Debian Bug report logs - #503591
Please don't include yet another copy of tzdata in the archive

version graph

Package: libtzinfo-ruby; Maintainer for libtzinfo-ruby is Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>; Source for libtzinfo-ruby is src:ruby-tzinfo.

Reported by: Ken Bloom <kbloom@gmail.com>

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:57:01 UTC

Owned by: Hleb Valoshka <375gnu@gmail.com>

Severity: serious

Found in version libtzinfo-ruby/0.3.10-1

Fixed in version ruby-tzinfo/0.3.33-3

Done: Dmitry Borodaenko <angdraug@debian.org>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, des@debian.org, unknown-package@qa.debian.org:
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:57:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to des@debian.org, unknown-package@qa.debian.org. (Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:57:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: Please don't include yet another copy of tzdata in the archive
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 21:54:26 +0100
X-Debbugs-CC: des@debian.org
Severity: serious
Package: libtzinfo-ruby
Version: 0.3.10-1

Hi Roberto,

unfortunately, Damián's mail does not seem to have been sent to
-submitter and escaped the ftpmaster evaluating the package.

Can you please make sure that a solution for tzinfo in Ruby is found
that does NOT duplicate the timezone data, neither in the source nor
binary packages?
If it cannot be done with the current scheme, upstream needs to come up
with a way better way of packaging this. It's silly to take any database
and compile it into programs.

Kind regards

T.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Please don't include yet another copy of tzdata in the archive
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 11:51:14 -0300
From: Damián Viano <des@debian.org>
To: 499907@bugs.debian.org
CC: ftpmaster@debian.org

(CCing ftpmaster so they don't miss this bit)

Hi,

Please, make your package use the system timezone.

  "The tz database is compiled into Ruby modules which are packaged in
  the release. No external zoneinfo files are required at runtime."

That really isn't a feature in Debian, it's needless duplicating tzdata
information (which is always installed since libc6 depends on it) with
the associated maintenance burden.

We already gone trough this with:

php #447174
postgresql #458927
python-tz #416202

And still have to deal with:

java 474595


Please don't add your package to the list.

I hate to have to vote for rejecting a package, but I really think is
for the best. I know some ruby so if you need help with a patch or
something, just mention it in this bug.

Thanks for taking this in consideration.

  Damián Viano(Des).


-- 
Thomas Viehmann, http://thomas.viehmann.net/





Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>:
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Mon, 27 Oct 2008 00:12:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>. (Mon, 27 Oct 2008 00:12:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 503591@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>
To: 503591@bugs.debian.org
Cc: 503591-submitter@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Please don't include yet another copy of tzdata in the archive
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 17:57:18 -0400
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 09:54:26PM +0100, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> X-Debbugs-CC: des@debian.org
> Severity: serious
> Package: libtzinfo-ruby
> Version: 0.3.10-1
> 
> Hi Roberto,
> 
> unfortunately, Damián's mail does not seem to have been sent to
> -submitter and escaped the ftpmaster evaluating the package.
> 
Thanks for letting me know.

> Can you please make sure that a solution for tzinfo in Ruby is found
> that does NOT duplicate the timezone data, neither in the source nor
> binary packages?
> If it cannot be done with the current scheme, upstream needs to come up
> with a way better way of packaging this. It's silly to take any database
> and compile it into programs.
> 
Hmm.  I will get in touch with upstream and see what changes can be
made.

> Kind regards
> 
> T.
> 
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Please don't include yet another copy of tzdata in the archive
> Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 11:51:14 -0300
> From: Damián Viano <des@debian.org>
> To: 499907@bugs.debian.org
> CC: ftpmaster@debian.org
> 
> (CCing ftpmaster so they don't miss this bit)
> 
> Hi,
> 
> Please, make your package use the system timezone.
> 
>   "The tz database is compiled into Ruby modules which are packaged in
>   the release. No external zoneinfo files are required at runtime."
> 
> That really isn't a feature in Debian, it's needless duplicating tzdata
> information (which is always installed since libc6 depends on it) with
> the associated maintenance burden.
> 
> We already gone trough this with:
> 
> php #447174
> postgresql #458927
> python-tz #416202
> 
> And still have to deal with:
> 
> java 474595
> 
> 
> Please don't add your package to the list.
> 
> I hate to have to vote for rejecting a package, but I really think is
> for the best. I know some ruby so if you need help with a patch or
> something, just mention it in this bug.
> 
> Thanks for taking this in consideration.
> 
>   Damián Viano(Des).
> 
I was not aware of what a problem this is/was.  The primary motivation
for packaging libtzinfo-ruby is for libactivesupport-ruby.  In fact, I
have an update to libactivesupport-ruby currently waiting for both
libtzinfo-ruby and libmemcache-client-ruby to enter the archive so that
I can upload it.  One of the lines in the changelog is this:

   * Now depend on the new libmemcache-client-ruby and libtzinfo-ruby packages
     rather than using the embedded sources from the upstream tarball

libactivesupport-ruby ships these directories in its source:
builder-2.1.2  memcache-client-1.5.0  tzinfo-0.3.9  xml-simple-1.0.11

I thought that it would be better to have actual packages for tzinfo and
memcache-client (xml-simple and builder are already packaged for Debian)
than to continue using the ones shipped as part of the
libactivesupport-ruby package sources.  My rationale was that someone
could legitimately file an RC bug against libactivesupport-ruby for
using embedded sources in that manner.

