Debian Bug report logs - #364092
RM: mxv -- Ro??; old, buggy, maintainer probably MIA

Package: ftp.debian.org; Maintainer for ftp.debian.org is Debian FTP Master <ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org>;

Reported by: Julien Danjou <acid@debian.org>

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:04:29 UTC

Severity: normal

Done: Debian Archive Maintenance <ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, James Troup and others <ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org>:
Bug#364092; Package ftp.debian.org. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Julien Danjou <acid@debian.org>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to James Troup and others <ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Julien Danjou <acid@debian.org>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: RM: mxv -- old, buggy, maintainer probably MIA
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 16:03:17 +0200
Package: ftp.debian.org
Severity: normal

Hello,

Please consider removing mxv from the archive.
It is old, has at least one RC bug ATM, does not compile anymore
and the maintainer mail address is no more routeable.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: testing/unstable
  APT prefers unstable
  APT policy: (500, 'unstable'), (1, 'experimental')
Architecture: i386 (i686)
Shell:  /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash
Kernel: Linux 2.6.16-1-686-smp
Locale: LANG=C, LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)



Changed Bug title. Request was from "Adam D. Barratt" <debian-bts@adam-barratt.org.uk> to control@bugs.debian.org. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, James Troup and others <ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org>:
Bug#364092; Package ftp.debian.org. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 364092@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org>
To: 364092@bugs.debian.org
Cc: Julien Danjou <acid@debian.org>, Matt Flax <flatmax@ieee.org>
Subject: Re: RM: mxv -- old, buggy, maintainer probably MIA
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 11:59:40 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Re: Julien Danjou 2006-04-21 <20060421140317.4564.85276.reportbug@abydos.adm.naquadah.org>
> Package: ftp.debian.org
> Severity: normal
> 
> Hello,
> 
> Please consider removing mxv from the archive.
> It is old, has at least one RC bug ATM, does not compile anymore
> and the maintainer mail address is no more routeable.

Hi,

I've been in contact with Matt about his packages. He's busy with his
PhD right now, and has pondered giving up some for adoption. His mail
address still works. (That is, it worked 5 weeks ago.)

Matt, what's with 'mxv'? Can we remove that or is it still useful?

Christoph
-- 
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, James Troup and others <ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org>:
Bug#364092; Package ftp.debian.org. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Matt Flax <flatmax@ieee.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to James Troup and others <ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 364092@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Matt Flax <flatmax@Matt.Flax>
To: Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org>, 364092@bugs.debian.org, Julien Danjou <acid@debian.org>, Matt Flax <flatmax@ieee.org>
Subject: Re: RM: mxv -- old, buggy, maintainer probably MIA
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 21:28:45 +1000
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Indeed,

I think it may be time to file for VAC now ... sorry about my lack of 
time. I know we are all really busy here, and my PhD doesn't really give 
me an excuse... but I can also propose something a little better ...

I have decided to do the following :
a] First I have Blind Carbon Copied (BCC) the creater of 'mxv' to 
see if he is interested in maintaining it as his entry skills test to 
join the Debian distribution. May he please answer back if he is 
interested.

b] Decided to make Debain a first release point of my WSOLA and other 
packages I have released here ... this should cut down my work load and 
yet keep my code maintained ... probably at the next release of the 
packages ...
If there a bug problems ... and the severity is really bad ... like 
serious ... then they should be removed from Debian so as not to stop 
the next release cycle. If the bugs aren't really that bad I will 
re-assign them to more reaslistic severity settings ...

thanks
Matt
--
http://www.flatmaxstudios.com/
http://www.flatmax.org

Public Projects :
http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=mffm




On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 11:59:40AM +0200, Christoph Berg wrote:
> Re: Julien Danjou 2006-04-21 <20060421140317.4564.85276.reportbug@abydos.adm.naquadah.org>
> > Package: ftp.debian.org
> > Severity: normal
> > 
> > Hello,
> > 
> > Please consider removing mxv from the archive.
> > It is old, has at least one RC bug ATM, does not compile anymore
> > and the maintainer mail address is no more routeable.
> 
> Hi,
> 
> I've been in contact with Matt about his packages. He's busy with his
> PhD right now, and has pondered giving up some for adoption. His mail
> address still works. (That is, it worked 5 weeks ago.)
> 
> Matt, what's with 'mxv'? Can we remove that or is it still useful?
> 
> Christoph
> -- 
> cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/



-- 
http://www.flatmaxstudios.com/
http://www.flatmax.org

Public Projects :
http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=mffm

[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, James Troup and others <ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org>:
Bug#364092; Package ftp.debian.org. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Douglas Scott <netdscott@netscape.net>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to James Troup and others <ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 364092@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Douglas Scott <netdscott@netscape.net>
To: Matt Flax <flatmax@ieee.org>
Cc: Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org>, 364092@bugs.debian.org, Julien Danjou <acid@debian.org>
Subject: Re: RM: mxv -- old, buggy, maintainer probably MIA
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 20:56:55 -0700
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Yes, of course I am interested in maintaining mxv.  Has there been a 
discussion of problems with compiling it?  Has my mailing address, 
"mixviews@create.ucsb.edu", gone out of service?  I have continued to 
work slowly on MiXViews over the past few years.  It is available 
elsewhere besides Debian, which (I hate to say) seems to always be a 
version or 3 behind.

