Debian Bug report logs - #599200
base-installer: Install amd64 kernel on i686 kvm guest - and fail to boot

version graph

Package: base-installer; Maintainer for base-installer is Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>; Source for base-installer is src:base-installer.

Reported by: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>

Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 15:21:01 UTC

Severity: important

Tags: unreproducible

Fixed in version 1:0.12.5+dfsg-5

Done: Michael Tokarev <mjt@tls.msk.ru>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#599200; Package base-installer. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 15:21:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 15:21:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>
To: submit@bugs.debian.org
Subject: base-installer: Install amd64 kernel on i686 kvm guest - and fail to boot
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 17:15:56 +0200
Package: base-installer
Version: 1.110
Severity: grave
User:     debian-edu@lists.debian.org
UserTags: debian-edu

I discovered this using the Debian Edu DVD and installing on a i686
kvm guest on a i686 Lenny host.  The problem is that installation now
is successfull, but the installed machine fail to boot.  The grub menu
show up but the boot do not succeed.  After selecting the grub menu
item, the machine reboot right away.  This used to work before the
apt-setup problems #595903 and #598457 made it impossible to test the
DVD.  Now these problems are fixed but the installation is broken in a
new way. :)

I debugged this slightly, and the problem seem to be that d-i
installed a amd64 kernel on the 32-bit guest, and kvm is failing to
boot the kernel.  Booting in rescue mode and installing the 486 kernel
get the system running.

The Debian Edu DVD only include two kernels, 486 and amd64, to make
room for user applications on the DVD.

I looked at the installation log, and base-installer is looking for
the 686, 686-bitmem, amd64 and 486 kernels in that order, and end up
installing the wrong kernel for this machine.  I spoke with Ben
Hutchings on IRC, and he said the amd64 kernel is listed as an option
because the kvm CPU incorrectly list 'lm' as a CPU flag.  I looked in
/proc/cpuinfo and the lm flag is listed there.

This worked a few weeks ago, and I would really want it to work to
install Squeeze also on "broken" kvm hosts.

Setting severity to grave, as this leads to unbootable systems, and is
a regression from Lenny and earlier versions of Squeeze.

Happy hacking,
-- 
Petter Reinholdtsen




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#599200; Package base-installer. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 16:30:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 16:30:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 599200@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>
To: 599200@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#599200: base-installer: Install amd64 kernel on i686 kvm guest - and fail to boot
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 18:27:55 +0200
This is the /proc/cpuinfo in the i686 kvm guest:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 2
model name      : QEMU Virtual CPU version 0.10.0
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 2999.338
cache size      : 2048 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 nx lm pni hypervisor
bogomips        : 5998.67
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

Happy hacking,
-- 
Petter Reinholdtsen




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#599200; Package base-installer. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 16:30:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to juergen@leibner.eu:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 16:30:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 599200@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Jürgen Leibner <juergen@leibner.eu>
To: 599200@bugs.debian.org
Subject: base-installer: Install amd64 kernel on i686 kvm guest - and fail to boot
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 18:28:43 +0200
Hi,

I installed today the same way as Petter Reinholdtsen does, but on 
virtualbox-ose version 3.2.8-dfsg-2.

uname -a on the host system gives:

Linux laptop-jl 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Fri Sep 17 21:50:19 UTC 2010 
x86_64 GNU/Linux

When I install and choose <Install>, then a system is installed that has 
an amd64 kernel, but 32-bit userland. It should install a 32-bit kernel 
here, not a 64-bit one.

But when I choose <64 bit install>, I get a 64-bit kernel _and_ a 64-bit 
userland.


Best regards, Jürgen Leibner




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#599200; Package base-installer. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 16:39:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 16:39:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 599200@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>
To: juergen@leibner.eu, 599200@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#599200: base-installer: Install amd64 kernel on i686 kvm guest - and fail to boot
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 18:37:10 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Tue, Oct  5, 2010 at 18:28:43 +0200, Jürgen Leibner wrote:

> I installed today the same way as Petter Reinholdtsen does, but on 
> virtualbox-ose version 3.2.8-dfsg-2.
> 
> uname -a on the host system gives:
> 
> Linux laptop-jl 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Fri Sep 17 21:50:19 UTC 2010 
> x86_64 GNU/Linux
> 
> When I install and choose <Install>, then a system is installed that has 
> an amd64 kernel, but 32-bit userland. It should install a 32-bit kernel 
> here, not a 64-bit one.
> 
Why not?

