Debian Bug report logs - #595271
gedit crash when saving empty file

version graph

Package: gedit; Maintainer for gedit is Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>; Source for gedit is src:gedit.

Reported by: Mathieu Malaterre <malat@debian.org>

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 16:21:01 UTC

Severity: important

Tags: wontfix

Found in version gedit/2.22.3-1+lenny1

Done: Mathieu Malaterre <malat@debian.org>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#595271; Package gedit. (Thu, 02 Sep 2010 16:21:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Thu, 02 Sep 2010 16:21:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: gedit crash when saving empty file
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 18:20:20 +0200
Package: gedit
Version: 2.22.3-1+lenny1
Severity: important


hi

gedit crashes when user click save with default empty file.

steps to reproduce:
$ gedit
click save

this should lead to:
#0  0x00007ffff7de4dcc in open_path (name=<value optimized out>, namelen=<value optimized out>, preloaded=<value optimized out>, sps=<value optimized out>, 
    realname=<value optimized out>, fbp=<value optimized out>, loader=0x7ffff7ff49b8, whatcode=2, found_other_class=0x7fffffffc37f) at dl-load.c:1946
#1  0x00007ffff7de66fb in _dl_map_object (loader=0x7ffff7ffce20, name=0x9d3570 "libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", preloaded=<value optimized out>, type=<value optimized out>, 
    trace_mode=<value optimized out>, mode=-1879048191, nsid=0) at dl-load.c:2082
#2  0x00007ffff7df0bbf in dl_open_worker (a=<value optimized out>) at dl-open.c:254
#3  0x00007ffff7dec5b6 in _dl_catch_error (objname=<value optimized out>, errstring=<value optimized out>, mallocedp=<value optimized out>, operate=<value optimized out>, 
    args=<value optimized out>) at dl-error.c:178
#4  0x00007ffff7df05da in _dl_open (file=0x9d3570 "libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", mode=-2147483647, caller_dlopen=0x7ffff50fab79, nsid=-2, argc=1, argv=0x0, 
    env=0x7fffffffe7b8) at dl-open.c:583
#5  0x00007ffff4132f66 in dlopen_doit (a=<value optimized out>) at dlopen.c:67
#6  0x00007ffff7dec5b6 in _dl_catch_error (objname=<value optimized out>, errstring=<value optimized out>, mallocedp=<value optimized out>, operate=<value optimized out>, 
    args=<value optimized out>) at dl-error.c:178
#7  0x00007ffff41332ec in _dlerror_run (operate=0x7ffff4132f00 <dlopen_doit>, args=0x7fffffffc7b0) at dlerror.c:164
#8  0x00007ffff4132ee1 in __dlopen (file=<value optimized out>, mode=<value optimized out>) at dlopen.c:88
#9  0x00007ffff50fab79 in g_module_open () from /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0
#10 0x00007ffff6bf138b in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#11 0x00007ffff6996639 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#12 0x00007ffff6a17545 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#13 0x00007ffff6a17596 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#14 0x00007ffff4ec56e1 in g_object_newv () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#15 0x00007ffff4ec63ac in g_object_new () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#16 0x00007ffff6a1cb95 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#17 0x00007ffff4ec56e1 in g_object_newv () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#18 0x00007ffff4ec63ac in g_object_new () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#19 0x00007ffff6a18a31 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#20 0x00007ffff4ec56e1 in g_object_newv () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#21 0x00007ffff4ec614d in g_object_new_valist () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#22 0x00007ffff4ec6391 in g_object_new () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#23 0x00000000004385ce in gedit_file_chooser_dialog_new ()
#24 0x000000000042b0d1 in ?? ()
#25 0x00007ffff4ebf47e in g_closure_invoke () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#26 0x00007ffff4ed5407 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#27 0x00007ffff4ed6a86 in g_signal_emit_valist () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#28 0x00007ffff4ed6fd3 in g_signal_emit () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#29 0x00007ffff69a0263 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#30 0x00007ffff6b34b59 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#31 0x00007ffff4ebf47e in g_closure_invoke () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#32 0x00007ffff4ed5407 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#33 0x00007ffff4ed6a86 in g_signal_emit_valist () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#34 0x00007ffff4ed6fd3 in g_signal_emit () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#35 0x00007ffff69ba82d in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#36 0x00007ffff4ebf47e in g_closure_invoke () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#37 0x00007ffff4ed4cd1 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#38 0x00007ffff4ed6a86 in g_signal_emit_valist () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#39 0x00007ffff4ed6fd3 in g_signal_emit () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#40 0x00007ffff69b94bd in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0

thanks

-- System Information:
Debian Release: 5.0.5
  APT prefers stable
  APT policy: (500, 'stable'), (200, 'testing'), (100, 'unstable')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.32-bpo.5-amd64 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash

