Debian Bug report logs - #656587
transition: libmusicbrainz-2.1

Package: release.debian.org; Maintainer for release.debian.org is Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>;

Reported by: Timo Aaltonen <tjaalton@ubuntu.com>

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 10:21:39 UTC

Severity: normal

Done: Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#656587; Package release.debian.org. (Fri, 20 Jan 2012 10:21:42 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Timo Aaltonen <tjaalton@ubuntu.com>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>. (Fri, 20 Jan 2012 10:21:44 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Timo Aaltonen <tjaalton@ubuntu.com>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: transition: libmusicbrainz-2.1
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 12:19:11 +0200
Package: release.debian.org
Severity: normal
User: release.debian.org@packages.debian.org
Usertags: transition

sent this to debian-devel@ before noticing the proper workflow.

    Hi!

I sort of became the (temporary?) maintainer of libmusicbrainz, so
it's probably reasonable to look at the status of the oldest
musicbrainz library version in the archive, libmusicbrainz-2.1
(maintained by QA), and packages depending on it.

The bottom line is that the package should be removed from the
archive, since it only supports the old RDF interface which got
deprecated in 2006 and shut down in August 2009 [1]. Martin Michlmayr
sent an email about this a while back [2], but there are still some
reverse dependencies left:

* abcde
  - doesn't actually need python-musicbrainz, cddb is the default
  - the dependency on python-musicbrainz should be dropped

* ears
  - http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=628475
    which renders the package useless -> remove?

* cynthiune.app
  - needs a patch to either remove the mb functionality, or ported to
  libmusicbrainz3/4

* libmusicbrainz-ruby1.8
  - can be removed from the archive, nothing uses it

* gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
  - dropping the build-dep would mean losing libgsttrm.so (tested),
  which apparently doesn't work anyway

* gmerlin
  - dropping the build-dep should be enough, or port the app to
  libmusicbrainz3/4

libmusicbrainz4-dev has one rdep, libtunepimp-dev, which also only
supports the old stuff and is deprecated long ago [3]. Rdeps on
libtunepimp are:

* listen
  - has libtunepimp5 as Suggests, should be dropped

* kdemultimedia (juk)
  - just needs to not build-depend libtunepimp-dev (tested)

* kid3
  - should be built with -DWITH_TUNEPIMP=OFF (tested)


[1] http://blog.musicbrainz.org/?p=392
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/05/msg00596.html
[3] http://musicbrainz.org/doc/History:libtunepimp 




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#656587; Package release.debian.org. (Sat, 21 Jan 2012 14:48:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>. (Sat, 21 Jan 2012 14:48:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 656587@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>
To: Timo Aaltonen <tjaalton@ubuntu.com>, 656587@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#656587: transition: libmusicbrainz-2.1
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 15:47:35 +0100
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Hi Timo,

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 12:19:11 +0200, Timo Aaltonen wrote:

> Package: release.debian.org
> Severity: normal
> User: release.debian.org@packages.debian.org
> Usertags: transition
> 
> sent this to debian-devel@ before noticing the proper workflow.
> 
Sending to -devel was a good thing I think :)

>     Hi!
> 
> I sort of became the (temporary?) maintainer of libmusicbrainz, so
> it's probably reasonable to look at the status of the oldest
> musicbrainz library version in the archive, libmusicbrainz-2.1
> (maintained by QA), and packages depending on it.
> 
> The bottom line is that the package should be removed from the
> archive, since it only supports the old RDF interface which got
> deprecated in 2006 and shut down in August 2009 [1]. Martin Michlmayr
> sent an email about this a while back [2], but there are still some
> reverse dependencies left:
> 
> * abcde
>   - doesn't actually need python-musicbrainz, cddb is the default
>   - the dependency on python-musicbrainz should be dropped
> 
> * ears
>   - http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=628475
>     which renders the package useless -> remove?
> 
If that renders the package useless then the bug severity should be
"grave".

