Debian Bug report logs - #598880
unblock: gdm3/2.30.5-3

Package: release.debian.org; Maintainer for release.debian.org is Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>;

Reported by: Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>

Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 18:36:02 UTC

Severity: normal

Done: Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#598880; Package release.debian.org. (Sat, 02 Oct 2010 18:36:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>. (Sat, 02 Oct 2010 18:36:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>
To: submit@bugs.debian.org
Subject: unblock: gdm3/2.30.5-3
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 20:33:03 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Package: release.debian.org
Severity: normal
User: release.debian.org@packages.debian.org
Usertags: freeze-exception

Hi,

last but not least (for today), I’m asking for an unblock of gdm3.

gdm3 (2.30.5-3) unstable; urgency=low

  [ Josselin Mouette ]
  * pt_BR.po: new Brazilian Portuguese translation by Sérgio Cipolla.
    Closes: #597669.
  * 26_username_escape.patch: stolen in upstream git (2.30 branch). Fix 
    escaping in the user list.

  [ Luca Bruno ]
  * 13_gdmsetup.patch: refresh and fix user-manager loading according
    to upstream changes. Closes: #598034.

gdm3 (2.30.5-2) unstable; urgency=low

  * 03_ipv6.patch: new patch from Julien Cristau, thanks a lot for 
    investigating! Fix an allocation error that leads to passing garbage 
    as addresses.
    Add to that a stripping of ::ffff: from IPv4 mapped addresses, since 
    this is not understood in $DISPLAY.
    Closes: #579033.
  * 11_no_xhost_thanks.patch: new patch. Drops the very suspicious xhost 
    authentication that is set in the login window. In addition to 
    questioning the security, it interacts badly with the Xephyr patch.
  * 11_xephyr_nested.patch: re-enabled.
    + Updated to apply cleanly.
    + Modified to not affect the logic of 19_configure_xserver.patch.
    + Handle the upgrade situation, where the IsNested method does not 
      exist on the daemon yet.
    + Don’t pass a vtX argument to nested servers.
    + Start the nested server with an authorization that is accessible 
      to the user that launches it. Add another authorization for 
      Debian-gdm later. The implication is that the parent user has 
      access to the nested display. Which is, well, completely 
      unimportant since it already owns the server process.
    + Set GDM_PARENT_{DISPLAY,XAUTHORITY} so that the keymap is set in 
      the nested display as well.
    + Put back in place the code that keeps a connection open to the X 
      server, it is necessary for proper setting of the keyboard map.
    + Rework the xkb setting in the Init script. Passing model/layout/
      variant/options seems to work better than keymap/types/compat/…
    + Pass GDM_PARENT_DISPLAY to the greeter session too.
    + In the greeter panel, display only a "Quit" element when 
      GDM_PARENT_DISPLAY is set. Call the session manager to force a 
      logout when pressed.
  * debian/po-up/*.po:
    + Add translations for the Quit and Disconnect strings from gdm 
      2.20.11.
  * Install the gdmflexiserver-xnest.desktop file.
  * Recommend x11-xkb-utils for xkbcomp.
  * 19_configure_xserver.patch:
    + Updated to apply cleanly.
    + Add the ability to configure the nested X server command.
  * 20_endsession_respawn.patch: don’t respawn nested X servers.
  * 22_noconsole.patch: refreshed.
  * 14_pam_dialog.patch: show messages from PAM in a dialog so that the 
    user can actually see them.
  * Remove debian/TODO, yay!

