Debian Bug report logs - #533858
RFP: cint -- C/C++ interpreter

Package: wnpp; Maintainer for wnpp is wnpp@debian.org;

Reported by: David Bremner <bremner@unb.ca>

Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 01:12:01 UTC

Severity: wishlist

Reply or subscribe to this bug.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, cholm@nbi.dk, <wnpp@debian.org>:
Bug#533858; Package wnpp. (Sun, 21 Jun 2009 01:12:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to David Bremner <bremner@unb.ca>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to cholm@nbi.dk, <wnpp@debian.org>. (Sun, 21 Jun 2009 01:12:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: David Bremner <bremner@unb.ca>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: RFP: cint -- C/C++ interpreter
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 22:06:48 -0300
Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist


* Package name    : cint
  Version         : 7.3.00
  Upstream Author : Masaharu Goto <gotom@hanno.jp>,  Philippe Canal Paul Russo, 
			Leandro Franco, Diego Marcos, and Axel Naumann.
* URL             : http://root.cern.ch/drupal/content/cint
* License         : MIT/X
  Programming Lang: C++
  Description     : C/C++ interpreter


>From the web site:
  
CINT covers most of ANSI C and ISO C++. A CINT script can call
compiled classes/functions and compiled code can make callbacks to
CINT interpreted functions. Utilities like makecint and rootcint
automate the process of embedding compiled C/C++ library code as
shared objects (as Dynamic Link Library, DLL, or shared library,
.so). Source files and shared objects can be dynamically
loaded/unloaded without stopping the CINT process. CINT offers a gdb
like debugging environment for interpreted programs.

Comments:

there is currently a version of CINT available as part of the
root-system-bin binaries, but

1) It is not clear how well maintained that is.

2) A quick and dirty package of standalone CINT I made is 35M
   installed, versus 100M+ for root-system-bin.

If somebody is going to maintain root-system, it would make sense to
split out the CINT package if possible.

I would be willing to help maintain this package.





Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, <wnpp@debian.org>:
Bug#533858; Package wnpp. (Mon, 22 Jun 2009 07:57:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Christian Holm Christensen <cholm@nbi.dk>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to <wnpp@debian.org>. (Mon, 22 Jun 2009 07:57:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Christian Holm Christensen <cholm@nbi.dk>
To: David Bremner <bremner@unb.ca>, 533858@bugs.debian.org
Cc: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: Re: Bug#533858: RFP: cint -- C/C++ interpreter
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 20:57:34 +0200
Hi David,

On Sat, 2009-06-20 at 22:06 -0300, David Bremner wrote:
> Package: wnpp
> Severity: wishlist
> 
> 
> * Package name    : cint
>   Version         : 7.3.00
>   Upstream Author : Masaharu Goto <gotom@hanno.jp>,  Philippe Canal Paul Russo, 
> 			Leandro Franco, Diego Marcos, and Axel Naumann.
> * URL             : http://root.cern.ch/drupal/content/cint
> * License         : MIT/X
>   Programming Lang: C++
>   Description     : C/C++ interpreter
> 
> 
> >From the web site:
>   
> CINT covers most of ANSI C and ISO C++. A CINT script can call
> compiled classes/functions and compiled code can make callbacks to
> CINT interpreted functions. Utilities like makecint and rootcint
> automate the process of embedding compiled C/C++ library code as
> shared objects (as Dynamic Link Library, DLL, or shared library,
> .so). Source files and shared objects can be dynamically
> loaded/unloaded without stopping the CINT process. CINT offers a gdb
> like debugging environment for interpreted programs.
> 
> Comments:
> 
> there is currently a version of CINT available as part of the
> root-system-bin binaries, but
> 
> 1) It is not clear how well maintained that is.

The developers of CINT work closely together with the developers of ROOT
- as is evident from the WWW address of CINT :-) 

In fact, many of the ROOT developers are CINT developers and vice versa.
So while the CINT in ROOT may be outdated by a version number or so,  it
will always be maintained in ROOT. 

> 2) A quick and dirty package of standalone CINT I made is 35M
>    installed, versus 100M+ for root-system-bin.
>
> If somebody is going to maintain root-system, it would make sense to
> split out the CINT package if possible.

