Debian Bug report logs - #482305
kernel 2.6.25-2-686 has xen support

version graph

Package: nvidia-kernel-source; Maintainer for nvidia-kernel-source is Debian NVIDIA Maintainers <pkg-nvidia-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>; Source for nvidia-kernel-source is src:nvidia-graphics-drivers.

Reported by: alex <766f6964@gmail.com>

Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 17:54:01 UTC

Severity: serious

Merged with 481161, 481485, 482991

Fixed in version nvidia-graphics-drivers/169.12-2

Done: Randall Donald <rdonald@debian.org>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#482305; Package linux-image-2.6.25-2-686. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to alex <766f6964@gmail.com>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: alex <766f6964@gmail.com>
To: submit@bugs.debian.org
Subject: kernel 2.6.25-2-686 has xen support
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 19:51:32 +0200 (CEST)
Package: linux-image-2.6.25-2-686
Version: 2.6.25-3

	Hi,

	I updated sid/unstable a few minutes ago and when I try to 
re-compile nvidia propietary module, this message appears:

 Detected compiler version : 4.1.2

 Using compiler gcc-4.1 version 4.1.2

 touch /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/nv/gcc-check

 touch /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/nv/cc-sanity-check

 ## Main Make ##

 IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1 CC="gcc-4.1" /usr/bin/make -C 
/usr/src/modules/nvidia
 make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/nv'

 The kernel you are installing for is a Xen kernel!



 The NVIDIA driver does not currently work on Xen kernels. If

 you are using a stock distribution kernel, please install

 a variant of this kernel without Xen support; if this is a

 custom kernel, please install a standard Linux kernel.  Then

 try installing the NVIDIA kernel module again.


	...then, I think about what kernel is running and this is the 
"standard" (I mean, no xen support)


root@cube:~# uname -a
Linux cube.dns-local.net 2.6.25-2-686 #1 SMP Wed May 14 16:42:03 UTC 2008 
i686 GNU/Linux
root@cube:~#

	apt-cache reveals the following kernels availables

linux-image-2.6.25-2-486 - Linux 2.6.25 image on x86
linux-image-2.6.25-2-686 - Linux 2.6.25 image on PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/P4
linux-image-2.6.25-2-686-bigmem - Linux 2.6.25 image on 
PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/P4linux-image-2.6.25-2-amd64 - Linux 2.6.25 image on 
AMD64
linux-image-2.6.25-2-xen-686 - Linux 2.6.25 image on i686

	but I have installed (none with xen) only these packages:

ii  linux-image-2.6-686                  2.6.25+14                  Linux 
2.6 image on PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/P4
ii  linux-image-2.6-k7                   2.6.25+14                  Linux 
2.6 image on AMD K7 - transition packa
ii  linux-image-2.6.25-2-686             2.6.25-3                   Linux 
2.6.25 image on PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/

	So I don't know if there was a bug while generating -686 version 
and includes xen support (as the package linux-image-2.6.25-2-xen-686) or 
if I have another problem (maybe related to nvidia propietary module)




Reply sent to maximilian attems <max@stro.at>:
You have taken responsibility. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to alex <766f6964@gmail.com>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 482305-done@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: maximilian attems <max@stro.at>
To: 482305-done@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#482305: kernel 2.6.25-2-686 has xen support
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 20:12:01 +0200
On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 07:51:32PM +0200, alex wrote:
> Package: linux-image-2.6.25-2-686
> Version: 2.6.25-3
> 
> 	Hi,
> 
> 	I updated sid/unstable a few minutes ago and when I try to 
> re-compile nvidia propietary module, this message appears:
> 
>  Detected compiler version : 4.1.2
> 
>  Using compiler gcc-4.1 version 4.1.2
> 
>  touch /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/nv/gcc-check
> 
>  touch /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/nv/cc-sanity-check
> 
>  ## Main Make ##
> 
>  IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1 CC="gcc-4.1" /usr/bin/make -C 
> /usr/src/modules/nvidia
>  make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/nv'
> 
>  The kernel you are installing for is a Xen kernel!
> 
> 
> 
>  The NVIDIA driver does not currently work on Xen kernels. If
> 
>  you are using a stock distribution kernel, please install
> 
>  a variant of this kernel without Xen support; if this is a
> 
>  custom kernel, please install a standard Linux kernel.  Then
> 
>  try installing the NVIDIA kernel module again.
> 

fix the broken non-free nvidia scripts.