The situation initially escaped my notice and when I realized the
situation, I consulted with AthenaCR (who hired me to maintain
libactivesupport-ruby and libactiverecord-ruby, among other packages for
them) and they were in agreement.  Hence I filed an ITP and packaged
libtzinfo-ruby.

All that said, should I hold off uploading libactivesupport-ruby since
it will depend on libtzinfo-ruby?

I do intend to work with upstream as suggested.

Regards,

-Roberto

-- 
Roberto C. Sánchez
http://people.connexer.com/~roberto
http://www.connexer.com
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Message sent on to Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de>:
Bug#503591. (Mon, 27 Oct 2008 00:12:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information stored :
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Mon, 27 Oct 2008 17:33:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de>:
Extra info received and filed, but not forwarded. (Mon, 27 Oct 2008 17:33:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #18 received at 503591-quiet@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de>
To: "Roberto C. Sánchez" <roberto@connexer.com>, 503591-quiet@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#503591: Please don't include yet another copy of tzdata in the archive
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 18:29:39 +0100
Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> All that said, should I hold off uploading libactivesupport-ruby since
> it will depend on libtzinfo-ruby?
Well, ideally, you (or upstream) would create something for ruby that
works properly in the sense that it uses the tzinfo data. The timezone
definitions are enough of a dance as is (because they seem to change too
frequent, just look at stable,volatile,testing-updtates) and make
whatever needs timezone information in ruby use that. I'm all for
batteries included and all that, but for Debian users there really is no
added value and enough hassle in the current approach to not want that.
As for holding back stuff, I'll leave that to your judgement (and your
expectation how fast you can resolve stuff with upstream).

> I do intend to work with upstream as suggested.
Thanks!

Kind regards

T.
-- 
Thomas Viehmann, http://thomas.viehmann.net/




Information stored :
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:21:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>:
Extra info received and filed, but not forwarded. (Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:21:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #23 received at 503591-quiet@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>
To: Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de>
Cc: 503591-quiet@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#503591: Please don't include yet another copy of tzdata in the archive
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 14:48:47 -0400
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 06:29:39PM +0100, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> > All that said, should I hold off uploading libactivesupport-ruby since
> > it will depend on libtzinfo-ruby?
> Well, ideally, you (or upstream) would create something for ruby that
> works properly in the sense that it uses the tzinfo data. The timezone
> definitions are enough of a dance as is (because they seem to change too
> frequent, just look at stable,volatile,testing-updtates) and make
> whatever needs timezone information in ruby use that. I'm all for
> batteries included and all that, but for Debian users there really is no
> added value and enough hassle in the current approach to not want that.
> As for holding back stuff, I'll leave that to your judgement (and your
> expectation how fast you can resolve stuff with upstream).
> 
OK.  I understand the need to get this sorted out rather quickly.
However, I think that leaving the current libactivesupport-ruby as is
may have the potential for more problems (using embedded sources of
other packages is generally considered bad).  So, I will go ahead and
perform the upload.  I will contact upstream and least inform them of
the problem and see what can be done.

Regards,

-Roberto

-- 
Roberto C. Sánchez
http://people.connexer.com/~roberto
http://www.connexer.com
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>:
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:06:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to "Chanoch (Ken) Bloom" <kbloom@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>. (Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:06:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #28 received at 503591@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: "Chanoch (Ken) Bloom" <kbloom@gmail.com>
To: 503591@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Ruby/TZFile
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:01:22 -0500
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
I'm not sure if these implement the same interface, but ruby-tzfile
has the same goal as libtzinfo-ruby, and reads its time zones from the
system tzdata interface

http://www.a-k-r.org/ruby-tzfile/index.html

-- 
Chanoch (Ken) Bloom. PhD candidate. Linguistic Cognition Laboratory.
Department of Computer Science. Illinois Institute of Technology.
http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>:
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:30:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>. (Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:30:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #33 received at 503591@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>
To: "Chanoch (Ken) Bloom" <kbloom@gmail.com>, 503591@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#503591: Ruby/TZFile
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:27:21 -0400
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 11:01:22AM -0500, Chanoch (Ken) Bloom wrote:
> I'm not sure if these implement the same interface, but ruby-tzfile
> has the same goal as libtzinfo-ruby, and reads its time zones from the
> system tzdata interface
> 
> http://www.a-k-r.org/ruby-tzfile/index.html
> 
Great!  Thanks for the info.

Regards,

-Roberto

-- 
Roberto C. Sánchez
http://people.connexer.com/~roberto
http://www.connexer.com
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>:
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Fri, 31 Oct 2008 17:48:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>. (Fri, 31 Oct 2008 17:48:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #38 received at 503591@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>
To: phil.ross@gmail.com, akr@fsij.org, david@loudthinking.com
Cc: 503591@bugs.debian.org, tzinfo List <tzinfo-users@rubyforge.org>, Debian Ruby Extras Team <pkg-ruby-extras-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Subject: Ruby and timezones
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:45:17 -0400
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
All,

First let me apologize for the length of this mail.  However, there are
a number of issues and I want to make sure I do not leave out anything.

A while back I was engaged to package Active Record and Active Support
into libactiverecord-ruby and libactivesupport-ruby for Debian and
Ubuntu.  At the time I created the initial packages, I noticed that
Active Support shipped a vendor directory containing builder,
memcache-client, tzinfo, and xml-simple.  The builder and xml-simple
were already packaged for Debian.  The other two were not, so I went
ahead and used the embedded sources from within libactiverecord-ruby, as
that is how it was shipped.

Later on, I realized that it would be better to package tzinfo and
memcache-client into separate Debian packages, as using embedded sources
is generally frowned upon in Debian.  So, I created the libtzinfo-ruby
and libmemcache-client-ruby packages.