Versions of packages gedit depends on:
ii  gconf2                  2.22.0-1         GNOME configuration database syste
ii  gedit-common            2.22.3-1+lenny1  official text editor of the GNOME 
ii  iso-codes               3.5.1-1          ISO language, territory, currency,
ii  libatk1.0-0             1.30.0-1         The ATK accessibility toolkit
ii  libattr1                1:2.4.43-2       Extended attribute shared library
ii  libc6                   2.11.1-3         Embedded GNU C Library: Shared lib
ii  libcairo2               1.8.8-2~bpo50+1  The Cairo 2D vector graphics libra
ii  libenchant1c2a          1.4.2-3.3        a wrapper library for various spel
ii  libgconf2-4             2.22.0-1         GNOME configuration database syste
ii  libglade2-0             1:2.6.2-1        library to load .glade files at ru
ii  libglib2.0-0            2.24.0-1         The GLib library of C routines
ii  libgnome2-0             2.20.1.1-1       The GNOME 2 library - runtime file
ii  libgnomeui-0            2.20.1.1-2       The GNOME 2 libraries (User Interf
ii  libgnomevfs2-0          1:2.22.0-5       GNOME Virtual File System (runtime
ii  libgtk2.0-0             2.18.6-1~bpo50+1 The GTK+ graphical user interface 
ii  libgtksourceview2.0-0   2.2.2-1          shared libraries for the GTK+ synt
ii  libpango1.0-0           1.20.5-5         Layout and rendering of internatio
ii  libx11-6                2:1.3.3-1        X11 client-side library
ii  libxml2                 2.7.6.dfsg-2+b1  GNOME XML library
ii  python                  2.5.4-9          An interactive high-level object-o
ii  python-glade2           2.12.1-6         GTK+ bindings: Glade support
ii  python-gobject          2.14.2-2         Python bindings for the GObject li
ii  python-gtk2             2.12.1-6         Python bindings for the GTK+ widge
ii  python-gtksourceview2   2.2.0-1+b1       Python bindings for the GtkSourceV
ii  python-support          1.0.3~bpo50+1    automated rebuilding support for P
ii  python2.5               2.5.5-6          An interactive high-level object-o
ii  rarian-compat [scrollke 0.8.1-1          Rarian is a documentation meta-dat

Versions of packages gedit recommends:
ii  libgnomevfs2-bin              1:2.22.0-5 GNOME Virtual File System (support
ii  python-gnome2                 2.22.0-1   Python bindings for the GNOME desk
ii  zenity                        2.22.1-2   Display graphical dialog boxes fro

gedit suggests no packages.

-- no debconf information




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#595271; Package gedit. (Sun, 05 Sep 2010 15:09:11 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to 595271@bugs.debian.org:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Sun, 05 Sep 2010 15:09:12 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 595271@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>
To: Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>, 595271@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#595271: gedit crash when saving empty file
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2010 17:08:44 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Le jeudi 02 septembre 2010 à 18:20 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre a écrit :
> Version: 2.22.3-1+lenny1

> #4  0x00007ffff7df05da in _dl_open (file=0x9d3570 "libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", mode=-2147483647, caller_dlopen=0x7ffff50fab79, nsid=-2, argc=1, argv=0x0, 
>     env=0x7fffffffe7b8) at dl-open.c:583

Where does that libtracker-client-0.7.so.0 file come from? It is not the
tracker version in lenny.

Cheers,
-- 
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :
`. `'  “If you behave this way because you are blackmailed by someone,
  `-    […] I will see what I can do for you.”  -- Jörg Schilling
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#595271; Package gedit. (Sun, 05 Sep 2010 15:48:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Sun, 05 Sep 2010 15:48:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 595271@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>
To: 595271@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#595271: gedit crash when saving empty file
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 17:44:32 +0200
On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 5:08 PM, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
> Le jeudi 02 septembre 2010 à 18:20 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre a écrit :
>> Version: 2.22.3-1+lenny1
>
>> #4  0x00007ffff7df05da in _dl_open (file=0x9d3570 "libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", mode=-2147483647, caller_dlopen=0x7ffff50fab79, nsid=-2, argc=1, argv=0x0,
>>     env=0x7fffffffe7b8) at dl-open.c:583
>
> Where does that libtracker-client-0.7.so.0 file come from? It is not the
> tracker version in lenny.

Here is what I find on my system:

$ cd /usr/lib
$ grep libtracker-client-0.7.so.0 *
Binary file libgtk-x11-2.0.a matches
Binary file libgtk-x11-2.0.so matches
Binary file libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 matches
Binary file libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1800.6 matches
$ dlocate libgtk-x11-2.0.so
libgtk2.0-0: /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1800.6
libgtk2.0-0: /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
$ apt-cache policy libgtk2.0-0
libgtk2.0-0:
  Installed: 2.18.6-1~bpo50+1
  Candidate: 2.18.6-1~bpo50+1
  Version table:
     2.21.7-1 0
         -1 http://ftp.fr.debian.org experimental/main Packages
     2.20.1-1 0
        200 http://ftp.fr.debian.org testing/main Packages
        100 http://ftp.fr.debian.org unstable/main Packages
 *** 2.18.6-1~bpo50+1 0
        600 http://www.backports.org lenny-backports/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.12.12-1~lenny2 0
        500 http://ftp.fr.debian.org lenny/main Packages


let me know if you need anything else.

thanks
-- 
Mathieu




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#595271; Package gedit. (Sun, 05 Sep 2010 16:40:54 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to 595271@bugs.debian.org:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Sun, 05 Sep 2010 16:40:54 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 595271@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>
To: Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>, 595271@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#595271: gedit crash when saving empty file
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2010 18:40:24 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Le dimanche 05 septembre 2010 à 17:44 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre a écrit :
> > Where does that libtracker-client-0.7.so.0 file come from? It is not the
> > tracker version in lenny.
> 
> Here is what I find on my system:
> 
> $ cd /usr/lib
> $ grep libtracker-client-0.7.so.0 *
> $ dlocate libgtk-x11-2.0.so
> $ apt-cache policy libgtk2.0-0

> let me know if you need anything else.

