Debian Bug report logs - #587058
RM: clamav/0.96.1+dfsg-1

Package: release.debian.org; Maintainer for release.debian.org is Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>;

Reported by: Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm@debian.org>

Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 21:21:01 UTC

Severity: normal

Tags: squeeze

Done: Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#587058; Package release.debian.org. (Thu, 24 Jun 2010 21:21:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm@debian.org>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>. (Thu, 24 Jun 2010 21:21:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm@debian.org>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: RM: clamav/0.96.1+dfsg-1
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 23:19:38 +0200
Package: release.debian.org
Severity: normal
User: release.debian.org@packages.debian.org
Usertags: rm

Please remove the following packages from testing for the
"support clamav in volatile-only" changes: 

c-icap 20080706rc3-2
gurlchecker 0.13-1
klamav 0.46-3
php-clamav 0.15.3
nautilus-clamscan 0.2.2-2
python-clamav 0.4.1-1.1
clamav 0.96.1+dfsg-1
dansguardian 2.10.1.1-2

The other packages are packages next to clamav are linking 
currently linking against libclamav or executing it directly.
Bugs have been filed for these packages some time ago. They will
either be uploaded to volatile as well (e.g. for the binding
packages).

Cheers,
        Moritz

-- System Information:
Debian Release: squeeze/sid
  APT prefers unstable
  APT policy: (500, 'unstable')
Architecture: i386 (i686)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.32-5-686 (SMP w/1 CPU core)
Locale: LANG=C, LC_CTYPE=de_DE.ISO-8859-15@euro (charmap=ISO-8859-15)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#587058; Package release.debian.org. (Tue, 29 Jun 2010 21:33:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Alexander Wirt <formorer@formorer.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 29 Jun 2010 21:33:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 587058@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Alexander Wirt <formorer@formorer.de>
To: Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm@debian.org>, 587058@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#587058: RM: clamav/0.96.1+dfsg-1
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 23:31:37 +0200
Moritz Muehlenhoff schrieb am Thursday, den 24. June 2010:

> Package: release.debian.org
> Severity: normal
> User: release.debian.org@packages.debian.org
> Usertags: rm
> 
> Please remove the following packages from testing for the
> "support clamav in volatile-only" changes: 
> 
> c-icap 20080706rc3-2
> gurlchecker 0.13-1
> klamav 0.46-3
> php-clamav 0.15.3
> nautilus-clamscan 0.2.2-2
> python-clamav 0.4.1-1.1
> clamav 0.96.1+dfsg-1
> dansguardian 2.10.1.1-2
I don't think I want dansguardian only in volatile and to be honest its new
to me that it is planned so. I'll think about removing clamav support. 

Alex





Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#587058; Package release.debian.org. (Tue, 29 Jun 2010 21:39:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Alexander Wirt <formorer@formorer.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 29 Jun 2010 21:39:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 587058@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Alexander Wirt <formorer@formorer.de>
To: Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm@debian.org>, 587058@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#587058: RM: clamav/0.96.1+dfsg-1
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 23:34:34 +0200
Alexander Wirt schrieb am Tuesday, den 29. June 2010:

> Moritz Muehlenhoff schrieb am Thursday, den 24. June 2010:
> 
> > Package: release.debian.org
> > Severity: normal
> > User: release.debian.org@packages.debian.org
> > Usertags: rm
> > 
> > Please remove the following packages from testing for the
> > "support clamav in volatile-only" changes: 
> > 
> > c-icap 20080706rc3-2
> > gurlchecker 0.13-1
> > klamav 0.46-3
> > php-clamav 0.15.3
> > nautilus-clamscan 0.2.2-2
> > python-clamav 0.4.1-1.1
> > clamav 0.96.1+dfsg-1
> > dansguardian 2.10.1.1-2
> I don't think I want dansguardian only in volatile and to be honest its new
> to me that it is planned so. I'll think about removing clamav support. 
Ah maybe I choosed the wrong word, I didn't realized the consequences. 

Alex





Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#587058; Package release.debian.org. (Mon, 02 Aug 2010 17:12:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Neil McGovern <neilm@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>.

Your message did not contain a Subject field. They are recommended and useful because the title of a $gBug is determined using this field. Please remember to include a Subject field in your messages in future.

(Mon, 02 Aug 2010 17:12:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.


