Debian Bug report logs - #633595
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics: Touchpad recognized like PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse

version graph

Package: linux-2.6; Maintainer for linux-2.6 is Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>;

Reported by: eloi.coutant@anbuco.fr

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 22:36:02 UTC

Severity: important

Merged with 652678

Found in versions 3.1.1-1, linux-2.6/3.0.0-2

Fixed in version 3.2~rc7-1~experimental.1

Done: Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian X Strike Force <debian-x@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#633595; Package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics. (Mon, 11 Jul 2011 22:36:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to eloi.coutant@anbuco.fr:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to Debian X Strike Force <debian-x@lists.debian.org>. (Mon, 11 Jul 2011 22:36:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Eloi COUTANT <eloi.coutant@anbuco.fr>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics: Touchpad recognized like PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 00:25:43 +0200
Package: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
Version: 1.4.1-1
Severity: important

Hi everyone,
I have a problem with my Samsung RC510 laptop: the touchpad is
recognized like a PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse, while it is actually an
Elantech touchpad.

I have seen the same problem here:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27442 and the problem might
be because of the kernel (I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong place...).

I'm currently on the 3.0-rc5 kernel, but the problem is exactly the same
with 2.6.39 or 3.0-rc6. 

It is very borring because the touchpad works like a "stupid" mouse,
while I would configure it with gpointing-device-settings... I'll try to
configure better the touchpad with X.org but the device is anyway
misrecognized.

I join some informations more. If you want more outputs or informations, 
I'll be glade to help.

By advance, thanks a lot and I'm sorry for my terrible english...

Best regards,
Eloi COUTANT

######## cat /proc/bus/input/devices ########
I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0001 Version=0063
N: Name="PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse"
1111P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input6
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=mouse0 event6 
B: PROP=0
B: EV=7
B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0
B: REL=103

######## /var/log/Xorg.0.log ##########
[  1589.280] (II) config/udev: Adding input device PS/2 Logitech Wheel
Mouse (/dev/input/event6)
[  1589.280] (**) PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse: Applying InputClass "evdev
pointer catchall"
[  1589.280] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'PS/2 Logitech Wheel
Mouse'
[  1589.280] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
[  1589.280] (**) PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse: always reports core events
[  1589.280] (**) PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse: Device: "/dev/input/event6"
[  1589.280] (--) PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse: Found 3 mouse buttons
[  1589.280] (--) PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse: Found scroll wheel(s)
[  1589.280] (--) PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse: Found relative axes
[  1589.280] (--) PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse: Found x and y relative axes
[  1589.281] (II) PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse: Configuring as mouse
[  1589.281] (II) PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse: Adding scrollwheel support
[  1589.281] (**) PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and
5
[  1589.281] (**) PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse: EmulateWheelButton: 4,
EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
[  1589.281] (**) Option "config_info"
"udev:/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input6/event6"
[  1589.281] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "PS/2 Logitech
Wheel Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
[  1589.281] (II) PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse: initialized for relative
axes.
[  1589.281] (**) PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse: (accel) keeping
acceleration scheme 1
[  1589.281] (**) PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse: (accel) acceleration
profile 0
[  1589.281] (**) PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse: (accel) acceleration
factor: 2.000
[  1589.281] (**) PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse: (accel) acceleration
threshold: 4
[  1589.281] (II) config/udev: Adding input device PS/2 Logitech Wheel
Mouse (/dev/input/mouse0)
[  1589.281] (II) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)


-- System Information:
Debian Release: wheezy/sid
  APT prefers stable-updates
  APT policy: (500, 'stable-updates'), (500, 'lucid'), (500, 'unstable'),
(500, 'stable'), (1, 'experimental')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 3.0.0-rc5-amd64 (SMP w/4 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=fr_FR.utf8, LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.utf8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash

Versions of packages xserver-xorg-input-synaptics depends on:
ii  libc6                     2.13-10        Embedded GNU C Library:
Shared lib
ii  libx11-6                  2:1.4.3-2      X11 client-side library
ii  libxi6                    2:1.4.3-3      X11 Input extension library
ii  libxtst6                  2:1.2.0-1      X11 Testing -- Record
extension li
ii  xserver-xorg-core [xorg-i 2:1.10.2.902-1 Xorg X server - core server

xserver-xorg-input-synaptics recommends no packages.

