Debian Bug report logs - #628522
perl: ExtUtils::MakeMaker overriding CCFLAGS when passed to WriteMakefile

version graph

Package: perl-modules; Maintainer for perl-modules is Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>; Source for perl-modules is src:perl.

Reported by: Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li>

Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 18:48:02 UTC

Severity: important

Found in versions perl/5.14.0-1, perl/5.12.3-7, perl/5.10.1-17

Forwarded to http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=68613

Reply or subscribe to this bug.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>:
Bug#628522; Package perl-modules. (Sun, 29 May 2011 18:48:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>. (Sun, 29 May 2011 18:48:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li>
To: submit@bugs.debian.org
Subject: perl: ExtUtils::MakeMaker overriding CCFLAGS when passed to WriteMakefile
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 19:46:06 +0100
Package: perl-modules
Version: 5.14.0-1
Severity: important

This is a similar issue to that in
<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=624460>
where Extutils::CBuilder was fixed to not overwrite
$Config{ccflags} with $ENV{CFLAGS}.

(perl-exp-i386-test-sbuild)dom@carme:/tmp/hivex-1.2.7/perl$ perl -MConfig -e 'print $Config{ccflags}'
-D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DDEBIAN -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fstack-protector -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64

...

make[5]: Entering directory `/tmp/hivex-1.2.7/perl'
cp lib/Win/Hivex.pm blib/lib/Win/Hivex.pm
cp lib/Win/Hivex/Regedit.pm blib/lib/Win/Hivex/Regedit.pm
/usr/bin/perl /usr/share/perl/5.14/ExtUtils/xsubpp  -typemap /usr/share/perl/5.14/ExtUtils/typemap -typemap ./typemap -typemap typemap  Hivex.xs > Hivex.xsc && mv Hivex.xsc Hivex.c
cc -c  -I../lib -I../lib -g -O2 -O2 -g   -DVERSION=\"1.2.7\" -DXS_VERSION=\"1.2.7\" -fPIC "-I/usr/lib/perl/5.14/CORE"   Hivex.c

...

t/010-load.t .............
Dubious, test returned 1 (wstat 256, 0x100)
Failed 1/1 subtests
Not a CODE reference at /usr/lib/perl/5.14/DynaLoader.pm line 207.
END failed--call queue aborted at /build/dom-hivex_1.2.6-3+b1-i386-XFhvjI/hivex-1.2.6/perl/blib/lib/Win/Hivex.pm line 207.
Compilation failed in require at t/020-open.t line 22.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at t/020-open.t line 22.

Again, this isn't a new problem, but it's only with 5.14 that it's fatal.
I haven't yet checked which versions of ExtUtils::MakeMaker have the
problem.

The same problem also arises with

- libgd-gd2-perl
- libogre-perl
- libois-perl

Each passes CCFLAGS to WriteMakefile.

I've confirmed that removing CCFLAGS from perl/Makefile.PL.in in the
hivex fixes the build problem.

-- 
Dominic Hargreaves | http://www.larted.org.uk/~dom/
PGP key 5178E2A5 from the.earth.li (keyserver,web,email)




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org:
Bug#628522; Package perl-modules. (Sun, 29 May 2011 19:51:10 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. (Sun, 29 May 2011 19:51:10 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 628522@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>
To: 628522@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#628522: perl: ExtUtils::MakeMaker overriding CCFLAGS when passed to WriteMakefile
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 22:47:31 +0300
On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 07:46:06PM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> Package: perl-modules
> Version: 5.14.0-1
> Severity: important
> 
> This is a similar issue to that in
> <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=624460>
> where Extutils::CBuilder was fixed to not overwrite
> $Config{ccflags} with $ENV{CFLAGS}.

> Failed 1/1 subtests
> Not a CODE reference at /usr/lib/perl/5.14/DynaLoader.pm line 207.
> END failed--call queue aborted at /build/dom-hivex_1.2.6-3+b1-i386-XFhvjI/hivex-1.2.6/perl/blib/lib/Win/Hivex.pm line 207.