Message #20 received at 587058@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Neil McGovern <neilm@debian.org>
To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Cc: 587058@bugs.debian.org, debian-release@bugs.debian.org
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 17:30:19 +0100
pkg-clamav-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Bcc: 
Subject: ClamAV supportability in stable releases
Reply-To: 

Hi,

The release team have been asked to remove ClamAV from testing (and
hence the next stable release. See bug #587058.

The issue seems to be that it's not supportable in stable due to the
upstream maintainers deciding to upgrade their data files in a way that
isn't binary compatable with previous versions.

A couple of options have been mentioned for what to do with this,
including volatile. I'm opening this mail thread for discussion, and if
no one comments then I'll go ahead and action the bug report in two
weeks. For avoidance of doubt, this will also affect reverse
depends, see dd-list below.

Thanks,
Neil
(Release team hat)

Daniel Leidert (dale) <daniel.leidert@wgdd.de>
   gurlchecker

Argos <argos66@gmail.com>
   php-clamav

ClamAV Team <pkg-clamav-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
   clamav-unofficial-sigs
   clamsmtp
   libclamunrar

Debian Python Modules Team <python-modules-team@lists.alioth.debian.org>
   pyclamd

C├ędric Delfosse <cedric@debian.org>
   python-clamav

Robert S. Edmonds <edmonds@debian.org>
   clamassassin

Jochen Friedrich <jochen@scram.de>
   c-icap

Thomas Goirand <thomas@goirand.fr>
   dtc

Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org>
   libclamunrar (U)

Marc Haber <mh+debian-packages@zugschlus.de>
   clamav-getfiles

Scott Kitterman <scott@kitterman.com>
   klamav

Rene Mayrhofer <rene.mayrhofer@gibraltar.at>
   havp

Michael Meskes <meskes@debian.org>
   clamsmtp (U)

David Paleino <dapal@debian.org>
   clamtk

Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals <rainct@ubuntu.com>
   pyclamd (U)

Michael Tautschnig <mt@debian.org>
   libclamunrar (U)

Alexander Wirt <formorer@debian.org>
   dansguardian

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org>
   clamav-unofficial-sigs (U)
-- 
< linuxpoet> rails is a perversion
< mc> someone who use pgsql as calculator shouldnt talk of perversion.




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#587058; Package release.debian.org. (Mon, 02 Aug 2010 19:33:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>. (Mon, 02 Aug 2010 19:33:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #25 received at 587058@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org>
To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org, 587058@bugs.debian.org, debian-release@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Unidentified subject!
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 15:28:38 -0400
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
(keeping everything CC'ed...dunno if that's what's expected)

Quoting Neil McGovern (neilm@debian.org):
> pkg-clamav-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
> Bcc: 
> Subject: ClamAV supportability in stable releases
> Reply-To: 
> 
> Hi,
> 
> The release team have been asked to remove ClamAV from testing (and
> hence the next stable release. See bug #587058.
> 
> The issue seems to be that it's not supportable in stable due to the
> upstream maintainers deciding to upgrade their data files in a way that
> isn't binary compatable with previous versions.
> 
> A couple of options have been mentioned for what to do with this,
> including volatile. I'm opening this mail thread for discussion, and if
> no one comments then I'll go ahead and action the bug report in two
> weeks. For avoidance of doubt, this will also affect reverse
> depends, see dd-list below.


How about keeping it in the archive and maybe use some method (debconf
note, for instance: everybody knows I hate them but that would be a
good use case) to notify users that they really should add volatile to
their sources.list. The package could even provide an optional entry
added to sources.list.d that would point to volatile.

This way, users could still "easily" find clamav, packages could still
depend on it....and we would have a method for providing a support
path.

Anothe option would be a relaxed update policy for Stable, maybe only
for clamav (I would love to see the same relaxed update policy for
other stuff, samba coming to mind...bu tthat's another story).


[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#587058; Package release.debian.org. (Wed, 08 Sep 2010 11:36:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Michael Tautschnig <mt@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>. (Wed, 08 Sep 2010 11:36:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #30 received at 587058@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Michael Tautschnig <mt@debian.org>
To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org, 587058@bugs.debian.org, debian-release@bugs.debian.org, pkg-clamav-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Subject: ClamAV supportability in stable release (was: Unidentified subject!)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 13:32:58 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Hi all,

(Dared to fix CC/Subject which seemed to be somewhat broken in initial email.)