gdm3 (2.30.5-1) unstable; urgency=low

  * greeter.gconf-defaults: disable the power management icon, it allows 
    to change the power management settings. Closes: #580629.
  * 25_xdmcpfill_length.patch, 26_xdmcp_fill.patch: stolen upstream. 
    Correctly initialize XdmcpFill. Closes: #579033.
  * 03_authdir.patch: drop, it’s useless since we override it again with 
    a make argument.
  * Use linux-any wildcard instead of listing non-linux architectures.
  * Bump standards version accordingly.
  * New upstream translation and bugfix release.
  * 08_frequent-users_greeter.patch, 09_default_session.patch, 
    18_switch_kill_greeter.patch, 20_endsession_respawn.patch, 
    21_schemas_usr.patch, 24_show_user_other.patch: refreshed.
  * 14_bindv6only.patch, 25_xdmcpfill_length.patch, 
    26_xdmcpfill_length.patch: dropped, merged upstream.
  * 08_frequent-users_greeter.patch: updated to not mark users as logged 
    on if they are not logged on using GDM (e.g. console sessions).
  * 13_gdmsetup.patch: update gui/Makefile.am accordingly to upstream 
    changes.
  * 25_upower.patch: stolen from upstream git. Use directly upower-glib 
    instead of devkit-power-gobject. Closes: #595087.
  * Update build-dependencies accordingly.
  * 90_relibtoolize.patch: regenerated for the new version.


The Debian changes are fairly large, yet they are small compared to the
upstream ones between 2.30.2 and 2.30.3 - even though done in a pure
maintenance branch. I’m afraid that tells a lot about this code’s
reliability :/

I used the 2.30.5 version as a base for fixing the remaining regressions
from gdm, which are now (AFAICT) all solved. I’d like to avoid
backporting this daunting work to 2.30.2, and I wouldn’t ship gdm3 in
squeeze without some of the changes here (especially the XDMCP, IPv6 and
xhost related ones). 

Cheers,
-- 
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :
`. `'  “If you behave this way because you are blackmailed by someone,
  `-    […] I will see what I can do for you.”  -- Jörg Schilling
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#598880; Package release.debian.org. (Sun, 03 Oct 2010 11:03:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>. (Sun, 03 Oct 2010 11:03:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 598880@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>
To: Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>, 598880@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#598880: unblock: gdm3/2.30.5-3
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 12:59:11 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Sat, Oct  2, 2010 at 20:33:03 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> last but not least (for today), I’m asking for an unblock of gdm3.
> 
Didn't that have a window focus issue?

Cheers,
Julien
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#598880; Package release.debian.org. (Sun, 03 Oct 2010 11:39:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>. (Sun, 03 Oct 2010 11:39:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 598880@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>
To: 598880@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#598880: unblock: gdm3/2.30.5-3
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 13:34:58 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Le dimanche 03 octobre 2010 à 12:59 +0200, Julien Cristau a écrit : 
> On Sat, Oct  2, 2010 at 20:33:03 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> 
> > last but not least (for today), I’m asking for an unblock of gdm3.
> > 
> Didn't that have a window focus issue?

Yes, this bug is still here. I don’t think it should prevent migration,
but we’re working on it anyway.

-- 
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :
`. `'  “If you behave this way because you are blackmailed by someone,
  `-    […] I will see what I can do for you.”  -- Jörg Schilling
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#598880; Package release.debian.org. (Mon, 04 Oct 2010 13:27:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>. (Mon, 04 Oct 2010 13:27:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 598880@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>
To: Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>, 598880@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#598880: unblock: gdm3/2.30.5-3
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 15:26:51 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Sat, Oct  2, 2010 at 20:33:03 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> gdm3 (2.30.5-3) unstable; urgency=low
> 
>   [ Josselin Mouette ]
>   * pt_BR.po: new Brazilian Portuguese translation by Sérgio Cipolla.
>     Closes: #597669.
>   * 26_username_escape.patch: stolen in upstream git (2.30 branch). Fix 
>     escaping in the user list.
> 
>   [ Luca Bruno ]
>   * 13_gdmsetup.patch: refresh and fix user-manager loading according
>     to upstream changes. Closes: #598034.
> 
> gdm3 (2.30.5-2) unstable; urgency=low
> 
>   * 03_ipv6.patch: new patch from Julien Cristau, thanks a lot for 
>     investigating! Fix an allocation error that leads to passing garbage 
>     as addresses.
>     Add to that a stripping of ::ffff: from IPv4 mapped addresses, since 
>     this is not understood in $DISPLAY.
>     Closes: #579033.
>   * 11_no_xhost_thanks.patch: new patch. Drops the very suspicious xhost 
>     authentication that is set in the login window. In addition to 
>     questioning the security, it interacts badly with the Xephyr patch.

