Debian Bug report logs - #464491
apertium: bashism in /bin/sh script

version graph

Package: apertium; Maintainer for apertium is Debian Science Team <debian-science-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>; Source for apertium is src:apertium.

Reported by: Raphael Geissert <atomo64@gmail.com>

Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 05:36:01 UTC

Severity: serious

Tags: patch

Found in version apertium/3.0.5-1

Fixed in version apertium/3.1.0-1.2

Done: Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>:
Bug#464491; Package apertium. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #3 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Raphael Geissert <atomo64@gmail.com>
To: submit@bugs.debian.org
Subject: apertium: bashism in /bin/sh script
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 23:33:42 -0600
Package: apertium
Severity: important
Version: 3.0.5-1
User: debian-release@lists.debian.org
Usertags: goal-dash

Hello maintainer,

While performing an archive wide checkbashisms (from the 'devscripts' package) 
check I've found your package containing several /bin/sh scripts making 
use of a bashism.

checkbashisms' output:
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium-preprocess-corpus-lextor line 47
> ('((' should be '$(('): if ((length(w)>0) && (index(w,"^")>0)) {
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 9 ('function' is useless):
> function message
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 21 ('function' is useless):
> function translate_odt
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 27 (alternative test command
> ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ LC_CTYPE == "" ]]
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 32 (alternative test command
> ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $(which zip) == "" ]]
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 37 (alternative test command
> ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $(which unzip) == "" ]]
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 42 (alternative test command
> ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $FICHERO == "" ]]
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 65 (alternative test command
> ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $BORRAFICHERO == "true" ]]
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 68 (alternative test command
> ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $SALIDA == "" ]]
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 131 ('((' should be '$(('):
>        if((c <= 1));
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 145 (alternative test command
> ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $UWORDS == "no" ]]; then OPTION="-n";
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 150 (alternative test command
> ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $UWORDS == "no" ]]; then OPTION="-n";
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 154 (alternative test command
> ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $MILOCALE == "" ]]
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 162 (alternative test command
> ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $UWORDS == "no" ]]; then OPTION="-n";
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 180 (alternative test command
> ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $MILOCALE == "" ]]
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium-gen-deformat line 39 (should be 'b =
> a'): if [ $1 == "-a" ]
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium-gen-deformat line 42 (should be 'b =
> a'): elif [ $1 == "-m" ]
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium-gen-deformat line 45 (should be 'b =
> a'): elif [ $1 == "-M" ]


Not using bash as /bin/sh would lead to errors. Please be aware that although 
bash is currently the default /bin/sh there's a release goal for Lenny to 
make dash the default /bin/sh[1].

If you want more information about dash as /bin/sh, you can read:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2008/01/msg00189.html
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DashAsBinSh

