Debian Bug report logs - #515201
linux-image: sata drive connected via marvell controller crashes

version graph

Package: linux-2.6; Maintainer for linux-2.6 is Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>;

Reported by: Mark Poks <markpoks@wp.pl>

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 18:36:02 UTC

Severity: important

Tags: fixed-upstream, upstream

Found in versions linux-2.6/2.6.30-8~bpo50+1, linux-2.6/2.6.32-34squeeze1, 2.6.26-19lenny1

Forwarded to https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12075

Reply or subscribe to this bug.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, unknown-package@qa.debian.org:
Bug#515201; Package linux-image. (Sat, 14 Feb 2009 18:36:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Mark Poks <markpoks@wp.pl>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to unknown-package@qa.debian.org. (Sat, 14 Feb 2009 18:36:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Mark Poks <markpoks@wp.pl>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: linux-image: sata drive connected via marvell controller crashes
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 19:35:01 +0100
Package: linux-image
Severity: important

i have ASUS M2N32 WS Professionall mainboard with latest BIOS revision 2001.
it has two controllers for sata:
- standard (nvidia)
- marvell

and also i have two sata II disks:
 1 - with Debian 32-bit, kernel 2.6.26-1-686-bigmem - plugged in standard sata
 2 - with Debian 64-bit, kernel 2.6.26-1-amd64 - plugged in marvell sata

the standard sata controller works fine, but i have problems with the marvell.

* when booting disk 1 (disk 2 is connected to marvell controller) system does
not boot up correctly. it holds-on - see photo:

http://develop.euroimpex.pl/~marek/boot/dsc00226.jpg

last few lines of long display in a loop if waiting longer..

* when booting disk 1, with disk 2 unplugged, system starts fine ofcourse,
but when plugin disk 2 to marvell (when system is on), the message
'Disabling IRQ #16' appears in console and system hangs-up.

* i tried also bootup from disk 2 (marvell controller), the grub started,
kernel started to doing it's job, but it crashed - see photo:

http://develop.euroimpex.pl/~marek/boot/dsc00227.jpg

maybe i am doing something wrong? maybe my mainboard has a bug, or maybe
it's something wrong in kernel? or maybe i have badly configured IRQs in the 
BIOS? - not sure

cheers.



-- System Information:
Debian Release: 5.0
  APT prefers testing
  APT policy: (500, 'testing')
Architecture: i386 (i686)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.26-1-686-bigmem (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash




Bug reassigned from package `linux-image' to `linux-2.6'. Request was from Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sat, 02 May 2009 16:21:10 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#515201; Package linux-2.6. (Sun, 25 Oct 2009 16:03:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. (Sun, 25 Oct 2009 16:03:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #12 received at 515201@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
To: Mark Poks <markpoks@wp.pl>
Cc: 515201@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: linux-image: sata drive connected via marvell controller crashes
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 15:52:23 +0000
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 19:35 +0100, Mark Poks wrote:
> Package: linux-image
> Severity: important

I'm sorry for the delay in answering your bug report.

> i have ASUS M2N32 WS Professionall mainboard with latest BIOS revision 2001.
> it has two controllers for sata:
> - standard (nvidia)
> - marvell
>
> and also i have two sata II disks:
>  1 - with Debian 32-bit, kernel 2.6.26-1-686-bigmem - plugged in standard sata
>  2 - with Debian 64-bit, kernel 2.6.26-1-amd64 - plugged in marvell sata
> 
> the standard sata controller works fine, but i have problems with the marvell.
> 
> * when booting disk 1 (disk 2 is connected to marvell controller) system does
> not boot up correctly. it holds-on - see photo:
> 
> http://develop.euroimpex.pl/~marek/boot/dsc00226.jpg
> 
> last few lines of long display in a loop if waiting longer..
> 
> * when booting disk 1, with disk 2 unplugged, system starts fine ofcourse,
> but when plugin disk 2 to marvell (when system is on), the message
> 'Disabling IRQ #16' appears in console and system hangs-up.
> 
> * i tried also bootup from disk 2 (marvell controller), the grub started,
> kernel started to doing it's job, but it crashed - see photo:
> 
> http://develop.euroimpex.pl/~marek/boot/dsc00227.jpg
> 
> maybe i am doing something wrong? maybe my mainboard has a bug, or maybe
> it's something wrong in kernel? or maybe i have badly configured IRQs in the 
> BIOS? - not sure

IRQ configuration should be automatic, the exception being when there is
a BIOS bug that we need to override.