> - libgd-gd2-perl
> - libogre-perl
> - libois-perl
> 
> Each passes CCFLAGS to WriteMakefile.

FWIW, at least the GD-GD2 ticket
 https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=67990
is about the same issue, so this time it's not Debian specific.
-- 
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org




Bug Marked as found in versions perl/5.10.1-17. Request was from Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sun, 29 May 2011 19:54:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Bug Marked as found in versions perl/5.12.3-7. Request was from Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sun, 29 May 2011 19:54:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org:
Bug#628522; Package perl-modules. (Mon, 30 May 2011 20:09:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. (Mon, 30 May 2011 20:09:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #19 received at 628522@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>
To: 628522@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#628522: perl: ExtUtils::MakeMaker overriding CCFLAGS when passed to WriteMakefile
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 23:05:43 +0300
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 07:46:06PM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> Package: perl-modules
> Version: 5.14.0-1
> Severity: important
> 
> This is a similar issue to that in
> <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=624460>
> where Extutils::CBuilder was fixed to not overwrite
> $Config{ccflags} with $ENV{CFLAGS}.

> Again, this isn't a new problem, but it's only with 5.14 that it's fatal.

It's a bit hard to say whether this is a bug in EU::MM or the modules
overriding CCFLAGS. The documentation doesn't specify one way or the other,
but at least libdbd-oracle-perl seems to get it right with

  $opts{CCFLAGS} = "-P $Config{ccflags}" if $Config{cc} eq 'bcc32';  # force C++

Also, the last test in cpan/ExtUtils-MakeMaker/t/MM_Unix.t actually
checks that CCFLAGS overrides anything else, so this seems to be the
intended behaviour.

However, I can't think of a case where overriding $Config{ccflags} is
the correct thing to do.

The attached naive patch appends CCFLAGS to $Config{ccflags}. Could you
please try and see if it fixes things for you? Ideally, it would also
be useful to see if it breaks anything that used to work without it.
(The patch is with -p1 from the EU::MM repository so it won't apply to the
perl sources with just 'git am').

Once that's confirmed, I think the issue needs to be discussed upstream
before applying this for the Debian packages.
-- 
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org
[0001-Append-CCFLAGS-to-Config-ccflags-instead-of-overridi.patch (text/x-diff, attachment)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>:
Bug#628522; Package perl-modules. (Thu, 02 Jun 2011 17:27:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>. (Thu, 02 Jun 2011 17:27:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #24 received at 628522@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li>
To: 628522@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#628522: perl: ExtUtils::MakeMaker overriding CCFLAGS when passed to WriteMakefile
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 18:23:25 +0100
On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 11:05:43PM +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:
> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 07:46:06PM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> > Package: perl-modules
> > Version: 5.14.0-1
> > Severity: important
> > 
> > This is a similar issue to that in
> > <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=624460>
> > where Extutils::CBuilder was fixed to not overwrite
> > $Config{ccflags} with $ENV{CFLAGS}.
> 
> > Again, this isn't a new problem, but it's only with 5.14 that it's fatal.
> 
> It's a bit hard to say whether this is a bug in EU::MM or the modules
> overriding CCFLAGS. The documentation doesn't specify one way or the other,
> but at least libdbd-oracle-perl seems to get it right with
> 
>   $opts{CCFLAGS} = "-P $Config{ccflags}" if $Config{cc} eq 'bcc32';  # force C++
> 
> Also, the last test in cpan/ExtUtils-MakeMaker/t/MM_Unix.t actually
> checks that CCFLAGS overrides anything else, so this seems to be the
> intended behaviour.
> 
> However, I can't think of a case where overriding $Config{ccflags} is
> the correct thing to do.
> 
> The attached naive patch appends CCFLAGS to $Config{ccflags}. Could you
> please try and see if it fixes things for you? Ideally, it would also
> be useful to see if it breaks anything that used to work without it.
> (The patch is with -p1 from the EU::MM repository so it won't apply to the
> perl sources with just 'git am').