[1]http://release.debian.org/lenny/goals.txt

Thank you,
-- 
Atomo64 - Raphael

Please avoid sending me Word, PowerPoint or Excel attachments.
See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>:
Bug#464491; Package apertium. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to ftyers@prompsit.com:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #8 received at 464491@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Francis Tyers <spectre@ivixor.net>
To: Raphael Geissert <atomo64@gmail.com>, 464491@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#464491: apertium: bashism in /bin/sh script
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 07:12:46 +0000
El mié, 06-02-2008 a las 23:33 -0600, Raphael Geissert escribió:
> Package: apertium
> Severity: important
> Version: 3.0.5-1
> User: debian-release@lists.debian.org
> Usertags: goal-dash
> 
> Hello maintainer,
> 
> While performing an archive wide checkbashisms (from the 'devscripts' package) 
> check I've found your package containing several /bin/sh scripts making 
> use of a bashism.
> 
> checkbashisms' output:
> > possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium-preprocess-corpus-lextor line 47
> > ('((' should be '$(('): if ((length(w)>0) && (index(w,"^")>0)) {
> > possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 9 ('function' is useless):
> > function message
> > possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 21 ('function' is useless):
> > function translate_odt
> > possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 27 (alternative test command
> > ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ LC_CTYPE == "" ]]
> > possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 32 (alternative test command
> > ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $(which zip) == "" ]]
> > possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 37 (alternative test command
> > ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $(which unzip) == "" ]]
> > possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 42 (alternative test command
> > ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $FICHERO == "" ]]
> > possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 65 (alternative test command
> > ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $BORRAFICHERO == "true" ]]
> > possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 68 (alternative test command
> > ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $SALIDA == "" ]]
> > possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 131 ('((' should be '$(('):
> >        if((c <= 1));
> > possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 145 (alternative test command
> > ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $UWORDS == "no" ]]; then OPTION="-n";
> > possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 150 (alternative test command
> > ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $UWORDS == "no" ]]; then OPTION="-n";
> > possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 154 (alternative test command
> > ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $MILOCALE == "" ]]
> > possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 162 (alternative test command
> > ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $UWORDS == "no" ]]; then OPTION="-n";
> > possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 180 (alternative test command
> > ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $MILOCALE == "" ]]
> > possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium-gen-deformat line 39 (should be 'b =
> > a'): if [ $1 == "-a" ]
> > possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium-gen-deformat line 42 (should be 'b =
> > a'): elif [ $1 == "-m" ]
> > possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium-gen-deformat line 45 (should be 'b =
> > a'): elif [ $1 == "-M" ]
> 
> 
> Not using bash as /bin/sh would lead to errors. Please be aware that although 
> bash is currently the default /bin/sh there's a release goal for Lenny to 
> make dash the default /bin/sh[1].
> 
> If you want more information about dash as /bin/sh, you can read:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2008/01/msg00189.html
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DashAsBinSh
> 
> [1]http://release.debian.org/lenny/goals.txt
> 
> Thank you,

Thanks for the info, I'll add this to the existing bug we have on the
subject:

http://xixona.dlsi.ua.es/cgi-bin/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=44

Fran





Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>:
Bug#464491; Package apertium. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #11 received at 464491@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Raphael Geissert <atomo64@gmail.com>
To: 464491@bugs.debian.org
Subject: apertium: bashism in /bin/sh script
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 00:21:35 -0600
Updated output:

> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 9 ('function' is useless):
> function message
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 21 ('function' is useless):
> function translate_odt
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 27 (alternative test command
> ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ LC_CTYPE == "" ]]
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 32 (alternative test command
> ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $(which zip) == "" ]]
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 37 (alternative test command
> ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $(which unzip) == "" ]]
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 42 (alternative test command
> ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $FICHERO == "" ]]
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 65 (alternative test command
> ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $BORRAFICHERO == "true" ]]
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 68 (alternative test command
> ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])): if [[ $SALIDA == "" ]]
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium line 131 ('((' should be '$(('):
>        if((c <= 1));
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium-gen-deformat line 39 (should be 'b =
> a'):
>      if [ $1 == "-a" ]
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium-gen-deformat line 42 (should be 'b =
> a'): elif [ $1 == "-m" ]
> possible bashism in ./usr/bin/apertium-gen-deformat line 45 (should be 'b =
> a'): elif [ $1 == "-M" ]

Sincerely,
-- 
Atomo64 - Raphael

Please avoid sending me Word, PowerPoint or Excel attachments.
See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

Earth Hour 2008 - Take action!
http://www.earthhour.org/user/xJKk




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>:
Bug#464491; Package apertium. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Mert Dirik <mertdirik@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>.

Your message did not contain a Subject field. They are recommended and useful because the title of a $gBug is determined using this field. Please remember to include a Subject field in your messages in future.

Full text and rfc822 format available.


Message #16 received at 464491@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Mert Dirik <mertdirik@gmail.com>
To: 464491@bugs.debian.org
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 00:05:02 +0300
I'm working on a patch. chekcbashisms says "script ... does not appear
to have a #! interpreter line; you may get strange results". Should I
put #! line to these scripts?