> * cynthiune.app
>   - needs a patch to either remove the mb functionality, or ported to
>   libmusicbrainz3/4
> 
> * libmusicbrainz-ruby1.8
>   - can be removed from the archive, nothing uses it
> 
> * gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
>   - dropping the build-dep would mean losing libgsttrm.so (tested),
>   which apparently doesn't work anyway
> 
> * gmerlin
>   - dropping the build-dep should be enough, or port the app to
>   libmusicbrainz3/4
> 
> libmusicbrainz4-dev has one rdep, libtunepimp-dev, which also only
> supports the old stuff and is deprecated long ago [3]. Rdeps on
> libtunepimp are:
> 
> * listen
>   - has libtunepimp5 as Suggests, should be dropped
> 
> * kdemultimedia (juk)
>   - just needs to not build-depend libtunepimp-dev (tested)
> 
> * kid3
>   - should be built with -DWITH_TUNEPIMP=OFF (tested)
> 
Please make sure there are bugs filed against all of those (with at
least "important" severity), either with a usertag so they can be
tracked together, or marked as blocking this bug (#656587).

Cheers,
Julien
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Added blocking bug(s) of 656587: 628475 Request was from Timo Aaltonen <tjaalton@ubuntu.com> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Tue, 24 Jan 2012 08:42:18 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Added blocking bug(s) of 656587: 657013, 657003, 656604, 657018, 657016, 657012, 657011, and 657004 Request was from Timo Aaltonen <tjaalton@ubuntu.com> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Tue, 24 Jan 2012 08:48:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#656587; Package release.debian.org. (Tue, 24 Jan 2012 09:12:35 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Timo Aaltonen <tjaalton@ubuntu.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 24 Jan 2012 09:12:42 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #19 received at 656587@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Timo Aaltonen <tjaalton@ubuntu.com>
To: Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>, 656587@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#656587: transition: libmusicbrainz-2.1
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 10:55:07 +0200
21.01.2012 16:47, Julien Cristau kirjoitti:
> Hi Timo,

Hey Julien!

>> * ears
>>    - http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=628475
>>      which renders the package useless ->  remove?
>>
> If that renders the package useless then the bug severity should be
> "grave".

Yep, done.

> Please make sure there are bugs filed against all of those (with at
> least "important" severity), either with a usertag so they can be
> tracked together, or marked as blocking this bug (#656587).

Done that too, added totem to the list (fixed in experimental, but don't 
know if that'll hit unstable anytime soon so asked to be fixed for sid).

listen and gmerlin are already fixed, thanks to Alessio Treglia :)
Maintainer of libmusicbrainz-ruby agreed on IRC that the package should 
be removed.

-- 
t




Added tag(s) pending. Request was from Pino Toscano <pino@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Mon, 20 Feb 2012 14:54:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Added blocking bug(s) of 656587: 666531 Request was from Pino Toscano <pino@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Tue, 29 May 2012 21:18:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Reply sent to Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>:
You have taken responsibility. (Thu, 21 Jun 2012 07:03:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to Timo Aaltonen <tjaalton@ubuntu.com>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. (Thu, 21 Jun 2012 07:03:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #28 received at 656587-done@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>
To: Timo Aaltonen <tjaalton@ubuntu.com>, 656587-done@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#656587: transition: libmusicbrainz-2.1
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 08:59:48 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 12:19:11 +0200, Timo Aaltonen wrote:

> I sort of became the (temporary?) maintainer of libmusicbrainz, so
> it's probably reasonable to look at the status of the oldest
> musicbrainz library version in the archive, libmusicbrainz-2.1
> (maintained by QA), and packages depending on it.
> 
libmusicbrainz-2.1 is gone from testing and unstable, closing.

Cheers,
Julien
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Thu, 19 Jul 2012 07:35:18 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Mon Apr 21 09:51:35 2014; Machine Name: buxtehude.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.