Right after the libtzinfo-ruby package was accepted, bug #503591 [0] was
filed in the Debian BTS.  The bug's title is "Please don't include yet
another copy of tzdata in the archive".  So, I am emailing you, the
authors of tzinfo, ruby-tzfile, and activesupport, to see if there is a
way that we can make this work so that activesupport can remain in
Debian.  (ruby-tzfile was recommended as a possibility by a user who
sent a follow-up message to #503591)

Here are three options:

 1. Modify libactivesupport-ruby to use ruby-tzfile
    - Requires packaging ruby-tzfile into Debian (which I would do)
    - Requires modifying libactivesupport-ruby (could this be done
      upstream?)

 2. Modify libactivesupport-ruby to use ruby-tzfile or tzinfo (depending
    on which is installed).
    - Same issues as above

 3. Modify tzinfo to no longer embed the zone data and use the data from
    /usr/share/zoneinfo instead.
    - Requires modifying libtzinfo-ruby (could this be done upstream?)
    - May have impacts on other platforms at which tzinfo is targeted
      that do not ship zoneinfo (is this why the zone data are shipped
      embedded?)

In any event, it is important to either remove libtzinfo-ruby's zone
data files from Debian (or remove libtzinfo-ruby entirely).  However,
people are using libactivesupport-ruby in Debian and I would hate to see
libactivesupport-ruby removed on account having to remove
libtzinfo-ruby.  So, one of libtzinfo-ruby or libactivesupport-ruby will
need to be modified.

Regards,

-Roberto

[0] http://bugs.debian.org/503591

-- 
Roberto C. Sánchez
http://people.connexer.com/~roberto
http://www.connexer.com
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>:
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Fri, 31 Oct 2008 17:57:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>. (Fri, 31 Oct 2008 17:57:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #43 received at 503591@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>
To: 503591@bugs.debian.org
Cc: 503591-submitter@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Please don't include yet another copy of tzdata in the archive
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:55:43 -0400
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 09:54:26PM +0100, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> X-Debbugs-CC: des@debian.org
> Severity: serious
> Package: libtzinfo-ruby
> Version: 0.3.10-1
> 
> Hi Roberto,
> 
> unfortunately, Damián's mail does not seem to have been sent to
> -submitter and escaped the ftpmaster evaluating the package.
> 
> Can you please make sure that a solution for tzinfo in Ruby is found
> that does NOT duplicate the timezone data, neither in the source nor
> binary packages?
> If it cannot be done with the current scheme, upstream needs to come up
> with a way better way of packaging this. It's silly to take any database
> and compile it into programs.
> 
Incidentally, if this issue is resolved and libactivesupport-ruby is
fixed, but continues to ship the zone data, or if libtzinfo-ruby is
fixed to use the system's zone data but continues to ship the zone data
(in both cases that would be for platforms that perhaps don't include
it), then do I need to be repacking the upstream tarball to remove those
zone data files?

Regards,

-Roberto
-- 
Roberto C. Sánchez
http://people.connexer.com/~roberto
http://www.connexer.com
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Message sent on to Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de>:
Bug#503591. (Fri, 31 Oct 2008 17:57:07 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>:
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Sun, 02 Nov 2008 00:51:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to "Chanoch (Ken) Bloom" <kbloom@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>. (Sun, 02 Nov 2008 00:51:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #51 received at 503591@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: "Chanoch (Ken) Bloom" <kbloom@gmail.com>
To: 503591@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Regeneration?
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 19:48:12 -0500
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
The build process for the tzdata package involves running zic
(included in libc6) on a collection of text source files downloaded
from upstream, and included in the tzdata source package (but not the
binary package). This creates the binary files in /usr/share/zoneinfo

libtzinfo-ruby has a script in lib/tzinfo/tzdataparser.rb that parses
the same text source files, and regenerates the ruby scripts in
libtzinfo-ruby. Perhaps the easiest way to fix this for lenny is to
convince the tzdata maintainer to install the text source files as
well (either in tzdata or a separate package), and then use those at
install time to generate brand new ruby versions. Then to deal with
updates, set up a dpkg trigger that regenerates the ruby files when
the text sources are updated.

Alternatively, one could port the /usr/share/zoneinfo parser
from ruby-tzfile and integrate it into libtzinfo-ruby, with a
fallback to the embedded ruby files if /usr/share/zoneinfo doesn't
exist (e.g. a non-Linux system, so that this port could be included
upstream). I spent some time on Friday trying my hand at such a port,
but I have no idea how to integrate it properly, and I have noticed
that some of the information in the ruby scripts (specifically the
difference between "the current timezone rules" and "standard time")
is not derivable at all from the data in /usr/share/zoneinfo

libtzinfo-ruby and ruby-tzdata have different enough interfaces that I
doubt it will be feasible (or desirable) to port rails to use
ruby-tzfile.

ruby-tzfile creates its own completely different (incompatible) set of
time objects from Ruby's builtin.  Mathematical operations on
ruby-tzdata objects are specified in seconds, while mathematical
operations on Ruby's built-in time objects are specified in days.

libtzinfo-ruby performs conversion on Ruby's built-in Time objects.

Also, ruby-tzfile has not been updated in over a year.

