Debian Bug report logs - #400817
xephem conflicts with x11-common in sid, becomes uninstallable

version graph

Package: xephem; Maintainer for xephem is (unknown);

Reported by: Alvaro Martinez Echevarria <ame@acm.org>

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 23:18:10 UTC

Severity: grave

Found in version xephem/3.5.2-1

Done: Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Frank Jordan <fjordan@debian.org>:
Bug#400817; Package xephem. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Alvaro Martinez Echevarria <ame@acm.org>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to Frank Jordan <fjordan@debian.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Alvaro Martinez Echevarria <ame@acm.org>
To: submit@bugs.debian.org
Subject: xephem conflicts with x11-common in sid, becomes uninstallable
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 14:30:32 -0800 (PST)
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Package: xephem
Version: 3.5.2-1
Severity: grave

The last version of x11-common in sid (1:7.1.0-7) includes an
explicit conflict for xephem (with no version), so this extremely
useful astronomy package becomes uninstallable. A relatively
quick would be appreciated (recompilation?).
Regards,

--
Álvaro Martínez Echevarría              ame AT acm.org

``Pero yo que he sentido una vez en mis manos temblar
la alegría / ya no podré morir nunca. / Pero yo que he
tocado una vez las agudas agujas del pino / ya no podré
morir nunca''. [José Hierro, "El muerto"]

Reply sent to Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>:
You have taken responsibility. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to Alvaro Martinez Echevarria <ame@acm.org>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 400817-done@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>
To: Alvaro Martinez Echevarria <ame@acm.org>, 400817-done@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#400817: xephem conflicts with x11-common in sid, becomes uninstallable
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 20:07:00 -0800
On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 02:30:32PM -0800, Alvaro Martinez Echevarria wrote:

> The last version of x11-common in sid (1:7.1.0-7) includes an
> explicit conflict for xephem (with no version), so this extremely
> useful astronomy package becomes uninstallable. A relatively
> quick would be appreciated (recompilation?).
> Regards,

Sorry, but xephem hasn't been included in Debian since woody.  From
http://ftp-master.debian.org/removals.txt:

[Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:51:27 -0400] [ftpmaster: James Troup]
Removed the following packages from unstable:

    xephem |      3.5-2 | alpha, arm, s390, sparc
    xephem |    3.5.2-1 | source, hppa, i386, ia64, m68k, mips, powerpc
Closed bugs: 270695

------------------- Reason -------------------
RoM; license problems.

So this bug won't be fixed in Debian.

-- 
Steve Langasek                   Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
Debian Developer                   to set it on, and I can move the world.
vorlon@debian.org                                   http://www.debian.org/



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Frank Jordan <fjordan@debian.org>:
Bug#400817; Package xephem. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Alvaro Martinez Echevarria <ame@acm.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Frank Jordan <fjordan@debian.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 400817@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Alvaro Martinez Echevarria <ame@acm.org>
To: Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>
Cc: 400817@bugs.debian.org, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@computer.org>, Francisco Garcia <franciscomanuel.garcia@hispalinux.es>
Subject: Re: Bug#400817: xephem conflicts with x11-common in sid, becomes uninstallable
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 01:24:25 -0800 (PST)
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 02:30:32PM -0800, Alvaro Martinez Echevarria wrote:
> 
> > The last version of x11-common in sid (1:7.1.0-7) includes an
> > explicit conflict for xephem (with no version), so this extremely
> > useful astronomy package becomes uninstallable. A relatively
> > quick would be appreciated (recompilation?).
> > Regards,
> 
> Sorry, but xephem hasn't been included in Debian since woody.  From
> http://ftp-master.debian.org/removals.txt:

I couldn't help but notice that the package had not been updated
for a very long time, but since the "new version upstream" was
never closed, I always assumed it was due to the maintainers's
lack of time.