Versions of packages xserver-xorg-input-synaptics suggests:
ii  gpointing-device-settings     1.5.1-5    configuration tool for
pointing de
pn  touchfreeze                   <none>     (no description available)

-- no debconf information





Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian X Strike Force <debian-x@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#633595; Package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics. (Mon, 11 Jul 2011 22:45:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian X Strike Force <debian-x@lists.debian.org>. (Mon, 11 Jul 2011 22:45:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 633595@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org>
To: eloi.coutant@anbuco.fr, 633595@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#633595: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics: Touchpad recognized like PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 00:42:34 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Hi,

Eloi COUTANT <eloi.coutant@anbuco.fr> (12/07/2011):
> Package: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
> Version: 1.4.1-1
> Severity: important

[…]

> I join some informations more. If you want more outputs or informations, 
> I'll be glade to help.

please run the bug script and attach its output:
  http://x.debian.net/howto/report-bugs.html

> By advance, thanks a lot and I'm sorry for my terrible english...

T'inquiète, on a vu bien pire ici.

Mraw,
KiBi.
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian X Strike Force <debian-x@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#633595; Package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics. (Mon, 11 Jul 2011 23:06:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to eloi.coutant@anbuco.fr:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian X Strike Force <debian-x@lists.debian.org>. (Mon, 11 Jul 2011 23:06:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 633595@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Eloi COUTANT <eloi.coutant@anbuco.fr>
To: <633595@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: Xorg reportbug
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 00:56:22 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Hi,
I've joined the output of "reportbug xorg".

The output of /etc/X11/xorg.conf is not the good, I'm trying to change it
and I have generated the file with nvidia-xconfig... 
The bug is exactly the same without xorg.conf :)

Bests,
Eloi
[reportbug_output.txt (text/plain, attachment)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian X Strike Force <debian-x@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#633595; Package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics. (Sat, 13 Aug 2011 02:18:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Eloi COUTANT <eloi@anbuco.fr>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian X Strike Force <debian-x@lists.debian.org>. (Sat, 13 Aug 2011 02:18:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 633595@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Eloi COUTANT <eloi@anbuco.fr>
To: <633595@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: Bug still actual
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 04:04:42 +0200
Hi,

The bug is still here with the kernel update 3.0.0-1-amd64. Any idea
to solve this issue ?

Thanks by advance,
Eloi




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian X Strike Force <debian-x@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#633595; Package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics. (Sun, 21 Aug 2011 13:51:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Julien Valroff <julien@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian X Strike Force <debian-x@lists.debian.org>. (Sun, 21 Aug 2011 13:51:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #25 received at 633595@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Julien Valroff <julien@debian.org>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <633595@bugs.debian.org>
Cc: eloi.coutant@anbuco.fr, Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org>
Subject: Re: Touchpad recognized like PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 15:47:31 +0200
Package: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
Version: 1.4.1-1
Followup-For: Bug #633595


Eloi COUTANT <eloi@anbuco.fr> a écrit :
> The bug is still here with the kernel update 3.0.0-1-amd64. Any idea
> to solve this issue ?

A patch was recently added to LaunchPad bug #6981904 [0].
I am using a patched psmouse module and it works great on my Asus X93S.

I have created a DKMS tree based on the latest patch.

# cd /usr/src/
# wget http://people.debian.org/~julien/lp681904/psmouse-elantech-lp681904-1.tar.bz2
# tar jxvf psmouse-elantech-lp681904-1.tar.bz2
# dkms add -m psmouse -v elantech-lp681904-1
# dkms build -m psmouse -v elantech-lp681904-1
# dkms install -m psmouse -v elantech-lp681904-1

I think this bug should be reassigned to src:linux2.6, but leave it up to
the X Strike Force people to decide.

cheers,
Julien

[0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/681904 

-- 
  .''`.   Julien Valroff ~ <julien@kirya.net> ~ <julien@debian.org>    
 : :'  :  Debian Developer & Free software contributor
 `. `'`   http://www.kirya.net/
   `-     4096R/ E1D8 5796 8214 4687 E416  948C 859F EF67 258E 26B1




