Debian Bug report logs - #600755
Autologin fails with login from shadow > 4.1.3.1

version graph

Package: login; Maintainer for login is Shadow package maintainers <pkg-shadow-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>; Source for login is src:shadow.

Reported by: Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net>

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 18:48:02 UTC

Severity: normal

Found in version 4.1.4

Done: Nicolas François <nicolas.francois@centraliens.net>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Shadow package maintainers <pkg-shadow-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#600755; Package login. (Tue, 19 Oct 2010 18:48:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to Shadow package maintainers <pkg-shadow-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Tue, 19 Oct 2010 18:48:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net>
To: submit@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Autologin fails with login from shadow > 4.1.3.1
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 14:45:44 -0400
Package: login
Version: 4.1.4
Severity: normal

My system is Gentoo, but Gentoo uses the shadow package that is
maintained by Debian and it is appropriate to make a report here.

I have been using the following autologin procedure on my machine
to avoid passwords for some time without problems:

http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/TIP_Passwordless_Login

However, using any version of shadow greater than 4.1.3.1 causes
this autologin procedure to fail.  The system will only hang
at boot and there are no errors logged.

The trouble begins with login from shadow-4.1.4.  Any login taken from
shadow-4.1.3.1 or earlier allows the autologin procedure to succeed.

There have been some changes to the login program that may cause
this problem and it may be related to PAM.  I do not use PAM on my
system.

A bug report was filed on the Gentoo bug tracker (https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=324419) but this is definitely an upstream issue and needs to be reported
to the Debian list.

Frank Peters




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Shadow package maintainers <pkg-shadow-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#600755; Package login. (Mon, 15 Nov 2010 22:21:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Nicolas François <nicolas.francois@centraliens.net>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Shadow package maintainers <pkg-shadow-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Mon, 15 Nov 2010 22:21:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 600755@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Nicolas François <nicolas.francois@centraliens.net>
To: Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net>, 600755@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: [Pkg-shadow-devel] Bug#600755: Autologin fails with login from shadow > 4.1.3.1
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 23:29:01 +0100
Hello,

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 02:45:44PM -0400, frank.peters@comcast.net wrote:
> 
> My system is Gentoo, but Gentoo uses the shadow package that is
> maintained by Debian and it is appropriate to make a report here.
> 
> I have been using the following autologin procedure on my machine
> to avoid passwords for some time without problems:
> 
> http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/TIP_Passwordless_Login
> 
> However, using any version of shadow greater than 4.1.3.1 causes
> this autologin procedure to fail.  The system will only hang
> at boot and there are no errors logged.
> 
> The trouble begins with login from shadow-4.1.4.  Any login taken from
> shadow-4.1.3.1 or earlier allows the autologin procedure to succeed.
> 
> There have been some changes to the login program that may cause
> this problem and it may be related to PAM.  I do not use PAM on my
> system.
> 
> A bug report was filed on the Gentoo bug tracker (https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=324419) but this is definitely an upstream issue and needs to be reported
> to the Debian list.

I did not reproduce this.
Could you check if there are some information logged in /var/log/syslog or
/var/log/auth.log.

It might be that login is more strict regarding having an entry in UTMP
before it is started, which might not be the case with the autologin
method you are using.

There might also be output indicating why login failed. You may have to
block your script at the end (e.g. with 'read') or you can redirect
login's stdout and stderr.

-- 
Nekral




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Shadow package maintainers <pkg-shadow-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#600755; Package login. (Tue, 16 Nov 2010 16:54:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Shadow package maintainers <pkg-shadow-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Tue, 16 Nov 2010 16:54:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 600755@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net>
To: 600755@bugs.debian.org
Cc: nicolas.francois@centraliens.net
Subject: Re: [Pkg-shadow-devel] Bug#600755: Autologin fails with login from shadow > 4.1.3.1
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 11:51:59 -0500
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 23:29:01 +0100
Nicolas François <nicolas.francois@centraliens.net> wrote:

> 
> I did not reproduce this.
> Could you check if there are some information logged in /var/log/syslog or
> /var/log/auth.log.
> 
> It might be that login is more strict regarding having an entry in UTMP
> before it is started, which might not be the case with the autologin
> method you are using.
> 
> There might also be output indicating why login failed. You may have to
> block your script at the end (e.g. with 'read') or you can redirect
> login's stdout and stderr.
> 

I can't get any output at all.  It seems the login program does not
even execute.