I believe that this was fixed in linux-2.6 version 2.6.26-14, which was
included in stable update 5.0.1.  Please can you report whether this bug
is now fixed?

Ben.

-- 
Ben Hutchings
I'm always amazed by the number of people who take up solipsism because
they heard someone else explain it. - E*Borg on alt.fan.pratchett
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Added tag(s) moreinfo. Request was from Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sun, 25 Oct 2009 16:03:10 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Bug Marked as found in versions 2.6.26-19lenny1. Request was from Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sun, 01 Nov 2009 00:45:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message sent on to Mark Poks <markpoks@wp.pl>:
Bug#515201. (Sun, 01 Nov 2009 00:48:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #19 received at 515201-submitter@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
To: 515201-submitter@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: linux-image: sata drive connected via marvell controller crashes
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 00:40:21 +0000
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 20:30 +0100, Mark Poks wrote:
[...]
> I have latest lenny amd64 version (release 5.0.3 as i remember). it is 
> provided with kernel 2.6.26-19lenny1. marvell still does not work.

OK, noted.

> in few days i will test it with kernel 2.6.30-8~bpo50+1.

Please do.

Ben.

-- 
Ben Hutchings
The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance.
                                                            - Robert Coveyou
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#515201; Package linux-2.6. (Sun, 01 Nov 2009 00:57:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. (Sun, 01 Nov 2009 00:57:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #24 received at 515201@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
To: 515201@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: linux-image: sata drive connected via marvell controller crashes
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 00:37:28 +0000
-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Mark Poks <markpoks@gmail.com>
To: Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
Subject: Re: linux-image: sata drive connected via marvell controller crashes
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 20:30:28 +0100


On 10/25/2009 04:52 PM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 19:35 +0100, Mark Poks wrote:
>    
>> Package: linux-image
>> Severity: important
>>      
>
> I'm sorry for the delay in answering your bug report.
>
>    
>> i have ASUS M2N32 WS Professionall mainboard with latest BIOS revision 2001.
>> it has two controllers for sata:
>> - standard (nvidia)
>> - marvell
>>
>> and also i have two sata II disks:
>>   1 - with Debian 32-bit, kernel 2.6.26-1-686-bigmem - plugged in standard sata
>>   2 - with Debian 64-bit, kernel 2.6.26-1-amd64 - plugged in marvell sata
>>
>> the standard sata controller works fine, but i have problems with the marvell.
>>
>> * when booting disk 1 (disk 2 is connected to marvell controller) system does
>> not boot up correctly. it holds-on - see photo:
>>
>> http://develop.euroimpex.pl/~marek/boot/dsc00226.jpg
>>
>> last few lines of long display in a loop if waiting longer..
>>
>> * when booting disk 1, with disk 2 unplugged, system starts fine ofcourse,
>> but when plugin disk 2 to marvell (when system is on), the message
>> 'Disabling IRQ #16' appears in console and system hangs-up.
>>
>> * i tried also bootup from disk 2 (marvell controller), the grub started,
>> kernel started to doing it's job, but it crashed - see photo:
>>
>> http://develop.euroimpex.pl/~marek/boot/dsc00227.jpg
>>
>> maybe i am doing something wrong? maybe my mainboard has a bug, or maybe
>> it's something wrong in kernel? or maybe i have badly configured IRQs in the
>> BIOS? - not sure
>>      
>
> IRQ configuration should be automatic, the exception being when there is
> a BIOS bug that we need to override.
>
> I believe that this was fixed in linux-2.6 version 2.6.26-14, which was
> included in stable update 5.0.1.  Please can you report whether this bug
> is now fixed?
>
> Ben.
>
>    

I have latest lenny amd64 version (release 5.0.3 as i remember). it is 
provided with kernel 2.6.26-19lenny1. marvell still does not work. in 
few days i will test it with kernel 2.6.30-8~bpo50+1.

