Debian Bug report logs - #604754
texlive-latex-base: Possibly indexing problem leads to latex failing

Package: texlive-binaries; Maintainer for texlive-binaries is Debian TeX Maintainers <debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org>; Source for texlive-binaries is src:texlive-bin.

Reported by: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org>

Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 03:51:02 UTC

Severity: normal

Reply or subscribe to this bug.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, edd@debian.org, Debian TeX Maintainers <debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#604754; Package texlive-latex-base. (Wed, 24 Nov 2010 03:51:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to edd@debian.org, Debian TeX Maintainers <debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org>. (Wed, 24 Nov 2010 03:51:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: texlive-latex-base: Possibly indexing problem leads to latex failing
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 21:46:43 -0600
Package: texlive-latex-base
Version: 2009-10
Severity: normal

Hi,

R packages convert their internal help format (written in macro language
close to latex) to latex, html, and other formats.  The latex gets built into
pdf versions.

My RQuantLib package (for which I am upstream and Debian maintainer) produced
a version that lets pdflatex fails _every other run_.  I.e. see the attached
file and in a temp directory try 

     pdflatex rql.tex     # success
     pdflatex rql.tex     # failure !!

and so on. This may be related to hyperref. 

I apologize for the size of the attached file -- the first version was over
50 pages.

If I can help with anything else please let me know.

Cheers, Dirk

[ATTACHMENT /tmp/rql.tex, application/octet-stream]

--     
Dirk Eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org | http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian TeX Maintainers <debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#604754; Package texlive-latex-base. (Wed, 24 Nov 2010 04:57:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian TeX Maintainers <debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org>. (Wed, 24 Nov 2010 04:57:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 604754@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>
To: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org>, 604754@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#604754: texlive-latex-base: Possibly indexing problem leads to latex failing
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 13:52:09 +0900
Hi Dirk,

On Di, 23 Nov 2010, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>      pdflatex rql.tex     # success
>      pdflatex rql.tex     # failure !!

interesting.

> If I can help with anything else please let me know.

Yes, *really* attach the file, I didn't get it in your email, only
the following text:

> [ATTACHMENT /tmp/rql.tex, application/octet-stream]

Best wishes

Norbert
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Norbert Preining            preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
JAIST, Japan                                 TeX Live & Debian Developer
DSA: 0x09C5B094   fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76  A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094
------------------------------------------------------------------------
TRANTLEMORE (vb.) To make a noise like a train crossing a set of
points.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian TeX Maintainers <debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#604754; Package texlive-latex-base. (Wed, 24 Nov 2010 12:45:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian TeX Maintainers <debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org>. (Wed, 24 Nov 2010 12:45:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 604754@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org>
To: Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>
Cc: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org>, 604754@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#604754: texlive-latex-base: Possibly indexing problem leads to latex failing
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 06:40:45 -0600
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On 24 November 2010 at 13:52, Norbert Preining wrote:
| Hi Dirk,
| 
| On Di, 23 Nov 2010, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| >      pdflatex rql.tex     # success
| >      pdflatex rql.tex     # failure !!
| 
| interesting.

Oh, and it then continues the same way: good, bad, good, bad.  Some indexing
goes off.
 
| > If I can help with anything else please let me know.
| 
| Yes, *really* attach the file, I didn't get it in your email, only
| the following text:
| 
| > [ATTACHMENT /tmp/rql.tex, application/octet-stream]

Sorry. Somehow the Emacs bug report mode and I didn't get on there.

[rql.tex (application/octet-stream, attachment)]
[Message part 3 (text/plain, inline)]
Let's see if this work, else emacs23 and vm get a bug report too...

Cheers, Dirk

-- 
Dirk Eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org | http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian TeX Maintainers <debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#604754; Package texlive-latex-base. (Thu, 25 Nov 2010 11:51:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian TeX Maintainers <debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org>. (Thu, 25 Nov 2010 11:51:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 604754@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de>
To: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org>, 604754@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#604754: texlive-latex-base: Possibly indexing problem leads to latex failing
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 12:31:51 +0100
On 24.11.10 Dirk Eddelbuettel (edd@debian.org) wrote:

Hi,

> My RQuantLib package (for which I am upstream and Debian
> maintainer) produced a version that lets pdflatex fails _every
> other run_.  I.e.  see the attached file and in a temp directory
> try
> 
! pdfTeX error (ext4): \pdfendlink ended up in different nesting level than \pdfstartlink.
\AtBegShi@Output ...ipout \box \AtBeginShipoutBox
                                                  \fi \fi
l.1410 }

!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

Correct?

This rather looks like a bug in the pdfTeX binary instead of the
hyperref package. googling for that message suggests, that the bug is
long-standing and was never really solved. :-(

H.
-- 
sigmentation fault




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian TeX Maintainers <debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#604754; Package texlive-latex-base. (Thu, 25 Nov 2010 12:51:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian TeX Maintainers <debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org>. (Thu, 25 Nov 2010 12:51:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #25 received at 604754@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org>
To: Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de>
Cc: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org>, 604754@bugs.debian.org, Prof Brian D Ripley <ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk>, Kurt.Hornik@wu.ac.at
Subject: Re: Bug#604754: texlive-latex-base: Possibly indexing problem leads to latex failing
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 06:50:11 -0600
Hi Hilmar,

Thanks for the follow-up. I added two CCs to two members of the R Core team
with whom I had exchanged puzzled notes on this earlier.

