Debian Bug report logs - #493951
libpkg-guide: recommendations are contrary to accepted best practices

version graph

Package: libpkg-guide; Maintainer for libpkg-guide is (unknown);

Reported by: Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 06:33:26 UTC

Severity: serious

Tags: help

Found in version libpkg-guide/0.0.20070413

Fixed in version 0.0.20070413.2+rm

Done: Debian FTP Masters <ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Sandro Tosi <matrixhasu@gmail.com>:
Bug#493951; Package libpkg-guide. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to Sandro Tosi <matrixhasu@gmail.com>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>
To: submit@bugs.debian.org
Subject: libpkg-guide: recommendations are contrary to accepted best practices
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 23:32:18 -0700
Package: libpkg-guide
Version: 0.0.20070413
Severity: serious

The libpkg-guide that has been packaged and is now in the archive gives
recommendations regarding -dev package naming which are not at all
representative of a consensus in Debian.  We already have problems with
library maintainers inserting sonames into their -dev package names based on
the unclear/misguided advice of this document; shipping it in a stable
release would be seen by many as an endorsement by the Debian project, and
no such endorsement exists.  There *particularly* isn't such an endorsement
from the Debian release team, for whom gratuitous -dev package name changes
make library transitions more difficult by orders of magnitude.

This package should not be included in a stable release until the
recommendations have been revised to reflect best practices.

-- 
Steve Langasek                   Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
Debian Developer                   to set it on, and I can move the world.
Ubuntu Developer                                    http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com                                     vorlon@debian.org




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Sandro Tosi <matrixhasu@gmail.com>:
Bug#493951; Package libpkg-guide. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to "Sandro Tosi" <matrixhasu@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Sandro Tosi <matrixhasu@gmail.com>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 493951@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: "Sandro Tosi" <matrixhasu@gmail.com>
To: "Steve Langasek" <vorlon@debian.org>, 493951@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#493951: libpkg-guide: recommendations are contrary to accepted best practices
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 08:48:08 +0200
Hi Steve,
thanks for taking care

> The libpkg-guide that has been packaged and is now in the archive gives
> recommendations regarding -dev package naming which are not at all
> representative of a consensus in Debian.  We already have problems with
> library maintainers inserting sonames into their -dev package names based on
> the unclear/misguided advice of this document; shipping it in a stable
> release would be seen by many as an endorsement by the Debian project, and
> no such endorsement exists.  There *particularly* isn't such an endorsement
> from the Debian release team, for whom gratuitous -dev package name changes
> make library transitions more difficult by orders of magnitude.

May I kindly ask you if you're willing to provide a patch against
libpkg-guide (the code is in git[1])? Alternatively, may you please
give us some hints about where thinks have to be fixed (I supposed you
read recently the doc so it's fresh :) ) and references for what
Debian recommends for -dev package?

Thanks in Advance,
Sandro

[1] git://git.debian.org/git/collab-maint/libpkg-guide.git

-- 
Sandro Tosi (aka morph, Morpheus, matrixhasu)
My website: http://matrixhasu.altervista.org/
Me at Debian: http://wiki.debian.org/SandroTosi




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Sandro Tosi <matrixhasu@gmail.com>:
Bug#493951; Package libpkg-guide. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Sandro Tosi <matrixhasu@gmail.com>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 493951@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp>
To: 493951@bugs.debian.org, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>
Subject: noting spaces that libpkg-guide may be improved
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:18:53 -0700
Hi,

Steve is being unhelpful by not providing any patch for this RC bug
he's filing.  I think he's talking about a symptom not a root cause;
binary incompatibility should really be addressed.

I seem to recall changing libpkg-guide to address symbol versioning
some time ago, and Steve should re-read the final version to point out
what's missing from it.



regards,
	junichi
-- 
dancer@{netfort.gr.jp,debian.org}




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Sandro Tosi <matrixhasu@gmail.com>:
Bug#493951; Package libpkg-guide. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Sandro Tosi <matrixhasu@gmail.com>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 493951@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp>
To: 493951@bugs.debian.org, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>
Subject: Re: noting spaces that libpkg-guide may be improved
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:20:56 -0700

> Steve is being unhelpful by not providing any patch for this RC bug
> he's filing.  I think he's talking about a symptom not a root cause;
> binary incompatibility should really be addressed.
> 
> I seem to recall changing libpkg-guide to address symbol versioning
> some time ago, and Steve should re-read the final version to point out
> what's missing from it.

... and I've sent the mail half-way through.