Thanks




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>:
Bug#464491; Package apertium. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to ftyers@prompsit.com:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #21 received at 464491@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>
To: Mert Dirik <mertdirik@gmail.com>, 464491@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#464491: (no subject)
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 23:10:56 +0100
It should be ok, if you make a patch, could you also add it to:

http://xixona.dlsi.ua.es/cgi-bin/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=44

Thanks,

Fran

El dom, 06-04-2008 a las 00:05 +0300, Mert Dirik escribió:
> I'm working on a patch. chekcbashisms says "script ... does not appear
> to have a #! interpreter line; you may get strange results". Should I
> put #! line to these scripts?
> 
> Thanks
> 
> 





Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>:
Bug#464491; Package apertium. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Mert Dirik <mertdirik@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #26 received at 464491@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Mert Dirik <mertdirik@gmail.com>
To: ftyers@prompsit.com, 464491@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#464491: (no subject)
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 00:23:50 +0300
And yet another question. Which file becomes /usr/bin/apertium ? I guess
 all the shell scripts at apertium folder, but I want to be sure.

Thanks

Francis Tyers yazmış:
> It should be ok, if you make a patch, could you also add it to:
> 
> http://xixona.dlsi.ua.es/cgi-bin/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=44
> 
> Thanks,
> 




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>:
Bug#464491; Package apertium. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to ftyers@prompsit.com:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #31 received at 464491@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>
To: Mert Dirik <mertdirik@gmail.com>
Cc: 464491@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#464491: (no subject)
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 23:25:48 +0100
Here is the section from the Makefile.am

apertium: Makefile.am apertium-header.sh
        @echo "Creating apertium  script"
        @echo "#!$(BASH)" > $@
        @echo "APERTIUM_PATH=\"$(prefix)/bin\"" >>$@
        @echo "LTTOOLBOX_PATH=\"$(prefix)/bin\"" >>$@
        @echo "DEFAULT_DIRECTORY=\"$(prefix)/share/apertium\"" >>$@
        @cat apertium-header.sh >>$@
        @chmod a+x $@

So, /usr/bin/apertium comes from apertium-header.sh

Fran

El dom, 06-04-2008 a las 00:23 +0300, Mert Dirik escribió:
> And yet another question. Which file becomes /usr/bin/apertium ? I guess
>  all the shell scripts at apertium folder, but I want to be sure.
> 
> Thanks
> 
> Francis Tyers yazmış:
> > It should be ok, if you make a patch, could you also add it to:
> > 
> > http://xixona.dlsi.ua.es/cgi-bin/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=44
> > 
> > Thanks,
> > 





Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>:
Bug#464491; Package apertium. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Mert Dirik <mertdirik@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #36 received at 464491@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Mert Dirik <mertdirik@gmail.com>
To: ftyers@prompsit.com
Cc: 464491@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#464491: (no subject)
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 01:00:19 +0300
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
tags + patch
thanks

Thanks for your help! Patch is ready. But I think it needs some testing.
I'm also adding it to
http://xixona.dlsi.ua.es/cgi-bin/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=44.

Thanks

Francis Tyers yazmış:
> Here is the section from the Makefile.am
> 
> apertium: Makefile.am apertium-header.sh
>         @echo "Creating apertium  script"
>         @echo "#!$(BASH)" > $@
>         @echo "APERTIUM_PATH=\"$(prefix)/bin\"" >>$@
>         @echo "LTTOOLBOX_PATH=\"$(prefix)/bin\"" >>$@
>         @echo "DEFAULT_DIRECTORY=\"$(prefix)/share/apertium\"" >>$@
>         @cat apertium-header.sh >>$@
>         @chmod a+x $@
> 
> So, /usr/bin/apertium comes from apertium-header.sh
> 
> Fran
[patch.gz (application/x-gzip, inline)]

Tags added: patch Request was from Mert Dirik <mertdirik@gmail.com> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sat, 05 Apr 2008 22:33:01 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Tags removed: patch Request was from Mert Dirik <mertdirik@gmail.com> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sat, 12 Apr 2008 19:51:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>:
Bug#464491; Package apertium. (Mon, 01 Dec 2008 06:33:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Andres Mejia <mcitadel@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>. (Mon, 01 Dec 2008 06:33:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #45 received at 464491@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Andres Mejia <mcitadel@gmail.com>
To: 464491@bugs.debian.org, control@bugs.debian.org
Subject: apertium: bashism in /bin/sh script
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 01:27:00 -0500
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
tags 464491 + patch
thanks

The previous patch fails to apply cleanly. Attached is a new patch to resolve 
this issue.

