Debian Bug report logs - #454642
lists.debian.org: allow to request regional debian users group mailing lists such as dug-nyc

Package: lists.debian.org; Maintainer for lists.debian.org is Debian Listmaster Team <listmaster@lists.debian.org>;

Reported by: Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com>

Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 20:21:02 UTC

Severity: wishlist

Tags: wontfix

Reply or subscribe to this bug.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Listmaster Team <listmaster@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#454642; Package lists.debian.org. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to Debian Listmaster Team <listmaster@lists.debian.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: lists.debian.org: allow to request regional debian users group mailing lists such as dug-nyc
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 15:19:49 -0500
Package: lists.debian.org
Severity: wishlist


May be it is allowed already, then please taken this bug report as a
wishlist to get a new mailing list

Name: dug-nyc ( after debian users group of New York City )

Rationale: 
 Main goal is to make it easy finding people alike (ie debian users)
within local neighborhood, which would help in raising public awareness
about Debian. There has been various mailing lists hosted by other list
servers, but it would be much better if they all are provided by
debian.org, as the origin.

 As for NYC debian users group there has been already debian-nyc-soc
 hosted by yukidoke but I didn't find it originally since it is not
 announced anywhere within Debian. Replacement list has been created
 (DebianNYC@vireo.org) but again it might vanish if vireo.org stops
 hosting it

Short description: Debian users group of New York City

Long description: discussions, annoucements, DUG meeting schedules

Category: other, but I would guess if you accept generic proposal of
 having debian users group mailing lists served by lists.debian.org,
 there might be a new category such as 'Debian users groups'

Subscription Policy: open

Post Policy: open

Web Archive: yes


-- System Information:
Debian Release: lenny/sid
  APT prefers unstable
  APT policy: (990, 'unstable'), (900, 'testing'), (300, 'experimental')
Architecture: i386 (i686)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.22-2-686 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=C, LC_CTYPE=C (charmap=ANSI_X3.4-1968)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Listmaster Team <listmaster@lists.debian.org>:
Bug#454642; Package lists.debian.org. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to David Moreno <damog@espiral.org.mx>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Listmaster Team <listmaster@lists.debian.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 454642@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: David Moreno <damog@espiral.org.mx>
To: Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com>, 454642@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#454642: lists.debian.org: allow to request regional debian users group mailing lists such as dug-nyc
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 15:43:32 -0500
On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 15:19 -0500, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> Package: lists.debian.org
> Severity: wishlist
> 
> 
> May be it is allowed already, then please taken this bug report as a
> wishlist to get a new mailing list
> 
> Name: dug-nyc ( after debian users group of New York City )
> 
> Rationale: 
>  Main goal is to make it easy finding people alike (ie debian users)
> within local neighborhood, which would help in raising public awareness
> about Debian. There has been various mailing lists hosted by other list
> servers, but it would be much better if they all are provided by
> debian.org, as the origin.
> 
>  As for NYC debian users group there has been already debian-nyc-soc
>  hosted by yukidoke but I didn't find it originally since it is not
>  announced anywhere within Debian. Replacement list has been created
>  (DebianNYC@vireo.org) but again it might vanish if vireo.org stops
>  hosting it
> 
> Short description: Debian users group of New York City
> 
> Long description: discussions, annoucements, DUG meeting schedules
> 
> Category: other, but I would guess if you accept generic proposal of
>  having debian users group mailing lists served by lists.debian.org,
>  there might be a new category such as 'Debian users groups'
> 
> Subscription Policy: open
> 
> Post Policy: open
> 
> Web Archive: yes

This is something I wanted to bring to discussion since a long time ago,
but I simple kept forgetting about. I'm glad Yaroslav finally did it.

Making a Debian NYC mailing list would also represent allowing other
kinds of regional related mailing lists. For instance, I'd like to have
a mailing list for Mexican users, and I bet lots of other people would
love to have their mailing lists under lists.debian.org for their
countries, states or cities.

As a listmaster myself I'm in favour of creating such category and I'd
be willing to make it happen under new categories and new documentation
about it, but I'd like to read other listmasters' and users' opinion.

Pros, IMHO, would be that we'd try to bring all dispersed Debian users
on differents regions of the world together by hosting their discussion
on one place and by that, we'd encourage more people to join the project
both by using the distribution or by welcoming new prospective
developers.

Cons, IMO, is that we'd be officializing Debian user groups, so that
could create friction between some other UGs in the same area, and that
such lists would have to be forced to be for Debian matters on those
regions, not for user support (that is already covered by the
debian-user mailing lists, in all kinds of languages).

--
David Moreno Garza <damog@espiral.org.mx> | http://www.damog.net/
 http://www.cervezatecate.com/






Information stored:
Bug#454642; Package lists.debian.org. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to listmaster@lists.debian.org:
Extra info received and filed, but not forwarded. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 454642-quiet@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Cord Beermann <cord@debian.org>
To: David Moreno <damog@espiral.org.mx>, 454642-quiet@bugs.debian.org
Cc: Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com>, listmaster@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#454642: lists.debian.org: allow to request regional debian users group mailing lists such as dug-nyc
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 22:08:07 +0000
Hallo! Du (David Moreno) hast geschrieben:

> Making a Debian NYC mailing list would also represent allowing other
> kinds of regional related mailing lists. For instance, I'd like to have
> a mailing list for Mexican users, and I bet lots of other people would
> love to have their mailing lists under lists.debian.org for their
> countries, states or cities.

as this is also a political issue, we should take this to a more wide
audience? 

However: there are already some area-lists on teams.debian.net, which
seems to be the better solution for this request.

Yours,
        Cord
-- 
http://lists.debian.org




Information stored:
Bug#454642; Package lists.debian.org. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #18 received at 454642-quiet@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Don Armstrong <don@debian.org>
To: listmaster@lists.debian.org
Cc: David Moreno <damog@espiral.org.mx>, 454642-quiet@bugs.debian.org, Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com>
Subject: Re: Bug#454642: lists.debian.org: allow to request regional debian users group mailing lists such as dug-nyc
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 18:22:59 -0800
On Thu, 06 Dec 2007, Cord Beermann wrote:
> Hallo! Du (David Moreno) hast geschrieben:
> > Making a Debian NYC mailing list would also represent allowing other
> > kinds of regional related mailing lists. For instance, I'd like to have
> > a mailing list for Mexican users, and I bet lots of other people would
> > love to have their mailing lists under lists.debian.org for their
> > countries, states or cities.
> 
> as this is also a political issue, we should take this to a more wide
> audience? 

It's also likely that the vast majority of the conversations that
would occur on such lists would be better suited to lists of with
wider audiences. [I think the main thing that isn't specifically
handled currently would be local events, though some of those probably
should be presented on events lists like -events-na and similar.]
 

Don Armstrong

-- 
Herodotus says, "Very few things happen at the right time, and the
rest do not happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct
these defects".
 -- Mark Twain _A Horse's Tail_

http://www.donarmstrong.com              http://rzlab.ucr.edu




Tags added: wontfix Request was from david@dev.axiombox.com (David Moreno) to control@bugs.debian.org. (Sat, 14 Mar 2009 16:39:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Sat Apr 19 20:29:28 2014; Machine Name: buxtehude.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.