meetings
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 12:39:01 +0100
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Package: www.debian.org
Severity: wishlist
User: events@debian.org
Usertags: events-announce

Hi there!

This bug originated on the debian-www@ mailing list [1][2] and it was
then recently re-discussed on #debian-events, thanks to Paul Wise, so
let us going on and define what we want on the Events page.

[1] <http://lists.debian.org/20111027154810.GA1685@zouish.org>
[2] <http://lists.debian.org/1320116110.27179.21.camel@chianamo>

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:48:22 +0200, Francesca Ciceri wrote:
> Sorry for the delay in replying this: Luca is talking here about the idea
> to have, in www.d.o/events page, not only the list of upcoming event but
> also one for upcoming talk (it happens often that there are interesting
> debian-related talks not included in a major event and we discuss during
> Debconf the possibility of better promoting them).

Actually, as I partly wrote in [3], there are 4 types of events:

1) what is called now 'event', i.e. conferences or BSP, which means that
   Debian is present with a booth or is organizing the event.

2) talks, which while being a subset of the first point, it stresses on
   the fact that Debian is "showing" something.  The fact that we have
   Debian members available for such a task [4] without keeping note of
   their talks is a pity.

3) sprints [5], something specific to Debian, which since their creation
   have seen very useful results.

4) IRC meetings, not only the Debian-specific ones [6] but also the
   others Debian-related [7], i.e. every time there is a Debian
   participant, similarly to the first point.  These should provide
   links in the canonical IRC URI scheme [8].

[3] <http://lists.debian.org/87ty63t6r9.fsf@gismo.pca.it>
[4] <http://www.debian.org/events/speakers/>
[5] <http://wiki.debian.org/Sprints>
[6] <http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20120116.155705.ae5a0f4c.en.html>
[7] <http://lists.debian.org/4F0ECC5E.9000307@ubuntu.com>
[8] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat#URI_scheme>

Francesca's work below is about the second point, but IMHO which should
directly to further and implement all four points.

First question: which should be the layout?  I guess something like the
4-side for the 'Getting Debian' section [8] would be the best, but I
fear that on small screens everything would be too much packed.

[9] <http://www.debian.org/distrib/>

> Here some explanations about how that part of the site works and what
> I've done in the past months about it (hoping that people who already
> knows all this will not too bored).
>
> Relevant files for this kind of change are:
>
> 1) webwml/english/events/index.wml → this is the source for
>    www.d.o/events which contains the list of upcoming (and past) events
>
> 2) webwml/english/events/index.include → here there are Perl subroutines
> (embedded in wml tags) needed to create the (upcoming|past) events lists
> themselves and are called at lines 22 and 43 of the index.wml file
>
> 3) all webwml/english/events/$year/$date-event.wml files, which are
> modeled on the webwml/english/events/event.form one
>
> 4) webwml/english/template/debian/event.wml and
> webwml/english/template/debian/event_common.wml: this two are the
> templates responsible of the design of each event page and - as it could
> be seen on event.form file - are called via #use wml::debian::event line
>
> So, we need first to create the file(s) (and relative templates) for each
> talk (using the same structure as the event ones) and then add
> subroutines (or change the existent ones) in order to generate also list
> for upcoming and past talks.
>
> For the first task, I've simply create templates
> (webwml/english/template/debian/talk.wml and
> webwml/english/template/debian/talk_common.wml) copying them from the
> event's ones; while the file itself for a single talk is based on the
> webwml/english/events/talk.form file, in which is shown the use of the
> define-tag for talk.
>
> This part of the patch is completed and it works. You can test it using
> the file webwml/english/events/2011/0422-slat.wml (attached).
>
> The second part of the patch needs love: my Perl-fu is unexistant, so I
> encountered some problems in make it works.
>
> To list also talks file on index.wml page (or better in the html page)
> I've added two specific subroutines adapting the existing ones and
> modifying the index.wml page.
> The idea here was to distinguish between talk and event file (they lie in
> the same $year directory) via a regexp based on the use of different
> templates. But I can't make it works: I need that the upcoming_events
> thinghie distinguish between upcoming and past event AND upcoming and
> past talks. 
>
> Obviously we could also put talks and events files on different dir
> inside the $year dir: something like $year/events and $year/talks, and
> let Perl to parse only the relevant dir. I prefer the first solutions,
> but... is up to who will work on it! :)

Second question: while I prefer Francesca's solution of having
everything in one single folder, ordered by date (as it is now), what
do other people think about that?

