Debian Bug report logs - #550789
[vnc4server] Add IPv6 support to VNC Server

version graph

Package: vnc4server; Maintainer for vnc4server is Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org>; Source for vnc4server is src:vnc4.

Reported by: Roman Mamedov <roman@rm.pp.ru>

Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:27:01 UTC

Severity: wishlist

Tags: ipv6, patch

Found in version vnc4/4.1.1+X4.3.0-32

Fixed in version vnc4/4.1.1+X4.3.0-33

Done: Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org>:
Bug#550789; Package vnc4server. (Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:27:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Roman Mamedov <roman@rm.pp.ru>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org>. (Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:27:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Roman Mamedov <roman@rm.pp.ru>
To: submit@bugs.debian.org
Subject: [vnc4server] Add IPv6 support to VNC Server
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 05:18:26 +0600
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Package: vnc4server
Version: 4.1.1+X4.3.0-32
Severity: wishlist
Tags: patch ipv6

Now that VNC Viewer supports IPv6 [1], it is time to add IPv6 support to VNC Server too. Here is a patch which does
that. I hope you will find it useful.

With this patch, unless the "-localhost" option is given, the VNC server will create an IPv6-capable socket which
listens on all available IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. This corresponds to /proc/sys/net/ipv6/bindv6only = 0, and is the
default behavior of the network stack.

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=342620

--- System information. ---
Architecture: amd64
Kernel:       Linux 2.6.31.2-rm2

Debian Release: squeeze/sid
  500 testing         natsu.ipv6.rm.pp.ru 

--- Package information. ---
Depends               (Version) | Installed
===============================-+-=============
libc6                  (>= 2.3) | 2.9-25
libgcc1            (>= 1:4.1.1) | 1:4.4.1-4
libice6            (>= 1:1.0.0) | 2:1.0.5-1
libsm6                          | 2:1.1.1-1
libstdc++6           (>= 4.1.1) | 4.4.1-4
libx11-6                        | 2:1.2.2-1
libxext6                        | 2:1.0.4-1
libxtst6                        | 2:1.0.3-1
zlib1g             (>= 1:1.1.4) | 1:1.2.3.3.dfsg-15
xbase-clients                   | 1:7.4+4
x11-common                      | 1:7.4+4
 OR xserver-common              | 


Recommends       (Version) | Installed
==========================-+-===========
xfonts-base                | 1:1.0.0-6


Suggests      (Version) | Installed
=======================-+-===========
vnc-java                | 

-- 
With respect,
Roman
[vncserver-ipv6.patch (text/x-patch, attachment)]
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, attachment)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org>:
Bug#550789; Package vnc4server. (Tue, 13 Oct 2009 17:45:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to opal@debian.org:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org>. (Tue, 13 Oct 2009 17:45:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 550789@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org>
To: Roman Mamedov <roman@rm.pp.ru>, 550789@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#550789: [vnc4server] Add IPv6 support to VNC Server
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 19:40:15 +0200
Privet Roman

Spacibo bolshoe!

Two questions though:
* How much have you verified this patch?
* Would it be possible to add a -4 and an -6 option to let it
  bind only to ipv4 or ipv6 addresses? This is not needed but
  if you think you can add that easily that would be really great!