I think references to 'ongoing curl transition pain' thread in
debian-release would be an interesting reference to those people who
are considering changing the -dev package in Debian.

regards,
	junichi
-- 
dancer@{netfort.gr.jp,debian.org}






Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Sandro Tosi <matrixhasu@gmail.com>:
Bug#493951; Package libpkg-guide. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Sandro Tosi <matrixhasu@gmail.com>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #25 received at 493951@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>
To: Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp>
Cc: 493951@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: noting spaces that libpkg-guide may be improved
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 01:46:54 -0700
On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 10:18:53PM -0700, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> Steve is being unhelpful by not providing any patch for this RC bug
> he's filing.  I think he's talking about a symptom not a root cause;
> binary incompatibility should really be addressed.

> I seem to recall changing libpkg-guide to address symbol versioning
> some time ago, and Steve should re-read the final version to point out
> what's missing from it.

Before filing this bug, I confirmed that my concerns still apply to the
current version.  There are still numerous examples scattered throughout the
guide which imply that it's appropriate to use lib${soname}-dev as a dev
package name, which it is not.

I'm sorry that you consider this unhelpful, but I have no time to work on a
patch for this and think that it's better to not have the guide in a release
than to release the guide with a recommendation that makes releasing Debian
harder.

I also don't agree that this is just a symptom, any more than the use of
sonames in libraries is a "symptom" of improper handling of binary
compatibility.  Even glibc took 6 sonames to stabilize.

-- 
Steve Langasek                   Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
Debian Developer                   to set it on, and I can move the world.
Ubuntu Developer                                    http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com                                     vorlon@debian.org




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org:
Bug#493951; Package libpkg-guide. (Sun, 22 Mar 2009 13:39:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Sandro Tosi <morph@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. (Sun, 22 Mar 2009 13:39:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #30 received at 493951@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Sandro Tosi <morph@debian.org>
To: 493951@bugs.debian.org, debian-devel@lists.debian.org, control@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#493951: libpkg-guide: recommendations are contrary to accepted best practices
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:36:36 +0100
tags 493951 +help
thanks

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 07:32, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> Package: libpkg-guide
> Version: 0.0.20070413
> Severity: serious
>
> The libpkg-guide that has been packaged and is now in the archive gives
> recommendations regarding -dev package naming which are not at all
> representative of a consensus in Debian.  We already have problems with
> library maintainers inserting sonames into their -dev package names based on
> the unclear/misguided advice of this document; shipping it in a stable
> release would be seen by many as an endorsement by the Debian project, and
> no such endorsement exists.  There *particularly* isn't such an endorsement
> from the Debian release team, for whom gratuitous -dev package name changes
> make library transitions more difficult by orders of magnitude.
>
> This package should not be included in a stable release until the
> recommendations have been revised to reflect best practices.

I waited long, then I finally decided to ask for help to fix this bug.

Sadly, I don't have the time to properly read all the documentation
and forge a patch to the current package (and Junichi is in the same
situation).

So I'm here to ask for your help in fixing it.

Thanks in advance,
-- 
Sandro Tosi (aka morph, morpheus, matrixhasu)
My website: http://matrixhasu.altervista.org/
Me at Debian: http://wiki.debian.org/SandroTosi




Tags added: help Request was from Sandro Tosi <morph@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sun, 22 Mar 2009 13:39:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Reply sent to Debian FTP Masters <ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org>:
You have taken responsibility. (Mon, 07 Feb 2011 22:06:11 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. (Mon, 07 Feb 2011 22:06:12 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #37 received at 493951-done@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Debian FTP Masters <ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org>
To: 493951-done@bugs.debian.org,501878-done@bugs.debian.org,560401-done@bugs.debian.org,
Cc: libpkg-guide@packages.debian.org, libpkg-guide@packages.qa.debian.org
Subject: Bug#611564: Removed package(s) from unstable
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 22:02:53 +0000
Version: 0.0.20070413.2+rm

Dear submitter,

as the package libpkg-guide has just been removed from the Debian archive
unstable we hereby close the assiciated bug reports.  We are sorry
that we couldn't deal with your issue properly.

For details on the removal, please see http://bugs.debian.org/611564

This message was generated automatically; if you believe that there is
a problem with it please contact the archive administrators by mailing
ftpmaster@debian.org.

Debian distribution maintenance software
pp.
Luca Falavigna (the ftpmaster behind the curtain)




Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Tue, 08 Mar 2011 07:34:14 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Wed Apr 23 21:54:06 2014; Machine Name: buxtehude.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.