The `pure' CINT binaries (cint, makecint) will disappear from the
root-system packages in the not-so-distant future (that is, as soon as I
get around to building new `experimental' packages of ROOT), since these
binaries are largely meaningless to the ROOT users. 

The reason the ROOT packages have gone a while with out bug fixes are
many, but mainly 

      * I recently had a baby daughter and she's taking quite a bit of
        my free time.
      * ROOT has restructured the code a bit, and I've tried to follow
        this in a new package structure.   I still need to root out a
        few things with this. 

> I would be willing to help maintain this package.

Note, that there were some work done in the past on making a CINT
package set for Debian - by Richard Kreckel for his ginac package.
However, he has since abandoned CINT altogether and CINT has moved a lot
since then.  However, Richard had good contact with the CINT developers,
and it might not be a bad idea to contact him for some inside tricks and
insights.   

And to any die-hard avoid-duplicate-code-at-any-cost that might be
listening - yes, libroot-core does contain a library called libCint, and
no it is not compatible with the libcint of CINT, and no it cannot be
renamed.  The reason is, that ROOT has some special code put into CINT
to make it work better with ROOT. 

Yours,

        
-- 
Christian Holm Christensen <cholm@nbi.dk>





Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, <wnpp@debian.org>:
Bug#533858; Package wnpp. (Mon, 22 Jun 2009 07:57:12 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Christian Holm Christensen <cholm@nbi.dk>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to <wnpp@debian.org>. (Mon, 22 Jun 2009 07:57:12 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, <wnpp@debian.org>:
Bug#533858; Package wnpp. (Mon, 22 Jun 2009 11:03:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to David Bremner <bremner-dated-1246877608.394c4b@pivot.cs.unb.ca>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to <wnpp@debian.org>. (Mon, 22 Jun 2009 11:03:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 533858@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: David Bremner <bremner@unb.ca>
To: Christian Holm Christensen <cholm@nbi.dk>
Cc: 533858@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#533858: RFP: cint -- C/C++ interpreter
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 07:51:53 -0300
Christian Holm Christensen wrote:

>The `pure' CINT binaries (cint, makecint) will disappear from the
>root-system packages in the not-so-distant future (that is, as soon as I
>get around to building new `experimental' packages of ROOT), since these
>binaries are largely meaningless to the ROOT users. 

OK, so it sounds like having a separate cint package makes sense.

>The reason the ROOT packages have gone a while with out bug fixes are
>many, but mainly 
[snip...]

Sure, good to hear you are still interested. And congratulations on
the daughter.

>> I would be willing to help maintain this package.

>Note, that there were some work done in the past on making a CINT
>package set for Debian - by Richard Kreckel for his ginac package.
>However, he has since abandoned CINT altogether and CINT has moved a lot 

Hmm. Ok. I'll drop him a line.

>And to any die-hard avoid-duplicate-code-at-any-cost that might be
>listening - yes, libroot-core does contain a library called libCint, and
>no it is not compatible with the libcint of CINT, and no it cannot be
>renamed.  The reason is, that ROOT has some special code put into CINT
>to make it work better with ROOT. 

So should both packages install these libraries as private 
(i.e. not in /usr/lib) to avoid conflicts?

David





Changed Bug title to 'ITP: cint -- C/C++ interpreter, owner 533858 bremner@unb.ca' from 'RFP: cint -- C/C++ interpreter' Request was from David Bremner <bremner@unb.ca> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Tue, 15 Sep 2009 13:33:10 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Changed Bug title to 'ITP: cint -- C/C++ interpreter' from 'ITP: cint -- C/C++ interpreter, owner 533858 bremner@unb.ca' Request was from David Bremner <bremner@unb.ca> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:42:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Owner recorded as bremner@unb.ca. Request was from David Bremner <bremner@unb.ca> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:42:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Changed Bug title to 'RFP: cint -- C/C++ interpreter' from 'ITP: cint -- C/C++ interpreter' Request was from David Bremner <bremner@unb.ca> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Fri, 22 Oct 2010 11:15:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Removed annotation that Bug was owned by bremner@unb.ca. Request was from David Bremner <bremner@unb.ca> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Fri, 22 Oct 2010 11:15:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Fri Apr 18 04:17:49 2014; Machine Name: beach.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.