Best regards,

// Ola

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 05:18:26AM +0600, Roman Mamedov wrote:
> Package: vnc4server
> Version: 4.1.1+X4.3.0-32
> Severity: wishlist
> Tags: patch ipv6
> 
> Now that VNC Viewer supports IPv6 [1], it is time to add IPv6 support to VNC Server too. Here is a patch which does
> that. I hope you will find it useful.
> 
> With this patch, unless the "-localhost" option is given, the VNC server will create an IPv6-capable socket which
> listens on all available IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. This corresponds to /proc/sys/net/ipv6/bindv6only = 0, and is the
> default behavior of the network stack.
> 
> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=342620
> 
> --- System information. ---
> Architecture: amd64
> Kernel:       Linux 2.6.31.2-rm2
> 
> Debian Release: squeeze/sid
>   500 testing         natsu.ipv6.rm.pp.ru 
> 
> --- Package information. ---
> Depends               (Version) | Installed
> ===============================-+-=============
> libc6                  (>= 2.3) | 2.9-25
> libgcc1            (>= 1:4.1.1) | 1:4.4.1-4
> libice6            (>= 1:1.0.0) | 2:1.0.5-1
> libsm6                          | 2:1.1.1-1
> libstdc++6           (>= 4.1.1) | 4.4.1-4
> libx11-6                        | 2:1.2.2-1
> libxext6                        | 2:1.0.4-1
> libxtst6                        | 2:1.0.3-1
> zlib1g             (>= 1:1.1.4) | 1:1.2.3.3.dfsg-15
> xbase-clients                   | 1:7.4+4
> x11-common                      | 1:7.4+4
>  OR xserver-common              | 
> 
> 
> Recommends       (Version) | Installed
> ==========================-+-===========
> xfonts-base                | 1:1.0.0-6
> 
> 
> Suggests      (Version) | Installed
> =======================-+-===========
> vnc-java                | 
> 
> -- 
> With respect,
> Roman





-- 
 --------------------- Ola Lundqvist ---------------------------
/  opal@debian.org                     Annebergsslingan 37      \
|  ola@inguza.com                      654 65 KARLSTAD          |
|  http://inguza.com/                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
\  gpg/f.p.: 7090 A92B 18FE 7994 0C36  4FE4 18A1 B1CF 0FE5 3DD9 /
 ---------------------------------------------------------------




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org>:
Bug#550789; Package vnc4server. (Tue, 13 Oct 2009 20:39:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Roman Mamedov <roman@rm.pp.ru>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org>. (Tue, 13 Oct 2009 20:39:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 550789@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Roman Mamedov <roman@rm.pp.ru>
To: opal@debian.org, 550789@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#550789: [vnc4server] Add IPv6 support to VNC Server
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 02:30:23 +0600
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Hello!

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 19:40:15 +0200
Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org> wrote:

> Spacibo bolshoe!

:))

> Two questions though:
> * How much have you verified this patch?

I have verified that this patch makes the VNC server listen on IPv4 and IPv6
localhost addresses, and also on IPv4 and IPv6 external addresses. Also tested
two simultaneous VNC connections (using a RealVNC client) to the same session,
with one coming from IPv4 and one from IPv6. Regarding the -localhost option,
I have verified that when it is specified, the server only listens on
127.0.0.1, and refuses connections on all other addresses.

However, since submitting the previous patch I have considered a potential
issue where VNC server could fail to create a socket if IPv6 support is
totally absent (not compiled into the kernel or as a module) on the machine.
Attaching an updated patch which handles this case properly.

I am using the patched VNC server since yesterday (over IPv6), in fact typing
this in its session right now :) It seems to work well, with no stability or
other issues. But feel free to test the patched version too, including on
non-IPv6 capable machines.

> * Would it be possible to add a -4 and an -6 option to let it
>   bind only to ipv4 or ipv6 addresses? This is not needed but
>   if you think you can add that easily that would be really great!

I do not think that such feature is worth it, because it would require a
larger and less trivial patch, which would be more difficult to maintain and
will have more potential for bugs. Besides, if allowing connections on either
of the protocols is ever undesirable to someone, it can always be controlled
using iptables/ip6tables firewall rules.