-- 
Regards,
Andres
[goal-dash.patch (text/x-diff, attachment)]
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Tags added: patch Request was from Andres Mejia <mcitadel@gmail.com> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Mon, 01 Dec 2008 06:33:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>:
Bug#464491; Package apertium. (Mon, 01 Dec 2008 11:18:15 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Mert Dirik <mertdirik@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>. (Mon, 01 Dec 2008 11:18:16 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #52 received at 464491@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Mert Dirik <mertdirik@gmail.com>
To: Andres Mejia <mcitadel@gmail.com>, 464491@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#464491: apertium: bashism in /bin/sh script
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 12:48:08 +0200
Andres Mejia yazmış:
> tags 464491 + patch
> thanks
> 
> The previous patch fails to apply cleanly. Attached is a new patch to resolve 
> this issue.
> 
Actually previous patch was causing serious problems so it wasn't applied and I
guess this new patch has same problems. (You could look it at upstream report
bug it gives 404 error.) I don't have a time to create a new patch but I have a
tip for you: The shell script files doesn't have shebang lines, the makefile
adds them to scripts; so, change the makefiles to add "#! /bin/bash" instead of
"#! /bin/sh"




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>:
Bug#464491; Package apertium. (Mon, 01 Dec 2008 19:48:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Andres Mejia <mcitadel@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>. (Mon, 01 Dec 2008 19:48:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #57 received at 464491@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Andres Mejia <mcitadel@gmail.com>
To: Mert Dirik <mertdirik@gmail.com>
Cc: 464491@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#464491: apertium: bashism in /bin/sh script
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 14:44:12 -0500
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Monday 01 December 2008 05:48:08 am Mert Dirik wrote:
> Andres Mejia yazmış:
> > tags 464491 + patch
> > thanks
> >
> > The previous patch fails to apply cleanly. Attached is a new patch to
> > resolve this issue.
>
> Actually previous patch was causing serious problems so it wasn't applied
> and I guess this new patch has same problems. (You could look it at
> upstream report bug it gives 404 error.) I don't have a time to create a
> new patch but I have a tip for you: The shell script files doesn't have
> shebang lines, the makefile adds them to scripts; so, change the makefiles
> to add "#! /bin/bash" instead of "#! /bin/sh"

Looks like upstream intended to use bash anyway, hence the use of $(BASH) in 
the Makefile.am files.

Attached is another patch to will change debian/rules to call autotools to 
regenerate all autotool files. This will ensure the necessary files all have 
the proper sheband lines.

-- 
Regards,
Andres
[goal-dash.patch (text/x-diff, attachment)]
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>:
Bug#464491; Package apertium. (Thu, 22 Jan 2009 07:54:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>. (Thu, 22 Jan 2009 07:54:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #62 received at 464491@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net>
To: 464491@bugs.debian.org
Subject: apertium does not run at all on systems where /bin/sh -> dash
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 02:53:27 -0500
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Just wanted to point out that these bashisms in apertium have a very
severe effect.   apertium itself does not run now on systems where
/bin/sh points to dash instead of bash:

0 dkg@pip:~$ echo hello | apertium en-es
/usr/bin/apertium: 9: function: not found
USAGE: apertium [-d datadir] [-f format] [-u] <translation> [in [out]]
 -d datadir       directory of linguistic data
 -f format        one of: txt (default), html, rtf, odt, docx, wxml, xlsx
 -u               don't display marks '*' for unknown words
 translation      typically, LANG1-LANG2, but see modes.xml in language data
 in               input file (stdin by default)
 out              output file (stdout by default)
bash: echo: write error: Broken pipe
1 dkg@pip:~$ echo hello | bash $(which apertium) en-es
hola
0 dkg@pip:~$

This is still the case for apertium version 3.0.7+1-2 (from unstable),
unfortunately.

just switching the shebang line in /usr/bin/apertium seems to resolve
the problem for me, though.