--Ken

-- 
Chanoch (Ken) Bloom. PhD candidate. Linguistic Cognition Laboratory.
Department of Computer Science. Illinois Institute of Technology.
http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>:
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Sun, 02 Nov 2008 02:09:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>. (Sun, 02 Nov 2008 02:09:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #56 received at 503591@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>
To: "Chanoch (Ken) Bloom" <kbloom@gmail.com>, 503591@bugs.debian.org
Cc: 503591-submitter@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#503591: Regeneration?
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 22:07:19 -0400
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Ken,

Thanks for the quick reply.

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 07:48:12PM -0500, Chanoch (Ken) Bloom wrote:
> The build process for the tzdata package involves running zic
> (included in libc6) on a collection of text source files downloaded
> from upstream, and included in the tzdata source package (but not the
> binary package). This creates the binary files in /usr/share/zoneinfo
> 
> libtzinfo-ruby has a script in lib/tzinfo/tzdataparser.rb that parses
> the same text source files, and regenerates the ruby scripts in
> libtzinfo-ruby. Perhaps the easiest way to fix this for lenny is to
> convince the tzdata maintainer to install the text source files as
> well (either in tzdata or a separate package), and then use those at
> install time to generate brand new ruby versions. Then to deal with
> updates, set up a dpkg trigger that regenerates the ruby files when
> the text sources are updated.
> 
The libtzinfo-ruby was only recently passed through NEW.  Since it just
entered Sid (and we are months into the freeze), we are not pressured by
trying to figure something out in time for a Lenny release.

> Alternatively, one could port the /usr/share/zoneinfo parser
> from ruby-tzfile and integrate it into libtzinfo-ruby, with a
> fallback to the embedded ruby files if /usr/share/zoneinfo doesn't
> exist (e.g. a non-Linux system, so that this port could be included
> upstream). I spent some time on Friday trying my hand at such a port,
> but I have no idea how to integrate it properly, and I have noticed
> that some of the information in the ruby scripts (specifically the
> difference between "the current timezone rules" and "standard time")
> is not derivable at all from the data in /usr/share/zoneinfo
> 
I think that such a fallback would be a good approach.  From the
perspective of Debian, I can simply write a repack.sh script that strips
out those zone data sources from the upstream tarball.  This would be OK
for the Debian (and its derivative's) package since we can guarantee the
presence of /usr/share/zoneinfo.

> libtzinfo-ruby and ruby-tzdata have different enough interfaces that I
> doubt it will be feasible (or desirable) to port rails to use
> ruby-tzfile.
> 
> ruby-tzfile creates its own completely different (incompatible) set of
> time objects from Ruby's builtin.  Mathematical operations on
> ruby-tzdata objects are specified in seconds, while mathematical
> operations on Ruby's built-in time objects are specified in days.
> 
> libtzinfo-ruby performs conversion on Ruby's built-in Time objects.
> 
> Also, ruby-tzfile has not been updated in over a year.
> 
I figured that they were different, but that it couldn't hurt to
consider it as an option.

Regards,

-Roberto

-- 
Roberto C. Sánchez
http://people.connexer.com/~roberto
http://www.connexer.com
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Message sent on to Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de>:
Bug#503591. (Sun, 02 Nov 2008 02:09:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>:
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Thu, 06 Nov 2008 22:51:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to "Philip Ross" <phil.ross@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>. (Thu, 06 Nov 2008 22:51:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #64 received at 503591@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: "Philip Ross" <phil.ross@gmail.com>
To: "Roberto C. Sánchez" <roberto@connexer.com>, 503591@bugs.debian.org
Cc: tzinfo-users@rubyforge.org
Subject: Re: Ruby and timezones
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 22:48:52 +0000
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Hi Roberto,

2008/10/31 Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 07:32:13PM +0000, Philip Ross wrote:
>> 2008/10/31 Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>:
>> >  3. Modify tzinfo to no longer embed the zone data and use the data from
>> >    /usr/share/zoneinfo instead.
>> >    - Requires modifying libtzinfo-ruby (could this be done upstream?)
>>
>> I've been considering making TZInfo optionally support using locally
>> installed zoneinfo files for a while (primarily to support creating
>> distro packages). Unfortunately, I've not had much time to look into
>> this.
>>
>> I was thinking of separating the current API+data gem into a core API
>> gem and separate data and zoneinfo gems. It may also be possible to
>> create an interim patch for Debian to make TZInfo use the zoneinfo
>> files instead of the bundled data. I'll try and take a look into what
>> be involved sometime next week.
>>
> That would be excellent.

I've attached a patch against TZInfo 0.3.11 that makes it use zoneinfo
files instead of the built in timezone modules. By default it will try
and locate a zoneinfo directory in /usr/share, /usr/share/lib and
/etc. This can be overridden by the user by setting
TZInfo::ZoneinfoTimezoneInfo.zoneinfo_dir.

I've tested this by comparing the output for all timezones in tzdata
v2008i against the output of zdump (see the /utils/zdumptestall.sh
test script in SVN). Note that the patch will break a couple of the
included unit tests that rely on data though.

With the patch applied you won't need to include the definitions
directory. You will however still need the indexes directory. The
indexes contain a list of all the timezones and a list of timezones by
country and need to be in sync with the installed zoneinfo version.
I'll take a look at replacing the indexes with code that scans the
zoneinfo directory and reads /usr/share/zoneinfo/iso3166.tab,
/usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab.

There is also an issue regarding information available in the TZInfo
data modules that doesn't appear to be in the zoneinfo files. TZInfo
is able to report how much the daylight savings offset is
independently of the offset from UTC. For zoneinfo files, I'm
currently having to assume that the daylight savings offset is always
1 hour. This is usually always the case, but I'll try and find a
better fix.

