Debian Bug report logs - #388212
Request for Pseudopackage: debian-i18n

Package: bugs.debian.org; Maintainer for bugs.debian.org is Debian Bug Tracking Team <owner@bugs.debian.org>;

Reported by: Gerfried Fuchs <alfie@ist.org>

Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 09:03:09 UTC

Severity: wishlist

Tags: moreinfo

Done: Joerg Jaspert <joerg@ganneff.de>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Gerfried Fuchs <alfie@ist.org>, debian-i18n@lists.debian.org, Debian Bug Tracking Team <owner@bugs.debian.org>:
Bug#388212; Package bugs.debian.org. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to Gerfried Fuchs <alfie@ist.org>, debian-i18n@lists.debian.org, Debian Bug Tracking Team <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com>
To: submit@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Request for Pseudopackage: debian-i18n
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 01:46:43 -0700
Package: bugs.debian.org
Severity: wishlist
Tag: moreinfo
 * Submitter: Gerfried Fuchs <alfie@ist.org>

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> At the the i18n Extremadura Meeting[1] we discussed how to be able
> to handle i18n and l10n bugs more conveniently and having a way to
> be able to track those things more closely. The various ways our BTS
> currently offers where discussed and we came to the conclusion that
> a pseudo package in which we can put metatags for transitions and
> tracking bugs amongst different packages and/or languages would help
> most.

Can you give me a list of bugs which you plan on assigning to this
pseudopackage and ideally a set of bugs which have appropriate tags
applied using usertags and/or the extant tags?

[See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=337733#10 for
what I've been asking for in the case of new tags; what I need to be
convinced for new pseudopackages is basically the same.]

(The bugs to be assigned to the pseudopackage should most likely
currently be assigned to the general pseudopackage.)

A (terse! ;-)) explanation of why the current l10n tag coupled with
user tags isn't cutting the mustard would also be helpful too; and if
you really want to make my life easier, write up a description of the
pseudopackage. [http://www.debian.org/Bugs/pseudo-packages]


Don Armstrong

-- 
If you have the slightest bit of intellectual integrity you cannot
support the government. -- anonymous

http://www.donarmstrong.com              http://rzlab.ucr.edu



Changed Bug submitter from Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com> to Gerfried Fuchs <alfie@ist.org>. Request was from Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Bug Tracking Team <owner@bugs.debian.org>:
Bug#388212; Package bugs.debian.org. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to "Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)" <felipe@cathedrallabs.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Bug Tracking Team <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #12 received at 388212@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: "Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)" <felipe@cathedrallabs.org>
To: debian-i18n@lists.debian.org
Cc: 388212@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Request for Pseudopackage: debian-i18n
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 09:21:40 -0300
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 09/19/2006 06:35 AM, Frans Pop wrote:
> (Replying only to list for discussion.)
> 
> I was not in Extremadura, so this is mostly a request for clarification...
> 
> On Tuesday 19 September 2006 10:21, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> 
>> At the the i18n Extremadura Meeting[1] we discussed how to be able to
>>handle i18n and l10n bugs more conveniently and having a way to be able
>>to track those things more closely.  The various ways our BTS currently
>>offers where discussed and we came to the conclusion that a pseudo
>>package in which we can put metatags for transitions and tracking bugs
>>amongst different packages and/or languages would help most.
> 
> Is this intended to also track translation bugs?
> If so, I wonder if that is not duplicating existing or future mechanisms.
> 
> For Dutch translations, we track open bugs on http://dutch.debian.net/.
> And other teams use similar pages and IIUC it is in principle available 
> for all teams. I would expect such a service to be integrated into the 
> new i18n infrastructure.
> 
> If you just want to track transitions then user tagging the relevant bugs 
> could IMO work just as well with user set to debian-i18n@l.d.o. You don't 
> need a pseudo package for that.
> A pseudo package would only be needed if you want to file "umbrella" bugs 
> that could then be blocked by other bugs.

	That's exactly what we have in mind.

	Our "master plan" is to have a pseudo package to hold what we
call "meta bugs", which are aimed to control different types of i18n
related problems, like po-debconf transition, po4a related bugs,
new-gettext and a short list of already identified situations.

	One of the other use cases for "debian-i18n" pseudo package
is to receive call for help from package maintainers about different
types of i18n problems, including font support, locales system, l10n
and translations itself.

	The new pseudo-package should be a useful to the new i18n
"Task Force". Don, that's just for reference, I'm sure that Gerfried
and others could provide some more informations and background to
explain why we would like the pseudo-package.