-- 
With respect,
Roman
[vncserver-ipv6-v2.patch (text/x-patch, attachment)]
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, attachment)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org>:
Bug#550789; Package vnc4server. (Tue, 13 Oct 2009 20:42:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to ola@inguza.com:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org>. (Tue, 13 Oct 2009 20:42:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 550789@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ola Lundqvist <ola@inguza.com>
To: Roman Mamedov <roman@rm.pp.ru>
Cc: 550789@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#550789: [vnc4server] Add IPv6 support to VNC Server
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 22:35:12 +0200
Hi Roman

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 02:30:23AM +0600, Roman Mamedov wrote:
> Hello!
> 
> On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 19:40:15 +0200
> Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org> wrote:
> 
> > Spacibo bolshoe!
> 
> :))

Trying to practice ;-)

> > Two questions though:
> > * How much have you verified this patch?
> 
> I have verified that this patch makes the VNC server listen on IPv4 and IPv6
> localhost addresses, and also on IPv4 and IPv6 external addresses. Also tested
> two simultaneous VNC connections (using a RealVNC client) to the same session,
> with one coming from IPv4 and one from IPv6. Regarding the -localhost option,
> I have verified that when it is specified, the server only listens on
> 127.0.0.1, and refuses connections on all other addresses.

Very good information. This makes less work for me. :-)

> However, since submitting the previous patch I have considered a potential
> issue where VNC server could fail to create a socket if IPv6 support is
> totally absent (not compiled into the kernel or as a module) on the machine.
> Attaching an updated patch which handles this case properly.

Thanks a lot! This is why I asked about this option.

> I am using the patched VNC server since yesterday (over IPv6), in fact typing
> this in its session right now :) It seems to work well, with no stability or
> other issues. But feel free to test the patched version too, including on
> non-IPv6 capable machines.

Really nice. I'll see how much testing I have time for. I think your testing
is good enough.

> > * Would it be possible to add a -4 and an -6 option to let it
> >   bind only to ipv4 or ipv6 addresses? This is not needed but
> >   if you think you can add that easily that would be really great!
> 
> I do not think that such feature is worth it, because it would require a
> larger and less trivial patch, which would be more difficult to maintain and
> will have more potential for bugs. Besides, if allowing connections on either
> of the protocols is ever undesirable to someone, it can always be controlled
> using iptables/ip6tables firewall rules.

I was thinking more about startup problems, but if you think you
have solved those issues, I do not think it is needed.

I'll see when I have time to build and upload this. Hopefully
soon. But if you see little reaction on this please send me a
reminder.

Best regards,

// Ola

> -- 
> With respect,
> Roman





-- 
 --- Inguza Technology AB --- MSc in Information Technology ----
/  ola@inguza.com                    Annebergsslingan 37        \
|  opal@debian.org                   654 65 KARLSTAD            |
|  http://inguza.com/                Mobile: +46 (0)70-332 1551 |
\  gpg/f.p.: 7090 A92B 18FE 7994 0C36 4FE4 18A1 B1CF 0FE5 3DD9  /
 ---------------------------------------------------------------




Reply sent to Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org>:
You have taken responsibility. (Thu, 19 Nov 2009 22:27:12 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to Roman Mamedov <roman@rm.pp.ru>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. (Thu, 19 Nov 2009 22:27:12 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #25 received at 550789-close@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org>
To: 550789-close@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Bug#550789: fixed in vnc4 4.1.1+X4.3.0-33
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 22:25:04 +0000
Source: vnc4
Source-Version: 4.1.1+X4.3.0-33

We believe that the bug you reported is fixed in the latest version of
vnc4, which is due to be installed in the Debian FTP archive:

vnc4_4.1.1+X4.3.0-33.diff.gz
  to main/v/vnc4/vnc4_4.1.1+X4.3.0-33.diff.gz
vnc4_4.1.1+X4.3.0-33.dsc
  to main/v/vnc4/vnc4_4.1.1+X4.3.0-33.dsc
vnc4server_4.1.1+X4.3.0-33_i386.deb
  to main/v/vnc4/vnc4server_4.1.1+X4.3.0-33_i386.deb
xvnc4viewer_4.1.1+X4.3.0-33_i386.deb
  to main/v/vnc4/xvnc4viewer_4.1.1+X4.3.0-33_i386.deb



A summary of the changes between this version and the previous one is
attached.