Just give me the details on what needs to be done.  I build mxv from 
source on my Linux box at home on a regular basis.

-Douglas Scott

flatmax@Matt.Flax wrote:

>Indeed,
>
>I think it may be time to file for VAC now ... sorry about my lack of 
>time. I know we are all really busy here, and my PhD doesn't really give 
>me an excuse... but I can also propose something a little better ...
>
>I have decided to do the following :
>a] First I have Blind Carbon Copied (BCC) the creater of 'mxv' to 
>see if he is interested in maintaining it as his entry skills test to 
>join the Debian distribution. May he please answer back if he is 
>interested.
>
>b] Decided to make Debain a first release point of my WSOLA and other 
>packages I have released here ... this should cut down my work load and 
>yet keep my code maintained ... probably at the next release of the 
>packages ...
>If there a bug problems ... and the severity is really bad ... like 
>serious ... then they should be removed from Debian so as not to stop 
>the next release cycle. If the bugs aren't really that bad I will 
>re-assign them to more reaslistic severity settings ...
>
>thanks
>Matt
>--
>http://www.flatmaxstudios.com/
>http://www.flatmax.org
>
>Public Projects :
>http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=mffm
>
>
>
>
>On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 11:59:40AM +0200, Christoph Berg wrote:
>  
>
>>Re: Julien Danjou 2006-04-21 <20060421140317.4564.85276.reportbug@abydos.adm.naquadah.org>
>>    
>>
>>>Package: ftp.debian.org
>>>Severity: normal
>>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>Please consider removing mxv from the archive.
>>>It is old, has at least one RC bug ATM, does not compile anymore
>>>and the maintainer mail address is no more routeable.
>>>      
>>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I've been in contact with Matt about his packages. He's busy with his
>>PhD right now, and has pondered giving up some for adoption. His mail
>>address still works. (That is, it worked 5 weeks ago.)
>>
>>Matt, what's with 'mxv'? Can we remove that or is it still useful?
>>
>>Christoph
>>-- 
>>cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/
>>    
>>
>
>
>
>  
>
[Message part 2 (text/html, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, James Troup and others <ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org>:
Bug#364092; Package ftp.debian.org. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #23 received at 364092@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org>
To: Douglas Scott <netdscott@netscape.net>
Cc: Matt Flax <flatmax@ieee.org>, 364092@bugs.debian.org, Julien Danjou <acid@debian.org>
Subject: Re: RM: mxv -- old, buggy, maintainer probably MIA
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 12:32:26 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Re: Douglas Scott 2006-05-02 <4456D887.8070609@netscape.net>
> Just give me the details on what needs to be done.  I build mxv from 
> source on my Linux box at home on a regular basis.

Currently, mxv fails to build on Sid because ivtools-dev is
uninstallalable:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  ivtools-dev: Depends: xlibs-dev but it is not installable

The ivtools maintainer is looking for someone to take over the
package since 2002, see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=164800
where one failed attempt is documented.

So as it looks, ivtools and maybe even ace have to be fixed first.

Christoph
-- 
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, James Troup and others <ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org>:
Bug#364092; Package ftp.debian.org. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Douglas Scott <netdscott@netscape.net>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to James Troup and others <ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #28 received at 364092@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Douglas Scott <netdscott@netscape.net>
To: myon@debian.org
Cc: Matt Flax <flatmax@ieee.org>, 364092@bugs.debian.org, Julien Danjou <acid@debian.org>
Subject: Re: RM: mxv -- old, buggy, maintainer probably MIA
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 22:17:49 -0700
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
I dont even know what "ace" is.  I have to admit I know nothing of the 
way Debian makes software available.  I have all the InterViews software 
patched to the point that it will compile on my Linux box (I use 
Mandriva).  I am perfectly happy to supply someone else with the updated 
code, but that would be the extent of my involvement.

