Debian Bug report logs - #524483
locales-all: locales installation fails always with "cannot map archive header: Invalid argument"

version graph

Package: locales-all; Maintainer for locales-all is GNU Libc Maintainers <debian-glibc@lists.debian.org>; Source for locales-all is src:eglibc.

Reported by: "arne anka" <debian@ginguppin.de>

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 13:27:02 UTC

Severity: grave

Found in version glibc/2.9-7

Done: Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, GNU Libc Maintainers <debian-glibc@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#524483; Package locales-all. (Fri, 17 Apr 2009 13:27:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to "arne anka" <debian@ginguppin.de>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to GNU Libc Maintainers <debian-glibc@lists.debian.org>. (Fri, 17 Apr 2009 13:27:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: "arne anka" <debian@ginguppin.de>
To: "submit@bugs.debian.org" <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: locales-all: locales installation fails always with "cannot map archive header: Invalid argument"
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 15:24:08 +0200
Package: locales-all
Version: 2.9-7
Severity: grave
Justification: renders package unusable

installing locales-all or running locle.gen always ends with

cannot map archive header: Invalid argument

(which makes the installtion fail, of course) and the loacles are not
available. since locales did not work, i installed locales-all, led to
believe by
"This package contains the precompiled locale data for all supported
locales." that everything was done -- but not so, the exact same stuff
happnend (making me ask, what in fact is the meaning of that senetence).

-- System Information:
Debian Release: squeeze/sid
  APT prefers unstable
  APT policy: (500, 'unstable')
Architecture: armel (armv4tl)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.28-20090105.git69b2aa26 (PREEMPT)
Locale: LANG=C, LC_CTYPE=C (charmap=ANSI_X3.4-1968)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash

Versions of packages locales-all depends on:
ii  libc6 [glibc-2.9-1]           2.9-7      GNU C Library: Shared  
libraries
ii  lzma                          4.43-14    Compression method of 7z  
format in

locales-all recommends no packages.

locales-all suggests no packages.

-- no debconf information




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, GNU Libc Maintainers <debian-glibc@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#524483; Package locales-all. (Fri, 17 Apr 2009 15:21:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to GNU Libc Maintainers <debian-glibc@lists.debian.org>. (Fri, 17 Apr 2009 15:21:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 524483@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net>
To: arne anka <debian@ginguppin.de>, 524483@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#524483: locales-all: locales installation fails always with "cannot map archive header: Invalid argument"
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:16:09 +0200
arne anka a écrit :
> Package: locales-all
> Version: 2.9-7
> Severity: grave
> Justification: renders package unusable
> 
> installing locales-all or running locle.gen always ends with
> 
> cannot map archive header: Invalid argument
> 
> (which makes the installtion fail, of course) and the loacles are not
> available. since locales did not work, i installed locales-all, led to
> believe by
> "This package contains the precompiled locale data for all supported
> locales." that everything was done -- but not so, the exact same stuff
> happnend (making me ask, what in fact is the meaning of that senetence).
> 

What is the output of ls -al /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive ?

How much space is available in this directory?

What filesystem is it?

Any particular mount option?

-- 
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
aurelien@aurel32.net                 http://www.aurel32.net




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, GNU Libc Maintainers <debian-glibc@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#524483; Package locales-all. (Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:00:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to "arne anka" <debian@ginguppin.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to GNU Libc Maintainers <debian-glibc@lists.debian.org>. (Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:00:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 524483@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: "arne anka" <debian@ginguppin.de>
To: "Aurelien Jarno" <aurelien@aurel32.net>, 524483@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#524483: locales-all: locales installation fails always with "cannot map archive header: Invalid argument"
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 18:56:33 +0200
> What is the output of ls -al /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive ?

ls: cannot access /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive: No such file or directory

> How much space is available in this directory?

df -h /
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs                247M  164M   84M  67% /

> What filesystem is it?
> Any particular mount option?

rootfs on / type jffs2 (rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro)

making locale-gen running localedef with --no-archive creates the locales  
defined, but of course not the archive.

the filesystem question is actually quite interesting -- i linked the  
folder to an ext3 formatted sd card

df:
/dev/mmcblk0p2        5.6G  2.5G  2.9G  47% /mnt
mount:
/dev/mmcblk0p2 on /mnt type ext3 (rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro)

and locale-gen went straight through.
seems, jiffs2 is troublesome, doesn't it?




Reply sent to Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net>:
You have taken responsibility. (Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:27:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to "arne anka" <debian@ginguppin.de>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. (Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:27:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 524483-done@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net>
To: arne anka <debian@ginguppin.de>
Cc: 524483-done@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#524483: locales-all: locales installation fails always with "cannot map archive header: Invalid argument"
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 19:22:39 +0200
On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 06:56:33PM +0200, arne anka wrote:
>> What is the output of ls -al /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive ?
>
> ls: cannot access /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive: No such file or directory
>
>> How much space is available in this directory?
>
> df -h /
> Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> rootfs                247M  164M   84M  67% /
>
>> What filesystem is it?
>> Any particular mount option?
>
> rootfs on / type jffs2 (rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro)
>
> making locale-gen running localedef with --no-archive creates the locales 
> defined, but of course not the archive.
>
> the filesystem question is actually quite interesting -- i linked the  
> folder to an ext3 formatted sd card
>
> df:
> /dev/mmcblk0p2        5.6G  2.5G  2.9G  47% /mnt
> mount:
> /dev/mmcblk0p2 on /mnt type ext3 (rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro)
>
> and locale-gen went straight through.
> seems, jiffs2 is troublesome, doesn't it?

Yes, jffs2 does not support mmap in write mode. This is not a bug of
locales.

-- 
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
aurelien@aurel32.net                 http://www.aurel32.net




Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Sat, 16 May 2009 07:42:12 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Sat Apr 19 00:40:13 2014; Machine Name: beach.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.