For example, after logging in as root using an older version (4.1.3.1)
of login, when I manually execute "login -f <user>" with the newer login,
the command hangs.  There is no response and I need to do Ctl-C to regain
control.

Using the older login (4.1.3.1) allows the command "login -f <user>"
to execute normally.

I have been searching and also cannot find any reports that reproduce
this problem.  It could be just a peculiarity of my configuration
somehow.  Until I can do some more debugging, I'll just use login from
shadow-4.1.3.1.




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Shadow package maintainers <pkg-shadow-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#600755; Package login. (Fri, 19 Nov 2010 16:57:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Shadow package maintainers <pkg-shadow-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Fri, 19 Nov 2010 16:57:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 600755@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net>
To: 600755@bugs.debian.org
Cc: Nicolas François <nicolas.francois@centraliens.net>
Subject: Re: [Pkg-shadow-devel] Bug#600755: Autologin fails with login from shadow > 4.1.3.1
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:52:25 -0500
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 23:29:01 +0100
Nicolas François <nicolas.francois@centraliens.net> wrote:

> 
> I did not reproduce this.
> Could you check if there are some information logged in /var/log/syslog or
> /var/log/auth.log.
> 

The problem has been solved on the Gentoo bug tracker:
http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=324419

It was a configuration issue.  Including the console device
for the CONSOLE option in login.defs causes the login program
to fail:

CONSOLE console:tty1:tty2:tty3:tty4

But shouldn't this still be considered a bug?  The previous
versions of login did not have trouble when reading the
same login.defs configuration file.




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Shadow package maintainers <pkg-shadow-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#600755; Package login. (Fri, 19 Nov 2010 21:39:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Nicolas François <nicolas.francois@centraliens.net>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Shadow package maintainers <pkg-shadow-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Fri, 19 Nov 2010 21:39:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #25 received at 600755@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Nicolas François <nicolas.francois@centraliens.net>
To: frank.peters@comcast.net
Cc: 600755@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: [Pkg-shadow-devel] Bug#600755: Autologin fails with login from shadow > 4.1.3.1
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 22:46:39 +0100
Hello,

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 11:52:25AM -0500, frank.peters@comcast.net wrote:
> 
> The problem has been solved on the Gentoo bug tracker:
> http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=324419
> 
> It was a configuration issue.  Including the console device
> for the CONSOLE option in login.defs causes the login program
> to fail:
> 
> CONSOLE console:tty1:tty2:tty3:tty4

Thanks for the additional information.

A bug was introduced in 4.1.4 in the CONSOLE parser, when CONSOLE does not
point to a file with a list of ttys.
The bug is in libmisc/console.c and will be fixed soon.

-- 
Nekral




Reply sent to Nicolas François <nicolas.francois@centraliens.net>:
You have taken responsibility. (Sat, 25 Jun 2011 11:03:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. (Sat, 25 Jun 2011 11:03:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #30 received at 600755-done@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Nicolas François <nicolas.francois@centraliens.net>
To: 600755-done@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#600755: Autologin fails with login from shadow > 4.1.3.1
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 13:00:36 +0200
Hello,

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 10:46:39PM +0100, Nicolas François wrote:
> 
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 11:52:25AM -0500, frank.peters@comcast.net wrote:
> > 
> > The problem has been solved on the Gentoo bug tracker:
> > http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=324419
> > 
> > It was a configuration issue.  Including the console device
> > for the CONSOLE option in login.defs causes the login program
> > to fail:
> > 
> > CONSOLE console:tty1:tty2:tty3:tty4
> 
> Thanks for the additional information.
> 
> A bug was introduced in 4.1.4 in the CONSOLE parser, when CONSOLE does not
> point to a file with a list of ttys.
> The bug is in libmisc/console.c and will be fixed soon.

This is fixed upstream (but not yet released.
Since this is not an issue in Debian, I'm closing manually.
(Thanks for reporting anyway)

Best Regards,
-- 
Nekral




Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Sun, 24 Jul 2011 07:35:45 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Sun Apr 20 16:03:32 2014; Machine Name: buxtehude.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.