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#482305; Package linux-image-2.6.25-2-686. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Babstar <debian-lists@blueturtles.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 482305@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Babstar <debian-lists@blueturtles.com>
To: 482305@bugs.debian.org
Subject: xen-disabled image?
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 14:33:24 +1000
There is no problem with the Nvidia script, the problem is Nvidia does
not support xen kernels.
I'm all for a better solution to this problem, however, a huge number of
users have *no choice* as to which video card is installed in their
machines, are being penalized.  Many others purchased cards on the basis
of previous support.
I would love Nvidia to open source their drivers, however no amount of
pressure seems to work...
Perhaps an alternative solution is for an explicitly xen-disabled
linux-image, allowing the nvidia module to be built, so users don't have
to reconfigure & recompile their own kernel.

--
Babstar





Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#482305; Package linux-image-2.6.25-2-686. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 482305@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk>
To: 482305@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: kernel 2.6.25-2-686 has xen support
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 07:12:03 +0100
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
> There is no problem with the Nvidia script, the problem is Nvidia does
> not support xen kernels.

That is true of the original Xen kernels (up to 2.6.18) but not of the
new Xen kernels (2.6.22+).

The original Xen port of Linux required that you build a specific Xen
kernel which would not boot on native and which made changes that broke
the Nvidia drivers, hence they check for CONFIG_XEN and abort if it is
enabled, they also added a load of #ifdef CONFIG_XEN stuff.

The new Xen port of Linux use the paravirt_ops infrastructure which
makes the support of Xen transparent to the rest of the kernel and also
allows one binary to boot on both native and Xen. Since the Xen support
is now transparent to the rest of the kernel both the check for
CONFIG_XEN and the #ifdef CONFIG_XEN code is obsolete and should be
removed from the nvidia drivers.

> I'm all for a better solution to this problem, however, a huge number of
> users have *no choice* as to which video card is installed in their
> machines, are being penalized.

See http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2008/05/msg00948.html for a
report that removing all the CONFIG_XEN checks fixes the issue, it did
for me too.

Ian.
-- 
Ian Campbell

Nothing is rich but the inexhaustible wealth of nature.
She shows us only surfaces, but she is a million fathoms deep.
		-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#482305; Package linux-image-2.6.25-2-686. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Babstar <debian-lists@blueturtles.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #25 received at 482305@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Babstar <debian-lists@blueturtles.com>
To: Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk>, 482305@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#482305: kernel 2.6.25-2-686 has xen support
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 17:38:45 +1000
Ian Campbell wrote:
>> There is no problem with the Nvidia script, the problem is Nvidia does
>> not support xen kernels.
>>     
>
> That is true of the original Xen kernels (up to 2.6.18) but not of the
> new Xen kernels (2.6.22+).
>
>   

Thanks for clearing that up Ian, looking forward to the patch being
incorporated in the next nvidia-source package.

--
Babstar




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#482305; Package linux-image-2.6.25-2-686. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen):
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #30 received at 482305@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen)
To: Babstar <debian-lists@blueturtles.com>, 482305@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#482305: xen-disabled image?
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 09:48:15 -0400
On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 02:33:24PM +1000, Babstar wrote:
> There is no problem with the Nvidia script, the problem is Nvidia does
> not support xen kernels.
> I'm all for a better solution to this problem, however, a huge number of
> users have *no choice* as to which video card is installed in their
> machines, are being penalized.  Many others purchased cards on the basis
> of previous support.
> I would love Nvidia to open source their drivers, however no amount of
> pressure seems to work...
> Perhaps an alternative solution is for an explicitly xen-disabled
> linux-image, allowing the nvidia module to be built, so users don't have
> to reconfigure & recompile their own kernel.

Actually there was a problem with the nvidia script, which is that they
assumed CONFIG_XEN=y meant you were running under xen.  That is wrong.
All it means is that the kernel could be run under XEN, not that it
necesarily is.

By simply removing the check as well as all the incorrect #ifdef's
relating to CONFIG_XEN it conpiles and runs just fine, although of
course trying to run it under xen would not work.  So yes nvidia doesn't
support running under xen, but it does support running on a kernel that
could be run under xen, contrary to what their build scripts claimed.

-- 
Len Sorensen




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#482305; Package linux-image-2.6.25-2-686. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen):
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #35 received at 482305@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen)
To: Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk>, 482305@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#482305: kernel 2.6.25-2-686 has xen support
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 09:49:30 -0400
On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 07:12:03AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> That is true of the original Xen kernels (up to 2.6.18) but not of the
> new Xen kernels (2.6.22+).

Is that a result of the paravirt stuff going in?