Well, I wonder where that file comes from. You must have installed it
locally in /usr/local/lib since it is not shipped in lenny.

-- 
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :
`. `'  “If you behave this way because you are blackmailed by someone,
  `-    […] I will see what I can do for you.”  -- Jörg Schilling
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#595271; Package gedit. (Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:33:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:33:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #25 received at 595271@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>
To: 595271@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#595271: gedit crash when saving empty file
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 16:28:07 +0200
On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 6:40 PM, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
> Le dimanche 05 septembre 2010 à 17:44 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre a écrit :
>> > Where does that libtracker-client-0.7.so.0 file come from? It is not the
>> > tracker version in lenny.
>>
>> Here is what I find on my system:
>>
>> $ cd /usr/lib
>> $ grep libtracker-client-0.7.so.0 *
>> $ dlocate libgtk-x11-2.0.so
>> $ apt-cache policy libgtk2.0-0
>
>> let me know if you need anything else.
>
> Well, I wonder where that file comes from. You must have installed it
> locally in /usr/local/lib since it is not shipped in lenny.

No. There is no libtracker-client-0.7.so.0 on my system. Here what
strace reveals:

...
writev(16, [{"l\1\1\1V\0\0\0\4\0\0\0\177\0\0\0\1\1o\0\25\0\0\0/org/fre"...,
144}, {"Q\0\0\0sender='org.gtk.vfs.Daemon',"..., 86}], 2) = 230
writev(16, [{"l\1\1\1X\0\0\0\5\0\0\0\177\0\0\0\1\1o\0\25\0\0\0/org/fre"...,
144}, {"S\0\0\0sender='org.gtk.vfs.Daemon',"..., 88}], 2) = 232
open("/home/mathieu/.gtk-bookmarks", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such
file or directory)
stat("libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", 0x7fffeb481900) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)
stat("libtracker-client-0.7.so.0.so", 0x7fffeb481900) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)
stat("libtracker-client-0.7.so.0.la", 0x7fffeb481900) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/tls/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT
(No such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)
open("/lib/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such
file or directory)
open("/home/mathieu/local/lib/tls/x86_64/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0",
O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat("/home/mathieu/local/lib/tls/x86_64", 0x7fffeb4810a0) = -1 ENOENT
(No such file or directory)
open("/home/mathieu/local/lib/tls/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0",
O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat("/home/mathieu/local/lib/tls", 0x7fffeb4810a0) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)
open("/home/mathieu/local/lib/x86_64/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0",
O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat("/home/mathieu/local/lib/x86_64", 0x7fffeb4810a0) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)
open("/home/mathieu/local/lib/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", O_RDONLY) =
-1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat("/home/mathieu/local/lib", 0x7fffeb4810a0) = -1 ENOENT (No such
file or directory)
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
+++ killed by SIGSEGV +++

What I do not understand is the following:

$ strings /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0|grep libtrac
libtracker-client-0.7.so.0
libtrackerclient.so.0
libtracker.so.0
Missing symbol '%s' in libtracker

but:

 $ ldd /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0|grep libtrac
-> nothing !

Thanks
-- 
Mathieu




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#595271; Package gedit. (Thu, 16 Sep 2010 16:51:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to 595271@bugs.debian.org:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Thu, 16 Sep 2010 16:51:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #30 received at 595271@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>
To: Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>, 595271@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#595271: gedit crash when saving empty file
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:47:56 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Le jeudi 16 septembre 2010 à 16:28 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre a écrit : 
> No. There is no libtracker-client-0.7.so.0 on my system. Here what
> strace reveals:
> 
> ...
> writev(16, [{"l\1\1\1V\0\0\0\4\0\0\0\177\0\0\0\1\1o\0\25\0\0\0/org/fre"...,
> 144}, {"Q\0\0\0sender='org.gtk.vfs.Daemon',"..., 86}], 2) = 230
> writev(16, [{"l\1\1\1X\0\0\0\5\0\0\0\177\0\0\0\1\1o\0\25\0\0\0/org/fre"...,
> 144}, {"S\0\0\0sender='org.gtk.vfs.Daemon',"..., 88}], 2) = 232
> open("/home/mathieu/.gtk-bookmarks", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such
> file or directory)
> stat("libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", 0x7fffeb481900) = -1 ENOENT (No
> such file or directory)
> stat("libtracker-client-0.7.so.0.so", 0x7fffeb481900) = -1 ENOENT (No
> such file or directory)
> stat("libtracker-client-0.7.so.0.la", 0x7fffeb481900) = -1 ENOENT (No
> such file or directory)
> open("/usr/lib/tls/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT
> (No such file or directory)
> open("/usr/lib/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No
> such file or directory)
> open("/lib/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such
> file or directory)
> open("/home/mathieu/local/lib/tls/x86_64/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0",
> O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> stat("/home/mathieu/local/lib/tls/x86_64", 0x7fffeb4810a0) = -1 ENOENT
> (No such file or directory)
> open("/home/mathieu/local/lib/tls/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0",
> O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> stat("/home/mathieu/local/lib/tls", 0x7fffeb4810a0) = -1 ENOENT (No
> such file or directory)
> open("/home/mathieu/local/lib/x86_64/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0",
> O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> stat("/home/mathieu/local/lib/x86_64", 0x7fffeb4810a0) = -1 ENOENT (No
> such file or directory)
> open("/home/mathieu/local/lib/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", O_RDONLY) =
> -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> stat("/home/mathieu/local/lib", 0x7fffeb4810a0) = -1 ENOENT (No such
> file or directory)
> --- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
> +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++