Cheers,
Julien
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#599200; Package base-installer. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 17:09:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to juergen@leibner.eu:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 17:09:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #25 received at 599200@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Jürgen Leibner <juergen@leibner.eu>
To: 599200@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#599200: base-installer: Install amd64 kernel on i686 kvm guest - and fail to boot
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 19:08:03 +0200
On Tuesday 05 October 2010 18:37 Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Tue, Oct  5, 2010 at 18:28:43 +0200, Jürgen Leibner wrote:
> > I installed today the same way as Petter Reinholdtsen does, but on
> > virtualbox-ose version 3.2.8-dfsg-2.
> >
> > uname -a on the host system gives:
> >
> > Linux laptop-jl 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Fri Sep 17 21:50:19 UTC 2010
> > x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >
> > When I install and choose <Install>, then a system is installed
> > that has an amd64 kernel, but 32-bit userland. It should install a
> > 32-bit kernel here, not a 64-bit one.
>
> Why not?

If there would be an addititional menu which gives one the possibility to choose such a mixed system then I would be able to choose a mixed system.
But in this case, there is an <Install>, suggesting a 32-bit overall system and on the other hand <64 bit install> for an overall 64-bit system.
I choosed <Install>, so I wanted to get a 32-bit system, not expecting some magic in finding a suitable kernel for my system.. :)

Additional Infos:

Oct  5 12:31:18 base-installer: info: kernel linux-image-486 usable on 686 686-bigmem amd64 486
Oct  5 12:31:18 base-installer: info: kernel linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64 usable on 686 686-bigmem amd64 486
Oct  5 12:31:18 base-installer: info: kernel linux-image-2.6.32-5-486 usable on 686 686-bigmem amd64 486
Oct  5 12:31:18 base-installer: info: kernel linux-image-2.6-amd64 usable on 686 686-bigmem amd64 486
Oct  5 12:31:18 base-installer: info: kernel linux-image-2.6-486 usable on 686 686-bigmem amd64 486
Oct  5 12:31:18 base-installer: info: Found 
kernels 'linux-image-2.6-486,linux-image-2.6-amd64,linux-image-2.6.32-5-486,linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64,linux-image-486'
Oct  5 12:31:18 base-installer: info: arch_kernel candidates: linux-image-2.6-686 linux-image-2.6-686-bigmem linux-image-2.6-amd64 linux-image-2.6-486
Oct  5 12:31:18 base-installer: info: arch_kernel: linux-image-2.6-686 (absent)
Oct  5 12:31:18 base-installer: info: arch_kernel: linux-image-2.6-686-bigmem (absent)
Oct  5 12:31:18 base-installer: info: arch_kernel: linux-image-2.6-amd64 (present)
Oct  5 12:31:18 base-installer: info: Using kernel 'linux-image-2.6-amd64'
Oct  5 12:31:19 base-installer: info: Setting do_initrd='yes'.
Oct  5 12:31:19 base-installer: info: Setting link_in_boot='no'.
Oct  5 12:31:19 base-installer: info: Available initramfs generator(s): 'initramfs-tools'

Regards, Jürgen




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#599200; Package base-installer. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 17:51:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen):
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 17:51:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #30 received at 599200@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen)
To: juergen@leibner.eu, 599200@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#599200: base-installer: Install amd64 kernel on i686 kvm guest - and fail to boot
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 13:41:08 -0400
On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 07:08:03PM +0200, Jürgen Leibner wrote:
> If there would be an addititional menu which gives one the possibility to choose such a mixed system then I would be able to choose a mixed system.
> But in this case, there is an <Install>, suggesting a 32-bit overall system and on the other hand <64 bit install> for an overall 64-bit system.
> I choosed <Install>, so I wanted to get a 32-bit system, not expecting some magic in finding a suitable kernel for my system.. :)
> 
> Additional Infos:
> 
> Oct  5 12:31:18 base-installer: info: kernel linux-image-486 usable on 686 686-bigmem amd64 486
> Oct  5 12:31:18 base-installer: info: kernel linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64 usable on 686 686-bigmem amd64 486
> Oct  5 12:31:18 base-installer: info: kernel linux-image-2.6.32-5-486 usable on 686 686-bigmem amd64 486
> Oct  5 12:31:18 base-installer: info: kernel linux-image-2.6-amd64 usable on 686 686-bigmem amd64 486
> Oct  5 12:31:18 base-installer: info: kernel linux-image-2.6-486 usable on 686 686-bigmem amd64 486
> Oct  5 12:31:18 base-installer: info: Found 
> kernels 'linux-image-2.6-486,linux-image-2.6-amd64,linux-image-2.6.32-5-486,linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64,linux-image-486'
> Oct  5 12:31:18 base-installer: info: arch_kernel candidates: linux-image-2.6-686 linux-image-2.6-686-bigmem linux-image-2.6-amd64 linux-image-2.6-486
> Oct  5 12:31:18 base-installer: info: arch_kernel: linux-image-2.6-686 (absent)
> Oct  5 12:31:18 base-installer: info: arch_kernel: linux-image-2.6-686-bigmem (absent)
> Oct  5 12:31:18 base-installer: info: arch_kernel: linux-image-2.6-amd64 (present)
> Oct  5 12:31:18 base-installer: info: Using kernel 'linux-image-2.6-amd64'
> Oct  5 12:31:19 base-installer: info: Setting do_initrd='yes'.
> Oct  5 12:31:19 base-installer: info: Setting link_in_boot='no'.
> Oct  5 12:31:19 base-installer: info: Available initramfs generator(s): 'initramfs-tools'

Most people would prefer the 64bit kernel with 32bit userspace.  I think
there is an option in expert mode to select your kernel yourself from
a list, but unless you are in expert mode you probably shouldn't care
and would tend to prefer the 64bit kernel.