Over the next few weeks I'll try and integrate the zoneinfo support
into TZInfo properly and make a release that makes the included data
optional.

Please let me know if you find any issues or have any questions.

Regards,

Phil

-- 
Phil Ross
http://tzinfo.rubyforge.org/ -- DST-aware timezone library for Ruby
[tzinfo_zoneinfo_v1.diff (application/octet-stream, attachment)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>:
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Thu, 06 Nov 2008 23:18:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>. (Thu, 06 Nov 2008 23:18:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #69 received at 503591@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>
To: Philip Ross <phil.ross@gmail.com>
Cc: 503591@bugs.debian.org, tzinfo-users@rubyforge.org, 503591-submitter@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Ruby and timezones
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 18:17:15 -0500
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Hi Phil,

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 10:48:52PM +0000, Philip Ross wrote:
> 
> I've attached a patch against TZInfo 0.3.11 that makes it use zoneinfo
> files instead of the built in timezone modules. By default it will try
> and locate a zoneinfo directory in /usr/share, /usr/share/lib and
> /etc. This can be overridden by the user by setting
> TZInfo::ZoneinfoTimezoneInfo.zoneinfo_dir.
> 
Awesome.

> I've tested this by comparing the output for all timezones in tzdata
> v2008i against the output of zdump (see the /utils/zdumptestall.sh
> test script in SVN). Note that the patch will break a couple of the
> included unit tests that rely on data though.
> 
OK.  Would you consider making the tests conditional by providing an
option to enable/disable them?  Or maybe have the tests check for their
presence first?

> With the patch applied you won't need to include the definitions
> directory. You will however still need the indexes directory. The
> indexes contain a list of all the timezones and a list of timezones by
> country and need to be in sync with the installed zoneinfo version.
> I'll take a look at replacing the indexes with code that scans the
> zoneinfo directory and reads /usr/share/zoneinfo/iso3166.tab,
> /usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab.
> 
OK.  This is also very good, especially once you implement code that
replaces the need for shipping the indexes.

> There is also an issue regarding information available in the TZInfo
> data modules that doesn't appear to be in the zoneinfo files. TZInfo
> is able to report how much the daylight savings offset is
> independently of the offset from UTC. For zoneinfo files, I'm
> currently having to assume that the daylight savings offset is always
> 1 hour. This is usually always the case, but I'll try and find a
> better fix.
> 
Well, we could always force the various national and local governments
to standardize on a one hour offset.  On second thought, you might get
something done quicker by code changes :-)

> Over the next few weeks I'll try and integrate the zoneinfo support
> into TZInfo properly and make a release that makes the included data
> optional.
> 
That would be excellent.

> Please let me know if you find any issues or have any questions.
> 
Do you intend to make two separate releases (one with zone data and one
without), or just one release and have me remove the zone data as part
of the Debian packaging process?

Regards,

-Roberto

-- 
Roberto C. Sánchez
http://people.connexer.com/~roberto
http://www.connexer.com
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Message sent on to Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de>:
Bug#503591. (Thu, 06 Nov 2008 23:18:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>:
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Thu, 06 Nov 2008 23:27:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to "Philip Ross" <phil.ross@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>. (Thu, 06 Nov 2008 23:27:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #77 received at 503591@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: "Philip Ross" <phil.ross@gmail.com>
To: "Philip Ross" <phil.ross@gmail.com>, 503591@bugs.debian.org, tzinfo-users@rubyforge.org, 503591-submitter@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Ruby and timezones
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 23:26:10 +0000
Hi Roberto,

2008/11/6 Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>:
> On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 10:48:52PM +0000, Philip Ross wrote:
>> I've tested this by comparing the output for all timezones in tzdata
>> v2008i against the output of zdump (see the /utils/zdumptestall.sh
>> test script in SVN). Note that the patch will break a couple of the
>> included unit tests that rely on data though.
>>
> OK.  Would you consider making the tests conditional by providing an
> option to enable/disable them?  Or maybe have the tests check for their
> presence first?

I'll sort out these tests (probably by making them not rely on real timezones).

> Do you intend to make two separate releases (one with zone data and one
> without), or just one release and have me remove the zone data as part
> of the Debian packaging process?

I'll release a core API package with an addon containing the data.
You'll be able to use the core API for the Debian package.

Regards,

Phil

-- 
Phil Ross
http://tzinfo.rubyforge.org/ -- DST-aware timezone library for Ruby




Message sent on to Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de>:
Bug#503591. (Thu, 06 Nov 2008 23:27:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>:
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Thu, 06 Nov 2008 23:36:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>. (Thu, 06 Nov 2008 23:36:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #85 received at 503591@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>
To: General discussion for TZInfo users <tzinfo-users@rubyforge.org>
Cc: Philip Ross <phil.ross@gmail.com>, 503591@bugs.debian.org, 503591-submitter@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: [TZInfo-users] Ruby and timezones
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 18:31:23 -0500
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 11:26:10PM +0000, Philip Ross wrote:
> Hi Roberto,
> 
> 2008/11/6 Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>:
> > On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 10:48:52PM +0000, Philip Ross wrote:
> >> I've tested this by comparing the output for all timezones in tzdata
> >> v2008i against the output of zdump (see the /utils/zdumptestall.sh
> >> test script in SVN). Note that the patch will break a couple of the
> >> included unit tests that rely on data though.
> >>
> > OK.  Would you consider making the tests conditional by providing an
> > option to enable/disable them?  Or maybe have the tests check for their
> > presence first?
> 
> I'll sort out these tests (probably by making them not rely on real timezones).
> 
> > Do you intend to make two separate releases (one with zone data and one
> > without), or just one release and have me remove the zone data as part
> > of the Debian packaging process?
> 
> I'll release a core API package with an addon containing the data.
> You'll be able to use the core API for the Debian package.
> 
Awesome!  I really appreciate everything you are doing to help improve
Debian.

