Debian Bug report logs - #516280
GRUB Installed on wrong device during Lenny Install

version graph

Package: debian-installer; Maintainer for debian-installer is Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>; Source for debian-installer is src:debian-installer.

Reported by: Rob Fulton <rob@cow-frenzy.co.uk>

Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:15:02 UTC

Severity: normal

Found in version debian-installer/20090123

Done: Holger Wansing <linux@wansing-online.de>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#516280; Package debian-installer. (Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:15:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Rob Fulton <rob@cow-frenzy.co.uk>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:15:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Rob Fulton <rob@cow-frenzy.co.uk>
To: submit@bugs.debian.org
Subject: GRUB Installed on wrong device during Lenny Install
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:09:54 +0000 (GMT)
Package: debian-installer
Version: 20090123

When installing Lenny on a HP DL360 / DL380 server Grub is installed on 
the wrong device.

The server is booted from CD, during network detection, the bnx2 firmware 
is required. A USB key is inserted to provide the firmware. The disks are 
then partitioned and the install proceeds, grub is installed on the master 
boot record. On reboot with the USB stick still connected, GRUB loads and 
the os is booted from the internal disks. Without the USB drive, the OS 
refuses to boot.

The internal disks are presented as /dev/cciss/c0d0 devices, the USB drive 
is presented as /dev/sda.

Running grub-install to the /dev/cciss/c0d0 device after install resolves 
the problem but the installer appears to be picking the wrong device when 
grub is installed

Regards

Rob Fulton




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#516280; Package debian-installer. (Fri, 20 Feb 2009 18:09:11 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Fri, 20 Feb 2009 18:09:11 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 516280@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org>
To: Rob Fulton <rob@cow-frenzy.co.uk>, 516280@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#516280: GRUB Installed on wrong device during Lenny Install
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 17:58:23 +0100
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Quoting Rob Fulton (rob@cow-frenzy.co.uk):
> Package: debian-installer
> Version: 20090123
>
> When installing Lenny on a HP DL360 / DL380 server Grub is installed on  
> the wrong device.
>
> The server is booted from CD, during network detection, the bnx2 firmware 
> is required. A USB key is inserted to provide the firmware. The disks are 
> then partitioned and the install proceeds, grub is installed on the 
> master boot record. On reboot with the USB stick still connected, GRUB 
> loads and the os is booted from the internal disks. Without the USB 
> drive, the OS refuses to boot.
>
> The internal disks are presented as /dev/cciss/c0d0 devices, the USB 
> drive is presented as /dev/sda.
>
> Running grub-install to the /dev/cciss/c0d0 device after install resolves 
> the problem but the installer appears to be picking the wrong device when 
> grub is installed


Such issues are documented in the errata file.

This issue indeed pertains to thegeneral goal of having fixed mount
names instead of relying on the devices names....

As this issue is documented and well known, I propose closing it.


[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#516280; Package debian-installer. (Fri, 22 May 2009 05:15:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Dominique Brazziel <dbrazziel@snet.net>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Fri, 22 May 2009 05:15:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 516280@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Dominique Brazziel <dbrazziel@snet.net>
To: 516280@bugs.debian.org
Subject: This bug needs to stay open until it is resolved
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 16:29:05 -0400
Quoting Rob Fulton (rob@cow-frenzy.co.uk):
> Package: debian-installer
> Version: 20090123
>
> When installing Lenny on a HP DL360 / DL380 server Grub is installed on  
> the wrong device.
>
> The server is booted from CD, during network detection, the bnx2 firmware 
> is required. A USB key is inserted to provide the firmware. The disks are 
> then partitioned and the install proceeds, grub is installed on the 
> master boot record. On reboot with the USB stick still connected, GRUB 
> loads and the os is booted from the internal disks. Without the USB 
> drive, the OS refuses to boot.
>
> The internal disks are presented as /dev/cciss/c0d0 devices, the USB 
> drive is presented as /dev/sda.
>
> Running grub-install to the /dev/cciss/c0d0 device after install resolves 
> the problem but the installer appears to be picking the wrong device when 
> grub is installed

"Such issues are documented in the errata file."

Where?  Which errata file?  Please be more specific, the software
in question (debian-installer, GRUB) certainly demands specificity.

"This issue indeed pertains to the general goal of having fixed mount
names instead of relying on the devices names...."

Whose goal?  The Debian Installation manual makes no such mission 
statement.

"As this issue is documented and well known, I propose closing it."

Again, the issue is _not_ well documented.  After googling 'GRUB Error
2' and receiving hits for numerous distributions, hardware setups and
configurations, here I am at the Debian Bug database.

This bug needs to stay open until it is resolved either by inserting a
clear and concise warning or requirements sections in the relevant
Debian documentation or making more the installer and/or GRUB more
robust, and include step by step workarounds to get the newly installed
system to boot.  The old system is gone, need to get the new one up
ASAP.  This is a definite showstopper for installation of a 'stable'
release from USB key/memory stick, et.al.






Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#516280; Package debian-installer. (Fri, 22 May 2009 06:09:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Fri, 22 May 2009 06:09:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 516280@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org>
To: Dominique Brazziel <dbrazziel@snet.net>, 516280@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#516280: This bug needs to stay open until it is resolved
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 08:06:56 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Quoting Dominique Brazziel (dbrazziel@snet.net):

> This bug needs to stay open until it is resolved either by inserting a
> clear and concise warning or requirements sections in the relevant
> Debian documentation or making more the installer and/or GRUB more
> robust, and include step by step workarounds to get the newly installed
> system to boot.  The old system is gone, need to get the new one up
> ASAP.  This is a definite showstopper for installation of a 'stable'
> release from USB key/memory stick, et.al.


Patches welcome, either to documentation or code.


[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#516280; Package debian-installer. (Thu, 26 Nov 2009 12:12:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Thu, 26 Nov 2009 12:12:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #25 received at 516280@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org>
To: 516280@bugs.debian.org
Cc: 516280-submitter@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#516280: This bug needs to stay open until it is resolved
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 13:01:34 +0100
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Hi,

On Freitag, 22. Mai 2009, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Dominique Brazziel (dbrazziel@snet.net):
> > This bug needs to stay open until it is resolved either by inserting a
> > clear and concise warning or requirements sections in the relevant
> > Debian documentation or making more the installer and/or GRUB more
> > robust, and include step by step workarounds to get the newly installed
> > system to boot.  The old system is gone, need to get the new one up
> > ASAP.  This is a definite showstopper for installation of a 'stable'
> > release from USB key/memory stick, et.al.
>
> Patches welcome, either to documentation or code.

I would like to send a patch for the errata, where is it kept in svn? Also 
against which package should bugs against the errata be filed?

In http://bugs.skolelinux.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1395 I've documented two 
workarounds:

a.) remove the usbstick after the firmware has been loaded
b.) to document how to do it with the usbstick kept plugged in: wait til the
end, change to a shell, run: "chroot /target" and 
then: "grub-install /dev/cciss/c0d0". that should work too.

Also, it would be good test if the bug is still present in the current daily 
images - unfortunatly I lack the hardware to test myself, so I've cc:ed the 
original submitter of the bug. A Debian-Edu user gave the squeeze daily a try 
today, but unfortunatly it didnt load the firmware from the usbstick in the 
first place...


regards,
	Holger
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Message sent on to Rob Fulton <rob@cow-frenzy.co.uk>:
Bug#516280. (Thu, 26 Nov 2009 12:12:11 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#516280; Package debian-installer. (Thu, 26 Nov 2009 18:42:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>. (Thu, 26 Nov 2009 18:42:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #33 received at 516280@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org>
To: Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org>, 516280@bugs.debian.org
Cc: 516280-submitter@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#516280: This bug needs to stay open until it is resolved
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 18:55:47 +0100
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Quoting Holger Levsen (holger@layer-acht.org):
> Hi,
> 
> On Freitag, 22. Mai 2009, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > Quoting Dominique Brazziel (dbrazziel@snet.net):
> > > This bug needs to stay open until it is resolved either by inserting a
> > > clear and concise warning or requirements sections in the relevant
> > > Debian documentation or making more the installer and/or GRUB more
> > > robust, and include step by step workarounds to get the newly installed
> > > system to boot.  The old system is gone, need to get the new one up
> > > ASAP.  This is a definite showstopper for installation of a 'stable'
> > > release from USB key/memory stick, et.al.
> >
> > Patches welcome, either to documentation or code.
> 
> I would like to send a patch for the errata, where is it kept in svn? Also 
> against which package should bugs against the errata be filed?

The errata file is kept in Debian www CVS repository.

webwml/english/devel/debian-installer

I'd say that the package to send the bug report about could be
debian-installer itself....not really optimal, though.

One should notice that I have pending changes for the errata file
(supposedly in preparation for alpha1.....but many items are probably
missing).

[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Message sent on to Rob Fulton <rob@cow-frenzy.co.uk>:
Bug#516280. (Thu, 26 Nov 2009 18:42:10 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Reply sent to Holger Wansing <linux@wansing-online.de>:
You have taken responsibility. (Wed, 25 Aug 2010 20:36:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to Rob Fulton <rob@cow-frenzy.co.uk>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. (Wed, 25 Aug 2010 20:36:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #41 received at 516280-done@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Holger Wansing <linux@wansing-online.de>
To: 516280-done@bugs.debian.org
Cc: Rob Fulton <rob@cow-frenzy.co.uk>
Subject: GRUB Installed on wrong device during Lenny Install: close this bug
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 22:34:29 +0200
[House-cleaning on bugreports]

This bug reports about grub beeing installed on the wrong device
while an additional usb storage device was plugged in.

As in the actual installer the device naming via UUID is the default
and so the identification of the disc to install grub on is clear
and no more error-prone, this bug is fixed.

I close this bug.

Thanks
Holger


-- 

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Created with Sylpheed 2.5.0
    under DEBIAN GNU/LINUX 5.0.0 - L e n n y
        Registered LinuxUser #311290 - http://counter.li.org/
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =




Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Thu, 23 Sep 2010 07:37:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Sat Apr 19 01:12:44 2014; Machine Name: beach.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.