Mark.





Information stored :
Bug#515201; Package linux-2.6. (Mon, 02 Nov 2009 21:09:10 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Marek Poks <markpoks@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and filed, but not forwarded. (Mon, 02 Nov 2009 21:09:10 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #29 received at 515201-quiet@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Marek Poks <markpoks@gmail.com>
To: Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>, 515201-quiet@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#515201: linux-image: sata drive connected via marvell controller crashes
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 21:55:21 +0100

On 11/01/2009 01:40 AM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 20:30 +0100, Mark Poks wrote:
> [...]
>    
>> I have latest lenny amd64 version (release 5.0.3 as i remember). it is
>> provided with kernel 2.6.26-19lenny1. marvell still does not work.
>>      
>
> OK, noted.
>
>    
>> in few days i will test it with kernel 2.6.30-8~bpo50+1.
>>      
>
> Please do.
>
> Ben.
>
>    
with kernel 2.6.30-8~bpo50+1 it still does not boot. it loops same 
messages when trying to communicate device.




Removed tag(s) moreinfo. Request was from Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Thu, 05 Nov 2009 01:54:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#515201; Package linux-2.6. (Sun, 02 May 2010 18:51:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm@inutil.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. (Sun, 02 May 2010 18:51:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #36 received at 515201@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm@inutil.org>
To: Marek Poks <markpoks@gmail.com>
Cc: 515201@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#515201: linux-image: sata drive connected via marvell controller crashes
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 20:49:40 +0200
On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 09:55:21PM +0100, Marek Poks wrote:
> 
> 
> On 11/01/2009 01:40 AM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> >On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 20:30 +0100, Mark Poks wrote:
> >[...]
> >>I have latest lenny amd64 version (release 5.0.3 as i remember). it is
> >>provided with kernel 2.6.26-19lenny1. marvell still does not work.
> >
> >OK, noted.
> >
> >>in few days i will test it with kernel 2.6.30-8~bpo50+1.
> >
> >Please do.
> >
> >Ben.
> >
> with kernel 2.6.30-8~bpo50+1 it still does not boot. it loops same
> messages when trying to communicate device.

Hi,
The next release of Debian (6.0, code name Squeeze) will be based
on 2.6.32. Please test the current 2.6.32 from unstable/testing and tell
us whether the problem persists. If so, we should report it upstream
to the kernel.org developers.

The 2.6.32 kernel is available from packages.debian.org and can
be installed in both Debian stable, testing and unstable
installations.

Thanks,
        Moritz




Reply sent to Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>:
You have taken responsibility. (Tue, 31 May 2011 04:39:10 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to Mark Poks <markpoks@wp.pl>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. (Tue, 31 May 2011 04:39:10 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #41 received at 515201-done@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
To: 515201-done@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#515201: linux-image: sata drive connected via marvell controller crashes
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 05:37:13 +0100
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Sun, 2010-05-02 at 20:49 +0200, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 09:55:21PM +0100, Marek Poks wrote:
> > 
> > 
> > On 11/01/2009 01:40 AM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > >On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 20:30 +0100, Mark Poks wrote:
> > >[...]
> > >>I have latest lenny amd64 version (release 5.0.3 as i remember). it is
> > >>provided with kernel 2.6.26-19lenny1. marvell still does not work.
> > >
> > >OK, noted.
> > >
> > >>in few days i will test it with kernel 2.6.30-8~bpo50+1.
> > >
> > >Please do.
> > >
> > >Ben.
> > >
> > with kernel 2.6.30-8~bpo50+1 it still does not boot. it loops same
> > messages when trying to communicate device.
> 
> Hi,
> The next release of Debian (6.0, code name Squeeze) will be based
> on 2.6.32. Please test the current 2.6.32 from unstable/testing and tell
> us whether the problem persists. If so, we should report it upstream
> to the kernel.org developers.
> 
> The 2.6.32 kernel is available from packages.debian.org and can
> be installed in both Debian stable, testing and unstable
> installations.