Regards,

-Roberto

-- 
Roberto C. Sánchez
http://people.connexer.com/~roberto
http://www.connexer.com
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Message sent on to Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de>:
Bug#503591. (Thu, 06 Nov 2008 23:36:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>:
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Fri, 17 Apr 2009 02:42:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>. (Fri, 17 Apr 2009 02:42:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #93 received at 503591@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>
To: General discussion for TZInfo users <tzinfo-users@rubyforge.org>
Cc: Philip Ross <phil.ross@gmail.com>, 503591@bugs.debian.org, 503591-submitter@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: [TZInfo-users] Ruby and timezones
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 22:37:52 -0400
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 11:26:10PM +0000, Philip Ross wrote:
> 
> I'll release a core API package with an addon containing the data.
> You'll be able to use the core API for the Debian package.
> 
Hi Phil,

I saw tonight that a new release of tzinfo-ruby is available.  I was
wondering if your plan to split the data and the core API is coming
soon, or if you are planning it for further down the road.

I ask because I'd really like to see this make it into Debian Squeeze.

Regards,

-Roberto

-- 
Roberto C. Sánchez
http://people.connexer.com/~roberto
http://www.connexer.com
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Message sent on to Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de>:
Bug#503591. (Fri, 17 Apr 2009 02:42:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>:
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:00:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Philip Ross <phil.ross@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>. (Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:00:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #101 received at 503591@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Philip Ross <phil.ross@gmail.com>
To: Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>, 503591-quiet@bugs.debian.org, General discussion for TZInfo users <tzinfo-users@rubyforge.org>, Philip Ross <phil.ross@gmail.com>, 503591@bugs.debian.org, 503591-submitter@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#503591: [TZInfo-users] Ruby and timezones
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:56:37 +0100
2009/4/17 Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>:
> On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 11:26:10PM +0000, Philip Ross wrote:
>>
>> I'll release a core API package with an addon containing the data.
>> You'll be able to use the core API for the Debian package.
>>
> Hi Phil,
>
> I saw tonight that a new release of tzinfo-ruby is available.  I was
> wondering if your plan to split the data and the core API is coming
> soon, or if you are planning it for further down the road.
>
> I ask because I'd really like to see this make it into Debian Squeeze.

Hi Roberto,

The latest release (v0.3.13) is primarily just a tzdata update.

Unfortunately, I've not had as much time as I would have liked to work
on splitting the data and core API. I've drawn up a plan, but not had
a chance to get too far into the implementation. I should be able to
get the time to make the changes soon (certainly within the timeframe
for Debian Squeeze).

Regards,

Phil




Information stored :
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:00:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Philip Ross <phil.ross@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and filed, but not forwarded. (Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:00:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message sent on to Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de>:
Bug#503591. (Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:00:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Bug closed, send any further explanations to Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de> Request was from Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sun, 02 Aug 2009 12:21:11 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Changed Bug submitter to 'Ken Bloom <kbloom@gmail.com>' from 'Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de>' Request was from Ken Bloom <kbloom@gmail.com> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Thu, 06 Aug 2009 22:45:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Did not alter fixed versions and reopened. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Thu, 06 Aug 2009 22:45:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>:
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Sun, 03 Jan 2010 18:12:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to "Chanoch (Ken) Bloom" <kbloom@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>. (Sun, 03 Jan 2010 18:12:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #120 received at 503591@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: "Chanoch (Ken) Bloom" <kbloom@gmail.com>
To: 503591@bugs.debian.org
Subject: This bug hasn't been touched in a while
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 10:09:39 -0800
This bug (to remove embedded timezone information from ruby-tzinfo)
hasn't been touched in a while. The bug is still release-critical, and
is now in testing also. (And ActiveSupport depends on ruby-tzinfo).
Has there been any progress on fixing it?

--Ken

-- 
Chanoch (Ken) Bloom. PhD candidate. Linguistic Cognition Laboratory.
Department of Computer Science. Illinois Institute of Technology.
http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>:
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Sun, 03 Jan 2010 20:18:13 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to "Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@connexer.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>. (Sun, 03 Jan 2010 20:18:13 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #125 received at 503591@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: "Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@connexer.com>
To: "Chanoch (Ken) Bloom" <kbloom@gmail.com>, 503591@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#503591: This bug hasn't been touched in a while
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 15:15:22 -0500
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Chanoch (Ken) Bloom wrote:
> This bug (to remove embedded timezone information from ruby-tzinfo)
> hasn't been touched in a while. The bug is still release-critical, and
> is now in testing also. (And ActiveSupport depends on ruby-tzinfo).
> Has there been any progress on fixing it?
> 
> --Ken
> 

Upstream had indicated an intention to separate out the actual timezone
data (for systems, like Windows, that do not include a system-wide
standard timezone database, like is included in libc).  However, I have
not heard anything and the last couple of updates have been very
limited.  I will ping upstream again and see what is going on.