> The original Xen port of Linux required that you build a specific Xen
> kernel which would not boot on native and which made changes that broke
> the Nvidia drivers, hence they check for CONFIG_XEN and abort if it is
> enabled, they also added a load of #ifdef CONFIG_XEN stuff.
> 
> The new Xen port of Linux use the paravirt_ops infrastructure which
> makes the support of Xen transparent to the rest of the kernel and also
> allows one binary to boot on both native and Xen. Since the Xen support
> is now transparent to the rest of the kernel both the check for
> CONFIG_XEN and the #ifdef CONFIG_XEN code is obsolete and should be
> removed from the nvidia drivers.

I made a patch yesterday that does exactly that, and yes it works fine.

> See http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2008/05/msg00948.html for a
> report that removing all the CONFIG_XEN checks fixes the issue, it did
> for me too.

We should have a new driver release by the weekend with this done.

-- 
Len Sorensen




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#482305; Package linux-image-2.6.25-2-686. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #40 received at 482305@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk>
To: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Cc: 482305@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#482305: kernel 2.6.25-2-686 has xen support
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 15:13:00 +0100
On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 09:49 -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 07:12:03AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > That is true of the original Xen kernels (up to 2.6.18) but not of the
> > new Xen kernels (2.6.22+).
> 
> Is that a result of the paravirt stuff going in?

Exactly.

> > The original Xen port of Linux required that you build a specific Xen
> > kernel which would not boot on native and which made changes that broke
> > the Nvidia drivers, hence they check for CONFIG_XEN and abort if it is
> > enabled, they also added a load of #ifdef CONFIG_XEN stuff.
> > 
> > The new Xen port of Linux use the paravirt_ops infrastructure which
> > makes the support of Xen transparent to the rest of the kernel and also
> > allows one binary to boot on both native and Xen. Since the Xen support
> > is now transparent to the rest of the kernel both the check for
> > CONFIG_XEN and the #ifdef CONFIG_XEN code is obsolete and should be
> > removed from the nvidia drivers.
> 
> I made a patch yesterday that does exactly that, and yes it works fine.
> 
> > See http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2008/05/msg00948.html for a
> > report that removing all the CONFIG_XEN checks fixes the issue, it did
> > for me too.
> 
> We should have a new driver release by the weekend with this done.

I sent my patch to #481161 but it seems to have disappeared somewhere
along the line, I'll resend it here too.

Ian.
-- 
Ian Campbell
Current Noise: System Of A Down - Chic 'N' Stew

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what
you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.
		-- Mark Twain





Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#482305; Package linux-image-2.6.25-2-686. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #45 received at 482305@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk>
To: 482305@bugs.debian.org
Subject: patch for CONFIG_XEN isssue with 2.6.25...
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 15:13:09 +0100
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
The solution to this is to remove the CONFIG_XEN check and all the
#ifdef CONFIG_XEN bits from the code

Patch is attached, together with [0] from #476504 for 2.6.25 support it
builds fine and works on native (not sure what happens if you boot under
Xen since there is no dom0 support yet).

See also: http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2008/05/msg00948.html
which confirms essentially the same thing.

[0]
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=41498f047cfc027419df58a2559e9a7f&attachmentid=30771&d=1205875946

Ian.

-- 
Ian Campbell

During the voyage of life, remember to keep an eye out for a fair wind; batten
down during a storm; hail all passing ships; and fly your colors proudly.
-- 
Ian Campbell
Current Noise: System Of A Down - Boom!

Close cover before striking.
[nvidia-remove-xen-hacks.diff (text/x-patch, attachment)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#482305; Package linux-image-2.6.25-2-686. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen):
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #50 received at 482305@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen)
To: Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk>, 482305@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#482305: patch for CONFIG_XEN isssue with 2.6.25...
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 13:23:06 -0400
On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 03:13:09PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> The solution to this is to remove the CONFIG_XEN check and all the
> #ifdef CONFIG_XEN bits from the code
> 
> Patch is attached, together with [0] from #476504 for 2.6.25 support it
> builds fine and works on native (not sure what happens if you boot under
> Xen since there is no dom0 support yet).

Probably something bad. :)

> See also: http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2008/05/msg00948.html
> which confirms essentially the same thing.
> 
> [0]
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=41498f047cfc027419df58a2559e9a7f&attachmentid=30771&d=1205875946

Looks pretty much like the patch I posted on the pkg-nvidia-devel list
yesterday.

-- 
Len Sorensen




Bug reassigned from package `linux-image-2.6.25-2-686' to `nvidia-kernel-source'. Request was from Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sun, 25 May 2008 21:05:11 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Forcibly Merged 481161 481485 482305. Request was from Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sun, 25 May 2008 21:05:18 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Forcibly Merged 481161 481485 482305 482991. Request was from Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Mon, 26 May 2008 12:15:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:25:46 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Thu Apr 24 22:37:22 2014; Machine Name: buxtehude.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.