-- 
Len Sorensen




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#599200; Package base-installer. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 17:54:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen):
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 17:54:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #35 received at 599200@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen)
To: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>, 599200@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#599200: base-installer: Install amd64 kernel on i686 kvm guest - and fail to boot
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 13:50:02 -0400
On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 06:27:55PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> This is the /proc/cpuinfo in the i686 kvm guest:
> 
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 2
> model name      : QEMU Virtual CPU version 0.10.0
> stepping        : 3
> cpu MHz         : 2999.338
> cache size      : 2048 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 2
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 nx lm pni hypervisor

The 'lm' flag means this system has 64bit support.  If in fact it doesn't,
then the VM is broken.  The installer did the right thing based on the
CPU feature flags.

> bogomips        : 5998.67
> clflush size    : 64
> cache_alignment : 64
> address sizes   : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
> power management:
> 
> Happy hacking,

-- 
Len Sorensen




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#599200; Package base-installer. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 18:45:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to juergen@leibner.eu:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 18:45:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #40 received at 599200@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Jürgen Leibner <juergen@leibner.eu>
To: 599200@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#599200: base-installer: Install amd64 kernel on i686 kvm guest - and fail to boot
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 20:42:18 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Tuesday 05 October 2010 19:41 Lennart Sorensen wrote:
...
>
> Most people would prefer the 64bit kernel with 32bit userspace.  I
> think there is an option in expert mode to select your kernel
> yourself from a list, but unless you are in expert mode you probably
> shouldn't care and would tend to prefer the 64bit kernel.

Yes, that is right, sure.

Additional information on the /proc/cpuinfo of the host and the guest of my virtualbox testings:

Host:
/proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 23
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T8100  @ 2.10GHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 800.000
cache size      : 3072 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 2
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm 
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 lahf_lm ida tpr_shadow vnmi 
flexpriority
bogomips        : 4189.60
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 23
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T8100  @ 2.10GHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 800.000
cache size      : 3072 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 1
cpu cores       : 2
apicid          : 1
initial apicid  : 1
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm 
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 lahf_lm ida tpr_shadow vnmi 
flexpriority
bogomips        : 4189.51
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

Guest:

/proc/cpuinfo: processor	: 0
/proc/cpuinfo: vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
/proc/cpuinfo: cpu family	: 6
/proc/cpuinfo: model		: 23
/proc/cpuinfo: model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T8100  @ 2.10GHz
/proc/cpuinfo: stepping	: 6
/proc/cpuinfo: cpu MHz		: 1983.400
/proc/cpuinfo: cache size	: 6144 KB
/proc/cpuinfo: fdiv_bug	: no
/proc/cpuinfo: hlt_bug		: no
/proc/cpuinfo: f00f_bug	: no
/proc/cpuinfo: coma_bug	: no
/proc/cpuinfo: fpu		: yes
/proc/cpuinfo: fpu_exception	: yes
/proc/cpuinfo: cpuid level	: 5
/proc/cpuinfo: wp		: yes
/proc/cpuinfo: flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx lm 
constant_tsc pni monitor ssse3 lahf_lm
/proc/cpuinfo: bogomips	: 3966.80
/proc/cpuinfo: clflush size	: 64
/proc/cpuinfo: cache_alignment	: 64
/proc/cpuinfo: address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
/proc/cpuinfo: power management:
/proc/cpuinfo: 

Hope this is usefull.