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian X Strike Force <debian-x@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#633595; Package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics. (Sun, 21 Aug 2011 14:03:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian X Strike Force <debian-x@lists.debian.org>. (Sun, 21 Aug 2011 14:03:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #30 received at 633595@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org>
To: Julien Valroff <julien@debian.org>
Cc: 633595@bugs.debian.org, eloi.coutant@anbuco.fr
Subject: Re: Touchpad recognized like PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 16:02:43 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Julien Valroff <julien@debian.org> (21/08/2011):
> I think this bug should be reassigned to src:linux2.6, but leave it up to
> the X Strike Force people to decide.

It looks like it, feel free to do the reassign/found dance, TIA.

> [0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/681904 

Nice package to report that bug against, BTW. :)
 
Mraw,
KiBi.
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian X Strike Force <debian-x@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#633595; Package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics. (Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:18:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to eloi.coutant@anbuco.fr:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian X Strike Force <debian-x@lists.debian.org>. (Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:18:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #35 received at 633595@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Eloi COUTANT <eloi.coutant@anbuco.fr>
To: <633595@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: Test
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:07:33 +0200
Thanks a lot, I'll test this patch when I'll come back in France.
I'll give you some news in about a week.

Bests,
Eloi




Bug reassigned from package 'xserver-xorg-input-synaptics' to 'linux-2.6'. Request was from Julien Valroff <julien@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Fri, 26 Aug 2011 13:06:26 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Bug No longer marked as found in versions xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/1.4.1-1. Request was from Julien Valroff <julien@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Fri, 26 Aug 2011 13:06:27 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Bug Marked as found in versions linux-2.6/3.0.0-2. Request was from Julien Valroff <julien@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Fri, 26 Aug 2011 13:06:28 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#633595; Package linux-2.6. (Sun, 28 Aug 2011 22:36:11 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Eloi COUTANT <eloi@anbuco.fr>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. (Sun, 28 Aug 2011 22:36:11 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #46 received at 633595@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Eloi COUTANT <eloi@anbuco.fr>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <633595@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: OK !
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 00:35:14 +0200
Hi.

I confirm that Julien's patch is efficient on Samsung RC510.
I have no problems anymore : one, two and three fingers are working,
"wheels" too !

In gpointing-device-settings, I see now my touchpad like a touchpad,
BUT changes have no effect... it's borring, but modifications in
xorg.conf work. :)

I have just to find how I can disable the touchpad when the keyboard is
used, and I'll happy.

Thanks a lot to everyone :)




Set Bug forwarded-to-address to 'https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27442'. Request was from Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sun, 28 Aug 2011 23:30:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#633595; Package linux-2.6. (Mon, 29 Aug 2011 13:23:33 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. (Mon, 29 Aug 2011 13:23:42 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #53 received at 633595@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
To: Julien Valroff <julien@debian.org>
Cc: 633595@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#633595: OK !
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 13:07:44 +0100
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 00:35 +0200, Eloi COUTANT wrote:
> Hi.
> 
> I confirm that Julien's patch is efficient on Samsung RC510.
> I have no problems anymore : one, two and three fingers are working,
> "wheels" too !
[...]

Julien, please can you provide a list of *upstream* changes.  We will
not apply a large patch with no such references.

Ben.

[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#633595; Package linux-2.6. (Mon, 29 Aug 2011 14:09:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Julien Valroff <julien@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. (Mon, 29 Aug 2011 14:09:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #58 received at 633595@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Julien Valroff <julien@debian.org>
To: Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
Cc: 633595@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#633595: OK !
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 16:06:01 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Hi Ben,

Le lundi 29 août 2011 à 14:07:44 (+0200 CEST), Ben Hutchings a écrit :
> On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 00:35 +0200, Eloi COUTANT wrote:
> > Hi.
> > 
> > I confirm that Julien's patch is efficient on Samsung RC510.
> > I have no problems anymore : one, two and three fingers are working,
> > "wheels" too !
> [...]
> 
> Julien, please can you provide a list of *upstream* changes.  We will
> not apply a large patch with no such references.