I applied this patch to a test build of perl 5.14.0 and rebuilt the
XS modules in sid with it.

All the packages that failed because of this before now built okay (eg:

cc -c  -I../lib -I../lib -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DDEBIAN -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fstack-protector -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -g -O2 -O2 -g   -DVERSION=\"1.2.7\" -DXS_VERSION=\"1.2.7\" -fPIC "-I/usr/lib/perl/5.14/CORE"   Hivex.c

and I couldn't spot any new breakage that can be attributed to this
change.
 
> Once that's confirmed, I think the issue needs to be discussed upstream
> before applying this for the Debian packages.

Okay; would you be able to do this now that we have validated the patch
as working?

Thanks,
Dominic.

-- 
Dominic Hargreaves | http://www.larted.org.uk/~dom/
PGP key 5178E2A5 from the.earth.li (keyserver,web,email)




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org:
Bug#628522; Package perl-modules. (Thu, 02 Jun 2011 18:33:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. (Thu, 02 Jun 2011 18:33:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #29 received at 628522@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>
To: Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li>, 628522@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#628522: perl: ExtUtils::MakeMaker overriding CCFLAGS when passed to WriteMakefile
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 21:29:11 +0300
On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 06:23:25PM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 11:05:43PM +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:

> > The attached naive patch appends CCFLAGS to $Config{ccflags}. Could you
> > please try and see if it fixes things for you? Ideally, it would also
> > be useful to see if it breaks anything that used to work without it.
> > (The patch is with -p1 from the EU::MM repository so it won't apply to the
> > perl sources with just 'git am').
> 
> I applied this patch to a test build of perl 5.14.0 and rebuilt the
> XS modules in sid with it.

> All the packages that failed because of this before now built okay

> and I couldn't spot any new breakage that can be attributed to this
> change.

> > Once that's confirmed, I think the issue needs to be discussed upstream
> > before applying this for the Debian packages.
> 
> Okay; would you be able to do this now that we have validated the patch
> as working?

Sure, will file a ticket in the CPAN EU:MM queue next.

I expect that you didn't build libdbd-oracle-perl (it's in contrib
as it needs some Oracle binaries), but if you still have the build
logs available, could you please check if any other log contains
$Config{ccflags} twice? 

Such packages would be currently using CCFLAGS "correctly" and potentially
be affected negatively by the fix. I doubt that having the flags twice
breaks anything, but verifying that would be good.

Grepping for -D_REENTRANT.*-D_REENTRANT or something like that should do.
-- 
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org




Set Bug forwarded-to-address to 'http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=68613'. Request was from Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Thu, 02 Jun 2011 19:03:10 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>:
Bug#628522; Package perl-modules. (Thu, 02 Jun 2011 20:57:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>. (Thu, 02 Jun 2011 20:57:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #36 received at 628522@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li>
To: 628522@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#628522: perl: ExtUtils::MakeMaker overriding CCFLAGS when passed to WriteMakefile
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 21:53:52 +0100
On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 09:29:11PM +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:
> I expect that you didn't build libdbd-oracle-perl (it's in contrib
> as it needs some Oracle binaries), but if you still have the build
> logs available, could you please check if any other log contains
> $Config{ccflags} twice? 
> 
> Such packages would be currently using CCFLAGS "correctly" and potentially
> be affected negatively by the fix. I doubt that having the flags twice
> breaks anything, but verifying that would be good.
> 
> Grepping for -D_REENTRANT.*-D_REENTRANT or something like that should do.

