Debian Bug report logs - #351900
dpkg remove should remove unedited conffiles

version graph

Package: dpkg; Maintainer for dpkg is Dpkg Developers <debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org>; Source for dpkg is src:dpkg.

Reported by: Greg Kochanski <gpk@kochanski.org>

Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 11:03:11 UTC

Severity: wishlist

Tags: wontfix

Found in version dpkg/1.13.11.0.1

Done: Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Dpkg Developers <team@dpkg.org>:
Bug#351900; Package dpkg. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Greg Kochanski <gpk@kochanski.org>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to Dpkg Developers <team@dpkg.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Greg Kochanski <gpk@kochanski.org>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: dpkg remove should remove unedited conffiles
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 10:56:04 +0000
Package: dpkg
Version: 1.13.11.0.1
Severity: wishlist



Installing are removing a package leave a bunch
of cruft on your system.    All the packages
conffiles are left, cluttering up /etc.

Now, it makes lots of sense to leave package configuration
information around, so that if one re-installs a package,
it comes back in the same state.    But what if the
state is the default configuration?

Then there is no need to keep it.

I suggest that dpkg delete un-edited conffiles when
removing packages, in the interests of cleanliness.

Alternatively, dpkg could be more conservative,
and only delete conffiles if no conffile has been
edited.

Either way, it'll reduce the litter in my /etc directory.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: testing/unstable
  APT prefers testing
  APT policy: (500, 'testing')
Architecture: i386 (i686)
Shell:  /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash
Kernel: Linux 2.6.12-1-686
Locale: LANG=en_GB, LC_CTYPE=en_GB (charmap=ISO-8859-1)

Versions of packages dpkg depends on:
ii  coreutils [textutils]         5.2.1-2.1  The GNU core utilities
ii  libc6                         2.3.5-8    GNU C Library: Shared libraries an

dpkg recommends no packages.

-- no debconf information



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Dpkg Developers <team@dpkg.org>:
Bug#351900; Package dpkg. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Dpkg Developers <team@dpkg.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 351900@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>
To: Greg Kochanski <gpk@kochanski.org>, 351900@bugs.debian.org
Cc: control@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#351900: dpkg remove should remove unedited conffiles
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 05:34:36 +0200
tag 351900 wontfix
thanks sir

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:56:04AM +0000, Greg Kochanski wrote:
> Package: dpkg
> Version: 1.13.11.0.1
> Severity: wishlist

> Installing are removing a package leave a bunch
> of cruft on your system.    All the packages
> conffiles are left, cluttering up /etc.

> Now, it makes lots of sense to leave package configuration
> information around, so that if one re-installs a package,
> it comes back in the same state.    But what if the
> state is the default configuration?

> Then there is no need to keep it.

> I suggest that dpkg delete un-edited conffiles when
> removing packages, in the interests of cleanliness.

> Alternatively, dpkg could be more conservative,
> and only delete conffiles if no conffile has been
> edited.

> Either way, it'll reduce the litter in my /etc directory.

I think you want to purge the packages instead of just removing them.

I'll tag wontfix for now as I don't see the point, if some one else
on the team disagrees, please tag accordingly.

regards,
guillem



Tags added: wontfix Request was from Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Dpkg Developers <team@dpkg.org>:
Bug#351900; Package dpkg. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Greg Kochanski <gpk@kochanski.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Dpkg Developers <team@dpkg.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #17 received at 351900@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Greg Kochanski <gpk@kochanski.org>
To: Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>
Cc: 351900@bugs.debian.org, control@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#351900: dpkg remove should remove unedited conffiles
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:50:11 +0000

Guillem Jover wrote:

>>I suggest that dpkg delete un-edited conffiles when
>>removing packages, in the interests of cleanliness.
>>Either way, it'll reduce the litter in my /etc directory.
> 
> 
> I think you want to purge the packages instead of just removing them.
> 
> I'll tag wontfix for now as I don't see the point, if some one else
> on the team disagrees, please tag accordingly.

The point is that no one actively wants or needs those
un-modified configuration files.   Here's an analogy:
you go to the store and buy some trousers, but they
don't fit so you take them back.      When you return
from the store, you see the shopping bag on your bed.
Do you (a) leave it on the bed, or (b) bin it/recycle it?


Yes, I could purge the packages instead, but
using purge regularly is a bad idea, because sooner or
later you're going to purge something that you need.

Also, when packages are automatically removed by
apt-get dist-upgrade, I'll bet that a "remove" is done,
not a "purge".    Consequently, cruft accumulates automatically,
and you don't always have the option to purge.



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Dpkg Developers <team@dpkg.org>:
Bug#351900; Package dpkg. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Dpkg Developers <team@dpkg.org>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #22 received at 351900@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>
To: Greg Kochanski <gpk@kochanski.org>, 351900@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#351900: dpkg remove should remove unedited conffiles
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 15:27:00 +0100
On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 09:50:11AM +0000, Greg Kochanski wrote:
> Also, when packages are automatically removed by
> apt-get dist-upgrade, I'll bet that a "remove" is done,
> not a "purge".    Consequently, cruft accumulates automatically,
> and you don't always have the option to purge.

Just one little addition: While apt-get dist-upgrade
removes packages, apt-get --purge dist-upgrade will purge them.

Gruesse,
-- 
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>
www: http://www.djpig.de/



Tags removed: wontfix Request was from Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Tags added: wontfix Request was from Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Fri, 06 Feb 2009 14:03:06 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Reply sent to Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>:
You have taken responsibility. (Wed, 27 Apr 2011 03:42:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to Greg Kochanski <gpk@kochanski.org>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. (Wed, 27 Apr 2011 03:42:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #31 received at 351900-done@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>
To: Greg Kochanski <gpk@kochanski.org>, 351900-done@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#351900: dpkg remove should remove unedited conffiles
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 05:39:42 +0200
Hi!

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 09:50:11 +0000, Greg Kochanski wrote:
> Guillem Jover wrote:
> > > I suggest that dpkg delete un-edited conffiles when
> > > removing packages, in the interests of cleanliness.
> > > Either way, it'll reduce the litter in my /etc directory.

> > I think you want to purge the packages instead of just removing them.
> >
> > I'll tag wontfix for now as I don't see the point, if some one else
> > on the team disagrees, please tag accordingly.

> The point is that no one actively wants or needs those
> un-modified configuration files.   Here's an analogy:
> you go to the store and buy some trousers, but they
> don't fit so you take them back.      When you return
> from the store, you see the shopping bag on your bed.
> Do you (a) leave it on the bed, or (b) bin it/recycle it?

The problem with your analogy is that dpkg considers a removed
conffile as a modification, so if --remove would remove those then
when reinstalling such packages it would not install the new versions
of those conffiles.

> Yes, I could purge the packages instead, but
> using purge regularly is a bad idea, because sooner or
> later you're going to purge something that you need.

Well the safe choice is to remove them, and only purge whatever you
are sure you'll not need in the future.

I'm thus closing this bug report.

thanks,
guillem




Bug archived. Request was from Debbugs Internal Request <owner@bugs.debian.org> to internal_control@bugs.debian.org. (Wed, 25 May 2011 07:32:28 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Sun Apr 20 23:58:33 2014; Machine Name: beach.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.