I have not written that patch at all, just made available the "original"
DKMS tree so that people can test it easily.

The patch was written by Seth Forshee <seth.forshee@canonical.com> and is
available on LaunchPad bug #681904 [0].

All the patches, Ubuntu builts and dkms .deb are available at:
http://people.canonical.com/~sforshee/lp681904/

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Julien

[0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/681904

-- 
  .''`.   Julien Valroff ~ <julien@kirya.net> ~ <julien@debian.org>    
 : :'  :  Debian Developer & Free software contributor
 `. `'`   http://www.kirya.net/
   `-     4096R/ E1D8 5796 8214 4687 E416  948C 859F EF67 258E 26B1
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#633595; Package linux-2.6. (Mon, 29 Aug 2011 15:27:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. (Mon, 29 Aug 2011 15:27:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #63 received at 633595@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
To: Julien Valroff <julien@debian.org>, Seth Forshee <seth.forshee@canonical.com>
Cc: 633595@bugs.debian.org
Subject: elantech mouse v3 support
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 16:22:36 +0100
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 16:06 +0200, Julien Valroff wrote:
> Hi Ben,
> 
> Le lundi 29 août 2011 à 14:07:44 (+0200 CEST), Ben Hutchings a écrit :
> > On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 00:35 +0200, Eloi COUTANT wrote:
> > > Hi.
> > > 
> > > I confirm that Julien's patch is efficient on Samsung RC510.
> > > I have no problems anymore : one, two and three fingers are working,
> > > "wheels" too !
> > [...]
> > 
> > Julien, please can you provide a list of *upstream* changes.  We will
> > not apply a large patch with no such references.
> 
> I have not written that patch at all, just made available the "original"
> DKMS tree so that people can test it easily.
> 
> The patch was written by Seth Forshee <seth.forshee@canonical.com> and is
> available on LaunchPad bug #681904 [0].
> 
> All the patches, Ubuntu builts and dkms .deb are available at:
> http://people.canonical.com/~sforshee/lp681904/

OK, so I see this patch:
http://people.canonical.com/~sforshee/lp681904/linux-3.0.0-8.10~lp681904v201108052055/0001-Input-elantech-Add-v3-hardware-support.patch
which looks like something that could go upstream.  But it hasn't, or at
least it's not visible in linux-next.

Ben.

[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#633595; Package linux-2.6. (Mon, 29 Aug 2011 16:18:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Seth Forshee <seth.forshee@canonical.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. (Mon, 29 Aug 2011 16:18:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #68 received at 633595@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Seth Forshee <seth.forshee@canonical.com>
To: Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
Cc: Julien Valroff <julien@debian.org>, 633595@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: elantech mouse v3 support
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 10:56:42 -0500
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 04:22:36PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 16:06 +0200, Julien Valroff wrote:
> > Hi Ben,
> > 
> > Le lundi 29 août 2011 à 14:07:44 (+0200 CEST), Ben Hutchings a écrit :
> > > On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 00:35 +0200, Eloi COUTANT wrote:
> > > > Hi.
> > > > 
> > > > I confirm that Julien's patch is efficient on Samsung RC510.
> > > > I have no problems anymore : one, two and three fingers are working,
> > > > "wheels" too !
> > > [...]
> > > 
> > > Julien, please can you provide a list of *upstream* changes.  We will
> > > not apply a large patch with no such references.
> > 
> > I have not written that patch at all, just made available the "original"
> > DKMS tree so that people can test it easily.
> > 
> > The patch was written by Seth Forshee <seth.forshee@canonical.com> and is
> > available on LaunchPad bug #681904 [0].
> > 
> > All the patches, Ubuntu builts and dkms .deb are available at:
> > http://people.canonical.com/~sforshee/lp681904/
> 
> OK, so I see this patch:
> http://people.canonical.com/~sforshee/lp681904/linux-3.0.0-8.10~lp681904v201108052055/0001-Input-elantech-Add-v3-hardware-support.patch
> which looks like something that could go upstream.  But it hasn't, or at
> least it's not visible in linux-next.