Sure.

dom@carme:~/logs$ egrep -l -- '-D_REENTRANT.*-D_REENTRANT' *
freeradius_2.1.10+dfsg-3+b1-i386-20110602-1216
frozen-bubble_2.2.0-2+b2-i386-20110602-1305
graphicsmagick_1.3.12-1+b3-i386-20110602-0111
imagemagick_6.6.9.7-2+b1-i386-20110602-0934
kvirc_4.1.1~svn5829-1+b1-i386-20110601-2312
libalgorithm-permute-perl_0.12-1+b2-i386-20110601-2333
libdbd-pg-perl_2.18.1-1+b1-i386-20110602-1244
libsearch-xapian-perl_1.2.5.0-3+b1-i386-20110602-0259
libunicode-japanese-perl_0.47-1+b2-i386-20110602-0422
libverilog-perl_3.306-1+b1-i386-20110602-1303
libxml-xerces-perl_2.7.0-0+deb1-2+b2-i386-20110602-0427
libzeromq-perl_0.15-1+b1-i386-20110602-0429
net-snmp_5.4.3~dfsg-2.2+b1-i386-20110602-0314
net-snmp_5.4.3~dfsg-2.2+b1-i386-20110602-0320
nginx_1.0.1-1+b1-i386-20110602-0922
sdlperl_2.2.5-1+b3-i386-20110602-1300
subversion_1.6.16dfsg-1+b3-i386-20110602-0329
vim_7.3.154+hg~74503f6ee649-2+b2-i386-20110602-1110
vim_7.3.154+hg~74503f6ee649-2+b2-i386-20110602-1122
vim_7.3.154+hg~74503f6ee649-2+b2-i386-20110602-1135
vim_7.3.154+hg~74503f6ee649-2+b2-i386-20110602-1147
xmms2_0.7DrNo+dfsg-2+b3-i386-20110601-2336

-- 
Dominic Hargreaves | http://www.larted.org.uk/~dom/
PGP key 5178E2A5 from the.earth.li (keyserver,web,email)




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org:
Bug#628522; Package perl-modules. (Fri, 03 Jun 2011 04:45:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. (Fri, 03 Jun 2011 04:45:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #41 received at 628522@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>
To: 628522@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#628522: perl: ExtUtils::MakeMaker overriding CCFLAGS when passed to WriteMakefile
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 07:41:44 +0300
On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 09:53:52PM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 09:29:11PM +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:
> > I expect that you didn't build libdbd-oracle-perl (it's in contrib
> > as it needs some Oracle binaries), but if you still have the build
> > logs available, could you please check if any other log contains
> > $Config{ccflags} twice? 
> > 
> > Such packages would be currently using CCFLAGS "correctly" and potentially
> > be affected negatively by the fix. I doubt that having the flags twice
> > breaks anything, but verifying that would be good.
> > 
> > Grepping for -D_REENTRANT.*-D_REENTRANT or something like that should do.
> Sure.

Thanks. I see there are more packages using CCFLAGS "correctly" than
I thought. Interestingly, some of these modify the $Config{ccflags}
settings.

From libsearch-xapian-perl:

  my $CCFLAGS = $Config{'ccflags'};
  # Perl is built with -Wdeclaration-after-statement on RHEL5 - this isn't
  # meaningful for C++ - it only emits a warning but it's easy to fix.
  $CCFLAGS =~ s/(?:^|\s+)-Wdeclaration-after-statement(?:\s+|$)/ /;
  # The generated code causes "variable may be used uninitialized" warnings
  # if Perl was built with -Wall.
  $CCFLAGS =~ s/(^|\s+)-Wall(\s+|$)/$1-Wall -Wno-uninitialized$2/;
  
  $CCFLAGS .= ' ' . $var{CPPFLAGS} if exists $var{CPPFLAGS};
  $CCFLAGS .= ' ' . $var{CXXFLAGS} if exists $var{CXXFLAGS};

and from libverilog-perl:
  # Grr; some flags cause warnings in g++
  (my $ccflags = $Config{ccflags}) =~ s/ *-Wdeclaration-after-statement//;

Doing that would be impossible with the patch I proposed.

This seems to imply that blindly overriding CCFLAGS isn't quite the right
thing to do after all. A better approach might be to update the EU::MM
documentation, optionally add a new CCEXTRAFLAGS that automatically
includes $Config{ccflags}, and fix the modules that currently don't use
$Config{ccflags} at all.

I'll comment on the upstream ticket too.