> ps: I attach new files and the diff of the existent ones.

These files are available at [1].

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

-- System Information:
Debian Release: wheezy/sid
  APT prefers unstable
  APT policy: (990, 'unstable'), (1, 'experimental')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 3.1.0-1-amd64 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
[Message part 2 (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Added tag(s) patch. Request was from David Prévot <taffit@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Wed, 25 Jan 2012 14:12:22 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian WWW Team <debian-www@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#657297; Package www.debian.org. (Wed, 28 Nov 2012 16:30:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Luca Capello <luca@pca.it>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian WWW Team <debian-www@lists.debian.org>. (Wed, 28 Nov 2012 16:30:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #12 received at 657297@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Luca Capello <luca@pca.it>
To: debian-sprints@lists.debian.org
Cc: 657297@bugs.debian.org, events@debian.org
Subject: Talks, sprints and IRC meetings on www.d.o/events/ (was: Debian Med Sprints 2013 and brainstorming on 2014)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:27:23 +0100
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Hi there!

Cc:ing #657297, for its readers the discussion started at:

  <http://lists.debian.org/20121128144139.GB27648@upsilon.cc>

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 15:41:39 +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 03:18:07PM +0100, Luca Capello wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 11:54:13 +0100, Steffen Möller wrote:
>> > This page
>> > http://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2013/DebianMedSprint
>> > is in its very infancy.
>> 
>> Should the Debian Events Team (Cc:ed) already announce it on
>> <http://www.debian.org/events/>?
>
> I leave this to the organizers, as I don't know about how sure they are
> of the dates.

Mine was a question for the organizers ;-)

From now on there is nothing specific to the sprint above, but more
about how to notify the Debian Events Team of upcoming sprints and how
to properly show them.

>> BTW, please also consider that space as the "official" announcement,
>> given that it provides more than lists.d.o (e.g. an .ics file).
>
> That's really cool! Then, I wonder, how could we better integrate
> http://wiki.debian.org/Sprints with www.d.o/events ? I think we need the
> former to remain a wiki page, because teams are expected to create a
> draft wiki page before sprint approval, and they'll need to easily keep
> it up to date for attendees, etc. OTOH, extracting, say, the list of
> sprint from wiki.d.o/Sprints is easy, would some scripting help the
> events team in tracking sprint?

Basically, the Events Team is already tracking most of the possible
announcement locations (a lot, including mailing lists, blogs, wikis),
so we should miss very few "events".

However, Francesca Ciceri prepared a wiki template for event submissions
which actually reflects the www.d.o/events format and the simplest
solution would probably be to use the same template for sprints:

  <http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEvents/#Adding_a_new_event>

Please note that we already started to fix #657297, i.e. we announced on
www.d.o/events something which is not really an "event", e.g.:

  <http://www.debian.org/events/2012/0924-guaiba>

Mostly because of my not-taking-the-time-for-this, Francesca's patch in
#657297 about the separation between talk and events has not been
applied yet.  The more I think about it, the more I come to the
conclusion that I am not completely sure about the need for such a
separation (sorry, Francesca).

The easiest solution would be to simply prefix the type of event in the
title, as we are already doing for BSPs:

  general event -> (everything done as now)
  BSP -> Debian BSP at LOCATION
  talk -> Talk: TALK_TITLE
  sprint -> GROUP Sprint at LOCATION
  irc -> GROUP IRC meeting at CHANNEL

GROUP could be "Debian Med", "DebConf Team" or even "W3C", in case it
would not be a Debian-centered "event".

