Debian Bug report logs - #646897
undistributable files in qcad

Package: snapshot.debian.org; Maintainer for snapshot.debian.org is snapshot.debian.org Team <debian-snapshot@lists.debian.org>;

Reported by: Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org>

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:09:02 UTC

Severity: normal

Done: Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, snapshot.debian.org Team <debian-snapshot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#646897; Package snapshot.debian.org. (Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:09:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to snapshot.debian.org Team <debian-snapshot@lists.debian.org>. (Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:09:20 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org>
To: submit@bugs.debian.org
Subject: undistributable files in qcad
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 11:05:16 +0200
Package: snapshot.debian.org

Apparently we have undistributable data in all qcad packages.
-- 
                           |  .''`.       ** Debian **
      Peter Palfrader      | : :' :      The  universal
 http://www.palfrader.org/ | `. `'      Operating System
                           |   `-    http://www.debian.org/




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, snapshot.debian.org Team <debian-snapshot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#646897; Package snapshot.debian.org. (Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:12:32 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #8 received at 646897@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <lisandro@debian.org>
To: debian-snapshot@lists.debian.org
Cc: Scott Howard <showard@debian.org>
Subject: RM: qcad, qcad-data, qcad-doc and partlibrary -- ROM contains non-free stuff
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 21:52:55 -0300
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Me again. It turns out that QCad (qcad, qcad-data, qcad-doc), precursor of 
Librecad, contains non-free stuff too. This is valid for all versions that 
have been in Debian. I'll forward the appropiate bug numbers asap.

We also have partlibrary in the same situation, see [0] for more info.

[0] <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=375252>


Kinds regards, Lisandro.

-- 
<des> lo que conseguís != lo que buscás
<des> por regla general
<des> lo importante es que:
(lo que buscas - lo que conseguís)/lo que buscas ~= 1

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, snapshot.debian.org Team <debian-snapshot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#646897; Package snapshot.debian.org. (Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:27:17 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to snapshot.debian.org Team <debian-snapshot@lists.debian.org>. (Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:27:20 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #13 received at 646897@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org>
To: Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <lisandro@debian.org>
Cc: Scott Howard <showard@debian.org>, 646897@bugs.debian.org, 646898@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: RM: qcad, qcad-data, qcad-doc and partlibrary -- ROM contains non-free stuff
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 11:21:38 +0200
On Tue, 11 Oct 2011, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:

> Me again. It turns out that QCad (qcad, qcad-data, qcad-doc), precursor of 
> Librecad, contains non-free stuff too. This is valid for all versions that 
> have been in Debian. I'll forward the appropiate bug numbers asap.

I guess, from what I have read elsewhere, that not only are these things
non-free, but we have no licenses whatsoever to re-distribute these
files.  Is that correct?

(merely being non-free shouldn't cause files to be removed from snapshot
if we can still distribute them).

Cheers,

PS: I have filed bugs for these issues - 646897 for the qcad removal and
646898 for partlibrary.
-- 
                           |  .''`.       ** Debian **
      Peter Palfrader      | : :' :      The  universal
 http://www.palfrader.org/ | `. `'      Operating System
                           |   `-    http://www.debian.org/




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, snapshot.debian.org Team <debian-snapshot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#646897; Package snapshot.debian.org. (Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:32:24 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Scott Howard <showard@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to snapshot.debian.org Team <debian-snapshot@lists.debian.org>. (Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:32:43 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #18 received at 646897@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Scott Howard <showard@debian.org>
To: Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org>
Cc: Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez <lisandro@debian.org>, 646897@bugs.debian.org, 646898@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: RM: qcad, qcad-data, qcad-doc and partlibrary -- ROM contains non-free stuff
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 07:33:18 -0400
2011/10/28 Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org>:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
>
>> Me again. It turns out that QCad (qcad, qcad-data, qcad-doc), precursor of
>> Librecad, contains non-free stuff too. This is valid for all versions that
>> have been in Debian. I'll forward the appropiate bug numbers asap.
>
> I guess, from what I have read elsewhere, that not only are these things
> non-free, but we have no licenses whatsoever to re-distribute these
> files.  Is that correct?
>
> (merely being non-free shouldn't cause files to be removed from snapshot
> if we can still distribute them).

That is correct. When lisandro and I became involved in the LibreCAD
fork of QCAD, I adopted QCAD to keep it alive until LibreCAD could
supersede it.

The problem is that upstream's website said GPLv2 all over the
downloads section and included the text of GPL in the downloaded
package. The original packagers must have assumed that everything they
downloaded from them was GPLv2 (even partlibrary, which doesn't come
with a license header at all). Recently the upstream author clarified
that he himself does not have any license to partlibrary and that he
didn't 't want the fonts and help licensed at all (all rights
reserved). He has since rewritten the distribution/download section of
his site to reflect that.




Reply sent to Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org>:
You have taken responsibility. (Fri, 28 Oct 2011 13:51:54 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. (Fri, 28 Oct 2011 13:51:57 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #23 received at 646897-done@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org>
To: Scott Howard <showard@debian.org>
Cc: Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez <lisandro@debian.org>, 646898-done@bugs.debian.org, 646897-done@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#646897: RM: qcad, qcad-data, qcad-doc and partlibrary -- ROM contains non-free stuff
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 15:47:15 +0200
On Fri, 28 Oct 2011, Scott Howard wrote:

> > I guess, from what I have read elsewhere, that not only are these things
> > non-free, but we have no licenses whatsoever to re-distribute these
> > files.  Is that correct?
> 
> That is correct. When lisandro and I became involved in the LibreCAD
> fork of QCAD, I adopted QCAD to keep it alive until LibreCAD could
> supersede it.
> 
> The problem is that upstream's website said GPLv2 all over the
> downloads section and included the text of GPL in the downloaded
> package. The original packagers must have assumed that everything they
> downloaded from them was GPLv2 (even partlibrary, which doesn't come
> with a license header at all). Recently the upstream author clarified
> that he himself does not have any license to partlibrary and that he
> didn't 't want the fonts and help licensed at all (all rights
> reserved). He has since rewritten the distribution/download section of
> his site to reflect that.

Thanks for the clarificaton.  Files have been removed:

http://snapshot.debian.org/removal/27
http://snapshot.debian.org/removal/28

Cheers,
-- 
                           |  .''`.       ** Debian **
      Peter Palfrader      | : :' :      The  universal
 http://www.palfrader.org/ | `. `'      Operating System
                           |   `-    http://www.debian.org/




Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Sat, 26 Nov 2011 07:39:18 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Fri Apr 18 08:26:05 2014; Machine Name: buxtehude.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.