Debian Bug report logs - #277944
Printing to cups-pdf fails silently; no errors, no output.

version graph

Package: cups-pdf; Maintainer for cups-pdf is Debian CUPS Maintainers <pkg-cups-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>; Source for cups-pdf is src:cups-pdf.

Reported by: "Herman Robak" <herman@opera.com>

Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 16:18:02 UTC

Severity: normal

Found in version 1.6.3-1

Done: Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>

Bug is archived. No further changes may be made.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>:
Bug#277944; Package cups-pdf. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to "Herman Robak" <herman@opera.com>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: "Herman Robak" <herman@opera.com>
To: submit@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Printing to cups-pdf fails silently; no errors, no output.
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 18:00:56 +0200
Package: cups-pdf
Version: 1.6.3-1

When I print a test page to the cups-pdf virtual printer
from the CUPS web interface, or using lpr -P(printer name),
I get no errors, and no output in /var/spool/cups-pdf/SPOOL/.

The print jobs get listed in "completed jobs", as if every-
thing went OK.

-- 
Herman Robak



Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>:
Bug#277944; Package cups-pdf. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 277944@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>
To: Herman Robak <herman@opera.com>, 277944@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#277944: Printing to cups-pdf fails silently; no errors, no output.
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:11:35 +0300 (EEST)
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Herman Robak wrote:

> Package: cups-pdf
> Version: 1.6.3-1
> 
> When I print a test page to the cups-pdf virtual printer
>  from the CUPS web interface, or using lpr -P(printer name),
> I get no errors, and no output in /var/spool/cups-pdf/SPOOL/.
> 
> The print jobs get listed in "completed jobs", as if every-
> thing went OK.

Please send /var/log/cups/cups-pdf_log and /var/log/cups/error_log to the above
277944@bugs.debian.org address, so that we can see what might have gone wrong.

-- 
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant
http://www.iki.fi/q-funk/




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>:
Bug#277944; Package cups-pdf. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to "Herman Robak" <herman@opera.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 277944@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: "Herman Robak" <herman@opera.com>
To: 277944@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#277944: Printing to cups-pdf fails silently; no errors, no output.
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:57:08 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
På Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:11:35 +0300 (EEST), skrev Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>:

> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Herman Robak wrote:
>
>> Package: cups-pdf
>> Version: 1.6.3-1
>>
>> When I print a test page to the cups-pdf virtual printer
>>  from the CUPS web interface, or using lpr -P(printer name),
>> I get no errors, and no output in /var/spool/cups-pdf/SPOOL/.
>>
>> The print jobs get listed in "completed jobs", as if every-
>> thing went OK.
>
> Please send /var/log/cups/cups-pdf_log

 It's empty, 0 bytes.


> and /var/log/cups/error_log

 It does not contain much relevant for cups-pdf,
but I have attached error_log.2.gz, which covers
the period I tried using cups-pdf.
 It starts with a ton of entries from last time
I ran cupsys, when it went completely postal and
filled up the harddrive with temporary files.
 The relevant entries (if any) are at the end of
the file.

-- 
Herman Robak
[error_log.2.gz (application/x-gzip, attachment)]

Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>:
Bug#277944; Package cups-pdf. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Volker Christian Behr <behr@physik.uni-wuerzburg.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 277944@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Volker Christian Behr <behr@physik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
To: Herman Robak <herman@opera.com>, 277944@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#277944: Printing to cups-pdf fails silently; no errors, no output.
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:52:15 +0200
Hello,

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 10:57, Herman Robak wrote:
> På Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:11:35 +0300 (EEST), skrev Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>:
> 
> > On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Herman Robak wrote:
> >
> >> Package: cups-pdf
> >> Version: 1.6.3-1
> >>
> >> When I print a test page to the cups-pdf virtual printer
> >>  from the CUPS web interface, or using lpr -P(printer name),
> >> I get no errors, and no output in /var/spool/cups-pdf/SPOOL/.

The output should be either in /var/spool/cups-pdf/<username> or a
subdirectory of the user's home (the latter one is the default on Debian
afaik). /var/spool/cups-pdf/SPOOL/ will only contain files during PDF
creation.

> >> The print jobs get listed in "completed jobs", as if every-
> >> thing went OK.
> >
> > Please send /var/log/cups/cups-pdf_log
> 
>   It's empty, 0 bytes.

This is very strange since on Debian the package definitely has logging
enabled.

> 
> > and /var/log/cups/error_log
> 
>   It does not contain much relevant for cups-pdf,
> but I have attached error_log.2.gz, which covers
> the period I tried using cups-pdf.
>   It starts with a ton of entries from last time
> I ran cupsys, when it went completely postal and
> filled up the harddrive with temporary files.
>   The relevant entries (if any) are at the end of
> the file.

You are right - according to the error_log the call to cups-pdf worked
fine.

So - just to make sure the logging is enabled as I supposed: one
question to the maintainer (Martin-Eric): the Debian package is compiled
with loglevel 3 ?

