Debian Bug report logs - #604344
Preparations for the removal of the KDE3 and Qt3 libraries

version graph

Package: src:bouml; Maintainer for src:bouml is Thomas Girard <thomas.g.girard@free.fr>;

Reported by: Eckhart Wörner <ewoerner@kde.org>

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 19:30:02 UTC

Severity: important

Tags: sid, wheezy

Fixed in version 4.21-1+rm

Done: Debian FTP Masters <ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to Thomas Girard <thomas.g.girard@free.fr>:
Bug#604344; Package src:bouml. (Sun, 21 Nov 2010 19:30:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Eckhart Wörner <ewoerner@kde.org>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to Thomas Girard <thomas.g.girard@free.fr>. (Sun, 21 Nov 2010 19:30:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at maintonly@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Eckhart Wörner <ewoerner@kde.org>
To: maintonly@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Preparations for the removal of the KDE3 and Qt3 libraries
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 20:25:51 +0100
Source: bouml
Severity: wishlist
User: debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org
Usertags: qt3libs-removal


Dear maintainer,

The Debian Qt/KDE team is planning to remove the KDE3 and Qt3 libraries from 
Debian shortly after the Squeeze release. The transition phase to KDE4 and Qt4 
will finish since both KDE and Nokia upstream don't maintain the old versions 
of those libraries anymore.

In order to make this move, all packages directly or indirectly depending on 
the KDE3/Qt3 libraries have to either get ported to KDE4/Qt4 or eventually get 
removed from the Debian repositories.

Therefore, please take the time and:
- contact your upstream (if existing) and ask about the state of a KDE4/Qt4 
port of your application
- if there are no activities regarding porting, investigate whether there are 
suitable alternatives for your users
- if there is a KDE4/Qt4 port that is not yet packaged, consider packaging it
- if both the KDE3/Qt3 and the KDE4/Qt4 version already coexist in the Debian 
archives, consider removing the KDE3/Qt3 version

Documentation on how to port to KDE4 can be found at:
http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Development/Tutorials/KDE4_Porting_Guide

Documentation on how to port to Qt4 can be found at:
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7/porting4.html

For any questions and issues, do not hesitate to contact the Debian Qt/KDE 
team at debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org

Eckhart




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Thomas Girard <thomas.g.girard@free.fr>:
Bug#604344; Package src:bouml. (Wed, 12 Jan 2011 17:54:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Jonathan Thomas <echidnaman@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Thomas Girard <thomas.g.girard@free.fr>. (Wed, 12 Jan 2011 17:54:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 604344@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Jonathan Thomas <echidnaman@gmail.com>
To: 604344@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Bouml will not be ported
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 12:51:42 -0500
Hello,

I'm obviously not the maintainer of this package, but I have been researching 
packages in the Kubuntu and Debian archives that still depend on KDE3/Qt3. I found on the official Bouml website that Bouml development has been discontinued except for bugfix maintenance of the latest release: http://bouml.free.fr/

A suitable replacement also exists in Debian already, namely in the form of Umbrello from the KDE Software Compilation.

Obviously the package maintainer must ultimately decide what happens to this package, but I thought I'd post the information I found here.

Sincerely,
Jonathan




Severity set to 'serious' from 'wishlist' Request was from Eckhart Wörner <ewoerner@kde.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Tue, 08 Feb 2011 11:27:55 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Added tag(s) sid and wheezy. Request was from Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Thu, 10 Feb 2011 19:33:54 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Severity set to 'important' from 'serious' Request was from Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <perezmeyer@gmail.com> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sat, 26 Feb 2011 18:36:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Thomas Girard <thomas.g.girard@free.fr>:
Bug#604344; Package src:bouml. (Fri, 18 May 2012 18:30:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Thomas Girard <thomas.g.girard@free.fr>. (Fri, 18 May 2012 18:30:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #21 received at 604344@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org>
To: Jonathan Thomas <echidnaman@gmail.com>, 604344@bugs.debian.org, Thomas Girard <thomas.g.girard@free.fr>
Subject: Re: Bug#604344: Bouml will not be ported
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 20:27:48 +0200
On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 12:51:42PM -0500, Jonathan Thomas wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> I'm obviously not the maintainer of this package, but I have been researching 
> packages in the Kubuntu and Debian archives that still depend on KDE3/Qt3. I found on the official Bouml website that Bouml development has been discontinued except for bugfix maintenance of the latest release: http://bouml.free.fr/
> 
> A suitable replacement also exists in Debian already, namely in the form of Umbrello from the KDE Software Compilation.
> 
> Obviously the package maintainer must ultimately decide what happens to this package, but I thought I'd post the information I found here.

Upstream finally has decided release a Qt4 version. Thomas G: I am trying to remove Qt3
before wheezy, so could you please update bouml to the newer version 5.0?