Thank you for reporting the bug, which will now be closed.  If you
have further comments please address them to 550789@bugs.debian.org,
and the maintainer will reopen the bug report if appropriate.

Debian distribution maintenance software
pp.
Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org> (supplier of updated vnc4 package)

(This message was generated automatically at their request; if you
believe that there is a problem with it please contact the archive
administrators by mailing ftpmaster@debian.org)


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Format: 1.8
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 21:56:04 +0100
Source: vnc4
Binary: vnc4server xvnc4viewer
Architecture: source i386
Version: 4.1.1+X4.3.0-33
Distribution: unstable
Urgency: low
Maintainer: Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org>
Changed-By: Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org>
Description: 
 vnc4server - Virtual network computing server software
 xvnc4viewer - Virtual network computing client software for X
Closes: 282820 447723 550789 551278
Changes: 
 vnc4 (4.1.1+X4.3.0-33) unstable; urgency=low
 .
   * Applying patch from Red Hat to solve problem with vncconfig crashing
     on amd64. Closes: #551278. Thanks to Michael Terry
     <michael.terry@canonical.com> for pointing to the patch.
   * Applied patch from Roman Mamedov <roman@rm.pp.ru> that adds IPv6
     support for the vncserver. Closes: #550789.
   * Fixed assertion by using suggested patch from ubuntu bug 202123.
     Closes: #282820.
   * Applied patch from Otavio Salvador <otavio@ossystems.com.br> to support
     XEmbed. Closes: #447723.
Checksums-Sha1: 
 5bfcd13e1877fba34fcb4f5c28b38ffc45d382b7 1083 vnc4_4.1.1+X4.3.0-33.dsc
 b5646373e8fb402a6fac8dfa5c5f58d0bee916a1 57803 vnc4_4.1.1+X4.3.0-33.diff.gz
 da12adfd89f91da676e4d5decd876cc07f9c9efe 1864062 vnc4server_4.1.1+X4.3.0-33_i386.deb
 18cc9f6be6fceac31133fb8265d65c273f914195 133646 xvnc4viewer_4.1.1+X4.3.0-33_i386.deb
Checksums-Sha256: 
 4eb210652976c119ab32524481a06c42b8a7bb3511d1acab8cfd584fd48adf3f 1083 vnc4_4.1.1+X4.3.0-33.dsc
 805c82989f554da8b1fe503bae93574bc1d5c5055cda560f25747fdf0b337a0e 57803 vnc4_4.1.1+X4.3.0-33.diff.gz
 f9d033b0bd40b16897fcacc0a148dc8ca29b7e19afc2dd052ee1bcb81d63ba2c 1864062 vnc4server_4.1.1+X4.3.0-33_i386.deb
 df2b43bc0b2cc3f8987481d57550b9236664eee0891620abc88c156023c6572f 133646 xvnc4viewer_4.1.1+X4.3.0-33_i386.deb
Files: 
 a291182ac4cc8e69bda96907f74860f7 1083 x11 optional vnc4_4.1.1+X4.3.0-33.dsc
 92782a0ef4ee95e404cd368ea78e9fdf 57803 x11 optional vnc4_4.1.1+X4.3.0-33.diff.gz
 61331d9e9e2a63efdeb4cbda5b166f25 1864062 x11 optional vnc4server_4.1.1+X4.3.0-33_i386.deb
 0892721a612d361356035263295d3cce 133646 net optional xvnc4viewer_4.1.1+X4.3.0-33_i386.deb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAksFuksACgkQGKGxzw/lPdlhgACdGUHwJPAl7Ii6VBivgpYanng9
P48AnR35RoV/VOmF8Zp5BHCm2/asq/FV
=wllw
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----





Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Thu, 31 Dec 2009 07:45:15 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Fri Apr 18 06:06:33 2014; Machine Name: buxtehude.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.