Ah, so it doesn’t manage to open it at all.

It looks like the following code is only called in case a RPATH exists
in the binary (which is the case for gedit on amd64).

#0  0x00007ffff7de4dcc in open_path (name=<value optimized out>, namelen=<value optimized out>, preloaded=<value optimized out>, sps=<value optimized out>, 
    realname=<value optimized out>, fbp=<value optimized out>, loader=0x7ffff7ff49b8, whatcode=2, found_other_class=0x7fffffffc37f) at dl-load.c:1946
#1  0x00007ffff7de66fb in _dl_map_object (loader=0x7ffff7ffce20, name=0x9d3570 "libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", preloaded=<value optimized out>, type=<value optimized out>, 
    trace_mode=<value optimized out>, mode=-1879048191, nsid=0) at dl-load.c:2082

#0 looks like it is trying to free the memory area from which the RPATH
comes, incorrectly thinking it is allocated. Which means this could well
be a glibc bug.

And here we come to the glibc version you have installed on your
system: 
ii  libc6                   2.11.1-3         Embedded GNU C Library: Shared lib

This version doesn’t come from either of lenny nor squeeze/sid. Could
you please try again with the one from squeeze?

Thanks,
-- 
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :
`. `'  “If you behave this way because you are blackmailed by someone,
  `-    […] I will see what I can do for you.”  -- Jörg Schilling
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#595271; Package gedit. (Thu, 16 Sep 2010 17:18:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Thu, 16 Sep 2010 17:18:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #35 received at 595271@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>
To: 595271@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#595271: gedit crash when saving empty file
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 19:14:47 +0200
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 6:47 PM, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
> Le jeudi 16 septembre 2010 à 16:28 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre a écrit :
>> No. There is no libtracker-client-0.7.so.0 on my system. Here what
>> strace reveals:
>>
>> ...
>> writev(16, [{"l\1\1\1V\0\0\0\4\0\0\0\177\0\0\0\1\1o\0\25\0\0\0/org/fre"...,
>> 144}, {"Q\0\0\0sender='org.gtk.vfs.Daemon',"..., 86}], 2) = 230
>> writev(16, [{"l\1\1\1X\0\0\0\5\0\0\0\177\0\0\0\1\1o\0\25\0\0\0/org/fre"...,
>> 144}, {"S\0\0\0sender='org.gtk.vfs.Daemon',"..., 88}], 2) = 232
>> open("/home/mathieu/.gtk-bookmarks", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such
>> file or directory)
>> stat("libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", 0x7fffeb481900) = -1 ENOENT (No
>> such file or directory)
>> stat("libtracker-client-0.7.so.0.so", 0x7fffeb481900) = -1 ENOENT (No
>> such file or directory)
>> stat("libtracker-client-0.7.so.0.la", 0x7fffeb481900) = -1 ENOENT (No
>> such file or directory)
>> open("/usr/lib/tls/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT
>> (No such file or directory)
>> open("/usr/lib/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No
>> such file or directory)
>> open("/lib/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such
>> file or directory)
>> open("/home/mathieu/local/lib/tls/x86_64/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0",
>> O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
>> stat("/home/mathieu/local/lib/tls/x86_64", 0x7fffeb4810a0) = -1 ENOENT
>> (No such file or directory)
>> open("/home/mathieu/local/lib/tls/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0",
>> O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
>> stat("/home/mathieu/local/lib/tls", 0x7fffeb4810a0) = -1 ENOENT (No
>> such file or directory)
>> open("/home/mathieu/local/lib/x86_64/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0",
>> O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
>> stat("/home/mathieu/local/lib/x86_64", 0x7fffeb4810a0) = -1 ENOENT (No
>> such file or directory)
>> open("/home/mathieu/local/lib/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", O_RDONLY) =
>> -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
>> stat("/home/mathieu/local/lib", 0x7fffeb4810a0) = -1 ENOENT (No such
>> file or directory)
>> --- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
>> +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++
>
> Ah, so it doesn’t manage to open it at all.
>
> It looks like the following code is only called in case a RPATH exists
> in the binary (which is the case for gedit on amd64).
>
> #0  0x00007ffff7de4dcc in open_path (name=<value optimized out>, namelen=<value optimized out>, preloaded=<value optimized out>, sps=<value optimized out>,
>    realname=<value optimized out>, fbp=<value optimized out>, loader=0x7ffff7ff49b8, whatcode=2, found_other_class=0x7fffffffc37f) at dl-load.c:1946
> #1  0x00007ffff7de66fb in _dl_map_object (loader=0x7ffff7ffce20, name=0x9d3570 "libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", preloaded=<value optimized out>, type=<value optimized out>,
>    trace_mode=<value optimized out>, mode=-1879048191, nsid=0) at dl-load.c:2082
>
> #0 looks like it is trying to free the memory area from which the RPATH
> comes, incorrectly thinking it is allocated. Which means this could well
> be a glibc bug.
>
> And here we come to the glibc version you have installed on your
> system:
> ii  libc6                   2.11.1-3         Embedded GNU C Library: Shared lib
>
> This version doesn’t come from either of lenny nor squeeze/sid. Could
> you please try again with the one from squeeze?