> The release team have been asked to remove ClamAV from testing (and
> hence the next stable release. See bug #587058.
> 
> The issue seems to be that it's not supportable in stable due to the
> upstream maintainers deciding to upgrade their data files in a way that
> isn't binary compatable with previous versions.
> 
> A couple of options have been mentioned for what to do with this,
> including volatile. I'm opening this mail thread for discussion, and if
> no one comments then I'll go ahead and action the bug report in two
> weeks. For avoidance of doubt, this will also affect reverse
> depends, see dd-list below.
> 

[...]

Has there been feedback other than Christian's idea of adding a
kind-of-transitional package? Speaking as clamav maintainer, we'll happily
continue to upload to unstable, and if migration to testing (and stable) is
permitted - so be it, but the volatile-path seems to be a lot more promising and
future-proof. That said, the clamav ABI/API is surely stabilizing and hence
users of clamav packages from stable might be better off than before. But
there's no guarantee that they really get all the latest&greatest detection
capabilities. 

One clear volatile-only advantage is added cleanliness: No need to mess around
with different versions that actually are the same packages, and it just feels a
lot better if we can have a package in volatile only, and not in unstable as
well.

Best,
Michael

[Message part 2 (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#587058; Package release.debian.org. (Wed, 08 Sep 2010 11:36:10 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Michael Tautschnig <mt@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Release Team <debian-release@lists.debian.org>. (Wed, 08 Sep 2010 11:36:10 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #35 received at 587058@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Michael Tautschnig <mt@debian.org>
To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org, 587058@bugs.debian.org, debian-release@lists.debian.org, pkg-clamav-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Subject: Re: ClamAV supportability in stable release (was: Unidentified subject!)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 13:34:46 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Sorry, debian-release@bugs.d.o really doesn't exist...

> Hi all,
> 
> (Dared to fix CC/Subject which seemed to be somewhat broken in initial email.)
> 
> > The release team have been asked to remove ClamAV from testing (and
> > hence the next stable release. See bug #587058.
> > 
> > The issue seems to be that it's not supportable in stable due to the
> > upstream maintainers deciding to upgrade their data files in a way that
> > isn't binary compatable with previous versions.
> > 
> > A couple of options have been mentioned for what to do with this,
> > including volatile. I'm opening this mail thread for discussion, and if
> > no one comments then I'll go ahead and action the bug report in two
> > weeks. For avoidance of doubt, this will also affect reverse
> > depends, see dd-list below.
> > 
> 
> [...]
> 
> Has there been feedback other than Christian's idea of adding a
> kind-of-transitional package? Speaking as clamav maintainer, we'll happily
> continue to upload to unstable, and if migration to testing (and stable) is
> permitted - so be it, but the volatile-path seems to be a lot more promising and
> future-proof. That said, the clamav ABI/API is surely stabilizing and hence
> users of clamav packages from stable might be better off than before. But
> there's no guarantee that they really get all the latest&greatest detection
> capabilities. 
> 
> One clear volatile-only advantage is added cleanliness: No need to mess around
> with different versions that actually are the same packages, and it just feels a
> lot better if we can have a package in volatile only, and not in unstable as
> well.
> 
> Best,
> Michael
> 


[Message part 2 (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Added tag(s) squeeze. Request was from Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Tue, 02 Nov 2010 14:06:12 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Reply sent to Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>:
You have taken responsibility. (Tue, 02 Nov 2010 16:27:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm@debian.org>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. (Tue, 02 Nov 2010 16:27:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #42 received at 587058-done@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>
To: Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm@debian.org>, 587058-done@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#587058: RM: clamav/0.96.1+dfsg-1
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 17:24:53 +0100
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 23:19:38 +0200, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:

> Package: release.debian.org
> Severity: normal
> User: release.debian.org@packages.debian.org
> Usertags: rm
> 
> Please remove the following packages from testing for the
> "support clamav in volatile-only" changes: 
> 
AIUI clamav will stay in squeeze and get updated through volatile and/or
security, so no need to keep this removal request.  Closing.

Cheers,
Julien
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Wed, 01 Dec 2010 07:34:18 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Sat Apr 19 01:06:01 2014; Machine Name: beach.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.