Greetings, Jürgen
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#599200; Package base-installer. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 18:51:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen):
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 18:51:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #45 received at 599200@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen)
To: juergen@leibner.eu, 599200@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#599200: base-installer: Install amd64 kernel on i686 kvm guest - and fail to boot
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 14:48:59 -0400
On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 08:42:18PM +0200, Jürgen Leibner wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 October 2010 19:41 Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> ...
> >
> > Most people would prefer the 64bit kernel with 32bit userspace.  I
> > think there is an option in expert mode to select your kernel
> > yourself from a list, but unless you are in expert mode you probably
> > shouldn't care and would tend to prefer the 64bit kernel.
> 
> Yes, that is right, sure.
> 
> Additional information on the /proc/cpuinfo of the host and the guest of my virtualbox testings:
> 
> Host:
> /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 23
> model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T8100  @ 2.10GHz
> stepping        : 6
> cpu MHz         : 800.000
> cache size      : 3072 KB
> physical id     : 0
> siblings        : 2
> core id         : 0
> cpu cores       : 2
> apicid          : 0
> initial apicid  : 0
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 10
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm 
> constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 lahf_lm ida tpr_shadow vnmi 
> flexpriority
> bogomips        : 4189.60
> clflush size    : 64
> cache_alignment : 64
> address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
> power management:
> 
> processor       : 1
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 23
> model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T8100  @ 2.10GHz
> stepping        : 6
> cpu MHz         : 800.000
> cache size      : 3072 KB
> physical id     : 0
> siblings        : 2
> core id         : 1
> cpu cores       : 2
> apicid          : 1
> initial apicid  : 1
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 10
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm 
> constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 lahf_lm ida tpr_shadow vnmi 
> flexpriority
> bogomips        : 4189.51
> clflush size    : 64
> cache_alignment : 64
> address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
> power management:
> 
> Guest:
> 
> /proc/cpuinfo: processor	: 0
> /proc/cpuinfo: vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
> /proc/cpuinfo: cpu family	: 6
> /proc/cpuinfo: model		: 23
> /proc/cpuinfo: model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T8100  @ 2.10GHz
> /proc/cpuinfo: stepping	: 6
> /proc/cpuinfo: cpu MHz		: 1983.400
> /proc/cpuinfo: cache size	: 6144 KB
> /proc/cpuinfo: fdiv_bug	: no
> /proc/cpuinfo: hlt_bug		: no
> /proc/cpuinfo: f00f_bug	: no
> /proc/cpuinfo: coma_bug	: no
> /proc/cpuinfo: fpu		: yes
> /proc/cpuinfo: fpu_exception	: yes
> /proc/cpuinfo: cpuid level	: 5
> /proc/cpuinfo: wp		: yes
> /proc/cpuinfo: flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx lm 
> constant_tsc pni monitor ssse3 lahf_lm
> /proc/cpuinfo: bogomips	: 3966.80
> /proc/cpuinfo: clflush size	: 64
> /proc/cpuinfo: cache_alignment	: 64
> /proc/cpuinfo: address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
> /proc/cpuinfo: power management:
> /proc/cpuinfo: 
> 
> Hope this is usefull.

The guest explicitly says it is a 64bit capable CPU (lm flag is present).
So it hence must work with a 64bit kernel.  A 64bit kernel should be
the best choice for a machine with those specifications, so the installer
correctly picks and installs that one.

-- 
Len Sorensen




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#599200; Package base-installer. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 21:09:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 21:09:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #50 received at 599200@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>
To: 599200@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#599200: base-installer: Install amd64 kernel on i686 kvm guest - and fail to boot
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 23:07:15 +0200
affects 599200 qemu-kvm
thanks

[Lennart Sorensen]
> The 'lm' flag means this system has 64bit support.  If in fact it
> doesn't, then the VM is broken.  The installer did the right thing
> based on the CPU feature flags.

Assuming this is true, I suggest two things are done to make sure d-i
work on 32-bits kvm guests on a lenny based kvm host.

 (1) base-installer is changed to detect 32-bits kvms and to not
     propose amd64 kernels in this situation.  Not quite sure how to
     detect 32-bit kvms.

 (2) a bug is repoted against some kvm related package, to try to get
     it to stop listing the lm CPU flag for 32-bit kvm guests.  Not
     quite sure which package it should be reported against.  Perhaps
     qemu-kvm?

I've asked the kvm maintainer to provide input in this bug, to see if
we can figure out a good way to solve it.

Happy hacking,
-- 
Petter Reinholdtsen




Added indication that 599200 affects qemu-kvm Request was from Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 21:09:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#599200; Package base-installer. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 21:42:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen):
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 21:42:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #57 received at 599200@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen)
To: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>, 599200@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#599200: base-installer: Install amd64 kernel on i686 kvm guest - and fail to boot
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 17:39:20 -0400
On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 11:07:15PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> affects 599200 qemu-kvm
> thanks
> 
> [Lennart Sorensen]
> > The 'lm' flag means this system has 64bit support.  If in fact it
> > doesn't, then the VM is broken.  The installer did the right thing
> > based on the CPU feature flags.
> 
> Assuming this is true, I suggest two things are done to make sure d-i
> work on 32-bits kvm guests on a lenny based kvm host.
> 
>  (1) base-installer is changed to detect 32-bits kvms and to not
>      propose amd64 kernels in this situation.  Not quite sure how to
>      detect 32-bit kvms.
> 
>  (2) a bug is repoted against some kvm related package, to try to get
>      it to stop listing the lm CPU flag for 32-bit kvm guests.  Not
>      quite sure which package it should be reported against.  Perhaps
>      qemu-kvm?
> 
> I've asked the kvm maintainer to provide input in this bug, to see if
> we can figure out a good way to solve it.