The real positives are

> libdbd-pg-perl_2.18.1-1+b1-i386-20110602-1244
> graphicsmagick_1.3.12-1+b3-i386-20110602-0111
> imagemagick_6.6.9.7-2+b1-i386-20110602-0934
> libsearch-xapian-perl_1.2.5.0-3+b1-i386-20110602-0259
> libalgorithm-permute-perl_0.12-1+b2-i386-20110601-2333
> libverilog-perl_3.306-1+b1-i386-20110602-1303
these use $Config{ccflags} to set CCFLAGS

> libzeromq-perl_0.15-1+b1-i386-20110602-0429
uses $Config{ccflags} to set CCFLAGS via inc/Module/Install/XSUtil.pm

> libunicode-japanese-perl_0.47-1+b2-i386-20110602-0422
> nginx_1.0.1-1+b1-i386-20110602-0922
these use ExtUtils::Embed::ccopts() to set CCFLAGS

False positives:

> freeradius_2.1.10+dfsg-3+b1-i386-20110602-1216
> libxml-xerces-perl_2.7.0-0+deb1-2+b2-i386-20110602-0427
these explicitly concatenate -D_REENTRANT with the flags from
ExtUtils::Embed::ccopts / Config{ccflags}

> frozen-bubble_2.2.0-2+b2-i386-20110602-1305
> kvirc_4.1.1~svn5829-1+b1-i386-20110601-2312
> net-snmp_5.4.3~dfsg-2.2+b1-i386-20110602-0320
> sdlperl_2.2.5-1+b3-i386-20110602-1300
> subversion_1.6.16dfsg-1+b3-i386-20110602-0329
> vim_7.3.154+hg~74503f6ee649-2+b2-i386-20110602-1110
these pick up -D_REENTRANT from somewhere else besides ExtUtils::Embed

> xmms2_0.7DrNo+dfsg-2+b3-i386-20110601-2336
picks up -D_REENTRANT from somewhere else besides $Config{ccflags}

-- 
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>:
Bug#628522; Package perl-modules. (Sun, 31 Jul 2011 17:09:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>. (Sun, 31 Jul 2011 17:09:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #46 received at 628522@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li>
To: Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>, 628522@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#628522: perl: ExtUtils::MakeMaker overriding CCFLAGS when passed to WriteMakefile
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 18:07:37 +0100
On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 07:41:44AM +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:

> This seems to imply that blindly overriding CCFLAGS isn't quite the right
> thing to do after all. A better approach might be to update the EU::MM
> documentation, optionally add a new CCEXTRAFLAGS that automatically
> includes $Config{ccflags}, and fix the modules that currently don't use
> $Config{ccflags} at all.
> 
> I'll comment on the upstream ticket too.

No comments from upstream, so I suggest it's now an appropriate moment
to get on and fix the individual packages (if we want to get the perl
5.14 up and running).

The current list, based on my rebuilds this weekend, is:

- hivex
- libapache2-mod-perl2
- libcrypt-gcrypt-perl
- libgd-gd2-perl
- libogre-perl
- libois-perl
- libpdl-io-hdf5-perl
- libpdl-netcdf-perl (doesn't actually fail, but seems to carry on
  even though the build fails)
- subversion (#628507)

Given the lack of action upstream so far I don't think we should yet
implement EXTRACCFLAGS yet, but I do think we should patch our perl with
the documentation patch.

Possible template bug report text for the broken modules:

--------
As discussed on Debian bug #628522, this package fails to build with
perl 5.14.1 because $Config{ccflags} is being overridden by local
CCFLAGS options:

<insert build log snippet>

This bug is also discussed upstream at
<https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=68613>.

Please modify the build system of this package to include $Config{ccflags}
into CFLAGS. In most cases this will be by editing Makefile.PL.
--------

-- 
Dominic Hargreaves | http://www.larted.org.uk/~dom/
PGP key 5178E2A5 from the.earth.li (keyserver,web,email)




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org:
Bug#628522; Package perl-modules. (Mon, 01 Aug 2011 19:09:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. (Mon, 01 Aug 2011 19:09:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #51 received at 628522@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>
To: 628522@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#628522: perl: ExtUtils::MakeMaker overriding CCFLAGS when passed to WriteMakefile
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 22:04:46 +0300
On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 06:07:37PM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 07:41:44AM +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:
> 
> > This seems to imply that blindly overriding CCFLAGS isn't quite the right
> > thing to do after all. A better approach might be to update the EU::MM
> > documentation, optionally add a new CCEXTRAFLAGS that automatically
> > includes $Config{ccflags}, and fix the modules that currently don't use
> > $Config{ccflags} at all.