sudo apt-get install libc6
...

I can still get the crash:

writev(16, [{"l\1\1\1X\0\0\0\5\0\0\0\177\0\0\0\1\1o\0\25\0\0\0/org/fre"...,
144}, {"S\0\0\0sender='org.gtk.vfs.Daemon',"..., 88}], 2) = 232
open("/home/mathieu/.gtk-bookmarks", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such
file or directory)
stat("libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", 0x7ffff54fc1d0) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)
stat("libtracker-client-0.7.so.0.so", 0x7ffff54fc1d0) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)
stat("libtracker-client-0.7.so.0.la", 0x7ffff54fc1d0) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/tls/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT
(No such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)
open("/lib/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such
file or directory)
open("/home/mathieu/local/lib/tls/x86_64/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0",
O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat("/home/mathieu/local/lib/tls/x86_64", 0x7ffff54fb970) = -1 ENOENT
(No such file or directory)
open("/home/mathieu/local/lib/tls/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0",
O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat("/home/mathieu/local/lib/tls", 0x7ffff54fb970) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)
open("/home/mathieu/local/lib/x86_64/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0",
O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat("/home/mathieu/local/lib/x86_64", 0x7ffff54fb970) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)
open("/home/mathieu/local/lib/libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", O_RDONLY) =
-1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat("/home/mathieu/local/lib", 0x7ffff54fb970) = -1 ENOENT (No such
file or directory)
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
+++ killed by SIGSEGV +++
[1]    1273 segmentation fault  strace gedit

and system is now:

ii  gconf2                  2.22.0-1         GNOME configuration database syste
ii  gedit-common            2.22.3-1+lenny1  official text editor of the GNOME
ii  iso-codes               3.5.1-1          ISO language, territory, currency,
ii  libatk1.0-0             1.30.0-1         The ATK accessibility toolkit
ii  libattr1                1:2.4.43-2       Extended attribute shared library
ii  libc6                   2.11.2-5         Embedded GNU C Library: Shared lib
ii  libcairo2               1.8.8-2~bpo50+1  The Cairo 2D vector graphics libra
ii  libenchant1c2a          1.4.2-3.3        a wrapper library for various spel
ii  libgconf2-4             2.22.0-1         GNOME configuration database syste
ii  libglade2-0             1:2.6.2-1        library to load .glade files at ru
ii  libglib2.0-0            2.24.0-1         The GLib library of C routines
ii  libgnome2-0             2.20.1.1-1       The GNOME 2 library - runtime file
ii  libgnomeui-0            2.20.1.1-2       The GNOME 2 libraries (User Interf
ii  libgnomevfs2-0          1:2.22.0-5       GNOME Virtual File System (runtime
ii  libgtk2.0-0             2.18.6-1~bpo50+1 The GTK+ graphical user interface
ii  libgtksourceview2.0-0   2.2.2-1          shared libraries for the GTK+ synt
ii  libpango1.0-0           1.20.5-5         Layout and rendering of internatio
ii  libx11-6                2:1.3.3-1        X11 client-side library
ii  libxml2                 2.7.6.dfsg-2+b1  GNOME XML library
ii  python                  2.5.4-9          An interactive high-level object-o
ii  python-glade2           2.12.1-6         GTK+ bindings: Glade support
ii  python-gobject          2.14.2-2         Python bindings for the GObject li
ii  python-gtk2             2.12.1-6         Python bindings for the GTK+ widge
ii  python-gtksourceview2   2.2.0-1+b1       Python bindings for the GtkSourceV
ii  python-support          1.0.3~bpo50+1    automated rebuilding support for P
ii  python2.5               2.5.5-6          An interactive high-level object-o
ii  rarian-compat [scrollke 0.8.1-1          Rarian is a documentation meta-dat

Thanks again

-- 
Mathieu




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#595271; Package gedit. (Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:03:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to 595271@bugs.debian.org:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:03:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #40 received at 595271@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>
To: Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>, 595271@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#595271: gedit crash when saving empty file
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 19:58:46 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Le jeudi 16 septembre 2010 à 19:14 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre a écrit : 
> sudo apt-get install libc6
> ...
> 
> I can still get the crash:

Could you paste the new backtrace? I’d like to see where exactly.