I suspect if you run kvm with the -cpu option you can specify what you
desire.  I believe the default is to simply match whatever the host has,
so if the host has a 64bit cpu, then the guest will too.

# kvm -cpu ?
x86           qemu64
x86           phenom
x86         core2duo
x86            kvm64
x86           qemu32
x86          coreduo
x86              486
x86          pentium
x86         pentium2
x86         pentium3
x86           athlon
x86             n270

So if you say you want a pentium3, then you should not have any 64bit
support.  The coreduo probably won't either.

I think the first 4 have 64bit support and the rest do not.

-- 
Len Sorensen




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#599200; Package base-installer. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 22:03:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 22:03:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #62 received at 599200@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>
To: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>, 599200@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#599200: base-installer: Install amd64 kernel on i686 kvm guest - and fail to boot
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 00:01:45 +0200
[Lennart Sorensen]
> I suspect if you run kvm with the -cpu option you can specify what
> you desire.  I believe the default is to simply match whatever the
> host has, so if the host has a 64bit cpu, then the guest will too.

Well, the host is using a 32-bit kernel too, so 64-bit kvm with
hardware virtualization is not really an option.

meta:/# kvm -cpu ?
x86           qemu64
x86           phenom
x86         core2duo
x86           qemu32
x86          coreduo
x86              486
x86          pentium
x86         pentium2
x86         pentium3
x86           athlon
x86             n270
meta:/#

This is the command line for the kvm instance in question:

  /usr/bin/kvm -S -M pc -m 512 -smp 1 -name pxetest
    -uuid 9b733365-92e6-6b1f-7ad6-8a4f0caf6bfc
    -monitor unix:/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/pxetest.monitor,server,nowait -boot c
    -drive file=/var/lib/libvirt/images/pxetest.img,if=ide,bus=0,unit=0,boot=on
    -drive file=/var/lib/libvirt/debian-edu-amd64-i386-DVD-squeeze-test.iso,if=ide,media=cdrom,bus=1,unit=0
    -net nic,macaddr=54:52:00:68:97:39,vlan=0,name=net0
    -net tap,fd=48,vlan=0,name=hostnet0
    -net nic,macaddr=52:54:00:04:a3:34,vlan=1,name=net1
    -net tap,fd=49,vlan=1,name=hostnet1 -serial pty -parallel none
    -usb -usbdevice tablet -vnc 127.0.0.1:6 -k en-us -vga cirrus
    -soundhw es1370

Anyone know how to detect 32-bits kvm virtual machines on a 32-bits
host on a CPU capable of running 64-bit kernels?  Can we just look at
the vendor_id, model name, cpu family and model settings and disable
amd64 as an option if these are listed:

  vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
  cpu family      : 6
  model           : 2
  model name      : QEMU Virtual CPU version 0.10.0

Happy hacking,
-- 
Petter Reinholdtsen




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#599200; Package base-installer. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 22:27:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen):
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 22:27:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #67 received at 599200@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen)
To: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>, 599200@bugs.debian.org
Cc: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Re: Bug#599200: base-installer: Install amd64 kernel on i686 kvm guest - and fail to boot
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 18:23:47 -0400
On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 12:01:45AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Lennart Sorensen]
> > I suspect if you run kvm with the -cpu option you can specify what
> > you desire.  I believe the default is to simply match whatever the
> > host has, so if the host has a 64bit cpu, then the guest will too.
> 
> Well, the host is using a 32-bit kernel too, so 64-bit kvm with
> hardware virtualization is not really an option.
> 
> meta:/# kvm -cpu ?
> x86           qemu64
> x86           phenom
> x86         core2duo
> x86           qemu32
> x86          coreduo
> x86              486
> x86          pentium
> x86         pentium2
> x86         pentium3
> x86           athlon
> x86             n270
> meta:/#
> 
> This is the command line for the kvm instance in question:
> 
>   /usr/bin/kvm -S -M pc -m 512 -smp 1 -name pxetest
>     -uuid 9b733365-92e6-6b1f-7ad6-8a4f0caf6bfc
>     -monitor unix:/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/pxetest.monitor,server,nowait -boot c
>     -drive file=/var/lib/libvirt/images/pxetest.img,if=ide,bus=0,unit=0,boot=on
>     -drive file=/var/lib/libvirt/debian-edu-amd64-i386-DVD-squeeze-test.iso,if=ide,media=cdrom,bus=1,unit=0
>     -net nic,macaddr=54:52:00:68:97:39,vlan=0,name=net0
>     -net tap,fd=48,vlan=0,name=hostnet0
>     -net nic,macaddr=52:54:00:04:a3:34,vlan=1,name=net1
>     -net tap,fd=49,vlan=1,name=hostnet1 -serial pty -parallel none
>     -usb -usbdevice tablet -vnc 127.0.0.1:6 -k en-us -vga cirrus
>     -soundhw es1370
> 
> Anyone know how to detect 32-bits kvm virtual machines on a 32-bits
> host on a CPU capable of running 64-bit kernels?  Can we just look at
> the vendor_id, model name, cpu family and model settings and disable
> amd64 as an option if these are listed:
> 
>   vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
>   cpu family      : 6
>   model           : 2
>   model name      : QEMU Virtual CPU version 0.10.0

Well try starting the kvm with '-cpu qemu32'.  That should provide the
feature flags of a nice 32bit x86.