Regards,

-Roberto

-- 
Roberto C. Sánchez
http://people.connexer.com/~roberto
http://www.connexer.com

[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, attachment)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>:
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Sun, 03 Jan 2010 22:03:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Philip Ross <phil.ross@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>. (Sun, 03 Jan 2010 22:03:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #130 received at 503591@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Philip Ross <phil.ross@gmail.com>
To: 503591@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#503591: This bug hasn't been touched in a while
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 21:56:25 +0000
2010/1/3 Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@connexer.com>:
> Upstream had indicated an intention to separate out the actual timezone
> data (for systems, like Windows, that do not include a system-wide
> standard timezone database, like is included in libc).  However, I have
> not heard anything and the last couple of updates have been very
> limited.  I will ping upstream again and see what is going on.

Unfortunately, I've not had the time to make the necessary changes.
The last few TZInfo releases have been mainly just been updates to the
timezone database.

At the moment, I'm not sure whether I'll have the time needed to make
the changes before the planned freeze for Squeeze in March.

Regards,

Phil
(TZInfo Upstream)




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>:
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Mon, 04 Jan 2010 02:42:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to "Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@connexer.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>. (Mon, 04 Jan 2010 02:42:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #135 received at 503591@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: "Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@connexer.com>
To: Philip Ross <phil.ross@gmail.com>, 503591@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#503591: This bug hasn't been touched in a while
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 21:37:16 -0500
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Philip Ross wrote:
> 2010/1/3 Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@connexer.com>:
>> Upstream had indicated an intention to separate out the actual timezone
>> data (for systems, like Windows, that do not include a system-wide
>> standard timezone database, like is included in libc).  However, I have
>> not heard anything and the last couple of updates have been very
>> limited.  I will ping upstream again and see what is going on.
> 
> Unfortunately, I've not had the time to make the necessary changes.
> The last few TZInfo releases have been mainly just been updates to the
> timezone database.
> 
> At the moment, I'm not sure whether I'll have the time needed to make
> the changes before the planned freeze for Squeeze in March.
> 
> Regards,
> 
> Phil
> (TZInfo Upstream)
> 
> 

Phil,

Thanks for the update.  If it turns out that we get to the freeze and
the change has not happened, then I will probably request that the
package be removed from Squeeze.  Then we can try again for Squeeze+1.

Regards,

-Roberto

-- 
Roberto C. Sánchez
http://people.connexer.com/~roberto
http://www.connexer.com

[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, attachment)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>:
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Mon, 19 Jul 2010 15:21:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Torsten Werner <twerner@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>. (Mon, 19 Jul 2010 15:21:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #140 received at 503591@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Torsten Werner <twerner@debian.org>
To: 503591@bugs.debian.org
Cc: control@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Bug #503591: Please don't include yet another copy of tzdata in the archive
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 17:18:09 +0200
severity 503591 important
thanks

Hi,

I am downgrading the severity of this bug because embedding time zone
data is not as severe as code duplication.

Torsten




Severity set to 'important' from 'serious' Request was from Torsten Werner <twerner@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Mon, 19 Jul 2010 15:21:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>:
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Sat, 07 Jul 2012 21:15:45 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to shawn <shawnlandden@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>. (Sat, 07 Jul 2012 21:15:46 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #147 received at 503591@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: shawn <shawnlandden@gmail.com>
To: 503591@bugs.debian.org, control <control@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: Bug #503591: Please don't include yet another copy of tzdata in the archive
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2012 14:13:16 -0700
severity 503591 serious
stop

>I am downgrading the severity of this bug because embedding time zone
>data is not as severe as code duplication.

even if this data changes quite often, and is critical for accurate
calculations in many fields?
tzdata has to be changed quite often in stable releases, due to
legislation that changes
definitions of timezones, etc.

The recent leap second bug should be a warning that keeping time keeping
right is critical
and that having it duplicated in more than one place is a major pain.

this has languished an entire release and I believe it at least needs a
justification on why it
has not been fixed yet.
-- 
-Shawn Landden





Severity set to 'serious' from 'important' Request was from shawn <shawnlandden@gmail.com> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sat, 07 Jul 2012 21:16:34 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>:
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Wed, 11 Jul 2012 18:36:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Hleb Valoshka <375gnu@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>. (Wed, 11 Jul 2012 18:36:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #154 received at 503591@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Hleb Valoshka <375gnu@gmail.com>
To: shawn <shawnlandden@gmail.com>, 503591@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug #503591: Please don't include yet another copy of tzdata in the archive
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 21:33:28 +0300
On Sat, Jul 07, 2012 at 02:13:16PM -0700, shawn wrote:
> this has languished an entire release and I believe it at least needs a
> justification on why it has not been fixed yet.

Bugfix was uploaded to pkg-ruby-extras repo so I hope you'll help to test it.





Owner recorded as Hleb Valoshka <375gnu@gmail.com>. Request was from Hleb Valoshka <375gnu@gmail.com> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sat, 14 Jul 2012 06:45:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Reply sent to Dmitry Borodaenko <angdraug@debian.org>:
You have taken responsibility. (Sun, 29 Jul 2012 10:21:10 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to Ken Bloom <kbloom@gmail.com>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. (Sun, 29 Jul 2012 10:21:10 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #161 received at 503591-close@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Dmitry Borodaenko <angdraug@debian.org>
To: 503591-close@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Bug#503591: fixed in ruby-tzinfo 0.3.33-3
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 10:17:22 +0000
Source: ruby-tzinfo
Source-Version: 0.3.33-3

We believe that the bug you reported is fixed in the latest version of
ruby-tzinfo, which is due to be installed in the Debian FTP archive.

A summary of the changes between this version and the previous one is
attached.

Thank you for reporting the bug, which will now be closed.  If you
have further comments please address them to 503591@bugs.debian.org,
and the maintainer will reopen the bug report if appropriate.