	--dkg

[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, attachment)]

Severity set to 'serious' from 'important' Request was from Raphael Geissert <geissert@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Tue, 11 May 2010 05:24:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>:
Bug#464491; Package apertium. (Sun, 20 Jun 2010 22:00:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>. (Sun, 20 Jun 2010 22:00:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #69 received at 464491@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>
To: 464491@bugs.debian.org, 581334@bugs.debian.org
Subject: apertium NMU
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 14:57:04 -0700
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
tags 581334 patch
thanks

Hi Francis,

I have prepared an NMU to fix these two release-critical bugs in the
apertium package.  Please find the debdiff for this NMU attached.

With regards to 581334, I recognize that the versioned build dependency was
added to prevent version skew between the compiled re's in the dictionary
packages and the libpcre3 package; however, I'm dropping this again because:

 - the apertium package itself doesn't actually need rebuilt for libpcre3
   format changes, only the dictionaries do
 - as I've noted in bug #503861, most of the dictionary packages don't have
   proper dependencies on the virtual package that would allow this to be
   enforced anyway
 - in my testing, libpcre3 8.02 seems to be entirely binary-compatible with
   libpcre3 7.8 anyway, so the correct fix is to relax the build-dependency
   and we can't predict when the package will again break compatibility...
   so I'm just relaxing it all the way.

In the long term I think it's advisable to implement a proper fix for this
problem directly between the libpcre3 and dictionary packages.

I'm uploading this NMU directly to incoming, since these bugs have been
outstanding or over a month.  If you see any problems with the NMU, feel
free to yell in my direction. :)

Cheers,
-- 
Steve Langasek                   Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
Debian Developer                   to set it on, and I can move the world.
Ubuntu Developer                                    http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com                                     vorlon@debian.org
[apertium-NMU.diff (text/x-diff, attachment)]
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Reply sent to Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>:
You have taken responsibility. (Sun, 20 Jun 2010 22:21:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to Raphael Geissert <atomo64@gmail.com>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. (Sun, 20 Jun 2010 22:21:08 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #74 received at 464491-close@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>
To: 464491-close@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Bug#464491: fixed in apertium 3.1.0-1.2
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 22:17:24 +0000
Source: apertium
Source-Version: 3.1.0-1.2

We believe that the bug you reported is fixed in the latest version of
apertium, which is due to be installed in the Debian FTP archive:

apertium_3.1.0-1.2.debian.tar.gz
  to main/a/apertium/apertium_3.1.0-1.2.debian.tar.gz
apertium_3.1.0-1.2.dsc
  to main/a/apertium/apertium_3.1.0-1.2.dsc
apertium_3.1.0-1.2_amd64.deb
  to main/a/apertium/apertium_3.1.0-1.2_amd64.deb
libapertium3-3.1-0-dev_3.1.0-1.2_amd64.deb
  to main/a/apertium/libapertium3-3.1-0-dev_3.1.0-1.2_amd64.deb
libapertium3-3.1-0_3.1.0-1.2_amd64.deb
  to main/a/apertium/libapertium3-3.1-0_3.1.0-1.2_amd64.deb



A summary of the changes between this version and the previous one is
attached.

Thank you for reporting the bug, which will now be closed.  If you
have further comments please address them to 464491@bugs.debian.org,
and the maintainer will reopen the bug report if appropriate.