How does this interact with environments which change the hostname based
on dhcp?

>   * 11_xephyr_nested.patch: re-enabled.
>     + Updated to apply cleanly.
>     + Modified to not affect the logic of 19_configure_xserver.patch.
>     + Handle the upgrade situation, where the IsNested method does not 
>       exist on the daemon yet.
>     + Don’t pass a vtX argument to nested servers.
>     + Start the nested server with an authorization that is accessible 
>       to the user that launches it. Add another authorization for 
>       Debian-gdm later. The implication is that the parent user has 
>       access to the nested display. Which is, well, completely 
>       unimportant since it already owns the server process.
>     + Set GDM_PARENT_{DISPLAY,XAUTHORITY} so that the keymap is set in 
>       the nested display as well.
>     + Put back in place the code that keeps a connection open to the X 
>       server, it is necessary for proper setting of the keyboard map.
>     + Rework the xkb setting in the Init script. Passing model/layout/
>       variant/options seems to work better than keymap/types/compat/…

That script makes me cringe.  If your goal is to have the same keymap in
the nested server as in the host, then run 'xkbcomp $GDM_PARENT_DISPLAY
$NEW_DISPLAY'?

>     + Pass GDM_PARENT_DISPLAY to the greeter session too.
>     + In the greeter panel, display only a "Quit" element when 
>       GDM_PARENT_DISPLAY is set. Call the session manager to force a 
>       logout when pressed.
>   * debian/po-up/*.po:
>     + Add translations for the Quit and Disconnect strings from gdm 
>       2.20.11.
>   * Install the gdmflexiserver-xnest.desktop file.
>   * Recommend x11-xkb-utils for xkbcomp.
>   * 19_configure_xserver.patch:
>     + Updated to apply cleanly.
>     + Add the ability to configure the nested X server command.
>   * 20_endsession_respawn.patch: don’t respawn nested X servers.
>   * 22_noconsole.patch: refreshed.
>   * 14_pam_dialog.patch: show messages from PAM in a dialog so that the 
>     user can actually see them.
>   * Remove debian/TODO, yay!
> 
> gdm3 (2.30.5-1) unstable; urgency=low
> 
>   * greeter.gconf-defaults: disable the power management icon, it allows 
>     to change the power management settings. Closes: #580629.
>   * 25_xdmcpfill_length.patch, 26_xdmcp_fill.patch: stolen upstream. 
>     Correctly initialize XdmcpFill. Closes: #579033.
>   * 03_authdir.patch: drop, it’s useless since we override it again with 
>     a make argument.
>   * Use linux-any wildcard instead of listing non-linux architectures.
>   * Bump standards version accordingly.
>   * New upstream translation and bugfix release.
>   * 08_frequent-users_greeter.patch, 09_default_session.patch, 
>     18_switch_kill_greeter.patch, 20_endsession_respawn.patch, 
>     21_schemas_usr.patch, 24_show_user_other.patch: refreshed.
>   * 14_bindv6only.patch, 25_xdmcpfill_length.patch, 
>     26_xdmcpfill_length.patch: dropped, merged upstream.
>   * 08_frequent-users_greeter.patch: updated to not mark users as logged 
>     on if they are not logged on using GDM (e.g. console sessions).
>   * 13_gdmsetup.patch: update gui/Makefile.am accordingly to upstream 
>     changes.
>   * 25_upower.patch: stolen from upstream git. Use directly upower-glib 
>     instead of devkit-power-gobject. Closes: #595087.
>   * Update build-dependencies accordingly.
>   * 90_relibtoolize.patch: regenerated for the new version.
> 
> 
> The Debian changes are fairly large, yet they are small compared to the
> upstream ones between 2.30.2 and 2.30.3 - even though done in a pure
> maintenance branch. I’m afraid that tells a lot about this code’s
> reliability :/
> 
> I used the 2.30.5 version as a base for fixing the remaining regressions
> from gdm, which are now (AFAICT) all solved. I’d like to avoid
> backporting this daunting work to 2.30.2, and I wouldn’t ship gdm3 in
> squeeze without some of the changes here (especially the XDMCP, IPv6 and
> xhost related ones). 
> 
I'm not reviewing most of the upstream greeter changes, that would
require more time than I have available to get familiar with the APIs, I
guess I'll just have to hope they're working.

