Debian Bug report logs - #567939
No way to display routing table

version graph

Package: freebsd-net-tools; Maintainer for freebsd-net-tools is GNU/kFreeBSD Maintainers <debian-bsd@lists.debian.org>; Source for freebsd-net-tools is src:freebsd-utils.

Reported by: Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>

Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 11:06:04 UTC

Severity: important

Found in version freebsd-utils/8.0-2

Fixed in version 8.2+ds2-10

Done: Robert Millan <rmh@debian.org>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, GNU/kFreeBSD Maintainers <debian-bsd@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#567939; Package freebsd-net-tools. (Mon, 01 Feb 2010 11:06:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to GNU/kFreeBSD Maintainers <debian-bsd@lists.debian.org>. (Mon, 01 Feb 2010 11:06:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>
To: submit@bugs.debian.org
Subject: No way to display routing table
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 12:02:35 +0100
Package: freebsd-net-tools
Version: 8.0-2
Severity: important

Both netstat and route fail on squeeze with a 7.2 kernel ("route:
writing to routing socket: Invalid argument" and "netstat: kvm_read:
Bad address").

I think you need to package kernel-specific versions of these tools.




Information stored :
Bug#567939; Package freebsd-net-tools. (Mon, 01 Feb 2010 11:54:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Axel Beckert <abe@deuxchevaux.org>:
Extra info received and filed, but not forwarded. (Mon, 01 Feb 2010 11:54:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 567939-quiet@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Axel Beckert <abe@deuxchevaux.org>
To: Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>, 567939-quiet@bugs.debian.org
Cc: debian-bsd@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#567939: No way to display routing table
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 12:52:44 +0100
Hi,

Florian Weimer schrieb am Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 12:02:35PM +0100:
> Package: freebsd-net-tools
> Version: 8.0-2
> Severity: important
> 
> Both netstat and route fail on squeeze with a 7.2 kernel ("route:
> writing to routing socket: Invalid argument" and "netstat: kvm_read:
> Bad address").
> 
> I think you need to package kernel-specific versions of these tools.

They are there. route is just a (currently too) simple wrapper around
/lib/freebsd/route to emulate Linux like behaviour. It does not have
IPv6 support either...

Anyway, this is indeed an important problem...

		Regards, Axel
-- 
/~\  Plain Text Ribbon Campaign                   | Axel Beckert
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe@deuxchevaux.org  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.asciiribbon.org/              | abe@noone.org (Mail+Jabber)
/ \  I love long mails: http://email.is-not-s.ms/ | http://noone.org/abe/ (Web)




Information stored :
Bug#567939; Package freebsd-net-tools. (Mon, 01 Feb 2010 13:21:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>:
Extra info received and filed, but not forwarded. (Mon, 01 Feb 2010 13:21:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 567939-quiet@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>
To: Axel Beckert <abe@deuxchevaux.org>
Cc: 567939-quiet@bugs.debian.org, debian-bsd@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#567939: No way to display routing table
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 13:49:22 +0100
* Axel Beckert:

>> Both netstat and route fail on squeeze with a 7.2 kernel ("route:
>> writing to routing socket: Invalid argument" and "netstat: kvm_read:
>> Bad address").
>> 
>> I think you need to package kernel-specific versions of these tools.
>
> They are there. route is just a (currently too) simple wrapper around
> /lib/freebsd/route to emulate Linux like behaviour. It does not have
> IPv6 support either...

To clarify, I think the problem is that the tools assume a FreeBSD 8.0
kernel, not the FreeBSD 7.2 kernel I've got on my squeeze
installation.




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, GNU/kFreeBSD Maintainers <debian-bsd@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#567939; Package freebsd-net-tools. (Thu, 30 Sep 2010 11:30:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Mats Erik Andersson <mats.andersson@gisladisker.se>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to GNU/kFreeBSD Maintainers <debian-bsd@lists.debian.org>. (Thu, 30 Sep 2010 11:30:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 567939@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Mats Erik Andersson <mats.andersson@gisladisker.se>
To: 567939@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Declare dependency on kernel-image-8.
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 13:24:31 +0200
The solution should be simple: let the package "freebsd-net-tools_8.1"
depend on "freebsd-image-8".

Using kernel 7.3 every call of netstat(8), from package version 8.1-2,
ends in segmentation faults for domains unix/inet/inet6. Conducting
the upgrade to kernel 8.1 all expected functionality is back.