Cheers,
-- 
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :
`. `'  “If you behave this way because you are blackmailed by someone,
  `-    […] I will see what I can do for you.”  -- Jörg Schilling
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#595271; Package gedit. (Thu, 16 Sep 2010 19:57:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Thu, 16 Sep 2010 19:57:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #45 received at 595271@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>
To: 595271@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#595271: gedit crash when saving empty file
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 21:54:28 +0200
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 7:58 PM, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
> Le jeudi 16 septembre 2010 à 19:14 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre a écrit :
>> sudo apt-get install libc6
>> ...
>>
>> I can still get the crash:
>
> Could you paste the new backtrace? I’d like to see where exactly.

Here it is:

(gdb) r
Starting program: /usr/bin/gedit
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00007ffff7de4e0c in open_path (name=<value optimized out>,
namelen=<value optimized out>, preloaded=<value optimized out>,
sps=<value optimized out>,
    realname=<value optimized out>, fbp=<value optimized out>,
loader=0x7ffff7ff49b8, whatcode=2, found_other_class=0x7fffffffc31f)
at dl-load.c:1946
1946    dl-load.c: No such file or directory.
        in dl-load.c
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007ffff7de4e0c in open_path (name=<value optimized out>,
namelen=<value optimized out>, preloaded=<value optimized out>,
sps=<value optimized out>,
    realname=<value optimized out>, fbp=<value optimized out>,
loader=0x7ffff7ff49b8, whatcode=2, found_other_class=0x7fffffffc31f)
at dl-load.c:1946
#1  0x00007ffff7de673b in _dl_map_object (loader=0x7ffff7ffce20,
name=0xa37fa0 "libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", preloaded=<value optimized
out>, type=<value optimized out>,
    trace_mode=<value optimized out>, mode=-1879048191, nsid=0) at
dl-load.c:2082
#2  0x00007ffff7df0bef in dl_open_worker (a=<value optimized out>) at
dl-open.c:254
#3  0x00007ffff7dec5e6 in _dl_catch_error (objname=<value optimized
out>, errstring=<value optimized out>, mallocedp=<value optimized
out>, operate=<value optimized out>,
    args=<value optimized out>) at dl-error.c:178
#4  0x00007ffff7df060a in _dl_open (file=0xa37fa0
"libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", mode=-2147483647,
caller_dlopen=0x7ffff50fab79, nsid=-2, argc=1, argv=0x0,
    env=0x7fffffffe758) at dl-open.c:583
#5  0x00007ffff4132f66 in dlopen_doit (a=<value optimized out>) at dlopen.c:67
#6  0x00007ffff7dec5e6 in _dl_catch_error (objname=<value optimized
out>, errstring=<value optimized out>, mallocedp=<value optimized
out>, operate=<value optimized out>,
    args=<value optimized out>) at dl-error.c:178
#7  0x00007ffff41332ec in _dlerror_run (operate=0x7ffff4132f00
<dlopen_doit>, args=0x7fffffffc750) at dlerror.c:164
#8  0x00007ffff4132ee1 in __dlopen (file=<value optimized out>,
mode=<value optimized out>) at dlopen.c:88
#9  0x00007ffff50fab79 in g_module_open () from /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0
#10 0x00007ffff6bf138b in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#11 0x00007ffff6996639 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#12 0x00007ffff6a17545 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#13 0x00007ffff6a17596 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#14 0x00007ffff4ec56e1 in g_object_newv () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#15 0x00007ffff4ec63ac in g_object_new () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#16 0x00007ffff6a1cb95 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#17 0x00007ffff4ec56e1 in g_object_newv () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#18 0x00007ffff4ec63ac in g_object_new () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#19 0x00007ffff6a18a31 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#20 0x00007ffff4ec56e1 in g_object_newv () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#21 0x00007ffff4ec614d in g_object_new_valist () from
/usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#22 0x00007ffff4ec6391 in g_object_new () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#23 0x00000000004385ce in gedit_file_chooser_dialog_new ()
#24 0x000000000042b0d1 in ?? ()
#25 0x00007ffff4ebf47e in g_closure_invoke () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#26 0x00007ffff4ed5407 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#27 0x00007ffff4ed6a86 in g_signal_emit_valist () from
/usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#28 0x00007ffff4ed6fd3 in g_signal_emit () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#29 0x00007ffff69a0263 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#30 0x00007ffff6b34b59 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#31 0x00007ffff4ebf47e in g_closure_invoke () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#32 0x00007ffff4ed5407 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#33 0x00007ffff4ed6a86 in g_signal_emit_valist () from
/usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#34 0x00007ffff4ed6fd3 in g_signal_emit () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#35 0x00007ffff69ba82d in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#36 0x00007ffff4ebf47e in g_closure_invoke () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#37 0x00007ffff4ed4cd1 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#38 0x00007ffff4ed6a86 in g_signal_emit_valist () from
/usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#39 0x00007ffff4ed6fd3 in g_signal_emit () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#40 0x00007ffff69b94bd in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
#41 0x00007ffff6a6b9b8 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#42 0x00007ffff4ebf47e in g_closure_invoke () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#43 0x00007ffff4ed5050 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#44 0x00007ffff4ed68cd in g_signal_emit_valist () from
/usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#45 0x00007ffff4ed6fd3 in g_signal_emit () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#46 0x00007ffff6b77bae in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#47 0x00007ffff6a63ef3 in gtk_propagate_event () from
/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#48 0x00007ffff6a6501b in gtk_main_do_event () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#49 0x00007ffff6386afc in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
#50 0x00007ffff4c146c2 in g_main_context_dispatch () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#51 0x00007ffff4c18538 in ?? () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#52 0x00007ffff4c18a45 in g_main_loop_run () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#53 0x00007ffff6a65427 in gtk_main () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#54 0x000000000042891c in main ()