Then see what cpu flags you get in the guest.

As for the problem that the guest sees the lm flag on a 32bit
host, that was at least a known bug last year (for example:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=481274), but I have no idea
if it has been solved yet.

-- 
Len Sorensen




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#599200; Package base-installer. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 22:57:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 22:57:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #72 received at 599200@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>
To: 599200@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#599200: base-installer: Install amd64 kernel on i686 kvm guest - and fail to boot
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 00:53:04 +0200
[Lennart Sorensen]
> Well try starting the kvm with '-cpu qemu32'.  That should provide
> the feature flags of a nice 32bit x86.

I tried  this by adding

  <cpu match='exact'>
    <model>qemu32</model>
  </cpu>

to the libvirtm XML file for the virtual machine, which caused '-cpu
qemu32' to be part of the kvm command line.  There is no GUI to add
this in virt-manager, as far as I can see, so this will be out of
reach for most users.  No idea if this give hardware virtualization or
software virtualization.  The qemu part of the model name make me
suspect the latter.

Anyway, booting the virtual machine and looking at the CPU flags in
cpuinfo, I can confirm that the lm flag is gone.  I also tried with
model=pentium3, and this too did not have the lm flag.  This solve my
imediate problem of testing the Debian Edu DVD, but do not address the
problem for the unexpecting user of kvm.

Happy hacking,
-- 
Petter Reinholdtsen




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#599200; Package base-installer. (Wed, 06 Oct 2010 00:21:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Wed, 06 Oct 2010 00:21:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #77 received at 599200@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
To: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>
Cc: 599200@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#599200: base-installer: Install amd64 kernel on i686 kvm guest - and fail to boot
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 01:15:57 +0100
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 23:07 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> affects 599200 qemu-kvm
> thanks
> 
> [Lennart Sorensen]
> > The 'lm' flag means this system has 64bit support.  If in fact it
> > doesn't, then the VM is broken.  The installer did the right thing
> > based on the CPU feature flags.
> 
> Assuming this is true, I suggest two things are done to make sure d-i
> work on 32-bits kvm guests on a lenny based kvm host.
> 
>  (1) base-installer is changed to detect 32-bits kvms and to not
>      propose amd64 kernels in this situation.  Not quite sure how to
>      detect 32-bit kvms.
> 
>  (2) a bug is repoted against some kvm related package, to try to get
>      it to stop listing the lm CPU flag for 32-bit kvm guests.  Not
>      quite sure which package it should be reported against.  Perhaps
>      qemu-kvm?
> 
> I've asked the kvm maintainer to provide input in this bug, to see if
> we can figure out a good way to solve it.

I tested both 5.0.6 and daily d-i images under a 64-bit capable host
running lenny with a 686 kernel, and the 'lm' flag was not set in either
guest.

Please specify exactly which versions of kvm/qemu-kvm and the kernel you
are running in the host, and whether you are using the kvm modules from
the linux-image-2.6.26-2-686 or built from kvm-source.

Ben.

-- 
Ben Hutchings
Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it makes it worse.
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#599200; Package base-installer. (Wed, 06 Oct 2010 14:42:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen):
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Wed, 06 Oct 2010 14:42:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #82 received at 599200@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen)
To: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>, 599200@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#599200: base-installer: Install amd64 kernel on i686 kvm guest - and fail to boot
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 10:39:17 -0400
On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 12:53:04AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Lennart Sorensen]
> > Well try starting the kvm with '-cpu qemu32'.  That should provide
> > the feature flags of a nice 32bit x86.
> 
> I tried  this by adding
> 
>   <cpu match='exact'>
>     <model>qemu32</model>
>   </cpu>
> 
> to the libvirtm XML file for the virtual machine, which caused '-cpu
> qemu32' to be part of the kvm command line.  There is no GUI to add
> this in virt-manager, as far as I can see, so this will be out of
> reach for most users.  No idea if this give hardware virtualization or
> software virtualization.  The qemu part of the model name make me
> suspect the latter.
> 
> Anyway, booting the virtual machine and looking at the CPU flags in
> cpuinfo, I can confirm that the lm flag is gone.  I also tried with
> model=pentium3, and this too did not have the lm flag.  This solve my
> imediate problem of testing the Debian Edu DVD, but do not address the
> problem for the unexpecting user of kvm.