Best regards,

Mats Erik Andersson, fil. dr

Abonnerar på: debian-mentors, debian-devel-games, debian-perl,
              debian-ipv6, debian-qa




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, GNU/kFreeBSD Maintainers <debian-bsd@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#567939; Package freebsd-net-tools. (Thu, 30 Sep 2010 18:00:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to GNU/kFreeBSD Maintainers <debian-bsd@lists.debian.org>. (Thu, 30 Sep 2010 18:00:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #25 received at 567939@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net>
To: Mats Erik Andersson <mats.andersson@gisladisker.se>, 567939@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#567939: Declare dependency on kernel-image-8.
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 19:56:41 +0200
On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 01:24:31PM +0200, Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
> The solution should be simple: let the package "freebsd-net-tools_8.1"
> depend on "freebsd-image-8".
> 
> Using kernel 7.3 every call of netstat(8), from package version 8.1-2,
> ends in segmentation faults for domains unix/inet/inet6. Conducting
> the upgrade to kernel 8.1 all expected functionality is back.
> 
> 

Depending on kfreebsd-image-8 is not something possible. You don't want
to force users to install a given kernel when installing 
freebsd-net-tools. Users want to be able to install their own kernel, or 
to not install any kernel in the jail/chroot case.

-- 
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
aurelien@aurel32.net                 http://www.aurel32.net




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, GNU/kFreeBSD Maintainers <debian-bsd@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#567939; Package freebsd-net-tools. (Tue, 07 Jun 2011 18:45:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to GNU/kFreeBSD Maintainers <debian-bsd@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 07 Jun 2011 18:45:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #30 received at 567939@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>
To: Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net>, 567939@bugs.debian.org
Cc: Mats Erik Andersson <mats.andersson@gisladisker.se>
Subject: Re: Bug#567939: Declare dependency on kernel-image-8.
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 20:43:19 +0200
On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 19:56:41 +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 01:24:31PM +0200, Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
> > The solution should be simple: let the package "freebsd-net-tools_8.1"
> > depend on "freebsd-image-8".
> > 
> > Using kernel 7.3 every call of netstat(8), from package version 8.1-2,
> > ends in segmentation faults for domains unix/inet/inet6. Conducting
> > the upgrade to kernel 8.1 all expected functionality is back.
> 
> Depending on kfreebsd-image-8 is not something possible. You don't want
> to force users to install a given kernel when installing 
> freebsd-net-tools. Users want to be able to install their own kernel, or 
> to not install any kernel in the jail/chroot case.

Doesn't eglibc require now a kfreebsd 8.x kernel now? If so I guess we
can close this bug report.

regards,
guillem




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, GNU/kFreeBSD Maintainers <debian-bsd@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#567939; Package freebsd-net-tools. (Tue, 07 Jun 2011 21:36:17 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to GNU/kFreeBSD Maintainers <debian-bsd@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 07 Jun 2011 21:36:17 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #35 received at 567939@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net>
To: Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>
Cc: 567939@bugs.debian.org, Mats Erik Andersson <mats.andersson@gisladisker.se>
Subject: Re: Bug#567939: Declare dependency on kernel-image-8.
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 23:34:31 +0200
On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 08:43:19PM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 19:56:41 +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 01:24:31PM +0200, Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
> > > The solution should be simple: let the package "freebsd-net-tools_8.1"
> > > depend on "freebsd-image-8".
> > > 
> > > Using kernel 7.3 every call of netstat(8), from package version 8.1-2,
> > > ends in segmentation faults for domains unix/inet/inet6. Conducting
> > > the upgrade to kernel 8.1 all expected functionality is back.
> > 
> > Depending on kfreebsd-image-8 is not something possible. You don't want
> > to force users to install a given kernel when installing 
> > freebsd-net-tools. Users want to be able to install their own kernel, or 
> > to not install any kernel in the jail/chroot case.
> 
> Doesn't eglibc require now a kfreebsd 8.x kernel now? If so I guess we
> can close this bug report.
> 

Yes, it does, though the change have been done after the release of
Squeeze.


-- 
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
aurelien@aurel32.net                 http://www.aurel32.net




Added indication that bug 567939 blocks 663010 Request was from Steven Chamberlain <steven@pyro.eu.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Wed, 16 May 2012 20:12:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Reply sent to Robert Millan <rmh@debian.org>:
You have taken responsibility. (Wed, 16 May 2012 21:33:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. (Wed, 16 May 2012 21:33:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #42 received at 567939-done@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Robert Millan <rmh@debian.org>
To: 567939-done@bugs.debian.org
Cc: Steven Chamberlain <steven@pyro.eu.org>, debian-bsd@lists.debian.org, arthur@milliways.fr
Subject: Re: Processed: Re: Bug#663010: virtuoso-opensource: FTBFS(kfreebsd): netstat: kvm not available: /dev/mem: Permission denied
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 23:32:01 +0200
Version: 8.2+ds2-10

#567939 was fixed in 8.2+ds2-10.

-- 
Robert Millan




Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:39:01 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Sat Apr 19 15:10:32 2014; Machine Name: beach.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.