Thanks again !
-- 
Mathieu




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#595271; Package gedit. (Thu, 16 Sep 2010 20:06:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Thu, 16 Sep 2010 20:06:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #50 received at 595271@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>
To: 595271@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#595271: gedit crash when saving empty file
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 22:03:05 +0200
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Mathieu Malaterre
<mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 7:58 PM, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
>> Le jeudi 16 septembre 2010 à 19:14 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre a écrit :
>>> sudo apt-get install libc6
>>> ...
>>>
>>> I can still get the crash:
>>
>> Could you paste the new backtrace? I’d like to see where exactly.
>

If this is of any importance, I can run gedit using valgrind, in this
case I do not get a crash:

$ valgrind --db-attach=yes gedit
==3144== Memcheck, a memory error detector
==3144== Copyright (C) 2002-2010, and GNU GPL'd, by Julian Seward et al.
==3144== Using Valgrind-3.6.0.SVN-Debian and LibVEX; rerun with -h for
copyright info
==3144== Command: gedit
==3144==
==3144== Conditional jump or move depends on uninitialised value(s)
==3144==    at 0xC282290: inflateReset2 (in /usr/lib/libz.so.1.2.3.4)
==3144==    by 0xC28237F: inflateInit2_ (in /usr/lib/libz.so.1.2.3.4)
==3144==    by 0xC27BC86: ??? (in /usr/lib/libz.so.1.2.3.4)
==3144==    by 0x63430B5: ??? (in /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2.7.6)
==3144==    by 0x6342AA7: __xmlParserInputBufferCreateFilename (in
/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2.7.6)
==3144==    by 0x63C7114: xmlNewTextReaderFilename (in
/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2.7.6)
==3144==    by 0x7490765: ??? (in /usr/lib/libgnomevfs-2.so.0.2200.0)
==3144==    by 0x7490CCC: gnome_vfs_mime_get_value (in
/usr/lib/libgnomevfs-2.so.0.2200.0)
==3144==    by 0x444DF9: _gedit_tab_get_tooltips (in /usr/bin/gedit)
==3144==    by 0x46A02C: ??? (in /usr/bin/gedit)
==3144==    by 0x46A869: gedit_notebook_add_tab (in /usr/bin/gedit)
==3144==    by 0x44EBCC: gedit_window_create_tab (in /usr/bin/gedit)
==3144==
==3144==
==3144== ---- Attach to debugger ? --- [Return/N/n/Y/y/C/c] ----
==3144==
==3144== HEAP SUMMARY:
==3144==     in use at exit: 3,373,253 bytes in 31,410 blocks
==3144==   total heap usage: 206,835 allocs, 175,425 frees, 24,348,423
bytes allocated
==3144==
==3144== LEAK SUMMARY:
==3144==    definitely lost: 86,140 bytes in 285 blocks
==3144==    indirectly lost: 144,282 bytes in 4,441 blocks
==3144==      possibly lost: 1,922,261 bytes in 12,901 blocks
==3144==    still reachable: 1,220,570 bytes in 13,783 blocks
==3144==         suppressed: 0 bytes in 0 blocks
==3144== Rerun with --leak-check=full to see details of leaked memory
==3144==
==3144== For counts of detected and suppressed errors, rerun with: -v
==3144== Use --track-origins=yes to see where uninitialised values come from
==3144== ERROR SUMMARY: 1 errors from 1 contexts (suppressed: 20 from 8)

-- 
Mathieu




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#595271; Package gedit. (Thu, 16 Sep 2010 20:51:11 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to 595271@bugs.debian.org:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Thu, 16 Sep 2010 20:51:11 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #55 received at 595271@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>
To: Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>, 595271@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#595271: gedit crash when saving empty file
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 22:48:35 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Le jeudi 16 septembre 2010 à 21:54 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre a écrit : 
> #0  0x00007ffff7de4e0c in open_path (name=<value optimized out>,
> namelen=<value optimized out>, preloaded=<value optimized out>,
> sps=<value optimized out>,
>     realname=<value optimized out>, fbp=<value optimized out>,
> loader=0x7ffff7ff49b8, whatcode=2, found_other_class=0x7fffffffc31f)
> at dl-load.c:1946
> #1  0x00007ffff7de673b in _dl_map_object (loader=0x7ffff7ffce20,
> name=0xa37fa0 "libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", preloaded=<value optimized
> out>, type=<value optimized out>,
>     trace_mode=<value optimized out>, mode=-1879048191, nsid=0) at
> dl-load.c:2082

OK so this is not related to the RPATH, but to LD_LIBRARY_PATH. What is
the contents of this environment variable for you?