Well it is certainly a bug in kvm.  Of course most people probably run
a 64bit kernel these days, although I suppose many don't.  kvm should
not tell the guest that the cpu supports something if kvm isn't capable
of supporting it.

-- 
Len Sorensen




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#599200; Package base-installer. (Wed, 06 Oct 2010 15:09:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Wed, 06 Oct 2010 15:09:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #87 received at 599200@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
To: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>, 599200@bugs.debian.org
Cc: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>
Subject: Re: Bug#599200: base-installer: Install amd64 kernel on i686 kvm guest - and fail to boot
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 16:03:58 +0100
On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 10:39:17AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 12:53:04AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > [Lennart Sorensen]
> > > Well try starting the kvm with '-cpu qemu32'.  That should provide
> > > the feature flags of a nice 32bit x86.
> > 
> > I tried  this by adding
> > 
> >   <cpu match='exact'>
> >     <model>qemu32</model>
> >   </cpu>
> > 
> > to the libvirtm XML file for the virtual machine, which caused '-cpu
> > qemu32' to be part of the kvm command line.  There is no GUI to add
> > this in virt-manager, as far as I can see, so this will be out of
> > reach for most users.  No idea if this give hardware virtualization or
> > software virtualization.  The qemu part of the model name make me
> > suspect the latter.
> > 
> > Anyway, booting the virtual machine and looking at the CPU flags in
> > cpuinfo, I can confirm that the lm flag is gone.  I also tried with
> > model=pentium3, and this too did not have the lm flag.  This solve my
> > imediate problem of testing the Debian Edu DVD, but do not address the
> > problem for the unexpecting user of kvm.
> 
> Well it is certainly a bug in kvm.  Of course most people probably run
> a 64bit kernel these days, although I suppose many don't.  kvm should
> not tell the guest that the cpu supports something if kvm isn't capable
> of supporting it.
 
It doesn't, at least not in my tests.  The kvm x86 initialisation code
masks lm by default in a 32-bit kernel, and kvm-qemu does so as well when
setting the flags to be exposed to the guest.  Presumably there are some
old versions that don't, but neither stable nor testing appear to have this
bug.  I've asked Petter to confirm which versions he is using.

Ben.

-- 
Ben Hutchings
We get into the habit of living before acquiring the habit of thinking.
                                                              - Albert Camus




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#599200; Package base-installer. (Wed, 06 Oct 2010 15:30:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Jan Luebbe <jluebbe@lasnet.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Wed, 06 Oct 2010 15:30:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #92 received at 599200@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Jan Luebbe <jluebbe@lasnet.de>
To: 599200@bugs.debian.org
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 16:55:18 +0200
Hi, i'm the maintainer of the qemu-kvm package and have now tried
serveral combinations:

Host with 64-bit CPU and 32bit squeeze kernel/userspace and 32bit lenny
or squeeze netinst as guest:
  lm in the host's /proc/cpuinfo but *not* in the guest's

Host with 64-bit CPU and 64bit sid kernel/userspace and 32bit lenny
netinst as guest:
  lm in *both* host's and guest's /proc/cpuinfo

Host with 64-bit CPU and 64bit sid kernel/userspace and 64bit lenny
netinst as guest:
  lm in *both* host's and guest's /proc/cpuinfo

Host with 32-bit CPU and 32bit squeeze kernel/userspace and 32bit lenny
netinst as guest:
  lm in *neither* host's nor guest's /proc/cpuinfo

Each of those cases is what I'd expect.

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote he was using Lenny's kvm:
> QEMU Virtual CPU version 0.10.0

That verion is rather old and if it is indeed broken, i don't think we
could get the cpuid fixed soon.

I'll setup a lenny machine and try it there, too.

Jan





Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#599200; Package base-installer. (Wed, 06 Oct 2010 15:45:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen):
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Wed, 06 Oct 2010 15:45:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #97 received at 599200@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen)
To: Jan Luebbe <jluebbe@lasnet.de>, 599200@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#599200:
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 11:43:15 -0400
On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 04:55:18PM +0200, Jan Luebbe wrote:
> Hi, i'm the maintainer of the qemu-kvm package and have now tried
> serveral combinations:
> 
> Host with 64-bit CPU and 32bit squeeze kernel/userspace and 32bit lenny
> or squeeze netinst as guest:
>   lm in the host's /proc/cpuinfo but *not* in the guest's
> 
> Host with 64-bit CPU and 64bit sid kernel/userspace and 32bit lenny
> netinst as guest:
>   lm in *both* host's and guest's /proc/cpuinfo
> 
> Host with 64-bit CPU and 64bit sid kernel/userspace and 64bit lenny
> netinst as guest:
>   lm in *both* host's and guest's /proc/cpuinfo
> 
> Host with 32-bit CPU and 32bit squeeze kernel/userspace and 32bit lenny
> netinst as guest:
>   lm in *neither* host's nor guest's /proc/cpuinfo
> 
> Each of those cases is what I'd expect.
> 
> Petter Reinholdtsen wrote he was using Lenny's kvm:
> > QEMU Virtual CPU version 0.10.0
> 
> That verion is rather old and if it is indeed broken, i don't think we
> could get the cpuid fixed soon.