On 25 November 2010 at 12:31, Hilmar Preusse wrote:
| On 24.11.10 Dirk Eddelbuettel (edd@debian.org) wrote:
| 
| Hi,
| 
| > My RQuantLib package (for which I am upstream and Debian
| > maintainer) produced a version that lets pdflatex fails _every
| > other run_.  I.e.  see the attached file and in a temp directory
| > try
| > 
| ! pdfTeX error (ext4): \pdfendlink ended up in different nesting level than \pdfstartlink.
| \AtBegShi@Output ...ipout \box \AtBeginShipoutBox
|                                                   \fi \fi
| l.1410 }
| 
| !  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
| 
| Correct?
| 
| This rather looks like a bug in the pdfTeX binary instead of the
| hyperref package. googling for that message suggests, that the bug is
| long-standing and was never really solved. :-(

Could be. We were just guessing to be honest. What we found was that
replacing

	\documentclass[a4paper]{book}

with

	\documentclass[letterpaper]{book}

also suppressed the bug which made us think it had to do with the indexing,
what is which page etc.  It course of course be a garden-variety coding
error. Feel free to change the bug report title accordingly.

Long-standing and not-fixed does not sound great though.  Too bad there
aren't too many deep tex experts around. :-/

So I guess we'll have to keep this one open?

Cheers, Dirk

-- 
Dirk Eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org | http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com




Information stored :
Bug#604754; Package texlive-latex-base. (Thu, 25 Nov 2010 16:33:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>:
Extra info received and filed, but not forwarded. (Thu, 25 Nov 2010 16:33:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #30 received at 604754-quiet@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>
To: Heiko Oberdiek <oberdiek@uni-freiburg.de>
Cc: 604754-quiet@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Ein Problem mit hyperref
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 01:31:43 +0900
Hallo Heiko,

auf der Debian Seite hab ich folgenden Bugreport erhalten: Im Prinzip
geht es um eine Datei die bei jedem zweiten Durchlauf einen Fehler
produziert:
! pdfTeX error (ext4): \pdfendlink ended up in different nesting level than \pd
fstartlink.
\AtBegShi@Output ...ipout \box \AtBeginShipoutBox 
                                                  \fi \fi 
l.1413 }
        
!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

Sagt dir das was?

Wenn du willst schicke ich dir die Datei. Ich hab schon ein Zeiterl 
probiert es auf eine kleine Datei runterzubrehcen, aber immer wenn
man es verkleinert verschwindet der Fehler :-(

Herzliche Grüße

Norbert
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Norbert Preining            preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
JAIST, Japan                                 TeX Live & Debian Developer
DSA: 0x09C5B094   fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76  A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094
------------------------------------------------------------------------
`...and the Universe,' continued the waiter, determined
not to be deflected on his home stretch, `will explode
later for your pleasure.'
Ford's head swivelled slowly towards him. He spoke with
feeling.
What sort of drinks do you serve in this
place?'
The waiter laughed a polite little waiter's laugh.
I think sir has perhaps misunderstood me.'
`Oh, I hope not,' breathed Ford.
                 --- Ford in paradise.
                 --- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian TeX Maintainers <debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#604754; Package texlive-latex-base. (Sat, 27 Nov 2010 12:33:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian TeX Maintainers <debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org>. (Sat, 27 Nov 2010 12:33:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #35 received at 604754@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de>
To: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org>, 604754@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#604754: texlive-latex-base: Possibly indexing problem leads to latex failing
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 13:32:12 +0100
reassign 604754 texlive-binaries
stop 

On 25.11.10 Dirk Eddelbuettel (edd@debian.org) wrote:
> On 25 November 2010 at 12:31, Hilmar Preusse wrote:
> | On 24.11.10 Dirk Eddelbuettel (edd@debian.org) wrote:

Hi,

> | > My RQuantLib package (for which I am upstream and Debian
> | > maintainer) produced a version that lets pdflatex fails _every
> | > other run_.  I.e.  see the attached file and in a temp directory
> | > try
> | > 
> | ! pdfTeX error (ext4): \pdfendlink ended up in different nesting level than \pdfstartlink.
> | \AtBegShi@Output ...ipout \box \AtBeginShipoutBox
> |                                                   \fi \fi
> | l.1410 }
> | 
> | !  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
> | 
> | Correct?
> | 
> | This rather looks like a bug in the pdfTeX binary instead of the
> | hyperref package. googling for that message suggests, that the bug is
> | long-standing and was never really solved. :-(
> 
> Could be. We were just guessing to be honest. What we found was that
> replacing
> 
> 	\documentclass[a4paper]{book}
> 
> with
> 
> 	\documentclass[letterpaper]{book}
> 
> also suppressed the bug which made us think it had to do with the indexing,
> what is which page etc.
> 
Can't tell. At least the other reports said, they have seen similar
things (switching from letter to a4 or vice versa, solved the
problem).


> Long-standing and not-fixed does not sound great though.  Too bad there
> aren't too many deep tex experts around. :-/
> 
> So I guess we'll have to keep this one open?
> 
We should forward it again maybe one gets a fix this time. For now I
reassign the bug to the correct package.

H.
-- 
sigmentation fault




Bug reassigned from package 'texlive-latex-base' to 'texlive-binaries'. Request was from Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sat, 27 Nov 2010 12:33:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Bug No longer marked as found in versions texlive-base/2009-10. Request was from Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sat, 27 Nov 2010 12:33:10 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Mon Apr 21 06:08:28 2014; Machine Name: beach.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.