Cheers,
-- 
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :
`. `'  “If you behave this way because you are blackmailed by someone,
  `-    […] I will see what I can do for you.”  -- Jörg Schilling
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#595271; Package gedit. (Fri, 17 Sep 2010 06:33:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Fri, 17 Sep 2010 06:33:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #60 received at 595271@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>
To: 595271@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#595271: gedit crash when saving empty file
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 08:29:29 +0200
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 10:48 PM, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
> Le jeudi 16 septembre 2010 à 21:54 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre a écrit :
>> #0  0x00007ffff7de4e0c in open_path (name=<value optimized out>,
>> namelen=<value optimized out>, preloaded=<value optimized out>,
>> sps=<value optimized out>,
>>     realname=<value optimized out>, fbp=<value optimized out>,
>> loader=0x7ffff7ff49b8, whatcode=2, found_other_class=0x7fffffffc31f)
>> at dl-load.c:1946
>> #1  0x00007ffff7de673b in _dl_map_object (loader=0x7ffff7ffce20,
>> name=0xa37fa0 "libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", preloaded=<value optimized
>> out>, type=<value optimized out>,
>>     trace_mode=<value optimized out>, mode=-1879048191, nsid=0) at
>> dl-load.c:2082
>
> OK so this is not related to the RPATH, but to LD_LIBRARY_PATH. What is
> the contents of this environment variable for you?

Nice ! That is exactly that !

Step to reproduce:

# assuming /foobar/bla does not exist on your system
$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/foobar/bla
$ gedit

if I unset the env var, gedit works as expected !

-- 
Mathieu




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>:
Bug#595271; Package gedit. (Fri, 17 Sep 2010 06:48:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>. (Fri, 17 Sep 2010 06:48:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #65 received at 595271@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>
To: Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>, 595271@bugs.debian.org
Cc: debian-glibc@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#595271: gedit crash when saving empty file
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 08:45:40 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Le vendredi 17 septembre 2010 à 08:29 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre a
écrit : 
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 10:48 PM, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
> > Le jeudi 16 septembre 2010 à 21:54 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre a écrit :
> >> #0  0x00007ffff7de4e0c in open_path (name=<value optimized out>,
> >> namelen=<value optimized out>, preloaded=<value optimized out>,
> >> sps=<value optimized out>,
> >>     realname=<value optimized out>, fbp=<value optimized out>,
> >> loader=0x7ffff7ff49b8, whatcode=2, found_other_class=0x7fffffffc31f)
> >> at dl-load.c:1946
> >> #1  0x00007ffff7de673b in _dl_map_object (loader=0x7ffff7ffce20,
> >> name=0xa37fa0 "libtracker-client-0.7.so.0", preloaded=<value optimized
> >> out>, type=<value optimized out>,
> >>     trace_mode=<value optimized out>, mode=-1879048191, nsid=0) at
> >> dl-load.c:2082
> >
> > OK so this is not related to the RPATH, but to LD_LIBRARY_PATH. What is
> > the contents of this environment variable for you?
> 
> Nice ! That is exactly that !
> 
> Step to reproduce:
> 
> # assuming /foobar/bla does not exist on your system
> $ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/foobar/bla
> $ gedit

Well it’s not as simply reproducible as that, since in recent GTK+
versions the code to load libtracker has changed.

However I’m very surprised that glibc can crash this way just because of
a wrong LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I’m CCing the glibc maintainers; maybe they can
confirm whether this is an actual bug in recent eglibc.

Cheers,
-- 
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :
`. `'  “If you behave this way because you are blackmailed by someone,
  `-    […] I will see what I can do for you.”  -- Jörg Schilling
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Changed Bug submitter to 'Mathieu Malaterre <malat@debian.org>' from 'Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>' Request was from Mathieu Malaterre <malat@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Wed, 28 Mar 2012 13:54:38 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Added tag(s) wontfix. Request was from Mathieu Malaterre <malat@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Wed, 30 Oct 2013 16:27:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Reply sent to Mathieu Malaterre <malat@debian.org>:
You have taken responsibility. (Wed, 30 Oct 2013 16:27:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to Mathieu Malaterre <malat@debian.org>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. (Wed, 30 Oct 2013 16:27:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #74 received at 595271-done@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Mathieu Malaterre <malat@debian.org>
To: 595271-done@bugs.debian.org, Control bugs server <control@bugs.debian.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 17:25:03 +0100
tags 595271 wontfix
thanks

Cannot reproduce anymore. Closing.



Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Thu, 28 Nov 2013 07:30:16 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Sat Apr 19 23:50:08 2014; Machine Name: buxtehude.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.