Certainly there is a workaround of specifying -cpu qemu32.  Or upgrading
to a newer version using backports.  Or using a 64bit kernel instead on
the host.

> I'll setup a lenny machine and try it there, too.

-- 
Len Sorensen




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#599200; Package base-installer. (Thu, 07 Oct 2010 11:54:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Jan Luebbe <jluebbe@lasnet.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Thu, 07 Oct 2010 11:54:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #102 received at 599200@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Jan Luebbe <jluebbe@lasnet.de>
To: 599200@bugs.debian.org
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 13:49:53 +0200
I've also tried it on a lenny live-cd and it works fine, too...

Which versions did you use?

Jan





Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#599200; Package base-installer. (Sat, 09 Oct 2010 21:45:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Sat, 09 Oct 2010 21:45:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #107 received at 599200@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>
To: 599200@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#599200: base-installer: Install amd64 kernel on i686 kvm guest - and fail to boot
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 23:41:58 +0200
severity 599200 important
thanks

[Ben Hutchings]
> Please specify exactly which versions of kvm/qemu-kvm and the kernel you
> are running in the host, and whether you are using the kvm modules from
> the linux-image-2.6.26-2-686 or built from kvm-source.

I finally found time to have a look, and it seem that I was wrong.
The machine do not run the Lenny kvm and kernel.  It uses older
packages from backports:

  kvm 85+dfsg-4~bpo50+1
  linux-image-2.6.30-bpo.1-686 2.6.30-6~bpo50+1

I am not sure why the machine isn't using the Lenny packages, but as
Ben find that the problem do not affect the normal Lenny packages and
I am unable to confirm this or not, I reduce the severity to important
as I assume it only affect those of us with backported kernels, and
not all Lenny users.

I've implemented the workaround using cpu=pentium3, so I no longer am
affected by this problem.

Happy hacking,
-- 
Petter Reinholdtsen




Severity set to 'important' from 'grave' Request was from Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sat, 09 Oct 2010 21:45:10 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#599200; Package base-installer. (Tue, 02 Nov 2010 19:57:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Michael Tokarev <mjt@tls.msk.ru>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 02 Nov 2010 19:57:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #114 received at 599200@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Michael Tokarev <mjt@tls.msk.ru>
To: 599200@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#599200: base-installer: Install amd64 kernel on i686 kvm guest - and fail to boot
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 22:55:03 +0300
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

tags 599200 + unreproducible
thanks

I had a look at this too (strangely I didn't receive any
discussions about this issue, even if I'm subscribed to
the package).  And I can't find a combination which does
the thing wrong - when running 32bit kernel, lm mode is
always masked in guest even if the host is capable of
running 64bit code.  When running 64bit host kernel and
32bit kvm userland it correctly shows lm flag and 64bit
guest actually works.

Tagging this as "unreproducible" for now.  Meanwhile I'll
try to find kvm-85 package - if it will show the problem
behavour, let's close this bug as invalid - that version
is gone long time ago.

Thanks!

/mjt
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)

iJwEAQECAAYFAkzQbJcACgkQUlPFrXTwyDjj6AQAobRraAUb/mKNJa+snwrMN9BJ
JvoZ6KOYoj1dSmN23q3nSza6zl1uwZh64hnM8mFqz+Mwde9eG+2Hxe+a+lTaxcTo
lFIffgrVl2x1yms27013/PN/MsbO6yAqUIAHkZ2ZoerswvIjR9B2qOz9Ad0pQcNf
br3CTEZyk50Ln/CbWoM=
=Zurz
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----




Added tag(s) unreproducible. Request was from Michael Tokarev <mjt@tls.msk.ru> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Tue, 02 Nov 2010 19:57:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Reply sent to Michael Tokarev <mjt@tls.msk.ru>:
You have taken responsibility. (Tue, 18 Dec 2012 07:45:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. (Tue, 18 Dec 2012 07:45:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #121 received at 599200-done@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Michael Tokarev <mjt@tls.msk.ru>
To: 599200-done@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Bug#599200: base-installer: Install amd64 kernel on i686 kvm guest - and fail to boot
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 11:43:48 +0400
Version: 1:0.12.5+dfsg-5

Closing this bugreport now, at least the squeeze
version of qemu-kvm (0.12.5) handles the lm CPU
flag correctly.

Thanks,

/mjt



No longer marked as found in versions base-installer/1.110. Request was from Andreas Beckmann <anbe@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Fri, 01 Nov 2013 22:34:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Sat, 30 Nov 2013 07:25:31 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Wed Apr 23 09:00:29 2014; Machine Name: beach.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.