Closing due to lack of response.

If you can reproduce this using a current kernel version, please let us
know.  I'm sorry I didn't progress this further when you reported
against Linux 2.6.30.  Unfortunately we have an overwhelming number of
open bug reports.

Ben.

-- 
Ben Hutchings
Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it makes it worse.
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#515201; Package linux-2.6. (Sat, 18 Jun 2011 01:48:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to egross@bol.com.br:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. (Sat, 18 Jun 2011 01:48:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #46 received at 515201@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: egross@bol.com.br
To: 515201@bugs.debian.org
Subject: reopen bug - all kernel versions in squeeze until now
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 22:46:45 -0300
Hi.
I have also an Asus motherboard with a marvell controller for external sata drive. Since upgrade from lenny to squeeze, the external hd did not work. As it has also an usb connection, I can use it through usb, but if it is conncected to the marvell sata instead of to usb, boot hangs.
Motherboard is M2V. Current kernel version is 2.6.32-5-amd64.
Greatings.
Eduardo Gross




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#515201; Package linux-2.6. (Sun, 19 Jun 2011 03:39:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to egross@bol.com.br:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. (Sun, 19 Jun 2011 03:39:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #51 received at 515201@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: egross@bol.com.br
To: egross@bol.com.br
Cc: 515201@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: reopen bug - all kernel versions in squeeze until now
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 00:36:40 -0300
The following link (http://wiki.debian.org/pata_marvell) deals with the issue in debian lenny. I tried it and it works also with my squeeze kernel, 2.6.32-5-amd64. So, I do not know if bug report should be closed, if it it is a workaround, if it is really a solution. Big shot guys decide it. In any case, the default initrd shipped with debian and its updates are not ready to use for people using an external sata drive because of this issue with the marvell controller.
Greatings.
Eduardo Gross





Em 17/06/2011 22:46, egross@bol.com.br escreveu:
Hi.
I have also an Asus motherboard with a marvell controller for external sata drive. Since upgrade from lenny to squeeze, the external hd did not work. As it has also an usb connection, I can use it through usb, but if it is conncected to the marvell sata instead of to usb, boot hangs.
Motherboard is M2V. Current kernel version is 2.6.32-5-amd64.
Greatings.
Eduardo Gross





Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#515201; Package linux-2.6. (Sun, 19 Jun 2011 04:33:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. (Sun, 19 Jun 2011 04:33:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #56 received at 515201@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com>
To: egross@bol.com.br
Cc: 515201@bugs.debian.org, Mark Poks <markpoks@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: linux-image: sata drive connected via marvell controller crashes
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 23:29:50 -0500
found 515201 linux-2.6/2.6.30-8~bpo50+1
found 515201 linux-2.6/2.6.32-34squeeze1
quit

Hi Eduardo,

egross@bol.com.br wrote:

> The following link (http://wiki.debian.org/pata_marvell) deals with
> the issue in debian lenny. I tried it and it works also with my
> squeeze kernel, 2.6.32-5-amd64.

Interesting.  For reference, that page suggests:

 1. Enable the Marvell controller in the BIOS.
 2. Disable the pata_marvell module, by putting a .conf file with

	install pata_marvell /bin/true

    in /etc/modprobe.d.
 3. Pass the marvell_enable=1 parameter to the ahci module, by putting
    a .conf file with

	options ahci marvell_enable=1

    in /etc/modprobe.d.

and regenerating the initramfs.  Do you know whether it is (2) or (3)
that causes your system to boot correctly?

The photos from Mark's original report are (understandably) no longer
online.  Could you describe the messages from bootup, for example by
taking a new photo?

If you have time for it, it would also be nice to try a 3.0 release
candidate from experimental and see if that changes anything (it
probably won't, but it's good to check).

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12075 upstream has some
pointers.