That patch will not be going upstream. Elantech has submitted more
comprehensive updates to the driver that were developed in parallel (see
https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/8/29/63 for the most recent revision).

We are carrying an updated version of the above patch temporarily until
Elantech's solution makes it upstream. In practice that probably means
we'll use my patch for Ubuntu 11.10 and switch to Elantech's solution in
12.04. The advantage to the patch we're carrying now versus Elantech's
is that it doesn't functionally modify the v1 or v2 touchpad support,
and thus shouldn't carry any risk of regression for those devices.  I've
attached a copy of the updated patch.

Cheers,
Seth
[0001-UBUNTU-SAUCE-no-up-Input-elantech-Add-v3-hardware-su.patch (text/x-diff, attachment)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#633595; Package linux-2.6. (Tue, 06 Sep 2011 04:45:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 06 Sep 2011 04:45:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #73 received at 633595@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
To: Seth Forshee <seth.forshee@canonical.com>
Cc: Julien Valroff <julien@debian.org>, 633595@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: elantech mouse v3 support
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 05:43:25 +0100
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 10:56 -0500, Seth Forshee wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 04:22:36PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 16:06 +0200, Julien Valroff wrote:
> > > Hi Ben,
> > > 
> > > Le lundi 29 août 2011 à 14:07:44 (+0200 CEST), Ben Hutchings a écrit :
> > > > On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 00:35 +0200, Eloi COUTANT wrote:
> > > > > Hi.
> > > > > 
> > > > > I confirm that Julien's patch is efficient on Samsung RC510.
> > > > > I have no problems anymore : one, two and three fingers are working,
> > > > > "wheels" too !
> > > > [...]
> > > > 
> > > > Julien, please can you provide a list of *upstream* changes.  We will
> > > > not apply a large patch with no such references.
> > > 
> > > I have not written that patch at all, just made available the "original"
> > > DKMS tree so that people can test it easily.
> > > 
> > > The patch was written by Seth Forshee <seth.forshee@canonical.com> and is
> > > available on LaunchPad bug #681904 [0].
> > > 
> > > All the patches, Ubuntu builts and dkms .deb are available at:
> > > http://people.canonical.com/~sforshee/lp681904/
> > 
> > OK, so I see this patch:
> > http://people.canonical.com/~sforshee/lp681904/linux-3.0.0-8.10~lp681904v201108052055/0001-Input-elantech-Add-v3-hardware-support.patch
> > which looks like something that could go upstream.  But it hasn't, or at
> > least it's not visible in linux-next.
> 
> That patch will not be going upstream. Elantech has submitted more
> comprehensive updates to the driver that were developed in parallel (see
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/8/29/63 for the most recent revision).
> 
> We are carrying an updated version of the above patch temporarily until
> Elantech's solution makes it upstream. In practice that probably means
> we'll use my patch for Ubuntu 11.10 and switch to Elantech's solution in
> 12.04. The advantage to the patch we're carrying now versus Elantech's
> is that it doesn't functionally modify the v1 or v2 touchpad support,
> and thus shouldn't carry any risk of regression for those devices.  I've
> attached a copy of the updated patch.

Thanks, but I think we'll wait for the official version.

Ben.

[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#633595; Package linux-2.6. (Sun, 09 Oct 2011 19:03:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Will Dyson <will.dyson@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. (Sun, 09 Oct 2011 19:03:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #78 received at 633595@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Will Dyson <will.dyson@gmail.com>
To: 633595@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Upstream fix in linux-next now
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 15:01:25 -0400
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
FYI: the upstream fix for this issue has been pulled into the linux-next
tree. Not sure if this is upstream enough for the kernel team to backport to
3.0 or 3.1 yet, but I was able to cherry-pick the series into 3.0 with no
conflicts.

https://github.com/sfrothwell/linux-next/commits/master/drivers/input/mouse/elantech.c

-- 
Will Dyson
[Message part 2 (text/html, inline)]

Forcibly Merged 633595 652678. Request was from Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Fri, 06 Jan 2012 21:42:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Sun, 08 Jul 2012 08:00:20 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Sat Apr 19 12:55:26 2014; Machine Name: beach.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.