Cheers,
Julien
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#598880; Package release.debian.org. (Mon, 04 Oct 2010 14:21:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>. (Mon, 04 Oct 2010 14:21:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #25 received at 598880@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>
To: 598880@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#598880: unblock: gdm3/2.30.5-3
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 16:19:34 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Le lundi 04 octobre 2010 à 15:26 +0200, Julien Cristau a écrit : 
> >   * 11_no_xhost_thanks.patch: new patch. Drops the very suspicious xhost 
> >     authentication that is set in the login window. In addition to 
> >     questioning the security, it interacts badly with the Xephyr patch.
> 
> How does this interact with environments which change the hostname based
> on dhcp?

Badly, of course. Such environments are the reason why this code was
introduced upstream. If someone familiar with X authentication code can
assure me that it is safe, I can rework the 11_xephyr_nested.patch so
that it can work together with it.

However, gdm3 is the only display manager to do that. Without this code,
you have to handle hostname changes just like with other display
managers, as documented in many places. (It’s a matter of calling xhost
add with the new hostname.)

In all cases, I strongly disagree with the way upstream chose to work
around the problem of hostname changes. If it has to be handled, it
should be done with a hook in /etc/network/if-up.d instead.

> >     + Rework the xkb setting in the Init script. Passing model/layout/
> >       variant/options seems to work better than keymap/types/compat/…
> 
> That script makes me cringe.  If your goal is to have the same keymap in
> the nested server as in the host, then run 'xkbcomp $GDM_PARENT_DISPLAY
> $NEW_DISPLAY'?

xkbcomp was my first attempt when I noticed the upstream script didn’t
work anymore. However it made either xkbcomp or the Xephyr process
crash, depending on the invocation, so I gave up and tried several
approaches, retaining the only one that worked. (I have no idea why the
others don’t.) The help of X gurus would be appreciated, but I
understand they are busy reviewing gigantic patches that inconsiderate
people drop in their face :)

Cheers,
-- 
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :
`. `'  “If you behave this way because you are blackmailed by someone,
  `-    […] I will see what I can do for you.”  -- Jörg Schilling
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#598880; Package release.debian.org. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 22:42:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 05 Oct 2010 22:42:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #30 received at 598880@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>
To: 598880@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#598880: unblock: gdm3/2.30.5-3
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 00:39:01 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Le dimanche 03 octobre 2010 à 12:59 +0200, Julien Cristau a écrit : 
> On Sat, Oct  2, 2010 at 20:33:03 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> 
> > last but not least (for today), I’m asking for an unblock of gdm3.
> > 
> Didn't that have a window focus issue?

This one is fixed in 2.30.5-4, together with a handful of other bugs. 

I’ll have a look at the xkbcomp issue… later… when I have another
evening to spend on that.

Cheers,
-- 
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :
`. `'  “If you behave this way because you are blackmailed by someone,
  `-    […] I will see what I can do for you.”  -- Jörg Schilling
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Reply sent to Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>:
You have taken responsibility. (Wed, 06 Oct 2010 16:57:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. (Wed, 06 Oct 2010 16:57:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #35 received at 598880-done@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>
To: Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>, 598880-done@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#598880: unblock: gdm3/2.30.5-3
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 18:53:48 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Wed, Oct  6, 2010 at 00:39:01 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Le dimanche 03 octobre 2010 à 12:59 +0200, Julien Cristau a écrit : 
> > On Sat, Oct  2, 2010 at 20:33:03 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > 
> > > last but not least (for today), I’m asking for an unblock of gdm3.
> > > 
> > Didn't that have a window focus issue?
> 
> This one is fixed in 2.30.5-4, together with a handful of other bugs. 
> 
\o/

> I’ll have a look at the xkbcomp issue… later… when I have another
> evening to spend on that.
> 
Unblocked the current version, we'll see about that stuff later.

Cheers,
Julien
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Thu, 04 Nov 2010 07:36:00 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Sun Apr 20 03:56:58 2014; Machine Name: buxtehude.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.