> Cheers,
> FJP

	Kind regards,

- --
Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)
"Debian. Freedom to code. Code to freedom!"
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Debian - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFFD+DUCjAO0JDlykYRAlgpAJ0ZpbYl3BBiZEjnTsA8HexhLB8f6wCeKrz7
l7UhwxwQU/cl1bFw+PIB0Qk=
=c0ZT
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----



Tags added: moreinfo Request was from Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Bug Tracking Team <owner@bugs.debian.org>:
Bug#388212; Package bugs.debian.org. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to "Andreas Tille" <tillea@gmail.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Bug Tracking Team <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #19 received at 388212@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: "Andreas Tille" <tillea@gmail.com>
To: 388212@bugs.debian.org
Cc: "Debian I18N" <debian-i18n@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: Request for Pseudopackage: debian-i18n
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 21:03:44 +0200
Hi,

according to recent discussion on the debian-i18n mailing list I
would really support the idea of this pseudopackage.  You might
like to read for instance the posting

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2008/07/msg00272.html

where I feel a big need to report bugs (at least three from this
mail and one or two others come to mind quickly).  For a description
which bugs to report I would suggest the following:

   The Debian I18n team has developed a set of tools (which
   are DDTP, DDTSS, Pootle (and others?) which are used to
   support translations inside Debian.  These tools can be
   compared to tools developed by the Debian QA team. While
   there is no certain package which contains the code because
   the tools are just intended to run on a dedicated machine
   we need a chance to report bugs, track feature requests and
   provide patches.

Please add this pseudopackage soon preferably before DebCamp
to increase the workflow of the I18n team.

Kind regards and thanks for maintaining bugs.debian.org

       Andreas.

-- 
http://fam-tille.de




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Bug Tracking Team <owner@bugs.debian.org>:
Bug#388212; Package bugs.debian.org. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to owner@bugs.debian.org:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Bug Tracking Team <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #24 received at 388212@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Don Armstrong <don@debian.org>
To: Andreas Tille <tillea@gmail.com>, 388212@bugs.debian.org
Cc: owner@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#388212: Request for Pseudopackage: debian-i18n
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:18:03 -0700
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Andreas Tille wrote:
> according to recent discussion on the debian-i18n mailing list I
> would really support the idea of this pseudopackage.  You might
> like to read for instance the posting

>     http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2008/07/msg00272.html
> 
> where I feel a big need to report bugs (at least three from this
> mail and one or two others come to mind quickly).

File them against general (or whatever existing pseudo package is most
appropriate) and I'll reassign them when I create the pseudopackage.

I also need to know which mailing list/person is going to be
responsible for the psuedopackage. You also should review
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=388212#5 and make
sure that everything that I asked for there has been provided.


Don Armstrong

-- 
It has always been Debian's philosophy in the past to stick to what
makes sense, regardless of what crack the rest of the universe is
smoking.
 -- Andrew Suffield in 20030403211305.GD29698@doc.ic.ac.uk

http://www.donarmstrong.com              http://rzlab.ucr.edu




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Debian Bug Tracking Team <owner@bugs.debian.org>:
Bug#388212; Package bugs.debian.org. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Debian Bug Tracking Team <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #29 received at 388212@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org>
To: Andreas Tille <tillea@gmail.com>, 388212@bugs.debian.org
Cc: Debian I18N <debian-i18n@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Bug#388212: Request for Pseudopackage: debian-i18n
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:22:35 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
> From: Don Armstrong <don@debian.org>

> 
> File them against general (or whatever existing pseudo package is most
> appropriate) and I'll reassign them when I create the pseudopackage.
> 
> I also need to know which mailing list/person is going to be
> responsible for the psuedopackage. You also should review
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=388212#5 and make
> sure that everything that I asked for there has been provided.


That would be debian-i18n@l.d.o


[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Reply sent to Joerg Jaspert <joerg@ganneff.de>:
You have taken responsibility. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to Gerfried Fuchs <alfie@ist.org>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #34 received at 388212-done@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Joerg Jaspert <joerg@ganneff.de>
To: 388212-done@bugs.debian.org, 480408-done@bugs.debian.org
Subject: created
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 22:11:36 +0200
Hi

done, both created.

-- 
bye, Joerg
<HE> liw: Ah, but now I'm old enough, so can I adopt your sex?
<HE> liw: Or do I need to hijack it?




Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Wed, 01 Oct 2008 07:26:56 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Sat Apr 19 19:51:55 2014; Machine Name: buxtehude.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.