> [Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:51:27 -0400] [ftpmaster: James Troup]
> Removed the following packages from unstable:
> 
>     xephem |      3.5-2 | alpha, arm, s390, sparc
>     xephem |    3.5.2-1 | source, hppa, i386, ia64, m68k, mips, powerpc
> Closed bugs: 270695
> 
> ------------------- Reason -------------------
> RoM; license problems.
> 
> So this bug won't be fixed in Debian.

Well, let's think about this a little bit. According to what I
read in 270695, there's a problem with one specific catalog,
which is derived from the Yale catalog for which it is not clear
if redistribution of modifications is allowed. But there's a yale
package in the system containing the original data. So, big deal:
I volunteer to write a small program that will generate YBS.edb
in xephem format from the contents of the original yale catalog,
hence getting around the licensing problems. Would that be
acceptable? Javi, what do you think? (incidentally, I know Javi
from school many years ago :).
Thanks,

--
Álvaro Martínez Echevarría              ame AT acm.org

``Pero yo que he sentido una vez en mis manos temblar
la alegría / ya no podré morir nunca. / Pero yo que he
tocado una vez las agudas agujas del pino / ya no podré
morir nunca''. [José Hierro, "El muerto"]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Frank Jordan <fjordan@debian.org>:
Bug#400817; Package xephem. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@computer.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Frank Jordan <fjordan@debian.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 400817@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@computer.org>
To: 400817@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#400817: xephem conflicts with x11-common in sid, becomes uninstallable
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:37:08 +0100
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
2006/11/30, Alvaro Martinez Echevarria <ame@acm.org>:
>> ------------------- Reason -------------------
>> RoM; license problems.
>>
>> So this bug won't be fixed in Debian.
>
>Well, let's think about this a little bit. According to what I
>read in 270695, there's a problem with one specific catalog,
>which is derived from the Yale catalog for which it is not clear
>if redistribution of modifications is allowed.

It is clear that redistribution of modifications is *not* allowed. We
have no evidence to the contrary.

> But there's a yale
>package in the system containing the original data.

True, I separated star catalogs which did not have a free license to
non-free a while back. This includes yale
(http://packages.debian.org/unstable/science/yale).

You will find a good introduction on the attempts to separate non-free
data at Kevin McCarthy's page: http://people.debian.org/~kmccarty/
(starplot upstream and Debian maintainer) which produced the
'startdata-common' package
(http://packages.debian.org/unstable/science/stardata-common)

We have been very quiet on this issues, but you can also find some
more information browsing the 'startdata-common' information (Mailing
list: http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/stardata-common-devel/,
CVS: 
http://alioth.debian.org/plugins/scmcvs/cvsweb.php/stardata-common/?cvsroot=stardata-common)
although the work there is stalled there.

AFAIK, currently only Starplot uses the gliese or yale packages, in
such a way that, if they are installed before the package they will
get converted to Starplot's format.

>So, big deal:
>I volunteer to write a small program that will generate YBS.edb
>in xephem format from the contents of the original yale catalog,
>hence getting around the licensing problems. Would that be
>acceptable? Javi, what do you think? (incidentally, I know Javi
>from school many years ago :).

Writting a script similar to the one used by Starplot should not be
too difficult and is entirely acceptable. If implemented that would
mean that xephem could be re-introduced into Debian.

The question would remain, however, if Xephem could work *without*
that catalog (or with a DFSG-free one, such as Hipparcos). I.e. if
xephem needs to be installed with yale and have a stardata catalogue
then it would have to be moved over to contrib (as it would Depend: on
non-free stuff), if it can work standalone (without installing
non-free stuff or by converting a DFSG stardata catalogue ) it could
be kept in main.

Consequently, if xephem was converted to be able to use also the
Hipparcos catalogue (or any other free catalogue) it could be kept in
main. BTW, this is what I did for Openuniverse, although I have not
(yet) made the Hipparcos data set a separate package complying with
the policy implemented in 'stardata-common'.

HTH

Javier
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Sun, 17 Jun 2007 16:44:28 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Fri Apr 18 08:50:33 2014; Machine Name: beach.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.