Volker


-- 

Volker Christian Behr
Experimentelle Physik V (Biophysik), Physikalisches Institut
Universitaet Wuerzburg, Am Hubland, 97074 Wuerzburg, Germany

Office: Room F-069a
+49-931-888-5766 (phone)
+49-931-888-5851 (fax)




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>:
Bug#277944; Package cups-pdf. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #25 received at 277944@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>
To: Volker Christian Behr <behr@physik.uni-wuerzburg.de>, 277944@bugs.debian.org
Cc: Herman Robak <herman@opera.com>
Subject: Re: Bug#277944: Printing to cups-pdf fails silently; no errors, no output.
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:04:30 +0300 (EEST)
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Volker Christian Behr wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 10:57, Herman Robak wrote:
> > På Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:11:35 +0300 (EEST), skrev Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>:
> > 
> > > On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Herman Robak wrote:
> > >
> > >> Package: cups-pdf
> > >> Version: 1.6.3-1
> > >>
> > >> When I print a test page to the cups-pdf virtual printer
> > >>  from the CUPS web interface, or using lpr -P(printer name),
> > >> I get no errors, and no output in /var/spool/cups-pdf/SPOOL/.
> 
> The output should be either in /var/spool/cups-pdf/<username> or a
> subdirectory of the user's home (the latter one is the default on Debian
> afaik). /var/spool/cups-pdf/SPOOL/ will only contain files during PDF
> creation.

$HOME/cups-pdf

> > >> The print jobs get listed in "completed jobs", as if every-
> > >> thing went OK.
> > >
> > > Please send /var/log/cups/cups-pdf_log
> > 
> >   It's empty, 0 bytes.
> 
> This is very strange since on Debian the package definitely has logging
> enabled.

> So - just to make sure the logging is enabled as I supposed: one
> question to the maintainer (Martin-Eric): the Debian package is compiled
> with loglevel 3 ?

I use "#define CPLOGTYPE 1" since CUPS already logs all activity, so the only
thing I really need are eventual cups-pdf errors.

-- 
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant
http://www.iki.fi/q-funk/




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>:
Bug#277944; Package cups-pdf. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Volker Christian Behr <behr@physik.uni-wuerzburg.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #30 received at 277944@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Volker Christian Behr <behr@physik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
To: Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>, 277944@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#277944: Printing to cups-pdf fails silently; no errors, no output.
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:34:47 +0200
On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 15:04, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Volker Christian Behr wrote:
> 
> > On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 10:57, Herman Robak wrote:
> > > På Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:11:35 +0300 (EEST), skrev Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>:
> > > 
> > > > On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Herman Robak wrote:
> > > >
> > > >> Package: cups-pdf
> > > >> Version: 1.6.3-1
> > > >>
> > > >> When I print a test page to the cups-pdf virtual printer
> > > >>  from the CUPS web interface, or using lpr -P(printer name),
> > > >> I get no errors, and no output in /var/spool/cups-pdf/SPOOL/.
> > 
> > The output should be either in /var/spool/cups-pdf/<username> or a
> > subdirectory of the user's home (the latter one is the default on Debian
> > afaik). /var/spool/cups-pdf/SPOOL/ will only contain files during PDF
> > creation.
> 
> $HOME/cups-pdf

Ok, in this case please check in the home directory of the printing user
for a subdirectory called "cups-pdf" and whether it contains any files.

> > > >> The print jobs get listed in "completed jobs", as if every-
> > > >> thing went OK.
> > > >
> > > > Please send /var/log/cups/cups-pdf_log
> > > 
> > >   It's empty, 0 bytes.
> > 
> > This is very strange since on Debian the package definitely has logging
> > enabled.
> 
> > So - just to make sure the logging is enabled as I supposed: one
> > question to the maintainer (Martin-Eric): the Debian package is compiled
> > with loglevel 3 ?
> 
> I use "#define CPLOGTYPE 1" since CUPS already logs all activity, so the only
> thing I really need are eventual cups-pdf errors.
-- 

Volker Christian Behr
Experimentelle Physik V (Biophysik), Physikalisches Institut
Universitaet Wuerzburg, Am Hubland, 97074 Wuerzburg, Germany

Office: Room F-069a
+49-931-888-5766 (phone)
+49-931-888-5851 (fax)




Information forwarded to debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org, Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>:
Bug#277944; Package cups-pdf. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to "Herman Robak" <herman@opera.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #35 received at 277944@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: "Herman Robak" <herman@opera.com>
To: 277944@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#277944: Printing to cups-pdf fails silently; no errors, no output.
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:42:19 +0200
På Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:04:30 +0300 (EEST), skrev Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>:

> $HOME/cups-pdf

 There it was!  Thank you!  My home directory is rather
crowded, so I need to know what to look for.  I see this
is mentioned with one line in the changelog in README.Debian;
this may be a bit too terse.

-- 
Herman Robak



Reply sent to Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>:
You have taken responsibility. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Notification sent to "Herman Robak" <herman@opera.com>:
Bug acknowledged by developer. Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #40 received at 277944-close@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox):

From: Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>
To: 277944-close@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#277944: Printing to cups-pdf fails silently; no errors, no output.
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:59:03 +0300 (EEST)
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Herman Robak wrote:

> På Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:04:30 +0300 (EEST), skrev Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi>:
> 
> > $HOME/cups-pdf
> 
>   There it was!  Thank you!  My home directory is rather crowded, so I need
> to know what to look for.  I see this is mentioned with one line in the
> changelog in README.Debian; this may be a bit too terse.

There is no manual page since this is not a command or configuration file, so
the only possible place to document this is in a README, which is what we have.
As such, I'm hereby closing this bug report. :)

-- 
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant
http://www.iki.fi/q-funk/




Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Debian bug tracking system administrator <owner@bugs.debian.org>. Last modified: Sun Apr 20 00:04:47 2014; Machine Name: buxtehude.debian.org

Debian Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.