-Doug

myon@debian.org wrote:

>Re: Douglas Scott 2006-05-02 <4456D887.8070609@netscape.net>
>  
>
>>Just give me the details on what needs to be done.  I build mxv from 
>>source on my Linux box at home on a regular basis.
>>    
>>
>
>Currently, mxv fails to build on Sid because ivtools-dev is
>uninstallalable:
>
>The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>  ivtools-dev: Depends: xlibs-dev but it is not installable
>
>The ivtools maintainer is looking for someone to take over the
>package since 2002, see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=164800
>where one failed attempt is documented.
>
>So as it looks, ivtools and maybe even ace have to be fixed first.
>
>Christoph
>  
>
[Message part 2 (text/html, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, James Troup and others <ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org>:
Bug#364092; Package ftp.debian.org. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #31 received at 364092@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org>
To: Douglas Scott <netdscott@netscape.net>
Cc: Matt Flax <flatmax@ieee.org>, 364092@bugs.debian.org, Julien Danjou <acid@debian.org>
Subject: Re: RM: mxv -- old, buggy, maintainer probably MIA
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 07:50:16 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Re: Douglas Scott 2006-05-06 <445C317D.7010601@netscape.net>
> I dont even know what "ace" is.  I have to admit I know nothing of the 
> way Debian makes software available.  I have all the InterViews software 
> patched to the point that it will compile on my Linux box (I use 
> Mandriva).  I am perfectly happy to supply someone else with the updated 
> code, but that would be the extent of my involvement.

Hi Doug,

I've fixed ivtools (aka InterViews), but it has yet to pass the "NEW
queue", i.e. it will hit the archive within the next days. I'll follow
up again here when this has happened.

Christoph
-- 
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, James Troup and others <ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org>:
Bug#364092; Package ftp.debian.org. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #34 received at 364092@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org>
To: 372649@bugs.debian.org, 364092@bugs.debian.org
Cc: Douglas Scott <netdscott@netscape.net>, Julien Danjou <acid@debian.org>
Subject: mxv and ivtools
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:27:11 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
reassign 378525 ivtools
thanks

Here's a summary about the current situation of ivtools and mxv in
Debian:

ace:
 ace is a Build-Dependency of ivtools. ace currently fails to build on
 hppa due to internal compiler errors. That will hopefully resolve
 itself soon. Because the -dev package is uninstallable, ivtools does
 not build either there.

ivtools:
 I've NMUed ivtools for the X.org transition (moving stuff to /usr
 from /usr/X11R6), thought it looks like there are some paths still
 pointing at the old location. (See #378525.)

 The source is a big mess of Imakefiles, I'm not going to spend any
 more time on it - sorry.

mxv:
 There's also #280302, but it includes a patch. So once ivtools is
 fixed, mxv could be built again.

If anyone is interested in taking over mxv maintenance in Debian, they
probably have to take over ivtools as well - the current maintainer
has RFA'ed the package.

About the removal request of mxv (#364092), I suggest waiting for a
reply from Douglas.

Douglas: if you have questions about anything in this mail, please ask
me - though I'm not going to fix any of the bugs myself.

Christoph
-- 
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/
[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Reply sent to Debian Archive Maintenance <ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org>:
You have taken responsibility. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to Julien Danjou <acid@debian.org>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #39 received at 364092-close@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Debian Archive Maintenance <ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org>
To: 364092-close@bugs.debian.org
Cc: mxv@packages.debian.org, mxv@packages.qa.debian.org
Subject: Bug#364092: fixed
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 10:54:33 -0700
We believe that the bug you reported is now fixed; the following
package(s) have been removed from unstable:

       mxv |     1.32-3 | source, alpha, arm, hppa, i386, ia64, m68k, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390, sparc

Note that the package(s) have simply been removed from the tag
database and may (or may not) still be in the pool; this is not a bug.
The package(s) will be physically removed automatically when no suite
references them (and in the case of source, when no binary references
it).  Please also remember that the changes have been done on the
master archive (ftp-master.debian.org) and will not propagate to any
mirrors (ftp.debian.org included) until the next cron.daily run at the
earliest.

Packages are never removed from testing by hand.  Testing tracks
unstable and will automatically remove packages which were removed
from unstable when removing them from testing causes no dependency
problems.

Bugs which have been reported against this package are not automatically
removed from the Bug Tracking System.  Please check all open bugs and
close them or re-assign them to another package if the removed package
was superseded by another one.

Thank you for reporting the bug, which will now be closed.  If you
have further comments please address them to 364092@bugs.debian.org.

This message was generated automatically; if you believe that there is
a problem with it please contact the archive administrators by mailing
ftpmaster@debian.org.

Debian distribution maintenance software
pp.
Joerg Jaspert (the ftpmaster behind the curtain)



Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Mon, 18 Jun 2007 23:56:22 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Fri Apr 18 21:13:27 2014; Machine Name: beach.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.