Thanks much.
Jonathan




Bug Marked as found in versions linux-2.6/2.6.30-8~bpo50+1 and reopened. Request was from Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sun, 19 Jun 2011 04:33:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Bug Marked as found in versions linux-2.6/2.6.32-34squeeze1. Request was from Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sun, 19 Jun 2011 04:33:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#515201; Package linux-2.6. (Sun, 19 Jun 2011 10:52:16 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. (Sun, 19 Jun 2011 10:52:21 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #65 received at 515201@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com>
To: mark poks <reg@markpoks.com>
Cc: 515201@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: linux-image: sata drive connected via marvell controller crashes
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 05:51:46 -0500
Hi,

mark poks wrote:

> unfortunatelly i have no longer mainboard with marvell controller (in fact i
> have, but it lays somewhere unplugged), so i can't make new foto.
> but i will try to find that removed foto - maybe it's still in a backup
> (i'll let you know if found)....

No problem.  Eduardo seems to be experiencing the same problem, so
hopefully we will have more data soon.

Sorry this has been sitting for so long.




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#515201; Package linux-2.6. (Sun, 19 Jun 2011 22:00:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. (Sun, 19 Jun 2011 22:00:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #70 received at 515201@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com>
To: egross@bol.com.br
Cc: 515201@bugs.debian.org, mark poks <reg@markpoks.com>
Subject: Re: linux-image: sata drive connected via marvell controller crashes
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 16:57:54 -0500
tags 515201 + upstream
quit

(cc-ing the bug log)
egross@bol.com.br wrote:

> I booted with the initrd (2.6.32-5-amd64) which came with the last
> update of squeeze, in order to copy the error messages, and now it
> boots correctly with my marvel external sata connected! So, the
> problem is not with the initrd. Only putting the commands suggested
> by that site in modprobe.d solve the problem.
>
> Trying to get the previous error messages, I removed the suggested
> commands in modprobe.d/. Removing only the second (options ahci
> marvell_enable=1), the error on boot occurs again: 
>
> xxxxx
> "[   11.516226] ata6.01: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
> [   16.556015] ata6: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
> [   21.540016] ata6: device not ready (errno=-16), forcing hardreset
> [   26.848015] ata6: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
> [   31.552016] ata6: SRST failed (errno=-16)
> [   36.861014] ata6: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
> [   41.564018] ata6: SRST failed (errno=-16)
> [   46.872017] ata6: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
> [   76.612017] ata6: SRST failed (errno=-16)
> [   81.640014] ata6: SRST failed (errno=-16)
> [   81.640087] ata6: reset failed, giving up
> [   86.680014] ata6: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
> [   91.664017] ata6: device not ready (errno=-16), forcing hardreset
> [   91.664096] ata6: soft resetting link
> [   96.972016] ata6: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
> [  101.676016] ata6: SRST failed (errno=-16)
> [  101.676092] ata6: soft resetting link
> [  106.988014] ata6: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
> [  111.692013] ata6: SRST failed (errno=-16)
> [  111.692088] ata6: soft resetting link
> [  117.004011] ata6: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
> [  146.744017] ata6: SRST failed (errno=-16)
> [  146.744094] ata6: soft resetting link
> [  151.772016] ata6: SRST failed (errno=-16)
> [  151.772089] ata6: reset failed, giving up
> [  151.772161] ata6: EH complete"
> xxxxxxx
>
> After these error messages, boot continues, but it takes a very long
> time.
>
> Then I changed the archive in modprobe.d, and removed only the first
> suggested entry (install pata_marvell /bin/true). Now, the pc boots
> normally.
>
> I cannot say if this occurs because the other command has already
> been entered before, once I only did what the consulted site
> suggested, without a clear knowledge about what the commands mean in
> detail. Anyway, now only the second command is needed in an archive
> in the directory modprobe.d in order to all work well - boot does
> not fail and the external drive connected to sata controller works
> perfectly. So, the main command seems to be "options ahci
> marvell_enable=1".

Thanks for checking.  So it seems the fundamental thing is to teach
Linux to automatically detect when the ahci driver can be used,
instead of requiring it to be specified on the module command line.

The source (drivers/ata/ahci.c) says:

	/* The AHCI driver can only drive the SATA ports, the PATA driver
	   can drive them all so if both drivers are selected make sure
	   AHCI stays out of the way */

Yuck!  I guess one way to move forward would be to teach the AHCI
driver to drive the PATA ports, or to detect if anything is connected
to the PATA ports and only engage this safety in that case.