Debian distribution maintenance software
pp.
Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> (supplier of updated apertium package)

(This message was generated automatically at their request; if you
believe that there is a problem with it please contact the archive
administrators by mailing ftpmaster@debian.org)


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

Format: 1.8
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 21:56:56 +0000
Source: apertium
Binary: apertium libapertium3-3.1-0-dev libapertium3-3.1-0
Architecture: source amd64
Version: 3.1.0-1.2
Distribution: unstable
Urgency: high
Maintainer: Francis Tyers <ftyers@prompsit.com>
Changed-By: Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>
Description: 
 apertium   - Shallow-transfer machine translation engine
 libapertium3-3.1-0 - Shared library for Apertium
 libapertium3-3.1-0-dev - Development library for Apertium
Closes: 464491 581334
Changes: 
 apertium (3.1.0-1.2) unstable; urgency=high
 .
   * Non-maintainer upload.
   * High-urgency upload for RC bugfix.
   * Fix bashisms in various shell scripts in this package, since /bin/sh will
     not be bash by default in squeeze.  Thanks to Andres Mejia for the initial
     version of this patch.  Closes: #464491.
   * Set source format 3.0 (quilt) since we're patching the upstream source.
   * Drop versioned build-dep on libpcre3-dev (<< 7.9) which prevents us from
     rebuilding the package.  Closes: #581334.
   * Drop versioned dep on libpcre3 (<< 7.9) as well.  The versioned dependency
     actually exists between libpcre3 and the individual dictionary packages
     containing the compiled regexps, apertium itself is entirely agnostic
     regarding libpcre3 versions and should not have this hard-coded.
   * Lintian fixes:
     - add missing ${misc:Depends} to libapertium3-3.1-0-dev.
     - bump standards-version to 3.8.4 (no changes required).
Checksums-Sha1: 
 171db56f3173b4441fbe34222e0a87deda633aa6 1883 apertium_3.1.0-1.2.dsc
 8aac322267f2a4a2ca771502bca93278dc2503c8 110471 apertium_3.1.0-1.2.debian.tar.gz
 0a7facd62bde9805755b1ecc8e6da53eeada3d9a 368534 apertium_3.1.0-1.2_amd64.deb
 d89fab07138ee45aca58b9032b486050100aa27f 819726 libapertium3-3.1-0-dev_3.1.0-1.2_amd64.deb
 21872201df56ffdc5779445edc3d927a19182947 372876 libapertium3-3.1-0_3.1.0-1.2_amd64.deb
Checksums-Sha256: 
 622a04be0382dd23cf13d4c7cf8f340598b39266c3d99bb76540bb8a4096e093 1883 apertium_3.1.0-1.2.dsc
 aeaf2a26e88936638f4f6534aa8e355aeda87475cae1e925b256f7a42c583c59 110471 apertium_3.1.0-1.2.debian.tar.gz
 76903449be2b1b271343399c663289005ab5c868bbd2d9e98ee74ebb0f7b7229 368534 apertium_3.1.0-1.2_amd64.deb
 a83997c04a47467cb1e39526354d1e9f7bc31fe3ac670f953d02c5b674812a6b 819726 libapertium3-3.1-0-dev_3.1.0-1.2_amd64.deb
 7a19518783732b9b501a5ce17be12290ef0d7d2ac401abe7402157f91f55fb75 372876 libapertium3-3.1-0_3.1.0-1.2_amd64.deb
Files: 
 b3401b2872452521f58a84d6d084993b 1883 libs optional apertium_3.1.0-1.2.dsc
 c7d9074f7119fd15419ea4829bedb0f2 110471 libs optional apertium_3.1.0-1.2.debian.tar.gz
 eed31079d8e5734e88c3c235b1436d4d 368534 libs optional apertium_3.1.0-1.2_amd64.deb
 e57eeef9ebd22846e32a86860d0a4e34 819726 libdevel optional libapertium3-3.1-0-dev_3.1.0-1.2_amd64.deb
 c03120e42f4176c5a10ebb01fa1faa42 372876 libs optional libapertium3-3.1-0_3.1.0-1.2_amd64.deb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
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=M9TP
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----





Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Mon, 07 Mar 2011 10:19:27 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Sat Apr 19 02:03:59 2014; Machine Name: beach.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.