Debian distribution maintenance software
pp.
Dmitry Borodaenko <angdraug@debian.org> (supplier of updated ruby-tzinfo package)

(This message was generated automatically at their request; if you
believe that there is a problem with it please contact the archive
administrators by mailing ftpmaster@debian.org)


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

Format: 1.8
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2012 12:26:58 +0300
Source: ruby-tzinfo
Binary: ruby-tzinfo libtzinfo-ruby libtzinfo-ruby1.8 libtzinfo-ruby1.9.1
Architecture: source all
Version: 0.3.33-3
Distribution: unstable
Urgency: low
Maintainer: Debian Ruby Extras Maintainers <pkg-ruby-extras-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Changed-By: Dmitry Borodaenko <angdraug@debian.org>
Description: 
 libtzinfo-ruby - Transitional package for ruby-tzinfo
 libtzinfo-ruby1.8 - Transitional package for ruby-tzinfo
 libtzinfo-ruby1.9.1 - Transitional package for ruby-tzinfo
 ruby-tzinfo - Daylight-savings aware timezone library
Closes: 503591
Changes: 
 ruby-tzinfo (0.3.33-3) unstable; urgency=low
 .
   * Use system timezome data (Closes: #503591).
Checksums-Sha1: 
 423b074e6b1ba1ce7108a53295c0480cf175c52b 1566 ruby-tzinfo_0.3.33-3.dsc
 e124fd35cb3ec253bf135a87a1cee1c797c028de 5819 ruby-tzinfo_0.3.33-3.debian.tar.gz
 ea35c85778c5264f1d1b8e30ce2e196122761614 60434 ruby-tzinfo_0.3.33-3_all.deb
 e9d7dc72895b0a9e36bf7be008178e8371d43f6d 9118 libtzinfo-ruby_0.3.33-3_all.deb
 dcae5367d3cc508eca3d6d69430f7593623459d8 9122 libtzinfo-ruby1.8_0.3.33-3_all.deb
 649deaabedf0fdb8570c39bd8d76b22f190b4197 9126 libtzinfo-ruby1.9.1_0.3.33-3_all.deb
Checksums-Sha256: 
 40d1ed931b6158cbb4d21798bbb0f038b42ad77bb38b6f9f78cd09cd21fb9776 1566 ruby-tzinfo_0.3.33-3.dsc
 fd14915cd4ec24d6ca33f352a2f15537c759673972a108fc905c218d912935ac 5819 ruby-tzinfo_0.3.33-3.debian.tar.gz
 0f5ceddebe4ccce0b622946f266342164f3b1fabd2e900b7b6770ea52f7a7b9f 60434 ruby-tzinfo_0.3.33-3_all.deb
 8867dfad15d66778af680a3d153fa7aa9585edd4fcefae9ac637e6f12ec7a0fb 9118 libtzinfo-ruby_0.3.33-3_all.deb
 42f699c3ada535a57ad10eae8ef2bb5e51866b5317059bdb9913c69dc6d466b8 9122 libtzinfo-ruby1.8_0.3.33-3_all.deb
 d73d39729f90e44762c715d1a4619a1f4599f53eb682becec044c5605f91d3c2 9126 libtzinfo-ruby1.9.1_0.3.33-3_all.deb
Files: 
 e718025d8886f1ea4cfc96db6675bf2c 1566 ruby optional ruby-tzinfo_0.3.33-3.dsc
 e3df0520dfe5bad7a3a8d1fc2764c77a 5819 ruby optional ruby-tzinfo_0.3.33-3.debian.tar.gz
 433f72b06b119ef878c92fca0ec20dfe 60434 ruby optional ruby-tzinfo_0.3.33-3_all.deb
 8e88b394bc7378b57a5fdfc937bedb2e 9118 oldlibs extra libtzinfo-ruby_0.3.33-3_all.deb
 fe3bec0ec8d8019e19219d276fe311ea 9122 oldlibs extra libtzinfo-ruby1.8_0.3.33-3_all.deb
 8b073dbfdcb03378f512f9cabcea996d 9126 oldlibs extra libtzinfo-ruby1.9.1_0.3.33-3_all.deb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.12 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEAREIAAYFAlAVC/kACgkQxhqJXoXuPg5ubQCfTcWqpJ5/3Wri8gW7PNQ8cVlZ
w48AoKfL+tjvCWTl+ttWDM/6tmmLmsUq
=GGcV
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>, Hleb Valoshka <375gnu@gmail.com>:
Bug#503591; Package libtzinfo-ruby. (Tue, 07 Aug 2012 18:06:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Josef Stribny <jstribny@redhat.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Athena Capital Research <acr-debian@athenacr.com>, Hleb Valoshka <375gnu@gmail.com>. (Tue, 07 Aug 2012 18:06:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #166 received at 503591@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Josef Stribny <jstribny@redhat.com>
To: 503591@bugs.debian.org
Subject: TZInfo that use zoneinfo db
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 13:11:52 -0400 (EDT)
Hi all,

I rewrote TZInfo a bit to use system-wide zoneinfo files. You can look at it at GitHub:
https://github.com/strzibny/tzinfo

I am trying to make this change with Phillip Ross as you can follow here:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=29620&group_id=894&atid=3525

Everybody is welcome to test it and comment on the current state.
Maybe we also make a version that doesn't include the Ruby modules with tzdata at all.

Thanks and best regards
Josef Stribny



Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Sun, 02 Jun 2013 08:28:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Sun Apr 20 21:55:10 2014; Machine Name: beach.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.