In any event, I think this is ready to be passed upstream.  Could you
report it at bugzilla.kernel.org, Product IO/Storage, Component Serial
ATA and send us the bug number for tracking?  Thanks much.




Added tag(s) upstream. Request was from Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sun, 19 Jun 2011 22:00:10 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#515201; Package linux-2.6. (Sun, 19 Jun 2011 23:39:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. (Sun, 19 Jun 2011 23:39:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #77 received at 515201@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com>
To: egross@bol.com.br
Cc: 515201@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: linux-image: sata drive connected via marvell controller crashes
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 18:35:30 -0500
Hi Eduardo,

egross@bol.com.br wrote:

> I am pleased to help with this. But I never reported something like
> that. If I copy our messages and send them to people at
> bugzilla.kernel.org would that be okay? Because I do not know
> programming language, and your formulation may be better understood
> than any try I would make in reproducing it.

Ah, sorry for the lack of clarity.  I would suggest describing the
symptoms (attaching a full dmesg if possible) and saying something
like "see http://bugs.debian.org/515201 for some armchair analysis" at
the end.

To summarize, as far as I can tell:

 - this is a bug in the "pata_marvell" driver

 - the "ahci" driver also knows how to work with these controllers,
   and a good workaround for systems with no PATA drives is to ask
   that driver to claim the device, using the marvell_enable option

 - the "ahci" driver seems to be better maintained, which is why I
   suggested that enhancing it to completely supersede pata_marvell
   might be a good way to go.  Of course, another possibility is to
   fix pata_marvell.  Upstream will know what to do.

Cheers,
Jonathan




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#515201; Package linux-2.6. (Mon, 20 Jun 2011 20:33:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. (Mon, 20 Jun 2011 20:33:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #82 received at 515201@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com>
To: egross@bol.com.br
Cc: 515201@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: linux-image: sata drive connected via marvell controller crashes
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 15:29:00 -0500
forwarded 515201 https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12075
quit

egross@bol.com.br wrote:

> I put a message on bugzilla.kernel.org, on bug report 12075. I found
> two reports on Marvell sata controllers, and chose the most recent
> one, in spite of the fact that it deals with 6145 controller, while
> mine is a 6121. But, as I understand, the issue is the same.

Thanks, Eduardo.  Marking accordingly.




Set Bug forwarded-to-address to 'https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12075'. Request was from Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Mon, 20 Jun 2011 20:33:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Added tag(s) fixed-upstream. Request was from bts-link-upstream@lists.alioth.debian.org to control@bugs.debian.org. (Thu, 17 May 2012 18:12:38 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Removed tag(s) fixed-upstream. Request was from bts-link-upstream@lists.alioth.debian.org to control@bugs.debian.org. (Mon, 21 May 2012 16:39:18 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#515201; Package linux-2.6. (Tue, 22 May 2012 17:15:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. (Tue, 22 May 2012 17:15:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #93 received at 515201@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com>
To: egross@bol.com.br
Cc: 515201@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: linux-image: sata drive connected via marvell controller crashes
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 12:13:31 -0500
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Hi Eduardo,

egross@bol.com.br wrote:

> Anyway, now only the second command is needed in an archive in the
> directory modprobe.d in order to all work well - boot does not fail
> and the external drive connected to sata controller works perfectly.
> So, the main command seems to be "options ahci marvell_enable=1".

Please test the attached patch with the marvell_enable parameter
temporarily removed (instructions are at [1]).

(If the patch works correctly, the external drive will not be
visible and the kernel log will contain some useful information.)

Thanks,
Jonathan

[1] http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html#s-common-official
or the corresponding page from the debian-kernel-handbook package
[libata-pata_marvell-CONFIG_AHCI-is-really-CONFIG_SAT.patch (text/plain, attachment)]

Added tag(s) fixed-upstream. Request was from bts-link-upstream@lists.alioth.debian.org to control@bugs.debian.org. (Thu, 24 May 2012 21:21:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Wed Apr 23 17:10:02 2014; Machine Name: buxtehude.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.