If we go down this road, however, we could probably need a way to
generate extra pages, e.g.:

  <http://www.debian.org/events/talks>
  
Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca
[Message part 2 (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian WWW Team <debian-www@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#657297; Package www.debian.org. (Sun, 07 Jul 2013 03:27:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to David Prévot <david@tilapin.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian WWW Team <debian-www@lists.debian.org>. (Sun, 07 Jul 2013 03:27:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #17 received at 657297@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: David Prévot <david@tilapin.org>
To: 657297@bugs.debian.org
Cc: Luca Capello <luca@pca.it>, events@debian.org, Francesca Ciceri <madamezou@debian.org>
Subject: Re: Bug#657297: www.debian.org: please show more type of events, e.g. talks/sprints/IRC-meetings
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 23:23:56 -0400
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

Hi,

Le 25/01/2012 07:39, Luca Capello a écrit :
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:48:22 +0200, Francesca Ciceri wrote:

>> Sorry for the delay in replying this: Luca is talking here about the idea
>> to have, in www.d.o/events page, not only the list of upcoming event but
>> also one for upcoming talk

Since there doesn’t seem to be any team willing to update the
ww.d.o/events section any more [2], is this issue still relevant?

	2:
http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/webwml/webwml/english/events/index.wml?r1=1.43&r2=1.44

Regards

David

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.12 (GNU/Linux)

iQEcBAEBCAAGBQJR2N9MAAoJEAWMHPlE9r08r8kH/0CgENaFDrmDvWcgVHsoq07D
36y1U7kORBhd518yKCjBJSk2yyIgRgofrg5Zqyyx87R7jeG8mT88Yf+h5AebsKps
1F0C1l9WZUq1TR/GS+RBkKviomU4Y5l4C17+zgcSnwEoS6KDL/8eSKNmwZqIRIXi
VF3CsqSpsFhfTvMJdemR4bpThmBmE3nKaehrbk6WOkOCkJ9InUsifs+85TF600fj
OuxPZcAbnYn2kWtD0VTXKFwJE+X0SyHGEo4wCkwgLTel71sn0DOtZYk9qLV/iqsD
9TkMVi8fxD0iKElgKIbkR6wXXcasAt9G0ObyOCcPy4MNGwYaZiDbLF1V9ts2sAI=
=rrNQ
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----



Added tag(s) wontfix. Request was from Luca Capello <luca@pca.it> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Tue, 09 Jul 2013 15:09:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Reply sent to Luca Capello <luca@pca.it>:
You have taken responsibility. (Tue, 09 Jul 2013 15:09:11 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to Luca Capello <luca@pca.it>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. (Tue, 09 Jul 2013 15:09:11 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #24 received at 657297-done@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Luca Capello <luca@pca.it>
To: David Prévot <david@tilapin.org>
Cc: 657297-done@bugs.debian.org, events@debian.org, Francesca Ciceri <madamezou@debian.org>
Subject: Re: Bug#657297: www.debian.org: please show more type of events, e.g. talks/sprints/IRC-meetings
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 17:06:51 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
tags 657297 + wontfix
thanks

Hi there!

On Sun, 07 Jul 2013 05:23:56 +0200, David Prévot wrote:
> Le 25/01/2012 07:39, Luca Capello a écrit :
>> On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:48:22 +0200, Francesca Ciceri wrote:
>
>>> Sorry for the delay in replying this: Luca is talking here about the idea
>>> to have, in www.d.o/events page, not only the list of upcoming event but
>>> also one for upcoming talk
>
> Since there doesn’t seem to be any team willing to update the
> ww.d.o/events section any more [2], is this issue still relevant?
>
> 	2:
> http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/webwml/webwml/english/events/index.wml?r1=1.43&r2=1.44

Good catch, bug closed, but as a wontfix since the solution has been
implemented in another "package" (wiki.d.o).

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Wed, 07 Aug 2013 07:35:39 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Sat Apr 19 02:25:30 2014; Machine Name: buxtehude.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.