Thanks,
Ana




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Thomas Girard <thomas.g.girard@free.fr>:
Bug#604344; Package src:bouml. (Fri, 18 May 2012 18:45:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Jonathan Thomas <echidnaman@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Thomas Girard <thomas.g.girard@free.fr>. (Fri, 18 May 2012 18:45:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #26 received at 604344@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Jonathan Thomas <echidnaman@gmail.com>
To: Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org>
Cc: 604344@bugs.debian.org, Thomas Girard <thomas.g.girard@free.fr>
Subject: Re: Bug#604344: Bouml will not be ported
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 14:42:22 -0400
It looks like Bouml is now under a non-free license?
http://www.bouml.fr/historic.html

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 12:51:42PM -0500, Jonathan Thomas wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm obviously not the maintainer of this package, but I have been researching
>> packages in the Kubuntu and Debian archives that still depend on KDE3/Qt3. I found on the official Bouml website that Bouml development has been discontinued except for bugfix maintenance of the latest release: http://bouml.free.fr/
>>
>> A suitable replacement also exists in Debian already, namely in the form of Umbrello from the KDE Software Compilation.
>>
>> Obviously the package maintainer must ultimately decide what happens to this package, but I thought I'd post the information I found here.
>
> Upstream finally has decided release a Qt4 version. Thomas G: I am trying to remove Qt3
> before wheezy, so could you please update bouml to the newer version 5.0?
>
> Thanks,
> Ana




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Thomas Girard <thomas.g.girard@free.fr>:
Bug#604344; Package src:bouml. (Fri, 18 May 2012 18:51:12 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Thomas Girard <thomas.g.girard@free.fr>. (Fri, 18 May 2012 18:51:12 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #31 received at 604344@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org>
To: Jonathan Thomas <echidnaman@gmail.com>
Cc: 604344@bugs.debian.org, Thomas Girard <thomas.g.girard@free.fr>
Subject: Re: Bug#604344: Bouml will not be ported
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 20:49:39 +0200
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 12:51:42PM -0500, Jonathan Thomas wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm obviously not the maintainer of this package, but I have been researching
> >> packages in the Kubuntu and Debian archives that still depend on KDE3/Qt3. I found on the official Bouml website that Bouml development has been discontinued except for bugfix maintenance of the latest release: http://bouml.free.fr/
> >>
> >> A suitable replacement also exists in Debian already, namely in the form of Umbrello from the KDE Software Compilation.
> >>
> >> Obviously the package maintainer must ultimately decide what happens to this package, but I thought I'd post the information I found here.
> >
> > Upstream finally has decided release a Qt4 version. Thomas G: I am trying to remove Qt3
> > before wheezy, so could you please update bouml to the newer version 5.0?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ana


On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 02:42:22PM -0400, Jonathan Thomas wrote:
> It looks like Bouml is now under a non-free license?
> http://www.bouml.fr/historic.html
>

Hi,

Could you point at which part of the page talks about a license change?

Ana




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Thomas Girard <thomas.g.girard@free.fr>:
Bug#604344; Package src:bouml. (Fri, 18 May 2012 18:54:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Thomas Girard <thomas.g.girard@free.fr>. (Fri, 18 May 2012 18:54:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #36 received at 604344@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org>
To: Jonathan Thomas <echidnaman@gmail.com>
Cc: 604344@bugs.debian.org, Thomas Girard <thomas.g.girard@free.fr>
Subject: Re: Bug#604344: Bouml will not be ported
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 20:51:37 +0200
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 08:49:39PM +0200, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> Could you point at which part of the page talks about a license change?

Urg, just saw it. They are now selling licenses...
Filing for removal of bouml then... (because the Qt3 removal).

Ana




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org:
Bug#604344; Package src:bouml. (Fri, 18 May 2012 19:03:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Thomas Girard <thomas.g.girard@free.fr>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. (Fri, 18 May 2012 19:03:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #41 received at 604344@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Thomas Girard <thomas.g.girard@free.fr>
To: Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org>, 604344@bugs.debian.org
Cc: Jonathan Thomas <echidnaman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Bug#604344: Bouml will not be ported
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 20:59:35 +0200
Hello,

On 18/05/2012 20:51, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 08:49:39PM +0200, Ana Guerrero wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Could you point at which part of the page talks about a license change?
> 
> Urg, just saw it. They are now selling licenses...
> Filing for removal of bouml then... (because the Qt3 removal).

yes, I saw that. I was reluctant to do it, but I think indeed bouml
should be removed from Debian.

@Ana: did you file it already? If not, I can do it.

Thanks,
Regards,

Thomas




Reply sent to Debian FTP Masters <ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org>:
You have taken responsibility. (Sat, 19 May 2012 09:50:13 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to Eckhart Wörner <ewoerner@kde.org>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. (Sat, 19 May 2012 09:50:16 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #46 received at 604344-done@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Debian FTP Masters <ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org>
To: 411731-done@bugs.debian.org,601753-done@bugs.debian.org,604344-done@bugs.debian.org,632160-done@bugs.debian.org,
Cc: bouml@packages.debian.org, bouml@packages.qa.debian.org
Subject: Bug#673456: Removed package(s) from unstable
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 09:49:19 +0000
Version: 4.21-1+rm

Dear submitter,

as the package bouml has just been removed from the Debian archive
unstable we hereby close the associated bug reports.  We are sorry
that we couldn't deal with your issue properly.

For details on the removal, please see http://bugs.debian.org/673456

The version of this package that was in Debian prior to this removal
can still be found using http://snapshot.debian.org/.

This message was generated automatically; if you believe that there is
a problem with it please contact the archive administrators by mailing
ftpmaster@debian.org.

Debian distribution maintenance software
pp.
Alexander Reichle-Schmehl (the ftpmaster behind the curtain)




Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Sun, 17 Jun 2012 07:43:13 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Sun Apr 20 11:56:32 2014; Machine Name: buxtehude.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.