> No comments from upstream, so I suggest it's now an appropriate moment
> to get on and fix the individual packages (if we want to get the perl
> 5.14 up and running).

Yes. Thanks for pushing this.

> Given the lack of action upstream so far I don't think we should yet
> implement EXTRACCFLAGS yet, but I do think we should patch our perl with
> the documentation patch.

Agreed on both counts.

> Possible template bug report text for the broken modules:
> 
> --------
> As discussed on Debian bug #628522, this package fails to build with
> perl 5.14.1 because $Config{ccflags} is being overridden by local
> CCFLAGS options:
> 
> <insert build log snippet>
> 
> This bug is also discussed upstream at
> <https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=68613>.
> 
> Please modify the build system of this package to include $Config{ccflags}
> into CFLAGS. In most cases this will be by editing Makefile.PL.
> --------

This looks fine to me.
-- 
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org:
Bug#628522; Package perl-modules. (Tue, 02 Aug 2011 07:03:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. (Tue, 02 Aug 2011 07:03:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #56 received at 628522@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>
To: 628522@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#628522: perl: ExtUtils::MakeMaker overriding CCFLAGS when passed to WriteMakefile
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 10:01:33 +0300
On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 10:04:46PM +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 06:07:37PM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:

> > Possible template bug report text for the broken modules:
> > 
> > --------
> > As discussed on Debian bug #628522, this package fails to build with
> > perl 5.14.1 because $Config{ccflags} is being overridden by local
> > CCFLAGS options:

[...]

> This looks fine to me.

Oh, just one thing: it would be good to mention that the failure happens
on i386 but not amd64. (Not sure about the other 32-bit architectures
though.)
-- 
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>:
Bug#628522; Package perl-modules. (Wed, 03 Aug 2011 20:51:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>. (Wed, 03 Aug 2011 20:51:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #61 received at 628522@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li>
To: Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>, 628522@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#628522: perl: ExtUtils::MakeMaker overriding CCFLAGS when passed to WriteMakefile
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 21:49:39 +0100
On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 10:01:33AM +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 10:04:46PM +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 06:07:37PM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> 
> > > Possible template bug report text for the broken modules:
> > > 
> > > --------
> > > As discussed on Debian bug #628522, this package fails to build with
> > > perl 5.14.1 because $Config{ccflags} is being overridden by local
> > > CCFLAGS options:
> 
> [...]
> 
> > This looks fine to me.
> 
> Oh, just one thing: it would be good to mention that the failure happens
> on i386 but not amd64. (Not sure about the other 32-bit architectures
> though.)

Noted. I'll work through fixing the bug for one package and then file
the bugs for the others.

Cheers,
Dominic.

-- 
Dominic Hargreaves | http://www.larted.org.uk/~dom/
PGP key 5178E2A5 from the.earth.li (keyserver,web,email)




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>:
Bug#628522; Package perl-modules. (Fri, 05 Aug 2011 10:15:17 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>. (Fri, 05 Aug 2011 10:15:25 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #66 received at 628522@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li>
To: 628522@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#628522: perl: ExtUtils::MakeMaker overriding CCFLAGS when passed to WriteMakefile
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 11:12:53 +0100
On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 09:49:39PM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:

> Noted. I'll work through fixing the bug for one package and then file
> the bugs for the others.

Now done.

-- 
Dominic Hargreaves | http://www.larted.org.uk/~dom/
PGP key 5178E2A5 from the.earth.li (keyserver,web,email)




Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Sat Apr 19 05:43:25 2014; Machine Name: beach.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.